Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    fryguymoore has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fryguymoore has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fryguymoore has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fryguymoore has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fryguymoore has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fryguymoore has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fryguymoore has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fryguymoore has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fryguymoore has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fryguymoore has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fryguymoore has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Is there a protein powder that will work for 10 year old boy?

My son is underweight, has been all his life. In fact we were reported to child protective services two years ago due to his weight. It was no big deal since his weight had been well documented with his doctor. He didn't like being called "skinny" and "malnourished," and having to take his shirt off to be photographed by a stranger.

My son's doctor said that I should give him a "protein powder." At first he recomended Carnation Instant Breakfast with ice cream twice a day. That did not work well!!!!! It wound him up like a top and made him even more angry. It turns out that latose doesn't agree with him. I gets very crabby and violent after eating it.

I know there is a lot of talk about stunting a kids growth with supplements or weight lifting. My son does not lift weights, although I would like him to start if I thought it would put some weight on him. He wants to very badly. He hates being skinny. I believe my sons growth may already be stunted due to the fact that he refuses to eat most foods. Anyway his birthdad and birthmom are both 6'2" tall so I don't worry about that.

I have tried doing physical activities with him. He gets tired really quickly and then refuses to play. We tired basketball, softball, bike riding, batmitton, Wii active games, ect.

Is there a protein powder that tastes really good that isn't lactose based that would put some weight on him? I can add something to the powder, just not food dyes. Is there any other product that you would use for a child. I don't care if it isn't approved for children. This child doesn't eat - that is bad for him too

Thanks for your help!
    Attached Images

charlesryan is on a distinguished road. (+10) charlesryan is on a distinguished road. (+10) charlesryan is on a distinguished road. (+10) charlesryan is on a distinguished road. (+10) charlesryan is on a distinguished road. (+10) charlesryan is on a distinguished road. (+10) charlesryan is on a distinguished road. (+10) charlesryan is on a distinguished road. (+10) charlesryan is on a distinguished road. (+10) charlesryan is on a distinguished road. (+10) charlesryan is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    now foods whey protein isolate unflavored

lactose free and can be mixed with anything.. from pancakes to lemonade

buy him some steak too

ChrisG12 is just really nice. (+1000) ChrisG12 is just really nice. (+1000) ChrisG12 is just really nice. (+1000) ChrisG12 is just really nice. (+1000) ChrisG12 is just really nice. (+1000) ChrisG12 is just really nice. (+1000) ChrisG12 is just really nice. (+1000) ChrisG12 is just really nice. (+1000) ChrisG12 is just really nice. (+1000) ChrisG12 is just really nice. (+1000) ChrisG12 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Protein will "work" for the kid, simply because it'll be giving him more calories to consume in a day. Ultimately, you can just make him a shake with banana/strawberries, peanut butter, and a chocolate whey (AllMax is lactose free). Can't imagine a kid not enjoying the taste of that.

Of course, your goal should be to get him to eat regularly, and consistently if he wants to get bigger.

VaughnTrue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VaughnTrue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VaughnTrue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VaughnTrue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VaughnTrue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VaughnTrue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VaughnTrue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VaughnTrue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VaughnTrue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VaughnTrue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VaughnTrue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    does your kid like peanut butter?

its the most calorie dense food you have in your house besides straight up butter, and will help in add weight quickly. Good thing is that it has the right amount of protein/fat to remain healthy for a child.

I'd suggest getting Quik(chocolate powder) and simply blending in 2-3tbsp of peanut butter. This should give him a good 500calorie shake that wont overload him on protein for the day.

Trence666 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trence666 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trence666 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trence666 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trence666 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trence666 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trence666 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trence666 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trence666 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trence666 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trence666 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Make him a nice gainer shake like these guys said
    Maybe some Oats Whey Peanut Butter and water, sucks he can't have whole milk that would work wonders for him.

t3nchi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) t3nchi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) t3nchi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) t3nchi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) t3nchi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) t3nchi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) t3nchi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) t3nchi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) t3nchi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) t3nchi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) t3nchi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I don't want to detract from your request but perhaps it's better not to make him believe the only way to put on weight is with protein powder (or later, supplements) and weights.

How about helping him start eating well? You say he refuses to eat most foods. Why?

