Thread: Dilemma

BlueUninvited has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Dilemma

I'm at a bit of a crossroads and need some advice. After a lifetime of not taking care of myself and yo-yo dieting with little exercise, I've been in the gym and eating properly for the last 2.5 months. I hired a personal trainer to get me on a routine and have been sticking to it. I'm more than aware progress takes time--and I'm actually noticing some changes for the better. I have more energy, my lifts have gone up, and my body is showing some signs of leaning out.

I'm 5'7 and about 152lbs and there is noticeable body fat around my gut, arms and chest. I'm lifting weights 5-6 times a week with cardio interspersed. Amazingly, my weight has only dropped a pound or two since I began. My diet is clean, I count calories and watch my macros. Right now, I'm consuming between 1600-1700 calories daily, with roughly a 45/35/20 carbs, protein, fat split. I'm eating about 150g of protein daily.

I am aware that the damage I've done over the years will not be fixed overnight. I'm more than patient with my transformation. My issue mainly deals with the fact I am getting married in 6 months and am torn about where I should go from here. Obviously I have a good deal of fat that needs to go. I intend to continue cutting until I'm somewhat pleased with where I'm am. However, my concern is that weight will be far too low. I want to lean out, but do not want to be scrawny. And unfortunately, I don't have the time to bulk and then cut before the wedding. Nor do I believe I should be bulking at this point regardless.

Any advice on how to proceed would be much appreciated.
    Attached Images

msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000)
    From your most recent photos, I'd keep cutting. There's not a lot of meat on you, but there's still enough fat that you should be able to make some modest gains while losing another 10lbs or so. Once you lean out a bit more, shifting your focus to a controlled bulk to acquire some lean mass is in order.

astigos will become famous soon enough. (+50) astigos will become famous soon enough. (+50) astigos will become famous soon enough. (+50) astigos will become famous soon enough. (+50) astigos will become famous soon enough. (+50) astigos will become famous soon enough. (+50) astigos will become famous soon enough. (+50) astigos will become famous soon enough. (+50) astigos will become famous soon enough. (+50) astigos will become famous soon enough. (+50) astigos will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    First, fire that personal trainer. You're going to need that money for the wedding.

I'd keep cutting. Drop ten pounds and do a very slow bulk so you don't get fat for your wedding.
    Some people just don't want to hear the simplicity of it all, because then there's no excuse when they fail.

Originally Posted by astigos View Post
    First, fire that personal trainer. You're going to need that money for the wedding.

I'd keep cutting. Drop ten pounds and do a very slow bulk so you don't get fat for your wedding.
    I go to him once every month or so for routine changes. I workout on my own with the routine set out for me. The first picture is from the day I started working out. The second one is last week. Not huge changes, obviously. But any progress is progress.

As for losing another 10 pounds, it has been my intention to do so. Unfortunately, I'm of the belief that losing 10 pounds and then doing a slow bulk within 6 months is impractical if not impossible. Am I incorrect?

csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by msm00b View Post
    From your most recent photos, I'd keep cutting. There's not a lot of meat on you, but there's still enough fat that you should be able to make some modest gains while losing another 10lbs or so. Once you lean out a bit more, shifting your focus to a controlled bulk to acquire some lean mass is in order.
    Agree 100%. Also, for a guy who doesn't have a background of lifting, 5'7", low 140 lbs range, and lean isn't necessarily "scrawny". It's pretty much the middle of the body mass index range.

I do see differences between the photos, but given the time frame available you might want to try and step things up a bit. Regardless of potential (and likely) body composition improvements I would think you should have lost more than a couple of pounds on 1600-1700 kcals a day over 2.5 months.

Originally Posted by csb5731 View Post
    Agree 100%. Also, for a guy who doesn't have a background of lifting, 5'7", low 140 lbs range, and lean isn't necessarily "scrawny". It's pretty much the middle of the body mass index range.

I do see differences between the photos, but given the time frame available you might want to try and step things up a bit. Regardless of potential (and likely) body composition improvements I would think you should have lost more than a couple of pounds on 1600-1700 kcals a day over 2.5 months.
    Thanks. Considering I've never been that low during my teenage or adult life, I had concerns of how I'd look at 140. I'm OK with lean. I'm shooting for that. Looking "little" not so much. As for the weight lost to date, it was a concern of mine as well. However, I've lost at least 3 inches--from 37 to 34--around the waist and have dropped bf% by more than a %.

bigmikey81 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigmikey81 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigmikey81 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigmikey81 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigmikey81 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigmikey81 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigmikey81 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigmikey81 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigmikey81 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigmikey81 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigmikey81 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by BlueUninvited View Post
    I go to him once every month or so for routine changes. I workout on my own with the routine set out for me. The first picture is from the day I started working out. The second one is last week. Not huge changes, obviously. But any progress is progress.

As for losing another 10 pounds, it has been my intention to do so. Unfortunately, I'm of the belief that losing 10 pounds and then doing a slow bulk within 6 months is impractical if not impossible. Am I incorrect?
    If you lose 1lb a week, you will leave yourself with 3.5 months to bulk if you wish. There's plenty of time to recomp your body in 6 months.

I would recommend losing ten pounds, then decide what to do from there. At that point you might want to cut a bit more or bulk. Either way, you'll still have 3 months before your wedding.

Originally Posted by bigmikey81 View Post
    If you lose 1lb a week, you will leave yourself with 3.5 months to bulk if you wish. There's plenty of time to recomp your body in 6 months.

I would recommend losing ten pounds, then decide what to do from there. At that point you might want to cut a bit more or bulk. Either way, you'll still have 3 months before your wedding.
    Sounds like a plan. I'll continue down to 140 and see where I go from there. Thanks.