TrevorN83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Could I be a D End?

I'm playing offensive tackle right now and I hate it because I'm too small. I wanna try out a new position and I liked defense before so could I convert to D End? I'm a freshman in highschool.
    I'm 6'0"
    168 Pounds
    170 max bench
    215 squat
    275 dead lift
    5.4 40 yard dash

I know my stats aren't great, what could I be doing to improve them? I want to improve my speed
    Tips are appreciated

AthELiTE7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AthELiTE7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AthELiTE7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AthELiTE7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by TrevorN83 View Post
    I'm playing offensive tackle right now and I hate it because I'm too small. I wanna try out a new position and I liked defense before so could I convert to D End? I'm a freshman in highschool.
    I'm 6'0"
    168 Pounds
    170 max bench
    215 squat
    275 dead lift
    5.4 40 yard dash

I know my stats aren't great, what could I be doing to improve them? I want to improve my speed
    Tips are appreciated
    To be a D End I think you need to be a little faster and have a more explosive upper body. If you are 168 lbs you should be able to bench more than your body weight. To be honest your lifts in general need to be higher. Also, how old are you and what is your shuttle time? You have to be quick and accelerate well to be a DE.
    "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breath, then you will be successful"

Sophomore Football Highlights http://www.hudl.com/athlete/875481/

Bench/Squat
    Start: 45lbs/95lbs~Sept 2010
    Now: 210lbs/225lbs

40 Yard Dash
    Start: 5.3~Sept 2010
    Now: 4.73

Vertical
    Start: 22~Sept 2010
    Now: 34 (48in Box Jump)

Shuttle
    Start: 4.6~April 2012
    Now: 4.3

14 years old. And I could improve that stuff. What would you recommend some exercises I do?

SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by AthELiTE7 View Post
    To be a D End I think you need to be a little faster and have a more explosive upper body. If you are 168 lbs you should be able to bench more than your body weight. To be honest your lifts in general need to be higher. Also, how old are you and what is your shuttle time? You have to be quick and accelerate well to be a DE.
    when your 14/15, those numbers aren't going to be impressive. You body isnt at that stage where you are going to excel in those things. So trying to use your 40 times and shuttle times to determine what position you should player or how good of a player you could be will be highly inaccurate. When I was a freshman, I was probably the fastest person on the team, but my 40 time was still slow. At 14/15, a 40 time in the mid 5's is actually pretty damn good. Thats where I was at that age. As you mature, you body is able to go to higher levels of fitness. So if he is 14 and runs a 5.4 and is playing DE on the freshman team...he will be the fastest DE on the team and faster than most people on the team. Very talented athletes at that age and level still can't put up those numbers, but a lot of people don't understand that.

I'm actually quite slow for my team. I mean, I'm not a scrawny little kid. I've got meat on my bones, the only thing holding me back is that I still have a bit of fat on me. Just not OLine fat.

SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I'm actually quite slow for my team. I mean, I'm not a scrawny little kid. I've got meat on my bones, the only thing holding me back is that I still have a bit of fat on me. Just not OLine fat.
    If you run the 40 in the mid to low 5's, then as a freshman, you are faster than most on the team. Not saying you are the fastest, but it is very unlikely that any 14/15 year old will break into the 4's. I believe I first got my 40 tested when I was a sophomore. I remember it being in the low 5's. something like 5.2-5.3. Maybe 5.1ish, idk but i was "fast" for my level. When I was a sr i ran high 4.6's. and rand the 3rd best time on my team. Now, these are hand times. I would be slower with electronic. I would be somewhere in the low 4.8's, high 4.7's with electronic. I was lazy in hs, rarely took working out serious. So it wasn't like I improved my 40 by doing a speed program or anything, it was just do to playing a few years of football, running track and maturing. I probably could have gotten a little bit better time If I would have taken it serious.

But the point is that at your age and level, the speedsters most likely wont be getting into the 4.9's. There body is just not developed enough to do that.

Plus, as a DE, your 40 time doesnt matter. Its your burst/acceleration that matters. You don't have to run 40 yards to the qb or rb. So just work on your acceleration and techniques
    Last edited by SDOptimist; 05-11-2012 at 05:11 PM.

