WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

Red Meat: Good or Bad For Fat Loss?

Some great info here.

Red Meat – good or bad for fat loss and body fat control?
    by Monica Molica

Consumption of red meat has been associated with fat gain (and weight gain) because of its high energy and fat content. Even though the role of fat intake as a causative factor for obesity recently has been seriously questioned, and rightly so, red meat still is a food that’s on the forbidden or avoid list of most diet plans. And while there are studies showing an association between meat intake and obesity [1-3], there are also studies not showing this [3-5]. And when digging deeper in the data, many of the studies that have reported a significant association with meat intake and fat gain / obesity have several flaws that invalidate their conclusions….

Meat consumption and long term weight change

One of the latest, and largest study to date on this topic, concluded [6]:

“Total meat consumption was positively associated with weight gain in men and women, in normal-weight and overweight subjects, and in smokers and nonsmokers. With adjustment for estimated energy intake, meat intake of 250 g/d (eg, one steak at approximately 450 kcal) would lead to a 2-kg higher weight gain after 5 years compared to the same diet with less meat. Positive associations were observed for red meat, poultry, and processed meat”.

This is a pretty bold statement! However a closer look at its methodology and data reveals major weaknesses:

First; usual dietary intake was assessed only at baseline and not during the subsequent years. It is well recognized that peoples food habits often change over time. And it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to understand that in order to track changes over time, at least two measurements are required. And the baseline food intake assessment was done with questionnaires, which are infamous for being inaccurate [7-9]. Using a methodology that begs the question “how bad is good enough” will obviously not provide very reliable data [8].

Second; in several centers, participants who consumed more meat actually had less weight gain, whereas those with lower meat consumption had higher weight gain. Despite this, and despite the very large number of participants (about 103,000 men and 270,000 women), the researchers behind this study lumped them all together in the statistical analysis. Also, the assessment of physical activity, which is strongly related to food habits [10], was done via self administered questionnaires, which do not accurately reflect objective physical activity or fitness data [11, 12]. Therefore, the stated adjustment for a possible influence of physical activity on the observed weight change, cannot be relied upon.

Third; the researchers reported an effect based on a combination of meat sources, but their analyses indicate that after exclusion of participants with chronic diseases and those likely to misreport energy intake at baseline, the following was found:

Cont: Red Meat – good or bad for fat loss and body fat control?
    BrinkZone, Where Bro-Science Got Rabies and Died!

www.BrinkZone.com

Check out my BrinkZone mini site on BB.com at:

www.bodybuilding.com/fun/willbrink.htm

=> President and Founder of Shaved head with goatee Crew
    => Science over bro science Crew

Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Great Article, I like the analysis and simple bottom line.
    My Reverse Diet Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153750981&p=1077733831#post1077733831

Seven6Two will become famous soon enough. (+50) Seven6Two will become famous soon enough. (+50) Seven6Two will become famous soon enough. (+50) Seven6Two will become famous soon enough. (+50) Seven6Two will become famous soon enough. (+50) Seven6Two will become famous soon enough. (+50) Seven6Two will become famous soon enough. (+50) Seven6Two will become famous soon enough. (+50) Seven6Two will become famous soon enough. (+50) Seven6Two will become famous soon enough. (+50) Seven6Two will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Good, no nonsense read.

lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Hi, Will Brink

WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by lee__d View Post
    Hi, Will Brink
    Yo

www.BrinkZone.com

Part II of BrinkZone author Monica Mollica series on the benefits of red meat!

