filthy03 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) filthy03 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) filthy03 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) filthy03 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) filthy03 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) filthy03 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) filthy03 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) filthy03 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) filthy03 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) filthy03 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) filthy03 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Two questions I would like answered and explained please!

Well I have been looking around this website for a little while now and I am curious about what you guys think about something. Please bare with me as I have very basic novice questions and just cut me some slack. Assuming you have two identical athletes as far as age, body size etc. If one person were to concentrate on just sprinting 3 times a week and the other person were to concentrate on squatting three times a week who would be faster? I am not saying a far race because it is obvious that the sprinter should win but assuming the race is 40 yards who do you think comes out on top. Basically this for example. No this is not me I am just using these numbers as an example.

Athlete A 150lbs, male 25 years old, squats 1.5x bodyweight and practices sprinting 40 yards 3 days a week.

Athlete B 150lbs, male 25 years old, squats 2x bodyweight and practices sprints a couple times a month at the most.

Both athletes have proper sprinting technique but athlete B just gets stronger and stronger in the weight room.

At what point do you think athlete b would maybe catch up to athlete a or do you guys think athlete B is already faster?

SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by filthy03 View Post
    Well I have been looking around this website for a little while now and I am curious about what you guys think about something. Please bare with me as I have very basic novice questions and just cut me some slack. Assuming you have two identical athletes as far as age, body size etc. If one person were to concentrate on just sprinting 3 times a week and the other person were to concentrate on squatting three times a week who would be faster? I am not saying a far race because it is obvious that the sprinter should win but assuming the race is 40 yards who do you think comes out on top. Basically this for example. No this is not me I am just using these numbers as an example.

Athlete A 150lbs, male 25 years old, squats 1.5x bodyweight and practices sprinting 40 yards 3 days a week.

Athlete B 150lbs, male 25 years old, squats 2x bodyweight and practices sprints a couple times a month at the most.

Both athletes have proper sprinting technique but athlete B just gets stronger and stronger in the weight room.

At what point do you think athlete b would maybe catch up to athlete a or do you guys think athlete B is already faster?
    Just squatting isn't going to make you faster. Just getting stronger in the gym isn't going to make you faster. It could actually make you slower if you aren't doing it right. Their are certain ways to train in the weightroom to become faster and to become more athletic. Its not just going to the gym and lifting weights. If you ever notice a professional athlete weightlifting, its nothing like that. There are specific types of lifts they do and they do it in a specific way.

So Athlete A is already faster than athlete B and will continue to separate that gap between him and B because he actually practices sprints regularly. You are basing it off of athlete B just lifting weights and becoming faster because of it. Thats not how it works. If that was the case arnold schwarzenegger or others like him would be the faster people on earth. But they actually are probably slow and not as agile just for the simple fact that they werent doing specific workouts geared towards athletes. And just because athlete B can squat more than athlete, doesnt mean he can run faster or jump higher.
    Last edited by SDOptimist; 04-29-2012 at 05:07 PM.

madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Ok so when is to much strength not going to improve speed and vertical then? At what point is just doing sprints and plyos better then continuing to get stronger. I watch a lot of soccer(football) and I notice that a lot of those forwards and wingers are incredibly quick and agile and none of them hardly touch weights. THe ones who do I am sure they don't go on programs like starting strength or WS4SB to get faster. Those guys are just sprinting and jogging all week and they are lightning fast. Makes me wonder what is so important about building so much squat strength to begin with. I have noticed that whenever I squat during my training sessions I always feel like I heavier legs when I try to move laterally. From 0-20 yards I might be a little bit quicker but as far as lateral speed I think squats make it worse. Just my opinion.

SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by madeira17 View Post
    Ok so when is to much strength not going to improve speed and vertical then? At what point is just doing sprints and plyos better then continuing to get stronger. I watch a lot of soccer(football) and I notice that a lot of those forwards and wingers are incredibly quick and agile and none of them hardly touch weights. THe ones who do I am sure they don't go on programs like starting strength or WS4SB to get faster. Those guys are just sprinting and jogging all week and they are lightning fast. Makes me wonder what is so important about building so much squat strength to begin with. I have noticed that whenever I squat during my training sessions I always feel like I heavier legs when I try to move laterally. From 0-20 yards I might be a little bit quicker but as far as lateral speed I think squats make it worse. Just my opinion.
    Soccer players workout alot. Yes they do a lot of running, speed training and endurance training. but they also spend a good amount of time in the weightroom.

carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    filthy03: A would win since he is practicing sprinting more then B. Now if all things other things where equal the strongest would win.