ramone2485 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramone2485 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramone2485 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramone2485 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramone2485 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramone2485 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramone2485 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramone2485 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramone2485 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramone2485 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramone2485 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Will HIIT cardio hurt my muscle growth?

I have a condition called Dysarthria. Whenever I talk, I feel like I get out of air/wind quickly, so I was thinking that increasing my stamina would fix this. Cause of that, I was thinking of doing cardio every day, but I hear that doing cardio that often would hurt your muscle growth. I'm also bulking right now.

Then I found out about HIIT cardio. It seems like a lot of muscular guys do HIIT cardio, so I was thinking of doing that every day.

I'm currently bulking, so I don't want to lose any muscle mass, so would this work? Maybe only do HIIT for 5-10 minutes every day or something?

ramone2485 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramone2485 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramone2485 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramone2485 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramone2485 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramone2485 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramone2485 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramone2485 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramone2485 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramone2485 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramone2485 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this question. I'm new on this board.

buildingalways has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) buildingalways has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) buildingalways has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) buildingalways has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) buildingalways has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) buildingalways has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) buildingalways has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by ramone2485 View Post
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this question. I'm new on this board.
    it wont hurt your muscle growth unless you do it excessively. 15-20 mins would be good, you would want to stay in your 75-85% max hr so 220-26 = 194 is your max hr so I would stay in between 165-170 at most.How you can check if your running to hard is the talk test if you cant have a conversation and your gasping/ pausing you need to bring the speed down.

k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000)
    ........so I was thinking of doing that every day.

I'm currently bulking, so I don't want to lose any muscle mass, so would this work?
    I wouldn't try to do actual HIIT every day. It is extremely taxing. 2 times a week is enough. Doing it too often will more than likely effect your recovery.

Originally Posted by buildingalways View Post
    it wont hurt your muscle growth unless you do it excessively. 15-20 mins would be good, you would want to stay in your 75-85% max hr so 220-26 = 194 is your max hr so I would stay in between 165-170 at most.How you can check if your running to hard is the talk test if you cant have a conversation and your gasping/ pausing you need to bring the speed down.
    This is not HIIT. HIIT is all out balls to the wall.

OP, if you have any condition that effects your breathing I couldn't in good conscience advice HIIT, but whatever cardio you choose, my only advice would be to ramp up slowly.

Starting the Slow Cut CertifiedMuscle's Avatar
    CertifiedMuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) CertifiedMuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) CertifiedMuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) CertifiedMuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) CertifiedMuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) CertifiedMuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) CertifiedMuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) CertifiedMuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) CertifiedMuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) CertifiedMuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) CertifiedMuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by k9pit View Post
    I wouldn't try to do actual HIIT every day. It is extremely taxing. 2 times a week is enough. Doing it too often will more than likely effect your recovery.

This is not HIIT. HIIT is all out balls to the wall.

OP, if you have any condition that effects your breathing I couldn't in good conscience advice HIIT, but whatever cardio you choose, my only advice would be to ramp up slowly.
    ^^This, both statements.

OP I would first check with a doctor to make sure that cardio training won't spark something more serious, and once you get clearance then start out easy and work your way up. No reason to jump into it willy-nilly.
    Regarding how cardio affects your bulk, it won't be a problem if you account for it with your caloric intake, and as long as you aren't doing >45 mins 5-6 days a week it shouldn't affect your muscle gains.
    Alba Gu Brath

ISSA CFT

Civil Engineering '13

May The Force be with you, always.

keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000)
    As long as the calories are there to cover it then you'll be fine.

I agree with the suggestions above. Get a all clear from the Doc first.

Then only do HIIT 2-3 times a week. Some people like to think they're doing HIIT but very few train hard enough for HIIT, they usually just do a form of standard interval training.

scotchchris will become famous soon enough. (+50) scotchchris will become famous soon enough. (+50) scotchchris will become famous soon enough. (+50) scotchchris will become famous soon enough. (+50) scotchchris will become famous soon enough. (+50) scotchchris will become famous soon enough. (+50) scotchchris will become famous soon enough. (+50) scotchchris will become famous soon enough. (+50) scotchchris will become famous soon enough. (+50) scotchchris will become famous soon enough. (+50) scotchchris will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You want to avoid 70-90% max heart rate range with cardio, it will impair strength gains.

mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I have a condition called Dysarthria. Whenever I talk, I feel like I get out of air/wind quickly, so I was thinking that increasing my stamina would fix this.
    I think you should simply stop talking.

