Registered User 100americanmade's Avatar
    100americanmade has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Is the Starting Strength program out of reach if...

I recently discovered Mark Rippetoe's starting strength program. After trying his teachings at home I had raised my squat weight tremendously. Problem was it was becoming unsafe and I had yet to reach my potential, i believe. I was having to lift the bar over my head to get it into proper position and it was getting too heavy to do this. I do not have the money for a power rack or even the proper type of barbell. So here is my question...

Is the starting strength program not a good program for someone who has no access to a gym? The closest gym where I live is 2 hours away. Also, no one I know is interested in lifting weights so I can not get spotters to help. I am really getting frustrated because I am naturally lean and small and I am getting discouraged with my gains..or lack of gains. I eat alot close to around 3000 calories a day and work out to the point of failure every session and I do feel the pain the next day. The pain usually lasts 2 to 3 days and it's gone. So I think I am getting enough nutrition.

After reading up on the proven
    results of mark ripptoes program I think I may get better results with it. I am just afraid it may be too unsafe for me. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

emac_fenian is on a distinguished road. (+10) emac_fenian is on a distinguished road. (+10) emac_fenian is on a distinguished road. (+10) emac_fenian is on a distinguished road. (+10) emac_fenian is on a distinguished road. (+10) emac_fenian is on a distinguished road. (+10) emac_fenian is on a distinguished road. (+10) emac_fenian is on a distinguished road. (+10) emac_fenian is on a distinguished road. (+10) emac_fenian is on a distinguished road. (+10) emac_fenian is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    It's probably out of reach until you have the money to get proper equipment (barbell, squat rack) and/or move out of the boonies. Not sure what else there is you can do.
    No need to over-think this lifting weights business.

MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by 100americanmade View Post
    I do not have the money for a power rack or even the proper type of barbell.
    Any barbell will do... for a while. Until you get to really damn heavy weights, I mean. But yes, in the long run, a solid oly bar is the way to go. You can find second hand racks/cages, pretty cheap. Or you should be able to, anyway.

Is the starting strength program not a good program for someone who has no access to a gym?
    No. Maybe check out Dinosaur Training or the like. :/ For the time being, that is. Even some of that requires a rack/cage, so...

I eat alot close to around 3000 calories a day and work out to the point of failure every session
    I recommend against training to failure, unless you're at some advanced stage of lifting, and feel that it's the right thing to do for specific reasons. Even then, I'm not so keen on the idea...

After reading up on the proven results of mark ripptoes program I think I may get better results with it. I am just afraid it may be too unsafe for me. Anyone have any suggestions?
    Not so much unsafe (learn to power clean properly, is a good start, here - after all, it's part of the program) as ineffectual, given your situation.

FNG37 is just really nice. (+1000) FNG37 is just really nice. (+1000) FNG37 is just really nice. (+1000) FNG37 is just really nice. (+1000) FNG37 is just really nice. (+1000) FNG37 is just really nice. (+1000) FNG37 is just really nice. (+1000) FNG37 is just really nice. (+1000) FNG37 is just really nice. (+1000) FNG37 is just really nice. (+1000) FNG37 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by 100americanmade View Post
    I recently discovered Mark Rippetoe's starting strength program. After trying his teachings at home I had raised my squat weight tremendously. Problem was it was becoming unsafe and I had yet to reach my potential, i believe. I was having to lift the bar over my head to get it into proper position and it was getting too heavy to do this. I do not have the money for a power rack or even the proper type of barbell. So here is my question...

Is the starting strength program not a good program for someone who has no access to a gym? The closest gym where I live is 2 hours away. Also, no one I know is interested in lifting weights so I can not get spotters to help. I am really getting frustrated because I am naturally lean and small and I am getting discouraged with my gains..or lack of gains. I eat alot close to around 3000 calories a day and work out to the point of failure every session and I do feel the pain the next day. The pain usually lasts 2 to 3 days and it's gone. So I think I am getting enough nutrition.

After reading up on the proven
    results of mark ripptoes program I think I may get better results with it. I am just afraid it may be too unsafe for me. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.
    To safely progress your squat at the rates SS will have you doing you really need a rack with olympic bar and at least 300#'s to start. There are begginers racks out there starting around $300 new and oly bar sets starting at $200.

Get a cheap bench along with the above and you can safely bench press by yourself with the safety bars set.

Other option would be to watch Craigslist while you save up some cash, just do a quick search and you'll find a whole bunch of deals around your area. Another option would be to make your own, know anyone with a welder?

Good luck.