You say he doesn't enjoy sports? There must be some way to motivate him to eat with things he enjoys doing. Sports is naturally the easiest since you can persuade him that his favorite athletes (if he has any) eat healthy. Kids love to imitate their role models. But if he doesn't enjoy sports, don't force it on him. What does he enjoy? Maybe a reward system may help.

Brolympics Gold Medalist Corey_Ellis's Avatar
    Corey_Ellis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Corey_Ellis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Corey_Ellis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Corey_Ellis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Corey_Ellis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Corey_Ellis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Corey_Ellis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Corey_Ellis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Corey_Ellis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Corey_Ellis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Corey_Ellis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by VaughnTrue View Post

its the most calorie dense food you have in your house besides straight up butter, and will help in add weight quickly. Good thing is that it has the right amount of protein/fat to remain healthy for a child.

I'd suggest getting Quik(chocolate powder) and simply blending in 2-3tbsp of peanut butter. This should give him a good 500calorie shake that wont overload him on protein for the day.
    Was going to post something very similar.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

t3nchi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) t3nchi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) t3nchi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) t3nchi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) t3nchi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) t3nchi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) t3nchi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) t3nchi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) t3nchi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) t3nchi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) t3nchi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    lol I wish when I was a kid, my parents would motivate me to eat more. Their problem was trying to get me to eat less. Grew up a chubster.

OxbowSky is just really nice. (+1000) OxbowSky is just really nice. (+1000) OxbowSky is just really nice. (+1000) OxbowSky is just really nice. (+1000) OxbowSky is just really nice. (+1000) OxbowSky is just really nice. (+1000) OxbowSky is just really nice. (+1000) OxbowSky is just really nice. (+1000) OxbowSky is just really nice. (+1000) OxbowSky is just really nice. (+1000) OxbowSky is just really nice. (+1000)
    He wont eat but he will take a protein shake? Time to be an adult and make him eat in my opinion. My mom made me finish my plate when i was a kid. If he eats, he will gain weight. That simple. And the fact that he tires easily at 10 raises questions. does he not go out and play with friends? He may have some kind of disorder if he cant handle activity at his age...he should be full of energy.

Trence666 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trence666 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trence666 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trence666 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trence666 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trence666 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trence666 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trence666 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trence666 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trence666 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trence666 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by t3nchi View Post
    I don't want to detract from your request but perhaps it's better not to make him believe the only way to put on weight is with protein powder (or later, supplements) and weights.

How about helping him start eating well? You say he refuses to eat most foods. Why?

You say he doesn't enjoy sports? There must be some way to motivate him to eat with things he enjoys doing. Sports is naturally the easiest since you can persuade him that his favorite athletes (if he has any) eat healthy. Kids love to imitate their role models. But if he doesn't enjoy sports, don't force it on him. What does he enjoy? Maybe a reward system may help.
    ... I don't see the problem with some supplements to help him out?...
    It's better him drinking some protein with peanutbutter than having a doctor prescribe him some bull****...

ronnythomas1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronnythomas1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronnythomas1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronnythomas1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronnythomas1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronnythomas1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronnythomas1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    he dosent need protein powders no one does.just get him to eat protein foods and fats and carbs etc.
    i have a great muscular body at age 40 and ive never touched protein powders ever.

Roke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Roke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Roke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Roke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Roke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Roke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Roke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Roke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Roke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Roke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Roke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Is he okay with casein products? I'm thinking buying him lactose free milk so that he could benefit from the protein but also the vitamins and saturated fats in the product. But it's not for everybody.

CL's Resident Pump-Fiend RaginAzN's Avatar
    RaginAzN has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) RaginAzN has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) RaginAzN has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) RaginAzN has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) RaginAzN has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) RaginAzN has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) RaginAzN has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) RaginAzN has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) RaginAzN has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) RaginAzN has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) RaginAzN has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by ronnythomas1 View Post
    he dosent need protein powders no one does.just get him to eat protein foods and fats and carbs etc.
    i have a great muscular body at age 40 and ive never touched protein powders ever.
    E-Stats says 34, hmmm.....
    Controlled Labs Rep

CL FB Page: https://www.********.com/controlledlabs

Disclaimer: The above post is my PERSONAL OPINION and DOES NOT REPRESENT the official position of any company or entity. It DOES NOT constitute medical advice.

