Sage1095 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sage1095 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sage1095 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

When I do dumbbell chest press it hurts my shoulders and I dont feel it in my chest

What could I be doing wrong & how do I fix it

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Sage1095 View Post
    What could I be doing wrong & how do I fix it
    Hurts as in soreness or pain?

Refine your technique. Maintain some form of scapular retraction throughout the movement.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

BrainDonn is just really nice. (+1000) BrainDonn is just really nice. (+1000) BrainDonn is just really nice. (+1000) BrainDonn is just really nice. (+1000) BrainDonn is just really nice. (+1000) BrainDonn is just really nice. (+1000) BrainDonn is just really nice. (+1000) BrainDonn is just really nice. (+1000) BrainDonn is just really nice. (+1000) BrainDonn is just really nice. (+1000) BrainDonn is just really nice. (+1000)
    keep your elbows in tighter to your body.. dont go as deep at the bottom of your rep

SickStory is not very well liked. (-100) SickStory is not very well liked. (-100) SickStory is not very well liked. (-100) SickStory is not very well liked. (-100) SickStory is not very well liked. (-100) SickStory is not very well liked. (-100) SickStory is not very well liked. (-100) SickStory is not very well liked. (-100) SickStory is not very well liked. (-100) SickStory is not very well liked. (-100) SickStory is not very well liked. (-100)
    When you bring the dumbells down, bring them as wide as you can and then once you've fully extended your arms, you should touch the dumbels together, almost like you're doing flyes, except you're bending your arms.

THElabCHIMP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) THElabCHIMP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) THElabCHIMP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) THElabCHIMP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) THElabCHIMP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) THElabCHIMP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) THElabCHIMP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) THElabCHIMP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) THElabCHIMP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) THElabCHIMP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) THElabCHIMP is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    lower your weight.
    concentrate on form

follow the advice above!

you don't want to get injured unnecessarily.

layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by SickStory View Post
    When you bring the dumbells down, bring them as wide as you can
    If you want to focus on using your chest and taking your shoulders out of the equation, this is wrong information.

Starting at the bottom and with your feet firmly planted, have your arms at ~45 degrees to the sides of your body, pull back and tighten your shoulders blades by pinching them together, and have a slight, natural arch on your back ... push up from this 45 degree angle, keeping your shoulders pinched and the natural arch.

If your keep your arms as wide as you can, ie flaring your elbows, you're heavily incorporating the shoulders.
    "Never attempt to train yourself into a caloric deficit. Don't spend hours on the treadmill. Diet comes first, cardio second. The dumbest fat loss strategy ever devised is used by people that wake up early in the morning before going to work to do cardio and follow that up with "recovery shake." Congratulations, you just wasted two hours of your life." Martin Berkhan

Darwel has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Darwel has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by layarph View Post
    If you want to focus on using your chest and taking your shoulders out of the equation, this is wrong information.

Starting at the bottom and with your feet firmly planted, have your arms at ~45 degrees to the sides of your body, pull back and tighten your shoulders blades by pinching them together, and have a slight, natural arch on your back ... push up from this 45 degree angle, keeping your shoulders pinched and the natural arch.

If your keep your arms as wide as you can, ie flaring your elbows, you're heavily incorporating the shoulders.

^ This is 100% accurate.

Nice post
    -> Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.

Feel free to inbox me any questions you may need to enhance your workout routine, or any questions on bodybuilding in general !

luatkosy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    thank you
    Luật Kosy: http://luatkosy.com.vn
    Trang rao vặt: http://kecho.vn
    Thiết bị xử lý nước: http://hiepphat.vn

preacher of simplicity godsamurai's Avatar
    godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    no matter what form I use, including the most famous standard rule, I always get shoulder pain during inclined dumbell press. The genetic plays huge role sometimes.. I got a friend who feels shoulder pain on the flat db press.
    Dymatize ISO-100 protein: 25g protein, 1 carb, 0 fat, 0 lactose, 0 sugar
    That's all you need.

Personal Dymatize protein review (2011):

CanadianMMM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I was having a similar experience. I've been upping my reps, then upping my weight, etc. I wasn't experiencing that burn in my chest that I used to. I switched to doing chest press on the Smith, pretty heavy weight for me (needed a spot to get the last two reps out) and had the best chest burn I'd had in months!!! I'm going to alternate week to week maybe. Fiddling with it as I was having the same experience as you.

Benjo87 is a complete loser! (-2000) Benjo87 is a complete loser! (-2000) Benjo87 is a complete loser! (-2000) Benjo87 is a complete loser! (-2000) Benjo87 is a complete loser! (-2000) Benjo87 is a complete loser! (-2000) Benjo87 is a complete loser! (-2000) Benjo87 is a complete loser! (-2000) Benjo87 is a complete loser! (-2000) Benjo87 is a complete loser! (-2000) Benjo87 is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Another thing, when you come down on the the negative, make sure the weights are not over your front delts. They should be to the side of your chest. Focus on squeezing with the chest rather than pushing with the shoulders.