Botolani808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Botolani808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Botolani808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Botolani808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Botolani808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Botolani808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Botolani808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Botolani808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Botolani808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Botolani808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Botolani808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Mental preparation before attempting a PR and competition

Started weightlifting with a coach mid march, technique improved ten fold,learning every training day, and getting stronger. My coach wants me to at least snatch 70kg and clean and jerk 90kg @94 kg weight class by June 16 (my first competition).

Today was a PR day for snatch hit 65kg last week on my second attempt, hit 67.5 kg today and felt easy. We loaded the bar to 70kg and I felt pretty calm my first attempt but I missed it in front. My second attempt was worse, while resting up for the lift I felt uneasy about the it( heart racing, negative thoughts) and when I tried I missed it in front again.

Just wondering what you guys go though mentally to get kill those PRs. I always picture myself making the lift before An attempt to give me a positive mindset which usually works but, once I miss the first attempt it goes downhill from there.

Also with my first competition coming up in about a month I would like to know how was your first comp? I'm feeling very excited and eager to compete.

BadSnatch will become famous soon enough. (+50) BadSnatch will become famous soon enough. (+50) BadSnatch will become famous soon enough. (+50) BadSnatch will become famous soon enough. (+50) BadSnatch will become famous soon enough. (+50) BadSnatch will become famous soon enough. (+50) BadSnatch will become famous soon enough. (+50) BadSnatch will become famous soon enough. (+50) BadSnatch will become famous soon enough. (+50) BadSnatch will become famous soon enough. (+50) BadSnatch will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I make a mean face and pretend I'm Klokov.

MikeWittmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeWittmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeWittmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeWittmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeWittmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeWittmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeWittmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeWittmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeWittmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeWittmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeWittmer is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Botolani808 View Post
    Started weightlifting with a coach mid march, technique improved ten fold,learning every training day, and getting stronger. My coach wants me to at least snatch 70kg and clean and jerk 90kg @94 kg weight class by June 16 (my first competition).

Today was a PR day for snatch hit 65kg last week on my second attempt, hit 67.5 kg today and felt easy. We loaded the bar to 70kg and I felt pretty calm my first attempt but I missed it in front. My second attempt was worse, while resting up for the lift I felt uneasy about the it( heart racing, negative thoughts) and when I tried I missed it in front again.

Just wondering what you guys go though mentally to get kill those PRs. I always picture myself making the lift before An attempt to give me a positive mindset which usually works but, once I miss the first attempt it goes downhill from there.

Also with my first competition coming up in about a month I would like to know how was your first comp? I'm feeling very excited and eager to compete.
    An entire book could probably be devoted to this topic. For me, the idea of attempting to do something that I had never done (or even tried)before was one of the most appealing aspects of the sport.

Have you ever heard of the saying, "If you think you can, you might, but if you think you can't, you're right."? I missed a lot of weights that I thought I would make, but I don't recall ever standing over the bar and thinking, "I don't know about this today," or "the bar feels heavy" and I ended up making the lift. Competition will force you to go after attempts you had not planned and under those circumstances you may surprise yourself, but it is unlikely in training.

Before the acutal lift, don't think about how the weight "feels" or try to determine, during the lift, if the weight is makeable. Don't clutter your mind with several thoughts, you can't process them all anyway. Instead, focus on an aspect of the lift that needs attention, dependant upon your own weaknesses or needs. For example, if you raise your hips in the pull think about keeping them down. Or, think about finishing the pull if that is where you miss lifts. Or, pulling straight. Whatever it is for you.

I recall my own son, after going to the OTC, lifting in his first national meet with the coaches. He was given a list of literally a dozen points before going out for his lifts. I thought, seriously? First off, who can remember all of that? Secondly, at that point he had won several junior national championships, so this wasn't his first rodeo. Even though a beginner needs to know all of that, you learn it step by step and it has to be automatic at some point. These are quick movements and you cannot think your way through the lift.

Also, consider why you are missing the lift. Be honest. The only acceptable reason to miss a weight is that it is too heavy. If that is the case, stop. You aren't getting stronger in the next two minutes. You will simply reinforce bad positions. Strive for consistancy in your technique.

Regarding meets, I like the second attempt to be a weight you are regularly making in training. The opener is a weight you can fall out of bed and make, on your worst day. This is especially true for new lifters. Later, when you are caught up in competition and placings, your strategy may change. Remember, it is one thing for your opponent to put pressure on you, it is entirely something else when you put it on yourself.

Hope this helps.