JohnT@ControlledLabs.com

Originally Posted by RaginAzN View Post
    E-Stats says 34, hmmm.....
    Not to mention..... No Pics... Could be a 400lb 34 year old guy..
    I'm waitin for him to say...
    "Post pics of ur boy, let's see how skinny he really is" O..O!

Originally Posted by Trence666 View Post
    ... I don't see the problem with some supplements to help him out?...
    It's better him drinking some protein with peanutbutter than having a doctor prescribe him some bull****...
    What I'm getting at is that kids should learn how to eat proper food over supplementation first. Protein powders aren't too bad but once you start feeding a 10 year old Weight Gainer, I think that's unhealthy.

When I was 9, I used to take swimming lessons. Right after, my mom would feed me a conconction of the most foul-tasting Amway (!!!)protein powder ever. The only difference is that my parents never had problems with me eating proper food as well.

jonboyw is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonboyw is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonboyw is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonboyw is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonboyw is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonboyw is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonboyw is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonboyw is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonboyw is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonboyw is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonboyw is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Bad idea for a 10 year old. Drink a gallon of whole milk spread out over the day every day. It's up to him though if he wants to do it. You can't force him to eat more than what makes him full.

What I'm getting at is that kids should learn how to eat proper food over supplementation first. Protein powders aren't too bad but once you start feeding a 10 year old Weight Gainer, I think that's unhealthy.

When I was 9, I used to take swimming lessons. Right after, my mom would feed me a conconction of the most foul-tasting Amway (!!!)protein powder ever. The only difference is that my parents never had problems with me eating proper food as well.
    You have to start somewhere, he'll start drinking protein, maybe get some energy cause he's getting nutrition finally. Be more interested in sports burn out his energy an have a massive appetite afterwards.

Originally Posted by jonboyw View Post
    Bad idea for a 10 year old. Drink a gallon of whole milk spread out over the day every day. It's up to him though if he wants to do it. You can't force him to eat more than what makes him full.
    Read before you post.....

"At first he recomended Carnation Instant Breakfast with ice cream twice a day. That did not work well!!!!! It wound him up like a top and made him even more angry. It turns out that latose doesn't agree with him"

Lactose, hence my post of "To bad he's lactose, Whole milk would do wonders for him"..

You have to start somewhere, he'll start drinking protein, maybe get some energy cause he's getting nutrition finally. Be more interested in sports burn out his energy an have a massive appetite afterwards.
    Putting myself in the shoes of a kid, I'd rather drink some chocolate milk over a protein shake any day. Lots of delicious food sources out there that kids love. Just have to find out what he loves, feed him more.

Putting myself in the shoes of a kid, I'd rather drink some chocolate milk over a protein shake any day. Lots of delicious food sources out there that kids love. Just have to find out what he loves, feed him more.
    I'm done posting here....
    You and jonboyw are idiot's.

Read.

Anyways listen to Vaughn OP

jonboyw is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonboyw is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonboyw is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonboyw is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonboyw is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonboyw is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonboyw is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonboyw is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonboyw is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonboyw is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonboyw is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Read before you post.....

"At first he recomended Carnation Instant Breakfast with ice cream twice a day. That did not work well!!!!! It wound him up like a top and made him even more angry. It turns out that latose doesn't agree with him"

Lactose, hence my post of "To bad he's lactose, Whole milk would do wonders for him"..
    I did read that. Lactose doesn't wind you up and make you angry. It was the sugar from the carnation and ice cream. Whole milk. Or just don't worry about it. He's 10. Most 10 year olds are skinny. Unless he's in immediate medical risk then he's probably fine. I was always super skinny. I'm talking concentration camp looking skinny. I graduated high school at 5'11" weighing 110 lbs. He'll be fine.

JimboSlice123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JimboSlice123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JimboSlice123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JimboSlice123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JimboSlice123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JimboSlice123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JimboSlice123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JimboSlice123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JimboSlice123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JimboSlice123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JimboSlice123 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    protein wont be bad for him. Try a mass gainer which has more calories than a normal protein.

fryguymoore has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fryguymoore has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fryguymoore has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fryguymoore has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fryguymoore has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fryguymoore has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fryguymoore has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fryguymoore has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fryguymoore has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fryguymoore has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fryguymoore has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thanks!!!