Another MUST READ article that clears up a lot of confusion regarding red meat: benefits, risks, etc.

http://www.brinkzone.com/articles/re...e-wrong-thing/

www.BrinkZone.com

JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I eat a burger and 3 pork ribs nearly every day. 2lbs a week lost on average

Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    ive eaten 6oz of steak every day for the past 2 years (literally every single day), it has had zero effect on me, its just food.
    There is always someone less fortunate, with real hunger, with real adversity, who made something of themselves. What is your excuse?

stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I cut out red meat for a while and it was a negative result. God gave us that to eat for a reason. But as with anything in moderation.
    Why do I do this weightlifting thing for the last 34 years with all its ups and downs life has handed me? Because each time I came back stronger. NEVER GIVE UP. Gym life is about more than muscles getting bigger and weights going up. Its wisdom discipline dedication humility you name it.

divinations will become famous soon enough. (+50) divinations will become famous soon enough. (+50) divinations will become famous soon enough. (+50) divinations will become famous soon enough. (+50) divinations will become famous soon enough. (+50) divinations will become famous soon enough. (+50) divinations will become famous soon enough. (+50) divinations will become famous soon enough. (+50) divinations will become famous soon enough. (+50) divinations will become famous soon enough. (+50) divinations will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Good read, however I found it interesting that no mention was made of grain fed vs. grass fed in this article (although it comes up in the comments). The benefits of grass fed beef from a nutritional standpoint are well established at this point (proper ratio of omega3 to omega 6, higher CLA content etc.). Maybe it has to do with the fact that this "eat to grow" company that was heavily plugged at the end of the article does not seem to offer grass fed.

stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by divinations View Post
    Good read, however I found it interesting that no mention was made of grain fed vs. grass fed in this article (although it comes up in the comments). The benefits of grass fed beef from a nutritional standpoint are well established at this point (proper ratio of omega3 to omega 6, higher CLA content etc.). Maybe it has to do with the fact that this "eat to grow" company that was heavily plugged at the end of the article does not seem to offer grass fed.
    Would organic meat be grass fed then. I like that the grass fed is healthier so I might switch because of your info.

edit I just read in the case of walmart which is who I was going to buy the organic meat from this would only mean organic grain no grass at all. Maybe ill look here locally since i live near farm land.
    Last edited by stingray72; 05-20-2012 at 05:06 PM.
    Why do I do this weightlifting thing for the last 34 years with all its ups and downs life has handed me? Because each time I came back stronger. NEVER GIVE UP. Gym life is about more than muscles getting bigger and weights going up. Its wisdom discipline dedication humility you name it.

krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Nice article OP; even better join date.
    www.grazethesky.com

divinations will become famous soon enough. (+50) divinations will become famous soon enough. (+50) divinations will become famous soon enough. (+50) divinations will become famous soon enough. (+50) divinations will become famous soon enough. (+50) divinations will become famous soon enough. (+50) divinations will become famous soon enough. (+50) divinations will become famous soon enough. (+50) divinations will become famous soon enough. (+50) divinations will become famous soon enough. (+50) divinations will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by stingray72 View Post
    Would organic meat be grass fed then. I like that the grass fed is healthier so I might switch because of your info.

edit I just read in the case of walmart which is who I was going to buy the organic meat from this would only mean organic grain no grass at all. Maybe ill look here locally since i live near farm land.
    Correct, organic does not mean grass fed. If it's grass fed, it'll say so prominently on the label. Best if it says "grass fed and grass finished," as some animals (many bison for example) graze in the pasture for part of their life and are "finished" on a grain diet.

For chickens/eggs, stay away from anything that's been fed a "vegetarian diet," as this is a tipoff that it's grain fed. Healthy chickens/eggs are the ones roaming the pasture eating worms and bugs (usually labeled "free range").

Your local farmer's market or food coop will likely have what you're looking for. Near me even some of the bigger grocery chains at least have grass fed beef. (Rain Crow Ranch is a very good brand--and you can order from their website if you can't find any good stuff locally).

Correct, organic does not mean grass fed. If it's grass fed, it'll say so prominently on the label. Best if it says "grass fed and grass finished," as some animals (many bison for example) graze in the pasture for part of their life and are "finished" on a grain diet.

For chickens/eggs, stay away from anything that's been fed a "vegetarian diet," as this is a tipoff that it's grain fed. Healthy chickens/eggs are the ones roaming the pasture eating worms and bugs (usually labeled "free range").