Starting the Slow Cut CertifiedMuscle's Avatar
    CertifiedMuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) CertifiedMuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) CertifiedMuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) CertifiedMuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) CertifiedMuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) CertifiedMuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) CertifiedMuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) CertifiedMuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) CertifiedMuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) CertifiedMuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) CertifiedMuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by scotchchris View Post
    You want to avoid 70-90% max heart rate range with cardio, it will impair strength gains.
    Where on earth did you get this information?

That's just about the only useful HR range to train at for cardio.
    Alba Gu Brath

ISSA CFT

Civil Engineering '13

May The Force be with you, always.

Well I don't know how to describe my situation, but cardio wont harm me at all. I've been doing it for 3 years. I've done HIIT about 4 times now, with no problems. It's hard to describe it.

I was looking at a website yesterday that outlines a pro sprinter's daily workout routine. 4 times a week, they would do both HIIT cardio and weight lifting about 4 hours later. I'm thinking of possibly doing that. The only thing that concerns me about doing it is the nutrition part. I'm sure they're getting plenty of calories. Me...not so much lol. I don't eat often enough. Prolly 4 meals a day. Would that be enough?

ThumperJones is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThumperJones is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThumperJones is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThumperJones is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThumperJones is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThumperJones is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThumperJones is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThumperJones is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThumperJones is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThumperJones is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThumperJones is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Well I don't know how to describe my situation, but cardio wont harm me at all. I've been doing it for 3 years. I've done HIIT about 4 times now, with no problems. It's hard to describe it.

I was looking at a website yesterday that outlines a pro sprinter's daily workout routine. 4 times a week, they would do both HIIT cardio and weight lifting about 4 hours later. I'm thinking of possibly doing that. The only thing that concerns me about doing it is the nutrition part. I'm sure they're getting plenty of calories. Me...not so much lol. I don't eat often enough. Prolly 4 meals a day. Would that be enough?
    Well you should definitely try to increase your meals to around 6, or at least throw in the extra meal, or take the extra cals in from shakes, but Its how many cals daily your taking in daily that's an issue as well. If your not taking in sufficient calories daily, it will hurt your growth to do it that often and on the same days your weight training, so I'd recommend you don't do that. Do it 2-3 days a week on opposite days of your weightlifting where possible, or up your calories from nutrient dense sources....That would be intesnse training though.

Originally Posted by ThumperJones View Post
    Well you should definitely try to increase your meals to around 6, or at least throw in the extra meal, or take the extra cals in from shakes, but Its how many cals daily your taking in daily that's an issue as well. If your not taking in sufficient calories daily, it will hurt your growth to do it that often and on the same days your weight training, so I'd recommend you don't do that. Do it 2-3 days a week on opposite days of your weightlifting where possible, or up your calories from nutrient dense sources....That would be intesnse training though.
    Thanks! That sounds right. I'll do it about 3x a week then.

China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    The 220bpm minus your age thing is pure BS. There is only one way to find a real maximum but hardly anybody wants to do it because it hurts.

Do a max hr test

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by China505 View Post
    The 220bpm minus your age thing is pure BS. There is only one way to find a real maximum but hardly anybody wants to do it because it hurts.

Do a max hr test
    So you're saying that someone doing 220 minus their age isn't doing their max HR?

IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    On paper, no.

In reality, you'll have to learn to balance the two.

u wot m1.68179283050743⁴ Manc33's Avatar
    Location: Manchester, England, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Manc33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Manc33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Manc33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Manc33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Manc33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Manc33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Manc33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Manc33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Manc33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Manc33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Manc33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I did some "mild" HIIT tonight and it was harrowing lol, I felt sick for about 15 minutes afterwards, my legs were shaking walking downstairs even after 20 minutes rest.

I thought though, surely if I lifted weights as well, and had a diet thats high in protein, I could possibly lose even more fat that way and not lose any muscle, but then I would be lifting to lose fat... maybe switching to "girls weights" (get the reps to above 20) might be best to maintain mass and burn more fat. Normal bulking I use weights I can only lift 6-10 times.

A lack of calories to lose fat combined with lifting weights to bulk up sounds almost insane, but like the above poster said if you balance it, its possible. I don't even know what diet to have for this. You gotta keep the protein up thats for certain.

Right now I am sat here hungry but purposely not eating to keep calories down!

Hell, I wanna just do a load of cardio to get fitter again anyway, you have to be fit to even lift weights. I thought long and hard about losing the fat now, or, bulking now and getting fatter then cutting... I only need to lose like 10lbs of fat, but its the last 10lbs and we all know how hard it is to lose when it gets down to that amount. I think 6 months of cardio and no weights (crazy amounts of cardio!) then after that, I will start lifting.
    u wot m1.68179283050742908606225095246644152⁴

TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i'm not sure about your codition but for most people HIIT cardio actually enhances muscle growth; just look at the quads on sprinters compared to distance runners