Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Toned but not muscly

When the women come here on this board and say: I want a toned body, but not muscular,what exactly do they mean by this? What kind of body is toned but not muscular?
    Jennifer Aniston's? Isn't this a matter of genetics/fat distribution rather then specific training?

I know I might be taking this too seriously, but I cringe when I read this - "don't want to become too muscular". I had to work for every ounce of muscle that I got so far. And eat.
    Women are expecting muscle gains when they are eating like birds - not going to happen.
    And by working I mean lifting heavy and doing hard bodyweight exercises like pistol squats, handstand pushups, not the typical "girlie" toning workouts.

Anyway, sorry, I just had to rant today.

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    I don't know about this board, but in gyms when they say that to staff, what they generally mean is that they want to lose fat and gain muscle. If asked, they deny they want more muscle. But when you ask them to describe what they'd like to look like, that's what they mean.

Unfortunately what often happens is that when they get their newbie gains and their weak muscles harden, they panic and stop lifting and rush to the treadmill. Or at best just stick with the same weight, reps and sets forever.

Often they'll express admiration for the women in the gym with larger muscles (often the triathletes), but they feel differently about muscles when they're on their own body.

This, thank god, is not universal.

Put it this way: my gym has 2,400 members. I know of only 4 women training there for serious strength. By "serious strength" I mean they have an open-ended idea of it. They're not just trying to get better posture or stop their back hurting or something, but if you talk about some woman deadlifting 100kg, they say, "wow, do you think I could ever do that?"

Of course, just across the sports oval from my gym is an Olympic weightlifting club, which has several women (overall not a high membership of either gender, ~30 I think). And down in Frankston there's a gym where 16 women are currently deadlifting over 100kg.

There are perhaps 12 men at my gym training for serious strength. Lots of half-squats and light touch-and-go deadlifts. The way you feel about women wanting to "tone up" I feel about men not training legs, wearing long track pants in the heat of summer while they do tricep pressdowns.

Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by juliacheh View Post
    And by working I mean lifting heavy and doing hard bodyweight exercises like pistol squats, handstand pushups, not the typical "girlie" toning workouts.
    crossfit?

I know what you mean by "girlie" workouts..
    It's funny how every woman starting up at the gym says the DON'T wanna build any muscle yet all the wanna do is isolation movements who's primary benefit is building muscle. LOL..

"Can we do something for this jiggly stuff on my triceps?"

"Sure, It's called squats"

"Wait, I dont want my legs to get bigger!!"

*facepalm**
    Sept of Baelor was an inside job. Wildfire can't melt stone masonry.

Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    When the women come here on this board and say: I want a toned body, but not muscular,what exactly do they mean by this? What kind of body is toned but not muscular?
    i'd venture to say something like this:

photoshop + nice genetics + tan.

i always like how their thighs are incredibly smooth and polished to high sheen.
    "The human race is still largely a group of monkeys with slightly better grooming habits. Give them a microscope and and they'll examine their own ****, give them a telescope and they'll go looking for tits."

lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    They think they will get freakishly manly-huge if they lift serious weights. They don't realize it doesn't work that way.

(I cringe when I hear it also)

juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Keltron View Post
    crossfit?
    I like some ideas from crossfit, but generally I'm not a fan. I prefer to train at my own pace.
    Well, my legs are much smaller than before I started weight training, but people see muscles and go - OMG, your legs are huge. FTW I'm wearing pants in size 2, whereas before I barely fit in size 4.

Originally Posted by Miranda View Post

i always like how their thighs are incredibly smooth and polished to high sheen.
    Yeah, I did a photoshoot once just for fun (I know the photographer) and he showed me how he manipulates the images. He takes care of everything - cellulite, uneven skin tone etc.

Originally Posted by lovingit View Post
    They think they will get freakishly manly-huge if they lift serious weights. They don't realize it doesn't work that way.

(I cringe when I hear it also)
    I realize not everybody wants to become muscular and I may look freakish to some people, but why ask these questions on a board like this? It just doesn't make any sense to me.
    I don't hang out on modeling web-sites and in pro-ED communities - just an example.

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I like some ideas from crossfit, but generally I'm not a fan. I prefer to train at my own pace.
    Well, my legs are much smaller than before I started weight training, but people see muscles and go - OMG, your legs are huge. FTW I'm wearing pants in size 2, whereas before I barely fit in size 4.
    You mean you actually fit in normal clothes?...amazing! Normally when women pick up a set of weights they start busting out of their shirts...at least this is what I've heard...
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

Contribution05 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Contribution05 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Contribution05 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Contribution05 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Contribution05 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Contribution05 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Contribution05 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Contribution05 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Contribution05 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Contribution05 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Contribution05 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Pretty much when a girl says she wants to be tone, she wants her soft fatty skin to be a little more firm without any muscular bulge. Ab definition without a 6 pack, and usually just the want for firm arms without showing bis/tris/veins.

jpgs below example of skinny girl with no muscle, and skinny girl thats tone that most of the girls at gyms wish to be.
    Attached Images

Originally Posted by kimm4 View Post
    You mean you actually fit in normal clothes?...amazing! Normally when women pick up a set of weights they start busting out of their shirts...at least this is what I've heard...
    Kim, it's the greatest thing ever:-). Obviously, I have some muscle. But in clothes I just look slender.
    Even though my shoulders and back became bigger on this bulk, I still fit in size S sweaters.

