jj2332 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Should I play tight end or d end

I'm playing football for my last year of highschool. I'm 6 3 230lb and my 40 time is a 4.9. I'm wondering if I should try to improve my speed and lean out to play tight end or bulk up to play defensive end. What should I do?

redfield11 is just really nice. (+1000) redfield11 is just really nice. (+1000) redfield11 is just really nice. (+1000) redfield11 is just really nice. (+1000) redfield11 is just really nice. (+1000) redfield11 is just really nice. (+1000) redfield11 is just really nice. (+1000) redfield11 is just really nice. (+1000) redfield11 is just really nice. (+1000) redfield11 is just really nice. (+1000) redfield11 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by jj2332 View Post
    I'm playing football for my last year of highschool. I'm 6 3 230lb and my 40 time is a 4.9. I'm wondering if I should try to improve my speed and lean out to play tight end or bulk up to play defensive end. What should I do?
    unless you are significantly better at one position over the other, do the one you would rather play. The more you enjoy what you're doing, the better you'll do it, and the easier it will be for you to put the work in.

My college roommate was a highly recruited tackle coming out of highschool (also played Dend which he liked more). and he loved playing Dline but got a better scholorship as a tackle (when he played tackle he was more just enjoying football rather then playing tackle). Two weeks into it at college and he hated it so much that he quit because they wouldn't move him to Dline and he did not like tackle at all.
    Point is, a D1 recruit with a HUGE love for football, quit football just because the position he played
    Dallas Cowboys -

Mavericks-

SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by redfield11 View Post
    unless you are significantly better at one position over the other, do the one you would rather play. The more you enjoy what you're doing, the better you'll do it, and the easier it will be for you to put the work in.

My college roommate was a highly recruited tackle coming out of highschool (also played Dend which he liked more). and he loved playing Dline but got a better scholorship as a tackle (when he played tackle he was more just enjoying football rather then playing tackle). Two weeks into it at college and he hated it so much that he quit because they wouldn't move him to Dline and he did not like tackle at all.
    Point is, a D1 recruit with a HUGE love for football, quit football just because the position he played
    SHIIIIITTT thats like the same story of a guy I grew up with and played HS football with.

He was always a really talk and ginormous guy. He played freshman football but then when he was a soph he got moved up to varsity and started at LT and DT. The guy was a beast and really young. probably 6'4 260ish as a soph. Anyways, he didnt like playing football. He never wanted to play after his freshman year but his dad was rich is a big time donor to the school (private high school) and himself played fball for that hs. So he didnt want his son to quite. He forbid it.

So he payed his soon a few hundred dollars every week just to play football. Between his soph and sr year he got 3-4 new cars. Got tired of one and had his dad sell it and get him a new one. Pretty much his dad was ok with this because his son was playing football and was a dominating player. This guy got a scholarship to a Pac10 school. After his first year, he quite. Not because he couldnt handle it, but simply because he had no love for the game.

So to the OP. play the position YOU will enjoy the most playing. Ya if you are really good at one and really bad at the other, then its a easy decision. But if you think you can be good at both, play the one you can see yourself enjoying the most. Thats all that its about.

TFFHQ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TFFHQ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TFFHQ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TFFHQ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TFFHQ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TFFHQ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TFFHQ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TFFHQ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TFFHQ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TFFHQ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TFFHQ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If you don't enjoy playing defense you should train for TE. The fact there's a question suggests that you aren't into hitting.

Either way, you have great size. Wherever you end up playing, you'll still need To train to be as strong, agile & fast as possible.

Definitely update us on your progress.

Good Luck

jj2332 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by TFFHQ View Post
    If you don't enjoy playing defense you should train for TE. The fact there's a question suggests that you aren't into hitting.

Either way, you have great size. Wherever you end up playing, you'll still need To train to be as strong, agile & fast as possible.

Definitely update us on your progress.

Good Luck
    It's not that I don't like making hits, I can tackle as well as block. I just wanted to find out based on my sized which position schools recruits more of and if I would be too small for d end. And I'm probably gunna grow some more since I've grown about 4 inches since last year.

AthELiTE7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AthELiTE7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AthELiTE7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AthELiTE7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jj2332 View Post
    It's not that I don't like making hits, I can tackle as well as block. I just wanted to find out based on my sized which position schools recruits more of and if I would be too small for d end. And I'm probably gunna grow some more since I've grown about 4 inches since last year.
    You say whether you should bulk up or get faster for one or the other...why not do both? You see, speed and muscle size go hand in hand as lifting High weight Low reps(but going full out) increases your fast twitch muscle fibers. Fast twitch are bigger than slow twitch and therefore you get bigger and faster. Theres no reason why you couldn't build more muscle AND do fast twitch specific and plyometric training. Recruiters dont care a much whether you are a DE or TE, only if you are a beast. So get bigger and faster and PLAY BOTH POSITIONS. You get 4 seasons of football in HS, if you can play both O and D, do it. Dont leave any regrets.
    "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breath, then you will be successful"

Sophomore Football Highlights http://www.hudl.com/athlete/875481/

Bench/Squat
    Start: 45lbs/95lbs~Sept 2010
    Now: 210lbs/225lbs

40 Yard Dash
    Start: 5.3~Sept 2010
    Now: 4.73

Vertical
    Start: 22~Sept 2010
    Now: 34 (48in Box Jump)

Shuttle
    Start: 4.6~April 2012
    Now: 4.3

30Sacks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 30Sacks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 30Sacks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 30Sacks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 30Sacks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 30Sacks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    As far as recruiting an elite pass rusher will always be a priority over an elite TE. So if college recruiting is the ultimate reason your asking keep that in mind. But you cant go wrong picking the one you like and becoming the best at it

JakeBoom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Consult your coach.

Your coach is the only one that knows what position you'd be best for...