Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

The World’s #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

Stats: 5'7", 145 lbs
    Randomguy1234 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Randomguy1234 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Randomguy1234 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Randomguy1234 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Randomguy1234 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Randomguy1234 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Randomguy1234 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Randomguy1234 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Randomguy1234 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Randomguy1234 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Randomguy1234 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit Randomguy1234's BodySpace

Weighted Pull Ups vs Bent Over Row & Dips vs Military Press

Are these two exercises extremely effective and worth using in my routine?

Weighted Pull Ups
    Main Muscle Worked: Lats
    Other Muscles: Biceps, Middle Back

Tricep Dips
    Main Muscle Worked: Triceps
    Other Muscles: Chest, Shoulders

Weighted Pull Ups would replace Bent Over Rows, is that worth doing?

Dips would replace the Military Press, is that worth doing? or wouldn't dips hit my shoulders enough

I'm looking to create a full body workout consisting of compound movements. So far I have squats, deadlifts, bench press, bent over row, military press, barbell bicep curl.

Stats: 6'2", 230 lbs
    MichaelCJ has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MichaelCJ has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MichaelCJ has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MichaelCJ has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MichaelCJ has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MichaelCJ has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MichaelCJ has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MichaelCJ has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MichaelCJ has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MichaelCJ has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MichaelCJ has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit MichaelCJ's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by Randomguy1234 View Post
    Are these two exercises extremely effective and worth using in my routine?
    Yes, they are.

Weighted Pull Ups would replace Bent Over Rows, is that worth doing?
    Maybe. Or you could do both.

Dips would replace the Military Press, is that worth doing? or wouldn't dips hit my shoulders enough
    They're not that alike. Dips are much closer to the bench press in every way (though I guess the chest dip is more akin to the decline bench than the flat). The military press doesn't really have any equivalents, that I'm aware of. Er, except for variations of itself...

I'm looking to create a full body workout consisting of compound movements. So far I have squats, deadlifts, bench press, bent over row, military press, barbell bicep curl.
    Good selection, so far. If I were you, I'd opt for an A/B style "full body" routine, instead of doing everything every time. In other words, it'd end up fairly similar (in terms of exercises) to Starting Strength, Stronglifts, etc.

Also, if you want better info on lifts, muscles and more, check out this site: http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html (that's the directory, which is probably the best thing on the site, but the rest is interesting as well).

Randomguy1234 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Randomguy1234 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Randomguy1234 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Randomguy1234 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Randomguy1234 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Randomguy1234 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Randomguy1234 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Randomguy1234 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Randomguy1234 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Randomguy1234 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Randomguy1234 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by MichaelCJ View Post
    Yes, they are.

Maybe. Or you could do both.

They're not that alike. Dips are much closer to the bench press in every way (though I guess the chest dip is more akin to the decline bench than the flat). The military press doesn't really have any equivalents, that I'm aware of. Er, except for variations of itself...

Good selection, so far. If I were you, I'd opt for an A/B style "full body" routine, instead of doing everything every time. In other words, it'd end up fairly similar (in terms of exercises) to Starting Strength, Stronglifts, etc.

Also, if you want better info on lifts, muscles and more, check out this site: http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html (that's the directory, which is probably the best thing on the site, but the rest is interesting as well).
    True, I could do 2 sets of pull ups and 2 for bent over row to get a variety.

Oh right, I would prefer to do incline/flat dumbbell bench press instead of dips to be honest. I thought dips would be a great exercise for my triceps and it'll hit my chest which is a weak point for me. But I don't have any movements which would directly work my shoulders so do you recommend I keep military press?

So it would be something like this:

Squats - 4 sets
    Deadlifts - 4 sets
    Incline Dumbbell Press - 2 sets
    Flat Dumbbell Press - 2 sets
    Dips - 2 sets
    Bent Over Row - 3 sets
    Pull Ups - 3 sets
    Military press - 4 sets

Or is that too much volume for one session?

