public-office is on a distinguished road. (+10) public-office is on a distinguished road. (+10) public-office is on a distinguished road. (+10) public-office is on a distinguished road. (+10) public-office is on a distinguished road. (+10) public-office is on a distinguished road. (+10) public-office is on a distinguished road. (+10) public-office is on a distinguished road. (+10) public-office is on a distinguished road. (+10) public-office is on a distinguished road. (+10) public-office is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thumbs down Umbilical hernia recovery

It looks like I have developed an umbilical hernia and will need an op to fix it. The recovery time has been given to me as 2 weeks at home with as much light movement as I'm comfortable with. Full recovery should be about 4 weeks then I should be ok to lift again.

I'm a bad patient but I will make sure I follow the advice but the thought of having my belly cut is worrying me.

Anyone had anything like this done, what was your recovery like?
    A Brit at large in the USA

2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Is it causing you pain? I've had one for 6 years and it doesn't hurt at all.
    David

public-office is on a distinguished road. (+10) public-office is on a distinguished road. (+10) public-office is on a distinguished road. (+10) public-office is on a distinguished road. (+10) public-office is on a distinguished road. (+10) public-office is on a distinguished road. (+10) public-office is on a distinguished road. (+10) public-office is on a distinguished road. (+10) public-office is on a distinguished road. (+10) public-office is on a distinguished road. (+10) public-office is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    No it's not causing any pain, it just sprang up out of nowhere over a few day about a month ago.

The thought of having a weakness in my mid section just dosn't feel right so I thought that I had better get it fixed

2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by public-office View Post
    No it's not causing any pain, it just sprang up out of nowhere over a few day about a month ago.

The thought of having a weakness in my mid section just dosn't feel right so I thought that I had better get it fixed
    Getting it fixed is best. Just pointing out that it's pretty common and many do nothing about them. The key is if it doesn't hurt and if it goes down when you lay down. If so, you're fine.
    David

pratherian has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pratherian has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pratherian has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pratherian has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pratherian has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pratherian has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pratherian has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pratherian has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pratherian has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pratherian has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pratherian has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

Talking

I had surgery on march 5th.
    No exercise at all for 2 weeks.
    Cardio only for the next 4 weeks.
    Was a good patient so doc cut a week off.
    Easing back to lifting from week 5 for the next 4 weeks.

I would show pics but it would just rustle everyone's jimmies.
    �����Dirty�����South�����Crew�����
    FORMER GYM OWNER

DIRTY TEXAN

COFFEE LOVER

Cheers for putting my mind at rest. I'm a bit more lardy than I would like so the extra cardio will help!!

skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I had it like 2 years ago, went for my yearly physical and Doc looked at my belly and said "Hmmm umbilical hernia, need to get it taken care of". so 2 weeks later I'm in for surgery.
    I had the most pain the first 2 days, after that not much.
    I was not a good patient, and 5 days later I was in the gym lifting, but could not wear a belt for about 2 months, it just did not feel right.
    I started squatting again in about a week up to 225 and in in 3 weeks i was back at 405lb squats and no pain.
    It is a fast recovery and a lot faster than other type of hernias.
    It still feels funny is all I can say but I got the mesh put in and I think this is the best thing but your Doctor may just tie it back down.
    Good Luck!
    Good Luck!

Ski
    Weight Class: 242lbs

RAW
    Best Lifts - Gym | Meet (5/2010)
    =============================
    Squat.........585 | 625
    Bench.........385 | 380
    Dead..........550 | 570

Equipped
    810/610/570 (11/2011)

DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It looks like I have developed an umbilical hernia and will need an op to fix it. The recovery time has been given to me as 2 weeks at home with as much light movement as I'm comfortable with. Full recovery should be about 4 weeks then I should be ok to lift again.

I'm a bad patient but I will make sure I follow the advice but the thought of having my belly cut is worrying me.

Had one in 2006. Doc put the mesh patch in. Continued living as an outa shape bastage.

Started giving rip about my health in March 2011 and began heavy cardio until June 2011, when I began lifting again after a 20+ year hiatus. Pushed it and pushed it some more........wound up having two more hernias repaired in February.

