ckayy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ckayy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Calisthenics Split Routine for size/strength

I was wondering if I could gain size and strength doing this calisthenics split routine? I was taught that stimulation is stimulation, the body doesn't care if it's from a dumbbell or your own body weight. A lot of the main calisthenic exercises (push ups, pull ups, dips etc...) are compound movements, and if I keep the rep ranges in between 6-12, I should be able to make gains in strength should I not?

I plan on keeping the rep ranges in between 6-12 by adding weight to the exercises when I exceed 12 reps. This guy seemed to do well on a calisthenic routine, granted he did a full body routine 3x a week not training to failure, while I on the other hand would train every working set to failure, while doing a SPLIT routine. Do you MY routine would yield positive results?

By the way, here's the video of the guy I was talking about:

youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CBIaU3mXiQ0

My routine: (Not all, but the majority of them are calisthenics)

Day 1: Chest, Shoulders, and Triceps:
    Push Ups: 4-6setsx6-12reps
    Shoulder DB Press: 3setsx6-12reps
    Dips: 2-3setsx6-12reps

Day 3: Legs:
    Bulgarian Split Squat: 4-6setsx6-12reps
    RDL/Swiss Ball Curl: 2-3setsx6-12reps
    Calf Raises: 3-4setsx6-12reps

Day 5: Back and Biceps:
    Pull Ups: 3setsx6-12reps
    Inverted Rows: 3setsx6-12reps
    Chin Ups: 2-3setsx6-12reps

All suggestions are appreciated, thanks!
    Last edited by ckayy; 05-13-2012 at 09:16 PM.

ckayy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ckayy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Anyone lol?

Never give up, never surrender. BUMP!

MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000)
    Lift weights.

warren56 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I got pretty big pretty quick from my old school 18x prep workout. it was almost entirely calisthenics. really it was a lot of overtraining which makes no sense to me, but I ran 4 times a week and on the days I wasn't running or swimming I did workouts of 6 to 800 pushups in supersets where I would do say a set of 100 pushups (when I was advanced) then immediately do 10 moderate weight bicep curls then 15 skull crushers with the same weight. It doesn't make sense to me, but I went from 14 to 18" arms... then again, I hadn't done serious upper body work before in my life so maybe it was just constant hyperinflation. either way, my arms and chest were pretty big when I did that prep work. That's not counting the leg or core workouts tho. but if you always keep going beyond what your body has done before, Id say youre pretty much guaranteed to get stronger, at least mentally.