Yeah I guess it's similiar to those routines lol. So you're saying it would be better to do A & B workout and split the exercises up? Any idea what a good combo is mate? Thanks for the help!

Stats: 6'2", 230 lbs
    MichaelCJ has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MichaelCJ has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MichaelCJ has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MichaelCJ has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MichaelCJ has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MichaelCJ has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MichaelCJ has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MichaelCJ has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MichaelCJ has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MichaelCJ has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MichaelCJ has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit MichaelCJ's BodySpace
    Squats
    Deadlifts
    Incline Dumbbell Press
    Flat Dumbbell Press
    Dips
    Bent Over Row
    Pull Ups
    Military press

Well, splitting those up (if you wanted to, in the end), could go like this:

Squat
    BP
    BOR
    IBP

DL
    MP
    Pullups
    Dips

There's definitely an emphasis on the chest, tris and shoulders (front of, mostly), at this stage - regardless of whether you split it up or not. Also, upper body in general.

Could be there's a more worthy alternative to, say, IBP. And, I hate to say it, but dips also. Much as I love dips, you'd be better off with something totally different in that spot as well. Assuming you don't want to be doing 5 exercises a day, that is. Then again, you could.

Unless, of course, you're wanting to emphasise the chest, triceps and anterior delts, for whatever reason... for a while?

Originally Posted by MichaelCJ View Post
    Squats
    Deadlifts
    Incline Dumbbell Press
    Flat Dumbbell Press
    Dips
    Bent Over Row
    Pull Ups
    Military press

Well, splitting those up (if you wanted to, in the end), could go like this:

Squat
    BP
    BOR
    IBP

DL
    MP
    Pullups
    Dips

There's definitely an emphasis on the chest, tris and shoulders (front of, mostly), at this stage - regardless of whether you split it up or not. Also, upper body in general.

Could be there's a more worthy alternative to, say, IBP. And, I hate to say it, but dips also. Much as I love dips, you'd be better off with something totally different in that spot as well. Assuming you don't want to be doing 5 exercises a day, that is. Then again, you could.

Unless, of course, you're wanting to emphasise the chest, triceps and anterior delts, for whatever reason... for a while?
    That looks decent, I thought military press would be a push movement though? :P. What would be better than incline bench press do you think? And dips aren't exactly NEEDED in my routine I just see alot of people recommending them for triceps, chest and shoulders. What would you replace dips with then?

I am doing 7-8 exercises at the moment and it takes about a hour. I was hoping to drop down to about 5-6 exercises so I can do my workout in 45 minutes and have more intensity doing it.

My chest, triceps and delts are my weakest points, but saying that my entire body needs working on since I'm a beginner. But I would like to focus more on those muscles to be honest (chest, triceps, delts).

Here's what I came up with, not sure if I put the right push/pull exercises though lol

Push (upper legs, chest, triceps, shoulders):

Squats - 4 sets
    Military press - 2 sets
    Dips - 2 sets
    Dumbbell Lateral Raise – 3 sets

Pull (lower legs, traps, back, biceps):

Deadlifts - 4 sets
    Bent Over Row - 2 sets
    Pull Ups - 2 sets
    Bicep Curl – 3 sets
    Barbell Shrug – 3 sets

I added lateral raises, bicep curls and shrugs to hit my shoulders & biceps more, that look good to you mate? Only problem is I'll only be working those muscles twice a week doing A/B/A/B.

I think to build the most muscle I need to hit my muscle groups x3 a week though..which leads me to this routine aswell:

Squats - 4 sets
    Deadlifts - 4 sets
    Military press - 2 sets
    Dips - 2 sets
    Bent Over Row - 2 sets
    Pull Ups - 2 sets

Not sure now! Push/Pull means less exercises but I can only really work my body twice a week, but the full body routine means more exercises but I can train my body three times a week..lol
    Last edited by Randomguy1234; 05-08-2012 at 04:20 AM.