Thread: get bigger arms

clevy09 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) clevy09 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) clevy09 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) clevy09 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) clevy09 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) clevy09 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) clevy09 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) clevy09 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) clevy09 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) clevy09 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) clevy09 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

get bigger arms

hey guys,
    I have been working out for around a year so far but I am first finding out the correct form for my exercises. So far, my chest has been improving the most along with my legs but my arms haven't been really gaining as much size. I am 20 years old and I was wondering what is the best thing I can do to beef them up more. Should I do much heavier weight or just burn them out with a light weight? Thanks

clevy09 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) clevy09 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) clevy09 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) clevy09 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) clevy09 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) clevy09 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) clevy09 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) clevy09 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) clevy09 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) clevy09 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) clevy09 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    anyone?

dinobotfury has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dinobotfury has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Try incorporating a lot of mass building exercises for arms like barbell curls, dumbbell curls, weighted dips, tricep pushdown, maybe even some close grip bench press, using a weight that you can only do 6-10 reps with, controlling the weight and not using momentum. How do you train your arms now?

Originally Posted by dinobotfury View Post
    Try incorporating a lot of mass building exercises for arms like barbell curls, dumbbell curls, weighted dips, tricep pushdown, maybe even some close grip bench press, using a weight that you can only do 6-10 reps with, controlling the weight and not using momentum. How do you train your arms now?
    I try doing those exercises but the biggest problem my trainer found was my incredibly bad bicep curl motion. I wasn't isolating the muscle at all. I'll try to lift heavier but I do all of those exercises but I'm not sure how long it will take for my arms to noticeably bulk up. It annoys me how much time I wasted in the gym doing these exercises completely wrong.

GiZZmo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GiZZmo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GiZZmo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GiZZmo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GiZZmo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GiZZmo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GiZZmo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GiZZmo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GiZZmo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GiZZmo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GiZZmo has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    The routine that has worked for me is

BB curls 4x6
    skull crusher 4x6
    DB curls 4x8
    Rope push Downs 4x10
    Concentration curls 4x10
    Weighted bench dips 4x10

I SS these and love it.

Side note: arms are the only thing I super set and its just my preference.
    You don't need designer workout equipment to be a BEAST!

"You can't out supplement a poor diet." - Valhallabound86

If I had Iron will and John G as my trainers I would win MR O title no doubt. SRS!!! Those guys through age and experience KNOW what they are talking about so LISTEN TO WHAT THEY TELL YOU HOMIE!

Originally Posted by GiZZmo View Post
    The routine that has worked for me is

BB curls 4x6
    skull crusher 4x6
    DB curls 4x8
    Rope push Downs 4x10

so is this ur only arm day? meaning do you only do this workout for arms once a week?
    Concentration curls 4x10
    Weighted bench dips 4x10

I SS these and love it.

Side note: arms are the only thing I super set and its just my preference.
    so do you only do this arm routine once per week?

GiZZmo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GiZZmo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GiZZmo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GiZZmo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GiZZmo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GiZZmo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GiZZmo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GiZZmo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GiZZmo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GiZZmo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GiZZmo has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by clevy09 View Post
    I try doing those exercises but the biggest problem my trainer found was my incredibly bad bicep curl motion. I wasn't isolating the muscle at all. I'll try to lift heavier but I do all of those exercises but I'm not sure how long it will take for my arms to noticeably bulk up. It annoys me how much time I wasted in the gym doing these exercises completely wrong.
    Its gonna take time bro. Just be patient and they will grow. Just try out different type routines until you find the one that works for you. I know it gets frustrating, trust me we have all been there. Just keep at.it.and you'll get the results you're looking for.

If I had Iron will and John G as my trainers I would win MR O title no doubt. SRS!!! Those guys through age and experience KNOW what they are talking about so LISTEN TO WHAT THEY TELL YOU HOMIE!

so do you only do this arm routine once per week?
    Yeah I do each body part once a week.

Originally Posted by GiZZmo View Post
    Yeah I do each body part once a week.
    interesting...yea, personally I have never tried super sets so maybe that will work for me a little better

mistatrip is not very well liked. (-100) mistatrip is not very well liked. (-100) mistatrip is not very well liked. (-100) mistatrip is not very well liked. (-100) mistatrip is not very well liked. (-100) mistatrip is not very well liked. (-100) mistatrip is not very well liked. (-100) mistatrip is not very well liked. (-100) mistatrip is not very well liked. (-100) mistatrip is not very well liked. (-100) mistatrip is not very well liked. (-100)
    Yeah try supersets but also try doing preacher curls that helped me a little bit with form

richardfun189 is not very well liked. (-100) richardfun189 is not very well liked. (-100) richardfun189 is not very well liked. (-100) richardfun189 is not very well liked. (-100) richardfun189 is not very well liked. (-100) richardfun189 is not very well liked. (-100) richardfun189 is not very well liked. (-100) richardfun189 is not very well liked. (-100) richardfun189 is not very well liked. (-100) richardfun189 is not very well liked. (-100) richardfun189 is not very well liked. (-100)
    hey guys,
    I have been working out for around a year so far but I am first finding out the correct form for my exercises. So far, my chest has been improving the most along with my legs but my arms haven't been really gaining as much size. I am 20 years old and I was wondering what is the best thing I can do to beef them up more. Should I do much heavier weight or just burn them out with a light weight? Thanks
    adapt the weight of dumbbell and before arms exercise you have to make enough compound exercise for your whole body. that would be helpful for burning your arms

claudineriddle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You can try bicep curl, barbell, wide grip. They will surely help you with your arms.