Starting back lifting after adhering to the doctors mandatory 12 wks wait. Lifting light and high reps. Being cautious on movements that generate high internal pressure in the abdominal area.

Feels like I have yet another one a few inches away from the site of the last repairs. This bitch is going to have to protrude like an appendage before I get it fixed. I'm not going back in for this in 2012. Pissing me off royally.
    I may look like Santa Claus.....but I'm feeling like Elvis...........

m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50) m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50) m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50) m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50) m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50) m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50) m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50) m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50) m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50) m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50) m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have had one for about the last year as a result of an appendectomy procedure done several years ago. I'm glad to hear some of you have had them for a longer time period and can continue to lift without the need for surgery.

emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000)

I had the surgery a little over a year ago, in my case it was the variation where there is a mesh put in, so the recovery isn't too bad. It was exactly one month of no lifting, then easing back into it.

I've said this before to someone else, that it is a very confined amount of time you are out - compared to some random injuries with tendons and cartilage that can take months or more to heal, so it ends up being a blip on the radar in the grand scheme of things.

countnefarious has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by m9a1mike View Post
    I have had one for about the last year as a result of an appendectomy procedure done several years ago. I'm glad to hear some of you have had them for a longer time period and can continue to lift without the need for surgery.
    I just noticed a swelling next to my belly button, and it's right on top of an appendectomy incision from about 6 months ago. It seems to have just appeared out of nowhere. I'm certain it's a hernia, and I'm really pissed!!

m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50) m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50) m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50) m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50) m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50) m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50) m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50) m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50) m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50) m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50) m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by countnefarious View Post
    I just noticed a swelling next to my belly button, and it's right on top of an appendectomy incision from about 6 months ago. It seems to have just appeared out of nowhere. I'm certain it's a hernia, and I'm really pissed!!
    It would be wise to have a doctor look at it. From what you have described, it sounds like an umbilical hernia. If it is, you may not have anything to be overly concerned with. I've had mine for several years, and until a year ago, it never bothered me. It looked funny, however, that was it.

Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by countnefarious View Post
    Originally Posted by m9a1mike View Post
    It would be wise to have a doctor look at it. From what you have described, it sounds like an umbilical hernia. If it is, you may not have anything to be overly concerned with. I've had mine for several years, and until a year ago, it never bothered me. It looked funny, however, that was it.

Sounds more like an incisional hernia if it's right over the appendectomy scar. I had one develop shortly after my colon was resected. I showed it to the doctor and he told me to wait a year. I lived with it and worked with it for a little over a year, but the damn thing opened up almost all the way down the incision line. It was huge. One good sneeze and I probably would have lost my guts. Went through security one day in the city and the guy didn't like the way it looked. That and the fact that I couldn't resist being a wiseguy and telling him i was abducted and carrying an alien baby. He made me lift up my shirt. His reaction was priceless. Needless to say i called the doctor that afternoon to schedule the repair.
    Handle every situation like a dog ....
    If you can't Eat it or Screw it ,
    Piss on it and Walk Away.

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

About 6 weeks IIRC.

I remember when I started back it felt really strange.

I didn't read the rest of the thread, so someone may have said it, but tell the Dr. you workout. I got a larger mesh to distribute force. No issues. Don't even use a belt any more.

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by 2nd_chance View Post
    Is it causing you pain? I've had one for 6 years and it doesn't hurt at all.
    I tried to ignore mine until it started "burning".

In retrospect; I'm glad I got it done.

POBorho has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Pull-ups and sit-ups with Umbilical Hernia?

Originally Posted by Defiant1 View Post
    I tried to ignore mine until it started "burning".

In retrospect; I'm glad I got it done.
    Hi, Defiant1. I am a gymrat extraordinaire, and missing more than a day at the gym makes me on edge. I have had an umbilical hernia for over 2 years now, and I always have a burning sensation in my abdominal area, and when I do push-ups, I see a little bulge in my belly button area. I do pull-ups and sit-ups every day, and keeping strong abs is a big thing for me. If I have this surgery, would I be able to do my sit-ups and pull-ups? Would it aggravate it? How long should I wait after surgery to continue these type activities? Thanks for your help. Peace!