Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

    The World’s #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

Reply
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Registered User Botolani808's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2010
    Location: Hawaii, United States
    Age: 19
    Stats: 5'11", 185 lbs
    Posts: 136
    Rep Power: 12
    Botolani808 is a name known to all. (+5000) Botolani808 is a name known to all. (+5000) Botolani808 is a name known to all. (+5000) Botolani808 is a name known to all. (+5000) Botolani808 is a name known to all. (+5000) Botolani808 is a name known to all. (+5000) Botolani808 is a name known to all. (+5000) Botolani808 is a name known to all. (+5000) Botolani808 is a name known to all. (+5000) Botolani808 is a name known to all. (+5000) Botolani808 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Visit Botolani808's BodySpace
    Botolani808 is offline

    Mental preparation before attempting a PR and competition

    Started weightlifting with a coach mid march, technique improved ten fold,learning every training day, and getting stronger. My coach wants me to at least snatch 70kg and clean and jerk 90kg @94 kg weight class by June 16 (my first competition).

    Today was a PR day for snatch hit 65kg last week on my second attempt, hit 67.5 kg today and felt easy. We loaded the bar to 70kg and I felt pretty calm my first attempt but I missed it in front. My second attempt was worse, while resting up for the lift I felt uneasy about the it( heart racing, negative thoughts) and when I tried I missed it in front again.

    Just wondering what you guys go though mentally to get kill those PRs. I always picture myself making the lift before An attempt to give me a positive mindset which usually works but, once I miss the first attempt it goes downhill from there.

    Also with my first competition coming up in about a month I would like to know how was your first comp? I'm feeling very excited and eager to compete.
    Reply With Quote

  2. #2
    Registered User BadSnatch's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2011
    Age: 22
    Stats: 6'0", 229 lbs
    Posts: 95
    Rep Power: 55
    BadSnatch has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) BadSnatch has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) BadSnatch has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) BadSnatch has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) BadSnatch has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) BadSnatch has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) BadSnatch has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) BadSnatch has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) BadSnatch has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) BadSnatch has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) BadSnatch has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Visit BadSnatch's BodySpace
    BadSnatch is offline
    I make a mean face and pretend I'm Klokov.
    Reply With Quote

  3. #3
    Registered User MikeWittmer's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2012
    Stats: 6'0", 233 lbs
    Posts: 84
    Rep Power: 18
    MikeWittmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeWittmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeWittmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeWittmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeWittmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeWittmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeWittmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeWittmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeWittmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeWittmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeWittmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Visit MikeWittmer's BodySpace
    MikeWittmer is offline
    Originally Posted by Botolani808 View Post
    Started weightlifting with a coach mid march, technique improved ten fold,learning every training day, and getting stronger. My coach wants me to at least snatch 70kg and clean and jerk 90kg @94 kg weight class by June 16 (my first competition).

    Today was a PR day for snatch hit 65kg last week on my second attempt, hit 67.5 kg today and felt easy. We loaded the bar to 70kg and I felt pretty calm my first attempt but I missed it in front. My second attempt was worse, while resting up for the lift I felt uneasy about the it( heart racing, negative thoughts) and when I tried I missed it in front again.

    Just wondering what you guys go though mentally to get kill those PRs. I always picture myself making the lift before An attempt to give me a positive mindset which usually works but, once I miss the first attempt it goes downhill from there.

    Also with my first competition coming up in about a month I would like to know how was your first comp? I'm feeling very excited and eager to compete.
    An entire book could probably be devoted to this topic. For me, the idea of attempting to do something that I had never done (or even tried)before was one of the most appealing aspects of the sport.

    Have you ever heard of the saying, "If you think you can, you might, but if you think you can't, you're right."? I missed a lot of weights that I thought I would make, but I don't recall ever standing over the bar and thinking, "I don't know about this today," or "the bar feels heavy" and I ended up making the lift. Competition will force you to go after attempts you had not planned and under those circumstances you may surprise yourself, but it is unlikely in training.

    Before the acutal lift, don't think about how the weight "feels" or try to determine, during the lift, if the weight is makeable. Don't clutter your mind with several thoughts, you can't process them all anyway. Instead, focus on an aspect of the lift that needs attention, dependant upon your own weaknesses or needs. For example, if you raise your hips in the pull think about keeping them down. Or, think about finishing the pull if that is where you miss lifts. Or, pulling straight. Whatever it is for you.

