Era081011 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Era081011 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Era081011 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Era081011 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Era081011 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Era081011 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Era081011 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Era081011 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

today was a horrible workout day! :(

I started into my new gym today. I don't know if it's because I was new to their equipment and used to the old gym, but I feel like I did pretty bad today. I found myself unable to finish my sets--I'd make it through the first set, but on the third set (and sometimes even the second set) I'd make it to 8 or so and then my muscle would crap out. The weights run differently in this gym. At the old gym they went in 12lbs increments--in this gym they go in 10 pound increments on some machines, and then 15lb increments on others. It just really threw me off.

Is it okay to not finish the full 10 reps I set out to do?

Like today when I was pressing dumbbells for my chest, I did 1 set of 10 reps and 2 sets of 8 reps at the same weight. And on concentrations I did 1 set of 10, 1 set of 8, and 1 set of 6 all at the same weight. My muscle just wouldn't let me finish the set of 10. Is it okay to do it this way if my body cannot finish the set?

I have heard of people varying the reps, but usually they up the weight and lower the reps and not keep the weight the same and lower the reps??

Any advice?

kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Era081011 View Post
    I started into my new gym today. I don't know if it's because I was new to their equipment and used to the old gym, but I feel like I did pretty bad today. I found myself unable to finish my sets--I'd make it through the first set, but on the third set (and sometimes even the second set) I'd make it to 8 or so and then my muscle would crap out. The weights run differently in this gym. At the old gym they went in 12lbs increments--in this gym they go in 10 pound increments on some machines, and then 15lb increments on others. It just really threw me off.

Like today when I was pressing dumbbells for my chest, I did 1 set of 10 reps and 2 sets of 8 reps at the same weight. And on concentrations I did 1 set of 10, 1 set of 8, and 1 set of 6 all at the same weight. My muscle just wouldn't let me finish the set of 10. Is it okay to do it this way if my body cannot finish the set?

I have heard of people varying the reps, but usually they up the weight and lower the reps and not keep the weight the same and lower the reps??

Any advice?
    Sounds like you had "new school" jitters. I can understand the machines throwing you a little but dumbells are dumbells are dumbells and a 10# DB in 1 gym is the same as the next. Shake it off and try to finish your sets next time through. Does the new gym have 1/2 plates for the machines? That might help on that side but no matter what don't let 1 bad day in the gym defeat you.

You sound really down so here's some {{{hugs}}} for the rest of your day.
    You have to train your mind the same way you train your body. You must protect it against the negative and feed it with the positive. Be mindful of what you watch, what you read and who you allow to influence you. Learn to consider your thoughts emotions and actions. Trust your gut face your fears head on and never quit. AJ Roberts

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=143102443

IdaVictoria is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IdaVictoria is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IdaVictoria is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IdaVictoria is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IdaVictoria is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IdaVictoria is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IdaVictoria is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IdaVictoria is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IdaVictoria is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IdaVictoria is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IdaVictoria is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Era081011 View Post

Any advice?
    Aw, I know that feel, just recently changed gym myself. Ended up walking out of there with the worst feeling. What I found to be a little helpful was to take a few cardio days to scope out the place. May not be a part of your program, but taking a few days with medium intensity whilst casually looking around and getting a feel for the place really made a difference. I love my place now, better than my last. Its more than ok to not go ninja-apesh!t with the weights the first few times. Your general experience with the gym later on is far more important!

Nonetheless, good luck

MaliaBot has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MaliaBot has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MaliaBot has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MaliaBot has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MaliaBot has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MaliaBot has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MaliaBot has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MaliaBot has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MaliaBot has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MaliaBot has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MaliaBot has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You got in the gym and worked it!! Sounds like a good day in general, even if a bad workout day.

But it seriously could have been worse. I deadlifted in a new gym....once. I hurt my back for weeks afterwards.

TheAmazon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheAmazon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheAmazon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheAmazon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheAmazon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheAmazon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheAmazon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheAmazon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheAmazon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheAmazon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheAmazon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    or squatting till failure in the rack and then falling on you butt, reracking the weights as quickly as possible and leaving.

Kemo1990 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kemo1990 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kemo1990 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kemo1990 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kemo1990 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kemo1990 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kemo1990 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kemo1990 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kemo1990 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kemo1990 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kemo1990 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    ive gone into the gym not being about to do my 10rm that i easily hit the week before...just **** happens check your diet and sleep.

Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Some days you just have a bad day. You have to recover from it and go on! Don't let the new gym be an excuse.. go on with it and don't worry about it. Yes it's okay not to hit how many you had hoped for. the key is trying as hard as possible and if 8 was how you gave it your all vs 10 then that is what it is! Tomorrow will be better.
    Sarah- NASM CPT

Weighed 245 LBS after having 2nd child in April 2006
    BodPod Results:
    August '09 33.7% Body Fat at 178 lbs & down to 22.9% body fat at 151 lbs in September '11

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    New to lifting? Bad days happen. Maybe cuz you've got a bad attitude one day, maybe you're coming down with something, etc. Just shake it off and go back in the next time. The only time I worry is if I'm pushing for burnout. If I don't progress for several weeks, deload is in order.
    "Start where you are. It's never too late to change your life."

MelnCrash will become famous soon enough. (+50) MelnCrash will become famous soon enough. (+50) MelnCrash will become famous soon enough. (+50) MelnCrash will become famous soon enough. (+50) MelnCrash will become famous soon enough. (+50) MelnCrash will become famous soon enough. (+50) MelnCrash will become famous soon enough. (+50) MelnCrash will become famous soon enough. (+50) MelnCrash will become famous soon enough. (+50) MelnCrash will become famous soon enough. (+50) MelnCrash will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I use my gym at home normally and some days i just have no strength and can barely do my sets at all. (usually when i haven't eaten properly that day) I usually do my best then do a few extra things afterwards (maybe go for a little jog, do some skipping or even do my favourite lift just at lower weights) to take my mind off it.

No need to beat yourself up about it, Just think about your next work out

5more is just really nice. (+1000) 5more is just really nice. (+1000) 5more is just really nice. (+1000) 5more is just really nice. (+1000) 5more is just really nice. (+1000) 5more is just really nice. (+1000) 5more is just really nice. (+1000) 5more is just really nice. (+1000) 5more is just really nice. (+1000) 5more is just really nice. (+1000) 5more is just really nice. (+1000)
    I've had days like those. For me it's usually diet or overtraining.

DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I wouldn't say I have had an entirely horrible week. Both leg days felt pretty good. The other days I feel like I sucked a little - but for me it's due to stress and not sleeping so great. So today could have been any number of things - I switched facilities recently myself and I feel my workouts are a lot better but there is differences in the machines which is odd to me. I mean, I'd think a certain amount of pounds is a certain amount of pounds, you know? Like, at my old gym, I could do I think 110 pounds on the lying hamstring curl machine. At the new gym, I can do 65. ????? But I figure the actual number doesn't matter - as long as the weight is challenging.

So you could just not have felt as comfortable, maybe you didn't get enough rest, maybe you didn't eat enough. See what happens over the next few days. And hang in there! We all have crappy workouts every once in a while. The thing is how you overcome that tomorrow
    Danielle xoxo

#TEAM HYPE