thanks everyone

Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    hey guys,
    Correct me if I'm wrong. You have been working out for around a year and are just now finding the correct form for exercises?

For biceps I don't do much.

Barbell Curl-This always stays in my bicep routine
    Dumbbell Hammer Curl- Now i'll swap this second exercise out when I feel like it with Incline DB curls or Preacher Curls

3-4 sets for each w/8-12 reps. This is enough for my biceps.
    My training log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178464441

Tekstorm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tekstorm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tekstorm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tekstorm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tekstorm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tekstorm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tekstorm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tekstorm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tekstorm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tekstorm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tekstorm will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    hey guys,
    This article has a method that may help you,
    bodybuilding dot com/fun/betteru48.htm

I have similar issues with making gains on my arms compared to the rest of my body. I've already seen results in the short time I've been using this method. Hope it helps you, good luck.

oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000)
    everybody wants to be a bodybuilder but nobody wants to lift no heavy ass weight

Noms6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    nothing but a peanut

MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Ivarr84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ivarr84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ivarr84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ivarr84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ivarr84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ivarr84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ivarr84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ivarr84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ivarr84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ivarr84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ivarr84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    For the best results, don't use super heavy weight that you can't properly control. The arms are a pretty touchy and stubborn group of muscles, and they need very in-tuned hard negatives and lots of volume. Also, do compound movements before working to identify specific areas of the arm. Biceps for example, do barbell curls, then hammer curls, preacher curls, then concentration curls. For triceps, do close grip bench press, straight bar press-downs, then over-head single arm extensions. Stretch hard between every set, hit hard ass negatives and really fight gravity, eat more, and you'll have results in no time.

WoopItsKevin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WoopItsKevin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WoopItsKevin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WoopItsKevin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WoopItsKevin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WoopItsKevin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WoopItsKevin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WoopItsKevin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WoopItsKevin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WoopItsKevin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WoopItsKevin has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    My personal routine:

Cable Rope Pushdowns:
    - 2 sets to warm up
    Alternating Dumbbell Curls:
    - 1 warm up set
    - 3 working sets 8-12 reps
    Close Grip Bench Press:
    - 1 warm up set 20 reps
    - 2 working sets 6-10 reps
    Barbell Curls:
    - 3 working sets 8-15 reps, with the last set as a dropset
    Upright Seated Skullcrushers: (w/ dumbbell or ez-curl bar)
    - 3 working sets 12-15 reps
    Preacher Curls
    - I'll do a weight I can get for 15-20 reps...do 1 set to failure, wait 30 secs, do another set to failure, wait 30 secs, and do one last set to failure.

Just what I've used and I think it's been helping me out!
    PharmaFreak Sponsored Athlete
    www.PharmaFreak.com

Interact with me on Twitter and InstaGram! @KevinSchosek

www.BodiesByKevin.com

Registered User TheKingOfCleans's Avatar
    TheKingOfCleans will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheKingOfCleans will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheKingOfCleans will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheKingOfCleans will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheKingOfCleans will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheKingOfCleans will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheKingOfCleans will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheKingOfCleans will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheKingOfCleans will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheKingOfCleans will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheKingOfCleans will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Use less weight. I don't know why you even started a thread when you admit that you have terrible form and are not isolating the muscles. There's a video of 260lb Kai Greene curling 30 pound DBs for like 7 reps on the net somewhere. And he has some of the biggest arms out there. So think about that next time you're doing your full body curls with 40s.

renferos will become famous soon enough. (+50) renferos will become famous soon enough. (+50) renferos will become famous soon enough. (+50) renferos will become famous soon enough. (+50) renferos will become famous soon enough. (+50) renferos will become famous soon enough. (+50) renferos will become famous soon enough. (+50) renferos will become famous soon enough. (+50) renferos will become famous soon enough. (+50) renferos will become famous soon enough. (+50) renferos will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by MWheatley View Post
    "Yeah, buddy", "Light weight, Light weight"
    I wanna be the very best
    Like no one ever was
    To catch them is my real test
    To train them is my cause

I will travel across the land
    Searching far and wide
    Each Pokemon to understand
    The power that's inside