    I recall my own son, after going to the OTC, lifting in his first national meet with the coaches. He was given a list of literally a dozen points before going out for his lifts. I thought, seriously? First off, who can remember all of that? Secondly, at that point he had won several junior national championships, so this wasn't his first rodeo. Even though a beginner needs to know all of that, you learn it step by step and it has to be automatic at some point. These are quick movements and you cannot think your way through the lift.

    Also, consider why you are missing the lift. Be honest. The only acceptable reason to miss a weight is that it is too heavy. If that is the case, stop. You aren't getting stronger in the next two minutes. You will simply reinforce bad positions. Strive for consistancy in your technique.

    Regarding meets, I like the second attempt to be a weight you are regularly making in training. The opener is a weight you can fall out of bed and make, on your worst day. This is especially true for new lifters. Later, when you are caught up in competition and placings, your strategy may change. Remember, it is one thing for your opponent to put pressure on you, it is entirely something else when you put it on yourself.

    Hope this helps.
    Reply With Quote

  4. #4
    Registered User Reidy's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2005
    Location: Boston, Massachusetts, United States
    Stats: 6'3", 222 lbs
    Posts: 563
    BodyPoints: 777
    Rep Power: 235
    Reidy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Reidy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Reidy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Reidy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Reidy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Reidy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Reidy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Reidy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Reidy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Reidy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Reidy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit Reidy's BodySpace
    Reidy is offline
    Originally Posted by BadSnatch View Post
    I make a mean face and pretend I'm Klokov.
    I find pretending I'm Klokov and the weight that I'm about to lift is actually in kilos and not pounds does the trick.
    Reply With Quote

  5. #5
    Scientist/Wannabe BB wrkoutfrq's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2009
    Age: 27
    Stats: 5'9", 174 lbs
    Posts: 5,412
    Rep Power: 7709
    wrkoutfrq has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) wrkoutfrq has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) wrkoutfrq has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) wrkoutfrq has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) wrkoutfrq has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) wrkoutfrq has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) wrkoutfrq has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) wrkoutfrq has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) wrkoutfrq has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) wrkoutfrq has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) wrkoutfrq has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit wrkoutfrq's BodySpace
    wrkoutfrq is offline
    Originally Posted by BadSnatch View Post
    I make a mean face and pretend I'm Klokov.
    believe it or not i seriously do something similar to this... i think hard about all the elements of the lift, what my pull should be like, a big extension, etc. then i picture the greats and how easy this would be for them, and how easy they make the heavy shiz look... this is my zone, people wonder what im doing staring off into space, but this gets me mentally prepped for the lift ahead. then i just go at it with the donny shankle mindset: like i'm gonna rip the head off a lion (with good form )
    Team Inov8 Elite Performance

    "The weak-minded would shrink away from what must be done for fear of being ridiculed by the wicked" - Terry Goodkind

    "Be the change you wish to see in the world"...-Ghandi

    Prep Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158667243
    Reply With Quote

  6. #6
    ugjennomtrengelig mørke fraverdenstreet's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2012
    Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
    Age: 25
    Stats: 6'0", 206 lbs
    Posts: 1,323
    Rep Power: 1975
    fraverdenstreet has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) fraverdenstreet has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) fraverdenstreet has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) fraverdenstreet has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) fraverdenstreet has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) fraverdenstreet has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) fraverdenstreet has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) fraverdenstreet has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) fraverdenstreet has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) fraverdenstreet has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) fraverdenstreet has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit fraverdenstreet's BodySpace
    fraverdenstreet is offline
    now i pretend i'm akkaev when i snatch and ilya when i clean and jerk. weird
    Competition lifts @ 94kgs: 130/161

    http://www.youtube.com/user/g3waltiger

    fordømt ... for alltid. tenker på det. prøve å forestille slutten av evigheten. lukk øynene. Lukk øynene og prøv å forestille seg. for alltid. smerte. for alltid.
    Reply With Quote

