Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

How's my squat technique looking 163kg x5

This is 90% of my 180kg PR squat 6 weeks ago, looks like a pretty smooth grind. The first one was a bit off because I just realised I had to control the weight a bit better and my reps after the first seemed much more controlled and a good bounce and hip drive.

I'll go for 166kg, 169kg x5 before a deload week and a meet. Currently doing texas method. I'll be going for 185-190kg squat.

IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Your knees pull back as soon as you start out of the hole. This is causing your butt to go back instead of up. It is diluting your hip drive. This is caused by you trying to stay too vertical in the hole. As soon as you get out, your body adjusts by assuming the back angle you should be using the entire time.

I can't tell, but it looks like your right wrist is bent. I'd try to fix that mostly because it can cause tendonitis issues.

The rest looks pretty good.
    www.PowerliftingToWin.com

arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yea, I was gonna say what's going on with your hands/elbows? It is hard to tell from that angle. I've tried thumbless grip before and even with 315 lbs I was tipping forward out of the hole like you are. I feel best out of the hole using a normal grip and pulling down on the bar as hard as I can. Have you tried wrapping your thumbs around the bar before? Also, have you tried bringing your grip in before?
    1372 @ 205
    USAPL Senior International Coach & IPF Cat II Referee
    Squats & Science Head Coach
    http://squatsandscience.com/sscoaching/

Boynton Barbell Center:
    http://boyntonbarbellcenter.com/

YouTube Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ariandbz

Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by IzzyT View Post
    Your knees pull back as soon as you start out of the hole. This is causing your butt to go back instead of up. It is diluting your hip drive. This is caused by you trying to stay too vertical in the hole. As soon as you get out, your body adjusts by assuming the back angle you should be using the entire time.

I can't tell, but it looks like your right wrist is bent. I'd try to fix that mostly because it can cause tendonitis issues.

The rest looks pretty good.
    So are you saying I should stick my hips back further to prevent my knees travelling forward in the first place or keep them forward when I am ascending from the hole?

What are your thoughts on this one?

I usually keep my wrists neutral with thumbs on top but it looks like they bent back on that set.

Originally Posted by arian11 View Post
    Yea, I was gonna say what's going on with your hands/elbows? It is hard to tell from that angle. I've tried thumbless grip before and even with 315 lbs I was tipping forward out of the hole like you are. I feel best out of the hole using a normal grip and pulling down on the bar as hard as I can. Have you tried wrapping your thumbs around the bar before? Also, have you tried bringing your grip in before?
    My grip is as close in as my flexibility allows, middle finger on the ring any closer and my shoulders get uncomfortably locked up. I have once tried having my thumbs around the bar when a powerlifter said it was in the rules but I stooped because my wrists hurt from being bent back. Never had a problem with thumbs on top except when I was using a squat suit, once I gave that up I haven't had any elbow/wrist pain.

IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    That rep doesn't exhibit the same problem. In that rep, you have a slight looseness in the bottom that causes a little forward movement of the knees. This is also causing you to get a little deeper than you need to be and taking some lbs off of your squat. It is very subtle.

That said, the hip drive is better here and you can see that there isn't the same problem of the butt going straight back. Think about staying with your hips and driving "UP" and not "back". Again, think about driving your butt straight up.
    www.PowerliftingToWin.com

Originally Posted by IzzyT View Post
    That rep doesn't exhibit the same problem. In that rep, you have a slight looseness in the bottom that causes a little forward movement of the knees. This is also causing you to get a little deeper than you need to be and taking some lbs off of your squat. It is very subtle.

That said, the hip drive is better here and you can see that there isn't the same problem of the butt going straight back. Think about staying with your hips and driving "UP" and not "back". Again, think about driving your butt straight up.
    I thought the same thing, I was particularly deep on that one and when I was squatting on Friday I was trying to prevent my knees from travelling forward and getting too deep which was making 151kg 3x5 unnecessarily difficult on Monday.

I'll think about that on that next time I squat.