mc54iznit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mc54iznit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mc54iznit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mc54iznit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mc54iznit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mc54iznit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mc54iznit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mc54iznit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mc54iznit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mc54iznit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mc54iznit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

squat form check please

Hey guys, so I've been trying to get my squat form down, I'm pretty new to squats (new to doing them the right way, i used to do them with bad form). Just wanted to get some opinions on my form. I myself think everything looks good minus the fact that i round my back a bit when i go parallel, but i have no idea how to stop myself from doing that (do i just keep doing stretching exercises until it gets easier to not round the back?)

this video is of me doing relatively low weight, so not to much stress and just focusing on form

this is just a tad bit higher weight, already you can see my form is kind of breaking down.

any tips much appreciated.

ignore the the camera angle in the screenshot, the actual videos are right side up
    Last edited by mc54iznit; 05-02-2012 at 06:19 PM.

Lifting to Avoid COVID-19 PeterGibbons316's Avatar
    PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Not deep enough. Sit back more. Looks like you are rounding your back to drop your shoulders a little deeper at the bottom of each rep - stop that. Try to keep your lower back straight the whole time. Get a belt if you need to.

Next time get the video from the side at knee height.
    My Journal (RIP 05/11 - 09/13):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134256491

DIY Plyo Boxes:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151765733

mc54iznit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mc54iznit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mc54iznit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mc54iznit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mc54iznit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mc54iznit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mc54iznit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mc54iznit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mc54iznit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mc54iznit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mc54iznit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by PeterGibbons316 View Post
    Not deep enough. Sit back more. Looks like you are rounding your back to drop your shoulders a little deeper at the bottom of each rep - stop that. Try to keep your lower back straight the whole time. Get a belt if you need to.

Next time get the video from the side at knee height.
    i don't know how to get deeper though, should i just stretch more until i can get that low? the first video's weights were low enough to where i really didn't have to worry about the weight too much and i was trying to get as low as i could, so I don't see how to get deeper.

PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by mc54iznit View Post
    i don't know how to get deeper though, should i just stretch more until i can get that low? the first video's weights were low enough to where i really didn't have to worry about the weight too much and i was trying to get as low as i could, so I don't see how to get deeper.
    Can you do this stretch?

If not - just keep working at it until you can. Your stance is wide enough, but hard to tell if your toes are pointed out - that might help if they aren't. Sitting back more should also help with depth.

DIY Plyo Boxes:

Originally Posted by PeterGibbons316 View Post
    Can you do this stretch?

If not - just keep working at it until you can. Your stance is wide enough, but hard to tell if your toes are pointed out - that might help if they aren't. Sitting back more should also help with depth.
    i can kind of do that stretch, and by "kind of" i mean i can get into that position but not for very long and my back curves a bit in it. I looked online for a number of stretches made to help with squatting (the one you posted being one of them) so I'll make sure to get a good stretch every day.

also how far do you sit back? I've tried doing what i imagine is "sitting back" and i just lose my balance and fall backwards (never actually tried sitting that far back with weights on because i didn't want to lose balance with weight). Normally when trying to sit back i notice i start putting a lot of force in my heels and the balls of my feet start going up into the air until I'm falling backwards.

oh and yes i do have my toes pointed out.

At the start of each rep I throw my ass backward and try to move my knees as little as possible:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsGL4K0U-E8

Farley's squats are even better IMO:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHVI9QLYNec

DIY Plyo Boxes:

ok i watched your videos, thanks for the links. I notice when you are at the lowest form of your squat your abdomen is really close to your legs (not sure if it actually touches them or just stops a little above them). When i do them my abdomen is no where near that low. I tried to mimic that and focus on moving my knees as little as possible (not at the gym so just using imaginary barbell), and i think i got low enough. Still a lot of tension around my hips when i get really far down though so i definitely have to keep stretching and just become more flexible.

thanks for the critique and advice man.

I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    ok i watched your videos, thanks for the links. I notice when you are at the lowest form of your squat your abdomen is really close to your legs (not sure if it actually touches them or just stops a little above them). When i do them my abdomen is no where near that low. I tried to mimic that and focus on moving my knees as little as possible (not at the gym so just using imaginary barbell), and i think i got low enough. Still a lot of tension around my hips when i get really far down though so i definitely have to keep stretching and just become more flexible.

thanks for the critique and advice man.
    You can't truly work on your squat form without a loaded barbell on your back.

rbmorrison has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rbmorrison has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rbmorrison has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rbmorrison has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rbmorrison has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rbmorrison has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rbmorrison has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rbmorrison has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rbmorrison has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rbmorrison has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rbmorrison has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    i can kind of do that stretch, and by "kind of" i mean i can get into that position but not for very long and my back curves a bit in it. I looked online for a number of stretches made to help with squatting (the one you posted being one of them) so I'll make sure to get a good stretch every day.

also how far do you sit back? I've tried doing what i imagine is "sitting back" and i just lose my balance and fall backwards (never actually tried sitting that far back with weights on because i didn't want to lose balance with weight). Normally when trying to sit back i notice i start putting a lot of force in my heels and the balls of my feet start going up into the air until I'm falling backwards.

oh and yes i do have my toes pointed out.
    if your back is curving in your hamstrings aren't flexible enough causing posterior pelvic rotation(butt wink). very bad for the lower back.

Originally Posted by rbmorrison View Post
    if your back is curving in your hamstrings aren't flexible enough causing posterior pelvic rotation(butt wink). very bad for the lower back.
    so basically the fix is to just stretch out my hamstrings and get them flexible? should i not squat until i get that down? or should i continue to try even though i'm not as flexible.

essawi will become famous soon enough. (+50) essawi will become famous soon enough. (+50) essawi will become famous soon enough. (+50) essawi will become famous soon enough. (+50) essawi will become famous soon enough. (+50) essawi will become famous soon enough. (+50) essawi will become famous soon enough. (+50) essawi will become famous soon enough. (+50) essawi will become famous soon enough. (+50) essawi will become famous soon enough. (+50) essawi will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    To improve ur flexibility , there is a video called magnificent mobility , it will help u a lot.
    U can download it from the net
    dead lift the king of exercises

Eagle6319 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Legs shoulder width apart feet facing forward. Also if your upper body goes forward that's a sign of a weak core. Your legs can do the weight but your core and back can't support it as easily.

rbmorrison has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rbmorrison has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rbmorrison has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rbmorrison has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rbmorrison has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rbmorrison has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rbmorrison has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rbmorrison has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rbmorrison has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rbmorrison has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rbmorrison has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    so basically the fix is to just stretch out my hamstrings and get them flexible? should i not squat until i get that down? or should i continue to try even though i'm not as flexible.
    Keep squatting. Just don't go below the point where you see your butt start to curl under until you can improve it.

TheFuzz1290 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheFuzz1290 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheFuzz1290 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheFuzz1290 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheFuzz1290 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheFuzz1290 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheFuzz1290 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheFuzz1290 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheFuzz1290 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheFuzz1290 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheFuzz1290 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Lighten the weight to see if you still round your back. Your core may not be strong enough yet to handle even 135. Also, go as low as you possibly can and stretch daily, but don't stop doing squats. ATG are the best, but I'm in the same boat as you about not being that flexible.
    “The problem with many hypertrophy-based programs is that they leave out the strength component. You might get bigger as a result of the program, but if you don’t get any stronger you’re still a chump in my book. That’s right, I don’t care how big you are, if you aren’t strong you’re a sham. Having big muscles and no strength is the training equivalent of wearing a strap-on. All show and no go. End of story.” - Jim Wendler

5/3/1 blog - http://boringbutbig.tumblr.com