Originally Posted by Contribution05 View Post
    Pretty much when a girl says she wants to be tone, she wants her soft fatty skin to be a little more firm without any muscular bulge. Ab definition without a 6 pack, and usually just the want for firm arms without showing bis/tris/veins.

jpgs below example of skinny girl with no muscle, and skinny girl thats tone that most of the girls at gyms wish to be.
    I don't think the second girl is something that could be achieved through any particular training. She is already built in a certain way.

seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Miranda View Post

you just gave me an idea for developing photoshop glasses... brb
    A million miles away - I don't.. feel.... anything.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXGZu4yxjW0

lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I realize not everybody wants to become muscular and I may look freakish to some people, but why ask these questions on a board like this? It just doesn't make any sense to me.
    I don't hang out on modeling web-sites and in pro-ED communities - just an example.
    I don't get it either.

I think it's even weirder when males post the same thing on this board. They say they don't want to build muscle. Why in the world???

You don't look freakish to me at all. You look great!

dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    My favorite is when women close to my height at 160+ lbs tell me they don't want to be as big as me... when I'm 110 pre-contest.
    NPC Bodybuilder, Mother and Hater Extraordinaire

Sponsored by Prep & Rep Kitchen

rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by dvsness View Post
    My favorite is when women close to my height at 160+ lbs tell me they don't want to be as big as me... when I'm 110 pre-contest.
    OMG!! I wish i had your genetics. I know i am a bit shorter but i would not mind looking like you at all!
    Im a fan <3
    www.bikinisandbiceps.com
    IG@bikinisandbiceps

MPH, CPT and Nutrition and Wellness Coach

No one is going to care more about your progress than you. Everyone else is too busy chasing their own. You either do what you need to do to progress, or you remain where you are. The choice is yours.

dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by rockangel View Post
    OMG!! I wish i had your genetics. I know i am a bit shorter but i would not mind looking like you at all!
    Im a fan <3
    Thank you; I'm flattered.

But trust me, my genetics are not all that. I am very lucky to have good bone structure - wide clavicles, symmetrical proportions - but adding muscle is a serious chore, and losing it is very easy for me.
    NPC Bodybuilder, Mother and Hater Extraordinaire

Sponsored by Prep & Rep Kitchen

Originally Posted by lovingit View Post
    I don't get it either.

I think it's even weirder when males post the same thing on this board. They say they don't want to build muscle. Why in the world???

You don't look freakish to me at all. You look great!
    Males are posting the same? OH my...
    Thank you, I'm flattered

This is such a pet peeve of mine as well
    You look great, Vanessa!

DixieAmazon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DixieAmazon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DixieAmazon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DixieAmazon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DixieAmazon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DixieAmazon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DixieAmazon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DixieAmazon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DixieAmazon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DixieAmazon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DixieAmazon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Toned = I don't want to work too hard.
    Dennise

Exercise is king. Nutrition is queen. Put them together, and you’ve got a kingdom. --Jack LaLanne

seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Just punch them in the face as hard as you can. Once they feel the power you possess they'll want it for themselves.

bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I also can't stand when people say they want "lean muscle". As opposed to bulky muscle? Muscle is muscle!

Originally Posted by bethanyboo View Post
    I also can't stand when people say they want "lean muscle". As opposed to bulky muscle? Muscle is muscle!
    Well yes and no. They're mostly referring to people like NFL linemen or huge power lifters who definitely have tons of muscle but also a good deal of fat. The words used are probably less important than the idea they're trying to convey.

RJS2009 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RJS2009 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RJS2009 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RJS2009 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RJS2009 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RJS2009 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RJS2009 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RJS2009 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    When women say this, I often think that what they really want is a more youthful appearance. They remember having that nice skin and firmness that comes with the teen years. Since that look also often comes with no real effort when young, I think this contributes to how they feel it should somehow require minimal effort even years later.

y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    toned

Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (NSCA)

**Dallas Cowboys**
    **Sacramento Kings**
    **San Jose Sharks**

sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000)
    ^ I think the average girl would consider that getting 'bulky' despite IMO it looking good

sparky3 is not very well liked. (-100) sparky3 is not very well liked. (-100) sparky3 is not very well liked. (-100) sparky3 is not very well liked. (-100) sparky3 is not very well liked. (-100) sparky3 is not very well liked. (-100) sparky3 is not very well liked. (-100) sparky3 is not very well liked. (-100) sparky3 is not very well liked. (-100) sparky3 is not very well liked. (-100) sparky3 is not very well liked. (-100)
    I think you look sexy and still feminine. Not like a woman on steroids with man features.

snoozer08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) snoozer08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) snoozer08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) snoozer08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) snoozer08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) snoozer08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) snoozer08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) snoozer08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) snoozer08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) snoozer08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) snoozer08 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by sonti View Post
    ^ I think the average girl would consider that getting 'bulky' despite IMO it looking good
    For sure. Any visible muscle=bulky to the average woman.

I know most women idolize the Victoria Secret model look, but this blew my mind: http://www.leighpeele.com/bulky-musc...the-definition

Originally Posted by snoozer08 View Post
    For sure. Any visible muscle=bulky to the average woman.

I know most women idolize the Victoria Secret model look, but this blew my mind: http://www.leighpeele.com/bulky-musc...the-definition
    Oh, this blew my mind too when I read it about a year ago. Jessica Biel is too bulky FTW.

Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by seanb1979 View Post
    you just gave me an idea for developing photoshop glasses... brb
    Already invented....but its called alcohol
    "A champion is someone who gets up even when he can't" ---Jack Dempsey

I eat for living, not just lifting.