chargedmr2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chargedmr2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chargedmr2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chargedmr2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chargedmr2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chargedmr2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chargedmr2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chargedmr2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chargedmr2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chargedmr2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chargedmr2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Plate Loaded Leg Press Machine

Can anyone recommend a good quality plate loaded leg press? Unfortunately, I've developed some upper and lower back problems (degenerative discs), and I can no longer do squats, dead lifts, and some of the other big lifts that put too much pressure on my back.

I'd love to have the Cybex plate loaded squat press--nice and compact, good quality...but probably costs a small fortune.

Any ideas are welcome.

Prediluted is on a distinguished road. (+10) Prediluted is on a distinguished road. (+10) Prediluted is on a distinguished road. (+10) Prediluted is on a distinguished road. (+10) Prediluted is on a distinguished road. (+10) Prediluted is on a distinguished road. (+10) Prediluted is on a distinguished road. (+10) Prediluted is on a distinguished road. (+10) Prediluted is on a distinguished road. (+10) Prediluted is on a distinguished road. (+10) Prediluted is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Look for gym surplus, check craigslist. Sure you'll find something good there!

chargedmr2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chargedmr2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chargedmr2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chargedmr2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chargedmr2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chargedmr2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chargedmr2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chargedmr2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chargedmr2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chargedmr2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chargedmr2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Prediluted View Post
    Look for gym surplus, check craigslist. Sure you'll find something good there!
    I've been checking craigslist--nothing in my area yet. Any recommendations for a good product would be helpful. I'm pretty sure the Cybex press I was looking at won't show up on craigslist anytime soon, but who knows.

one.lifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) one.lifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) one.lifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) one.lifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) one.lifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) one.lifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) one.lifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) one.lifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) one.lifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) one.lifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) one.lifter will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    How about belt squats:

Home gym 'til I die. ProtienandIron's Avatar
    ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I like that belt squat set up.^^ Looks solid.
    My training log:
    ---------------
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153596291&p=1062453741#post1062453741

[]---[] Equipment Crew #43 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #1 -!!!---!!!-
    ()---() York Barbell Club #4 ()---()

thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I've had the PowerTec compact leg sled. It can double as a hack squat and calf machine. I believe the capacity on the newer model is 700lbs. http://www.powertecfitness.com/p-25-...d-p-cls11.aspx
    I found an older model on Craigs List that had a 600lbs capacity. I think the capacity is based off of how much the weight horns will hold which on my model was 3 100lb plates a side. I've seen video of Lee Priest using this machine with the weight horns maxed and with a loaded oly bar on the back of it. It was a decent machine, not worth the $700 new that PT has as the MSRP. I found one for $300 that came with a Body Solid seated calf raise.
    Body Solid and if you can find a used one Parabody (they're out of business) makes a pretty good leg press/hack squat with a 1000lb capacity. That's based off of 5 100lb plates per side. http://www.bodysolid.com/Commercial/item.cfm?id=517
    I found a used Parabody on Craigs List for $300. I've loaded plates on top of mine without any problem. I don't see the Body Solid being worth the $1575 MSRP. Of course I don't see much of anything being worth the MSRP LOL.
    "It is my own fault for replying in a smith thread." deadwoodgregg

Ordained Minister of Perpetual Consumption and all around righteous dude.

My home gym pictures: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1632857623&viewfull=1#post1632857623

My workout journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120169181

Originally Posted by thedickus View Post
    I've had the PowerTec compact leg sled. It can double as a hack squat and calf machine. I believe the capacity on the newer model is 700lbs.
    I found an older model on Craigs List that had a 600lbs capacity. I think the capacity is based off of how much the weight horns will hold which on my model was 3 100lb plates a side. I've seen video of Lee Priest using this machine with the weight horns maxed and with a loaded oly bar on the back of it. It was a decent machine, not worth the $700 new that PT has as the MSRP. I found one for $300 that came with a Body Solid seated calf raise.
    Body Solid and if you can find a used one Parabody (they're out of business) makes a pretty good leg press/hack squat with a 1000lb capacity. That's based off of 5 100lb plates per side.
    I found a used Parabody on Craigs List for $300. I've loaded plates on top of mine without any problem. I don't see the Body Solid being worth the $1575 MSRP. Of course I don't see much of anything being worth the MSRP LOL.
    Thanks for the leads. I ran across the Powertec sled just after posting here and I read through a review on the forum--it was probably yours.

I will also check out belt squats--I've never seen them done before.

Just watched the belt squat vid. That looks like a great option. I think I may need to do some building to get a platform in place.

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by chargedmr2 View Post
    Just watched the belt squat vid. That looks like a great option. I think I may need to do some building to get a platform in place.
    Here's the set up that I was using for a while...