I will smack your hand. HighFivan's Avatar
    HighFivan is a name known to all. (+5000) HighFivan is a name known to all. (+5000) HighFivan is a name known to all. (+5000) HighFivan is a name known to all. (+5000) HighFivan is a name known to all. (+5000) HighFivan is a name known to all. (+5000) HighFivan is a name known to all. (+5000) HighFivan is a name known to all. (+5000) HighFivan is a name known to all. (+5000) HighFivan is a name known to all. (+5000) HighFivan is a name known to all. (+5000)
    my advice, which is completely generic and overused;

keep trying different things brother.
    some respond differently to different movements, weights, and certainly rep ranges.

there are thousands of different arm routines and even more people with incredible arms.
    Find what works for you and build off of that.

personally for triceps I like to abuse the rope attachment (overhead ext and pushdown), and love love love dips.
    remember that thicker arms typically are a result of that full tricep development.
    biceps I tend to mix it up. Im a fan of just good ol straight barbell curls, seated curls, and concentration. for some reason my arm likes to go screwy on preacher curls however in the past they have done me good.

best of luck!

AdrianPerry is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdrianPerry is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdrianPerry is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdrianPerry is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdrianPerry is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdrianPerry is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdrianPerry is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdrianPerry is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdrianPerry is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdrianPerry is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdrianPerry is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I've been following a routine of 6 rep's x3 sets with a "heavy" weight for the past 5-6months. Recently I've experimented with trying 10 rep's x3 sets with a "lighter" weight which seems to work much more effectively.

Really focus your attention on squeezing the muscles your working and with a slightly lighter weight allows you to keep a really nice "perfect" form. I've found this makes my muscles feel so much more worked than attempting to bust out a heavier weight with some loss of good form and concentration.

EDIT: Preacher curls are great for working biceps.

Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I posted this in another thread.

Originally Posted by Pump Freak 86 View Post
    Everything I'm about to say is against the rules of Internet bodybuilding but here goes. I've had the problem you've had for close to 10 years as I've been through all the different training styles etc. this is the stuff I with I'd known early on.

Step 1: train arms 2x per week. I know it's "overtraining" (otherwise known as kicking your arms' ass) but you need to do more work on your arms if everything but them is growing. Rather than do 2 full blown arm days, I'd do 1.5 arm days a week. So if you'd normally do 8 sets, then do two workouts of 6 sets for a total of 12. You won't dig in as much in a given session so your recovery should be ok, but you'll get more volume than you otherwise could.

Step 2: emphasize arms in your other lifts. Learning to do pullups with minimal biceps and bench presses with minimal triceps is dandy, but most guys with big arms get a lot of arm growth out of those movements. Don't be afraid to use a somewhat closer grip on the bench press and to prioritize chinups and underhand barbell rows in your chest and back training.

Step 3: REVERSE CURLS. I literally just realized this morning that a large set of relaxed arms is like two complementary wedges. The big side of the front wedge is the lower bicep area and the big side of the rear wedge is the upper tricep area. Obviously, you know to train your bid and tris, but the effect of a big brachialis on the lower bicep area can drastically alter the look of your arms. Even a slight improvement in that muscle will be noticeable. Reverse curls, hammer curls, etc will help a lot.

Step 4: Prioritize overhead tricep exercises. The largest of the tricep heads is the inner or long tricep head. Make it big, and you win the game. Any movement where you begin in a stretched position (like an overhead dumbbell extension or skullcrusher) will engage that head more than the others.

Step 5: supersets are nice. You can always pair biceps with triceps, but you can also pair bicep exercises back to back (same with tris). I like dumbell curls paired with chinups and cable press downs paired with medicine ball pushups. It's a bit of experimentation, but it's a strategy you can use.

Step 6: peak contraction and slow negatives. When you get to the top of the curl rom, you should squeeze the bicep until you feel it cramp, especially when you're doing a supinating dumbbell curl. Really squeeze the hell out of the end of the rom. The same goes for triceps. The better you can get at contracting the tricep without hyper extending the elbow, the easier effective training will come.

Step 7: know your grips. Close grip barbell curls for the outer head, wide for the inner. But what about dumbbells? If you hold a dumbell off-center, you change the feel of the movement to make certain parts of the rom more difficult (effective). If you let your thumbs and forefingers contact the plate so that there's a gap between your pinky and the other plate, you'll be able to make the supination and peak contraction more difficult.

Step 8: do what works for you and nothing else. The stuff I said above works for me, but you might be different. There are no rules in this sport. Do the best you can.

RLAR is just really nice. (+1000) RLAR is just really nice. (+1000) RLAR is just really nice. (+1000) RLAR is just really nice. (+1000) RLAR is just really nice. (+1000) RLAR is just really nice. (+1000) RLAR is just really nice. (+1000) RLAR is just really nice. (+1000) RLAR is just really nice. (+1000) RLAR is just really nice. (+1000) RLAR is just really nice. (+1000)
    Don't just focus on isos like curls and extensions. Rows/pull downs work the biceps and presses work the triceps very well.
    Time