I understand that I need to be the parent and make him eat. The problem is that you can't make a person eat. I don't know why he refuses most food, but I think that if foods make him feel bad he may not want to eat them. I know his birthmom was a meth adict and he has ADHD.

It actually is the lactose that makes him crabby. I always thought it was the sugar too, but after repeated tests it is clear the cheese and milk do him in. His sisters will say, "OMG. Michael is cheesed up again!!!!"

Anyway, your help has been invaluable. His doctor recomendded protein powder so I am going to get some that was recomemded here. I have to agree that maybe if he starts finding more food he likes other foods may begin to be more desirable.

He has no energy because he won't eat. It is a vicious cycle I want to break. I would like him to play more too. I am going to add the shakes with peanut butter. He LOVES peanut butter. He eats a lot of it - still he doesn't gain.

thanks again!

dandaman5984 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dandaman5984 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dandaman5984 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dandaman5984 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dandaman5984 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dandaman5984 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dandaman5984 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dandaman5984 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dandaman5984 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dandaman5984 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dandaman5984 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by fryguymoore View Post
    I understand that I need to be the parent and make him eat. The problem is that you can't make a person eat. I don't know why he refuses most food, but I think that if foods make him feel bad he may not want to eat them. I know his birthmom was a meth adict and he has ADHD.

It actually is the lactose that makes him crabby. I always thought it was the sugar too, but after repeated tests it is clear the cheese and milk do him in. His sisters will say, "OMG. Michael is cheesed up again!!!!"
    Anyway, your help has been invaluable. His doctor recomendded protein powder so I am going to get some that was recomemded here. I have to agree that maybe if he starts finding more food he likes other foods may begin to be more desirable.

He has no energy because he won't eat. It is a vicious cycle I want to break. I would like him to play more too. I am going to add the shakes with peanut butter. He LOVES peanut butter. He eats a lot of it - still he doesn't gain.

thanks again!
    Am I the only one who thought of this?

dandaman5984 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dandaman5984 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dandaman5984 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dandaman5984 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dandaman5984 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dandaman5984 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dandaman5984 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dandaman5984 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dandaman5984 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dandaman5984 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dandaman5984 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I know my last reply wasn't helpful, but I just couldn't help myself...

Protein powders are just a food supplement so i don't understand why anyone would have a problem with a child having some. I would get a few smaller tubs and just try to find one the kid likes; once you do, get the boy's weight up and he should have more energy to run around and play like most 10 year olds.

Dumbfounded by some of these responses btw...

BBqChicken1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BBqChicken1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BBqChicken1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BBqChicken1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BBqChicken1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BBqChicken1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BBqChicken1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BBqChicken1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BBqChicken1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BBqChicken1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BBqChicken1 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    How does supplementation and lifting weights stunt growth?

How does running/jumping/sprinting which put up to a tonne of stress at some points not stunt growth?

Originally Posted by fryguymoore View Post

thanks again!
    If he is indeed lactose intolerant then you do realize that most protein powders are milk based? You could go with Soy or Pea protein but those taste disgusting and good luck getting him to down that crap.

I'm done posting here....
    You and jonboyw are idiot's.

Read.

Anyways listen to Vaughn OP
    I find many ppl on bb.com are like you. Get mad, call someone an idiot.

Maybe some of us actually think differently than you and have our own opinions.

Mexisack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mexisack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mexisack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mexisack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mexisack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mexisack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mexisack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mexisack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mexisack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mexisack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mexisack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by jonboyw View Post
    If he is indeed lactose intolerant then you do realize that most protein powders are milk based? You could go with Soy or Pea protein but those taste disgusting and good luck getting him to down that crap.

You do realize that unless he's super sensitive to it, many "lactose intolerant" people can handle a high quality whey concentrate (my gf is one).

And regardless, whey isolate also exists, which is a better choice for lactose intolerant people.

Big_Spaz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big_Spaz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big_Spaz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big_Spaz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big_Spaz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big_Spaz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big_Spaz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big_Spaz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big_Spaz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big_Spaz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big_Spaz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by VaughnTrue View Post

Excellent post Vaughn. Your exactly right on with everything you said. I would definitely start here before you go the "supplementation" route.

-Spaz