  7. #7
    Registered User Botolani808's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2010
    Location: Hawaii, United States
    Age: 19
    Stats: 5'11", 185 lbs
    Posts: 136
    Rep Power: 12
    Botolani808 is a name known to all. (+5000) Botolani808 is a name known to all. (+5000) Botolani808 is a name known to all. (+5000) Botolani808 is a name known to all. (+5000) Botolani808 is a name known to all. (+5000) Botolani808 is a name known to all. (+5000) Botolani808 is a name known to all. (+5000) Botolani808 is a name known to all. (+5000) Botolani808 is a name known to all. (+5000) Botolani808 is a name known to all. (+5000) Botolani808 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Visit Botolani808's BodySpace
    Botolani808 is offline
    Originally Posted by MikeWittmer View Post
    An entire book could probably be devoted to this topic. For me, the idea of attempting to do something that I had never done (or even tried)before was one of the most appealing aspects of the sport.

    Have you ever heard of the saying, "If you think you can, you might, but if you think you can't, you're right."? I missed a lot of weights that I thought I would make, but I don't recall ever standing over the bar and thinking, "I don't know about this today," or "the bar feels heavy" and I ended up making the lift. Competition will force you to go after attempts you had not planned and under those circumstances you may surprise yourself, but it is unlikely in training.

    Before the acutal lift, don't think about how the weight "feels" or try to determine, during the lift, if the weight is makeable. Don't clutter your mind with several thoughts, you can't process them all anyway. Instead, focus on an aspect of the lift that needs attention, dependant upon your own weaknesses or needs. For example, if you raise your hips in the pull think about keeping them down. Or, think about finishing the pull if that is where you miss lifts. Or, pulling straight. Whatever it is for you.

    I recall my own son, after going to the OTC, lifting in his first national meet with the coaches. He was given a list of literally a dozen points before going out for his lifts. I thought, seriously? First off, who can remember all of that? Secondly, at that point he had won several junior national championships, so this wasn't his first rodeo. Even though a beginner needs to know all of that, you learn it step by step and it has to be automatic at some point. These are quick movements and you cannot think your way through the lift.

    Also, consider why you are missing the lift. Be honest. The only acceptable reason to miss a weight is that it is too heavy. If that is the case, stop. You aren't getting stronger in the next two minutes. You will simply reinforce bad positions. Strive for consistancy in your technique.

    Regarding meets, I like the second attempt to be a weight you are regularly making in training. The opener is a weight you can fall out of bed and make, on your worst day. This is especially true for new lifters. Later, when you are caught up in competition and placings, your strategy may change. Remember, it is one thing for your opponent to put pressure on you, it is entirely something else when you put it on yourself.

    Hope this helps.
    Thank you very much Mike for those helpful tips and personal expirences.
    Reply With Quote

  8. #8
    Registered User Greco-Roman's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2008
    Location: United States
    Age: 21
    Stats: 5'3", 145 lbs
    Posts: 1,350
    Rep Power: 2009
    Greco-Roman has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Greco-Roman has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Greco-Roman has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Greco-Roman has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Greco-Roman has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Greco-Roman has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Greco-Roman has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Greco-Roman has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Greco-Roman has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Greco-Roman has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Greco-Roman has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit Greco-Roman's BodySpace
    Greco-Roman is offline
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=144402081

    This thread may have useful information for you as well.
    Reply With Quote

  9. #9
    Registered User Botolani808's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2010
    Location: Hawaii, United States
    Age: 19
    Stats: 5'11", 185 lbs
    Posts: 136
    Rep Power: 12
    Botolani808 is a name known to all. (+5000) Botolani808 is a name known to all. (+5000) Botolani808 is a name known to all. (+5000) Botolani808 is a name known to all. (+5000) Botolani808 is a name known to all. (+5000) Botolani808 is a name known to all. (+5000) Botolani808 is a name known to all. (+5000) Botolani808 is a name known to all. (+5000) Botolani808 is a name known to all. (+5000) Botolani808 is a name known to all. (+5000) Botolani808 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Visit Botolani808's BodySpace
    Botolani808 is offline
    Originally Posted by Greco-Roman View Post
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=144402081

    This thread may have useful information for you as well.
    Thanks alot for the great link
    Reply With Quote

Reply

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Home Store Products Careers Help Contact Us Terms of Use Checkout