Reidy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reidy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reidy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reidy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reidy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reidy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reidy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reidy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reidy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reidy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reidy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by BadSnatch View Post
    I find pretending I'm Klokov and the weight that I'm about to lift is actually in kilos and not pounds does the trick.

wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by BadSnatch View Post
    believe it or not i seriously do something similar to this... i think hard about all the elements of the lift, what my pull should be like, a big extension, etc. then i picture the greats and how easy this would be for them, and how easy they make the heavy shiz look... this is my zone, people wonder what im doing staring off into space, but this gets me mentally prepped for the lift ahead. then i just go at it with the donny shankle mindset: like i'm gonna rip the head off a lion (with good form )
    "The weak-minded would shrink away from what must be done for fear of being ridiculed by the wicked" - Terry Goodkind

"Be the change you wish to see in the world"...-Ghandi

Prep Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158667243

ugjennomtrengelig mørke fraverdenstreet's Avatar
    fraverdenstreet is just really nice. (+1000) fraverdenstreet is just really nice. (+1000) fraverdenstreet is just really nice. (+1000) fraverdenstreet is just really nice. (+1000) fraverdenstreet is just really nice. (+1000) fraverdenstreet is just really nice. (+1000) fraverdenstreet is just really nice. (+1000) fraverdenstreet is just really nice. (+1000) fraverdenstreet is just really nice. (+1000) fraverdenstreet is just really nice. (+1000) fraverdenstreet is just really nice. (+1000)
    now i pretend i'm akkaev when i snatch and ilya when i clean and jerk. weird
    Competition lifts @ 94kgs: 130/161

http://www.youtube.com/user/g3waltiger

fordømt ... for alltid. tenker på det. prøve å forestille slutten av evigheten. lukk øynene. Lukk øynene og prøv å forestille seg. for alltid. smerte. for alltid.

Botolani808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Botolani808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Botolani808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Botolani808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Botolani808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Botolani808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Botolani808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Botolani808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Botolani808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Botolani808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Botolani808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by MikeWittmer View Post
    An entire book could probably be devoted to this topic. For me, the idea of attempting to do something that I had never done (or even tried)before was one of the most appealing aspects of the sport.

Have you ever heard of the saying, "If you think you can, you might, but if you think you can't, you're right."? I missed a lot of weights that I thought I would make, but I don't recall ever standing over the bar and thinking, "I don't know about this today," or "the bar feels heavy" and I ended up making the lift. Competition will force you to go after attempts you had not planned and under those circumstances you may surprise yourself, but it is unlikely in training.

Before the acutal lift, don't think about how the weight "feels" or try to determine, during the lift, if the weight is makeable. Don't clutter your mind with several thoughts, you can't process them all anyway. Instead, focus on an aspect of the lift that needs attention, dependant upon your own weaknesses or needs. For example, if you raise your hips in the pull think about keeping them down. Or, think about finishing the pull if that is where you miss lifts. Or, pulling straight. Whatever it is for you.

I recall my own son, after going to the OTC, lifting in his first national meet with the coaches. He was given a list of literally a dozen points before going out for his lifts. I thought, seriously? First off, who can remember all of that? Secondly, at that point he had won several junior national championships, so this wasn't his first rodeo. Even though a beginner needs to know all of that, you learn it step by step and it has to be automatic at some point. These are quick movements and you cannot think your way through the lift.

Also, consider why you are missing the lift. Be honest. The only acceptable reason to miss a weight is that it is too heavy. If that is the case, stop. You aren't getting stronger in the next two minutes. You will simply reinforce bad positions. Strive for consistancy in your technique.

Regarding meets, I like the second attempt to be a weight you are regularly making in training. The opener is a weight you can fall out of bed and make, on your worst day. This is especially true for new lifters. Later, when you are caught up in competition and placings, your strategy may change. Remember, it is one thing for your opponent to put pressure on you, it is entirely something else when you put it on yourself.

Hope this helps.
    Thank you very much Mike for those helpful tips and personal expirences.

Greco-Roman is just really nice. (+1000) Greco-Roman is just really nice. (+1000) Greco-Roman is just really nice. (+1000) Greco-Roman is just really nice. (+1000) Greco-Roman is just really nice. (+1000) Greco-Roman is just really nice. (+1000) Greco-Roman is just really nice. (+1000) Greco-Roman is just really nice. (+1000) Greco-Roman is just really nice. (+1000) Greco-Roman is just really nice. (+1000) Greco-Roman is just really nice. (+1000)
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=144402081

This thread may have useful information for you as well.

Originally Posted by Greco-Roman View Post
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=144402081

This thread may have useful information for you as well.
    Thanks alot for the great link