nadiadec will become famous soon enough. (+50) nadiadec will become famous soon enough. (+50) nadiadec will become famous soon enough. (+50) nadiadec will become famous soon enough. (+50) nadiadec will become famous soon enough. (+50) nadiadec will become famous soon enough. (+50) nadiadec will become famous soon enough. (+50) nadiadec will become famous soon enough. (+50) nadiadec will become famous soon enough. (+50) nadiadec will become famous soon enough. (+50) nadiadec will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Question Pump in forearms

My training partner has been experiencing a huge pump which is quite painful in his forearms whenever we train back or chest. We are always very concious about form to ensure effective results and prevent injuries. But he says he does not feel it in the target area trained, i.e. back, but gets really tight and painful forearms.

To put this issue in context, he has been training for several years now and has been experiencing this issue for a couple of months now. We did a 3 day on 2 day off split program of 3sets of 12 for about 8 weeks, and have now changed to a higher volume endurance program of 3sets of 20 reps, but keeping the exercises the same on the 3day on 2 day off split routine.

Any advice on what might cause this problem or how to treat it will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Simo90 Simo90 Simo90 Simo90 Simo90 Simo90 Simo90 Simo90 Simo90 Simo90 Simo90
    If he grips the bar/dumbell or whatever he is using, really hard and furiously, it will put his forearms under great pressure and they will take over the perticular movement.

Mind-muscle connection is also important. Visualise the range of motion and the muscle group of choice contracting.
    Try to squeeze the back as much as possible when you are pulling, and really feel the back muscles doing the work, instead of the forearms.

Try the advice I gave you and share it with your friend, hope it works out!

I also get a huge pump in my forearms, mainly from hammer curls when I really try to squeeze the living **** out of the dumbells, and it can be very painful sometimes, feels like they will literally explode lol.
    "For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?" Matthew 16:26

nadiadec will become famous soon enough. (+50) nadiadec will become famous soon enough. (+50) nadiadec will become famous soon enough. (+50) nadiadec will become famous soon enough. (+50) nadiadec will become famous soon enough. (+50) nadiadec will become famous soon enough. (+50) nadiadec will become famous soon enough. (+50) nadiadec will become famous soon enough. (+50) nadiadec will become famous soon enough. (+50) nadiadec will become famous soon enough. (+50) nadiadec will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks for the advice, but we have tried using arms as hooks in stead of gripping the weight in exercises such as straight arm pulldowns where he experienced the same problem, however this was halfway through the training session so the "damage might have already been done" in that situation. And secondly, we are really careful with form, ensuring that the focus of muscle contraction is in the area being trained, i.e. ensuring back is being squeezed in seated row.

But thank you for the advice, the hand grip might be a contributing factor.

JimmytheM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The problem is most likely that your friend has rather restrictive forearm fascia - the connective tissue sheath around the muscles - which gives rise to a chronic exertional compartment syndrome in grip dependent exercises (rows, pull-ups, heavy bench press or dumbbell work). Fascia does not grow as fast as muscle, being quite avascular, so when training these problems can arise fairly quickly.

The mechanism involves an increase in forearm flexor muscle intra-compartment pressure as the muscles swell on contraction, restricted by the fascia. This occludes the veins draining blood from the forearm and hand leading to build-up of metabolites such as lactic acid, which causes pain, and ischaemia, which causes numbness as nerves lose their blood supply. Typically these sensations diminish over time after the exercise but if it takes too long (>30minutes), then an acute compartment sydrome may have developed. This is a medical emergency that must be treated surgically. Don't worry though! While having chronic compartment syndrome does increase the chance of this happening, ACS is relatively uncommon. I've had CCS every time I lift or ride motocross for the last eight years and no ACS yet.

CCS is fairly common in a number of sports but is somewhat under-represented in the academic literature as few people seek help for it, possibly because surgery (fasciotomy) is the only effective treatment: Try searching exertional compartment syndrome of the forearm on Pubmed for some papers to peruse.

As for more conservative management options, I have found that for lifting by far the best option is to use some form of grip aid for the exercises where it's a problem; chalk, straps, a hook grip. This makes sense when you consider the strength disparity between the small forearm flexors and the large muscles like lats and traps that you're working. Alternatively try to consciously lighten your grip, or release it briefly during the set. If you aren't forcefully contracting your forearm muscles they wont pump, simple as that.

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by JimmytheM; 05-05-2012 at 09:48 AM.