For more details, see:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post656013113

and:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post740525243
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

a7stringkilla is a name known to all. (+5000) a7stringkilla is a name known to all. (+5000) a7stringkilla is a name known to all. (+5000) a7stringkilla is a name known to all. (+5000) a7stringkilla is a name known to all. (+5000) a7stringkilla is a name known to all. (+5000) a7stringkilla is a name known to all. (+5000) a7stringkilla is a name known to all. (+5000) a7stringkilla is a name known to all. (+5000) a7stringkilla is a name known to all. (+5000) a7stringkilla is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Belt Squats or a Belt Squat machine would be a better bet than a Leg Press. A Leg Press could tweak your already treaked back if it pulls your lower back away from the pad in the low position. I have a Belt Squat machine and whenever I have a nagging back or tweaked rib, that thing is priceless.

EQUIPMENT CREW VATO #72

PUB BURGERS / IMMERSIVE HORROR / OLD SCHOOL THRASH

Guys,

Thanks again for the great ideas here--I'm feeling much better about my future lifting. After trying a number of different lifts due to developing upper (and then lower) back problems over the last several years (from regular squats to front squats to deadlifts, etc.) I finally gave up. And of course, I lost about 50 percent of my overall weight gain. It's nice to realize that I can probably get a good portion of that back again.

Cheers!

I just finished up building a belt squat platform from 8 2x4s, 7 2x6s, about four pounds of screws, some 3M not slip surfacing, and a lot of patience. It seems like it will work well--I'll find out this Wednesday when I get to my leg workout. Thanks again for the ideas in this thread.

Frame:

IMG_2116 (Large).jpg

Finished Product:

IMG_2120 (Large).jpg
    Last edited by chargedmr2; 05-06-2012 at 06:20 PM.

Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000)

Cool
    ()---() York Barbell Club #5 ()---()
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #10 -!!!---!!!-

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
    Winston Churchill

Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.
    Mahatma Gandhi

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    That looks great! What's the distance between the foot platforms?

I guess I can't post pics like that...my post count must be too low?

I rotated the second picture of the final product and re-uploaded, so it's there as well.

Originally Posted by KBKB View Post
    The distance between the platforms is 21.25" and total height is 19.5". Depth is 45" in total. I'm hoping I set the width appropriately. As long as I get down good form and don't swing the weights around, it should be plenty of room. I just need to get a rubber pad for the concrete between the platforms and it should be ready to go.

I guess I can't post pics like that...my post count must be too low?
    At one time, you needed 30 posts before you could post inline photos are links. AFAIK, the limit is now at 50 posts.

It's not a problem though since Vermonter inlined them for you. (If the photo is worth looking at, someone here will usually inline it for someone whose post count isn't high enough yet.)

The distance between the platforms is 21.25" and total height is 19.5". Depth is 45" in total. I'm hoping I set the width appropriately. As long as I get down good form and don't swing the weights around, it should be plenty of room. I just need to get a rubber pad for the concrete between the platforms and it should be ready to go.
    Those dimensions all sound pretty good. You'll definitely have room for using 45s on your loading pin.

I tried using 45s with my set up. It worked, but my squat stance was a bit wider than I liked. I ended up using 25s a lot of the time. It was doable with 45s though. I think you'll be okay with it after you get used to it. Might even help with your hip / groin flexibility.

Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm guessing a rough 21"... Did I win?

Edit: should have reloaded the page.. Good guess though.
    ▪██─────██▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #3 ▪██─────██▪

○---○ [[[[-----]]]] York Barbell Crew #52 [[[[-----]]]] ○---○
    ( DD Crew, Globes, Kg's, + )

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #45 ▪█─────█▪

~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

At one time, you needed 30 posts before you could post inline photos are links. AFAIK, the limit is now at 50 posts.

It's not a problem though since Vermonter inlined them for you. (If the photo is worth looking at, someone here will usually inline it for someone whose post count isn't high enough yet.)
    Cool...thanks guys.

I should have also mentioned that total cost of the platform was less than $75. The 3M non-slip surface was almost a 1/3rd of the total price.

FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If you're still interested in the Cybex Squat PRess, I'd definitely recommend it. IT just feels so much for natural than any press on rails I've ever used before.

PRs - Sq / B / D / Total
    Gym - 425 / 255 / 463 / -
    Meet - 413 / 248 / 463 / 1124 @ 220
    Meet - 391 / 242 / 468 / 1102 @ 181

Originally Posted by FunkymonkAW View Post
    If you're still interested in the Cybex Squat PRess, I'd definitely recommend it. IT just feels so much for natural than any press on rails I've ever used before.
    It's certainly a nice press. I may be interested in the future depending upon how things go for me. If I can get decent development with the belt squats, I'll be happy for now.

Any idea what those presses run? I'm guessing between 2.5 to 3K?

Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    It's certainly a nice press. I may be interested in the future depending upon how things go for me. If I can get decent development with the belt squats, I'll be happy for now.

Any idea what those presses run? I'm guessing between 2.5 to 3K?
    Chargermr2

A new Cybex Squat Press msrp is $3,595.00. Obviously if you went through one of their certified dealers, such as Gym Source or Cybex directly, they would give you a better price. Of all the plate loaded leg presses I have used through the years, it is my favorite. That said, I would not buy new unless I had the money just to throw around