Ight, and what exercises would be best for explosiveness and acceleration?

AthELiTE7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AthELiTE7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AthELiTE7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AthELiTE7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by SDOptimist View Post
    when your 14/15, those numbers aren't going to be impressive. You body isnt at that stage where you are going to excel in those things. So trying to use your 40 times and shuttle times to determine what position you should player or how good of a player you could be will be highly inaccurate. When I was a freshman, I was probably the fastest person on the team, but my 40 time was still slow. At 14/15, a 40 time in the mid 5's is actually pretty damn good. Thats where I was at that age. As you mature, you body is able to go to higher levels of fitness. So if he is 14 and runs a 5.4 and is playing DE on the freshman team...he will be the fastest DE on the team and faster than most people on the team. Very talented athletes at that age and level still can't put up those numbers, but a lot of people don't understand that.
    Yeah this is why i was asking his age...
    "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breath, then you will be successful"

Bench/Squat

40 Yard Dash

Vertical

Shuttle

Ight, and what exercises would be best for explosiveness and acceleration?
    Plyometric training is good for explosion i believe. You could also do hill sprints. There is a guy who trains people specifically for this stuff on youtube. He is legit. Look up twicethespeed1 on youtube. He has videos on exercises for accleration, deceration, quickness, speed, jumping, upperbody explosion, the kind of training an athlete should do. As far as lifting weights, a better fast twitch muscle fiber ratio can be acheived by lifting heavy weights for low reps. If you are able to perform 5 reps, it isn't enough weight. Many will tell you low weight and high reps is for fast twitch training because you are pushing the weight faster but they are wrong.

Bench/Squat

40 Yard Dash

Vertical

Shuttle

I'll have to check that guy out, so do you think at StrongLifts 5x5 workout would be good for training? Or would I be better off doing all compound lifts, with low reps, high sets? i.e. 5x3?

30Sacks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 30Sacks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 30Sacks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 30Sacks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 30Sacks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 30Sacks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Compound lifts low reps high sets like you said is best. But make sure you RUN. IF you want to get faster get stronger and run. Also if your practicing to become a D-End make sure your developing your skills and moves for that position. Your first 10 yds is all thats important at that position. And that initial explosion will come from a sold strength and plyo program. Do your compound lifts in the 3 rep range and polish your D-end moves and you'll be a factor this season on the line

mhsfball09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mhsfball09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mhsfball09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mhsfball09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mhsfball09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mhsfball09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mhsfball09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mhsfball09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mhsfball09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mhsfball09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mhsfball09 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    So I saw both threads that you made and looks like you could use a little help haha With your wt and everyhting that your at right now, I think DE would prob be a good option for you to try out. Like everyone else said your gonna need to get your wt, speed, and strentgh all up though to really make an impact. But honestly your young, being 14 and only a freshman if you eat right and lift right you should have no problem with making the necessary gains you need. As for your lifting I'm not real sure if the 5x5 routine is the best thing. If I were you I would talk to your coach and try and talk to some of the older guys on the team, try and work witht them in the offseason and see if they can give you any tips. But you need to hit your main lifts like bench, squat, and deadlift but also need to add in things for explosiveness. Do some cleans, pulls, lunges, and work on plyos to really help make you more explosive. As for reps on your exercises it really depends on how much wt your using and what lifts your performing. I honestly dont agree with what athelite7 said about if your able to do 5 reps than its not enough weight. I can tell you that if all you do is low reps for heavy wt all the time your just gonna burn yourself out, I made this mistake when I was in HS. I play football now for a D3 college and when we do our main lifts we go in in the 3-8 range and with other lifts we'll do even more wt. But if you have any questions just ask and I'll try and help
    Current.....................Goal
    Bench: 365x4(4/23/12).............375x5
    Squat: 415x6(4/24/12).............435x5
    HangClean 265x5(4/24/12)........285x5

*Complete* Sponsored MHP X Fit Trainer Log http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=145452481&p=894725811#post894725811

*COMPLETE* Sponsored New Shock Therapy Log http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=143537873