Your local farmer's market or food coop will likely have what you're looking for. Near me even some of the bigger grocery chains at least have grass fed beef. (Rain Crow Ranch is a very good brand--and you can order from their website if you can't find any good stuff locally).
    Thanks for the info. Id give you reps but i have to recharge. Ill get ya tomorrow.

edit I found some beef grass and hay fed for 4.50 a pound locally.
    Last edited by stingray72; 05-20-2012 at 05:45 PM.

bballer_13_13 is not very well liked. (-100) bballer_13_13 is not very well liked. (-100) bballer_13_13 is not very well liked. (-100) bballer_13_13 is not very well liked. (-100) bballer_13_13 is not very well liked. (-100) bballer_13_13 is not very well liked. (-100) bballer_13_13 is not very well liked. (-100) bballer_13_13 is not very well liked. (-100) bballer_13_13 is not very well liked. (-100) bballer_13_13 is not very well liked. (-100) bballer_13_13 is not very well liked. (-100)
    its all about calories. I really don't think the source of the calories really matters in terms of weight

Not mentioned because it's a separate topic.

www.BrinkZone.com

Originally Posted by krete77 View Post
    Nice article OP; even better join date.
    Been on BB.com a long time, yup

www.BrinkZone.com

Read the f***** stickies. justmightbecraz's Avatar
    justmightbecraz will become famous soon enough. (+50) justmightbecraz will become famous soon enough. (+50) justmightbecraz will become famous soon enough. (+50) justmightbecraz will become famous soon enough. (+50) justmightbecraz will become famous soon enough. (+50) justmightbecraz will become famous soon enough. (+50) justmightbecraz will become famous soon enough. (+50) justmightbecraz will become famous soon enough. (+50) justmightbecraz will become famous soon enough. (+50) justmightbecraz will become famous soon enough. (+50) justmightbecraz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Just goes to show you that red meat has gotten the same bad rap and treatment as butter, and reinforces one of the oldest pieces of wisdom passed along in human civilization: "Everything in moderation."
    USMC Veteran 2000-2005

Personal
    Responsibility
    In
    Daily
    Efforts

Oct-2011: 340 lbs. ~45% BF Start 1st Cut
    Apr-2012: 263 lbs. ~32% BF
    Oct-2012: 215 lbs. ~23% BF End 1st Cut, Start 1st Bulk

urbanlamb will become famous soon enough. (+50) urbanlamb will become famous soon enough. (+50) urbanlamb will become famous soon enough. (+50) urbanlamb will become famous soon enough. (+50) urbanlamb will become famous soon enough. (+50) urbanlamb will become famous soon enough. (+50) urbanlamb will become famous soon enough. (+50) urbanlamb will become famous soon enough. (+50) urbanlamb will become famous soon enough. (+50) urbanlamb will become famous soon enough. (+50) urbanlamb will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by stingray72 View Post
    I cut out red meat for a while and it was a negative result. God gave us that to eat for a reason. But as with anything in moderation.
    I agree...I struggle a lot with keeping my iron levels up and the key for me is to include red meat twice a week. Chicken/fish the rest of the time. When I cut out the red meat completely, it really affected my energy and performance in the gym. As with anything...moderation. Since I'm losing weight, I watch the fat and only select lean cuts of course.
    ~Whatever you do today, do it a little harder, a little faster, and a little better than yesterday~
    ~Weight lost so far...52 pounds~
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=145533131&p=896417851#post896417851

Moody72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Moody72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Moody72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Moody72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Moody72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Moody72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Moody72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Moody72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Moody72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Moody72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Moody72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Keep your proportion sizes to a fist-size. Problem solved.
    Ur not mirin'

JacobWalford is on a distinguished road. (+10) JacobWalford is on a distinguished road. (+10) JacobWalford is on a distinguished road. (+10) JacobWalford is on a distinguished road. (+10) JacobWalford is on a distinguished road. (+10) JacobWalford is on a distinguished road. (+10) JacobWalford is on a distinguished road. (+10) JacobWalford is on a distinguished road. (+10) JacobWalford is on a distinguished road. (+10) JacobWalford is on a distinguished road. (+10) JacobWalford is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Great info, thanks.
    It's not over.