Closed Thread
    term has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Grams of Protein = Lean Body Mass, Not Body Weight

Subject says it all. I hear people on these boards say, 'For weight loss, eat 10-12 calories for every pound of body weight.' Or, 'Eat 1 gram of protein for every pound of body weight.' Wtf? This isn't correct.

1 gram of protein for every pound of LEAN BODY MASS. I weigh 159 pounds, but roughly 120-130 pounds of that is lean body mass. My fat cells don't need protein, now do they? My muscles do, and that's all that matters.

For weight loss, yes, you do want to eat 10-12 calories. But, per LEAN BODY MASS, again. That means, a 300 pounder doesn't want to eat 3000-3600 calories. If that guy or gal eats that much, they'lll be feeding fat (not really, but you get the idea.) And, really, I think if a person is that hefty, they should be eating around 12-14 calories (closer to maintenance, which is healthier for an obese individual) per lean body mass. Once they get down to a BMI that is in the Overweight range, instead of Obese, it should be 10-12 calories per lean body mass.

This is what I think. You can flame me if you want, but I'd rather have well thought out criticism.

as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    naw, i think your right, but a lot of beginners come here and it's difficult to tell them it's / LBM pound since they wouldn't have a clue on LBM....

so y'know taking the extra protein doesn't hurt and if you do your cardio then your likely to get a deficit even on 10x ALL bodyweight.

Mw6wW will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mw6wW will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mw6wW will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mw6wW will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mw6wW will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mw6wW will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mw6wW will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mw6wW will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mw6wW will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mw6wW will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mw6wW will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    ... I can't believe I spaced that out. I've read so much about that but I never applied it to myself.. I've been eating at least like 190 grams of protein when In all reality I probley only need like 150-160.

Thanx for the wakup call

JesseCuster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yup, that always made sense to me. I never saw any kind of study or research or even a fitness 'expert' saying that this is the way it should be done, but to have a gram of protein for every pound of weight....well, I'd be looking at 260 pounds of protein.

I'd be shooting kidney stones out like musket balls.
    Space for rent.

2flare is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2flare is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2flare is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2flare is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2flare is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2flare is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2flare is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2flare is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2flare is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2flare is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2flare is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Here's why I think u should eat 10X your bodyweight.

ex: if someone is 200 pds and has lean mass of 160.
    His goal weight is..let's say 175

If he wants to lose weight, we DO NOT want him to starve himself. Eating like a 160 pd person would be too hard on his body. So AS HE DROPS BODYWEIGHT he will LOWER his Cals.

So he will eventually get to his "goal" weight and he would progressivly lower his calories to adjust to his new weight.
    So he'd eventually eat like a 175pder.

That's what I think...

HammyAbeer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HammyAbeer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HammyAbeer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HammyAbeer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HammyAbeer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HammyAbeer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HammyAbeer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HammyAbeer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HammyAbeer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HammyAbeer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HammyAbeer has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Why would the extra carbs or fat be better than extra protein, and how do you justify your number 1 gram per pound of lean mass.

Just wondering how you know how much protein 1 lb of lean mass needs?
    Cool Guy List:

term has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm not saying you should eat more carbs or fat since it's 'better than extra protien.' I'm saying, you don't need to be eating that much extra protein. I think the 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight is a bad gauge, that's all. Like Pochtecatl said, he was consuming 190 grams, but in reality, he only needs 150-160. However, he is only consuming 120 to 160 extra calories... which you don't really need to worry about (unless it's fats.)

The whole 1 gram of protein per lean body mass is correct, for people who are exercising at a fair to moderate level. If you aren't lifting or doing something semi intense, then who cares how much protein you need (screw you, you couch potato!) Since I lift, climb, and do HIIT 3-4 times per week, I need at least 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass... probably even more since my muscles are going through a lot of stress throughout the week. And that's it really. You need to eat according to your activity level. So, for us lifters and dieters who are exercising, 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass is a.o.k.

HammyAbeer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HammyAbeer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HammyAbeer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HammyAbeer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HammyAbeer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HammyAbeer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HammyAbeer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HammyAbeer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HammyAbeer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HammyAbeer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HammyAbeer has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    10-12 cals per pound of LBM is way too low even at per pound of body weight. You're body will shut down in a short time. I used to think this was true, so I went to 1700 calories for 3 weeks, and no results not a pound. No I'm at 2700 to 3000 at roughly ~40/40/20 and I'm back on track and Im not burning muscle mass

If you are going to state that that 1 gram of protein per pound of LBM please back that up with some information. There are competitors in my gym that eat in the upwards of 400-600 grams of protein a day and thats not from stupidity but from experience. Too much protein is not a bad thing if combined with the right foods.

If one were to follow your recommendation on a maintenence diet, 200 lb person at 5% for example, would need roughly 4100 calories to maintain, so with your recommendation only 760 cals are from protein (18%), so 82% is from carbs and fat. Doesn't sound so good.
    Cool Guy List:

JACKYOUUP has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JACKYOUUP has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JACKYOUUP has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JACKYOUUP has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JACKYOUUP has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JACKYOUUP has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JACKYOUUP has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JACKYOUUP has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    hammy said it all, why replace the protein with shyt that prolly got you fat in the first place.. so im consuming 1700 calories right now, 199 grams of it is protein.. i would never replace a can of tuna, protein shake for a slice of bread and some pasta
    If it dont kill you.. it only makes you stronger

Uxellodunon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Uxellodunon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Uxellodunon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Uxellodunon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Uxellodunon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Uxellodunon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Uxellodunon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Uxellodunon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Uxellodunon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Uxellodunon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Uxellodunon will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I can't believe this was from 2003.
    Whatever it takes.

Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Uxellodunon View Post
    I can't believe this was from 2003.
    I cant believe you bumped it for no reason what so ever..
    Eat the damn yolk.

Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Gxp23 View Post
    I cant believe you bumped it for no reason what so ever..

I cant believe its not butter.
    There is always someone less fortunate, with real hunger, with real adversity, who made something of themselves. What is your excuse?

juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I can't believe I ate the whole thing

Uxellodunon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Uxellodunon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Uxellodunon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Uxellodunon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Uxellodunon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Uxellodunon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Uxellodunon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Uxellodunon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Uxellodunon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Uxellodunon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Uxellodunon will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I agree with OP.. He must be making all kinds of gains now.
    Whatever it takes.