Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    cturcott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cturcott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cturcott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cturcott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cturcott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cturcott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cturcott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cturcott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cturcott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cturcott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cturcott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

What are the best Olympic plates, and why?

For use on a 50mm bar doing heavy bench, squat, deadlift.

Rubber? Interlocking plates? No frills? What brand, what type?

Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Srs answer. Ones that you will use and not collect dust.. Its easy to get caught up in the hype of brands, looks etc. Look back into the '70's-'80's. Weights are weights unless you compete.
    ▪██─────██▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #3 ▪██─────██▪

○---○ [[[[-----]]]] York Barbell Crew #52 [[[[-----]]]] ○---○
    ( DD Crew, Globes, Kg's, + )

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #45 ▪█─────█▪

~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

cturcott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cturcott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cturcott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cturcott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cturcott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cturcott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cturcott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cturcott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cturcott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cturcott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cturcott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've lifted seriously in the gym, but am looking to set up a top notch home gym but in the process I'm learning about different bar types, 50mm vs 2", and want to be sure I don't wind up getting 500lb+ plates that don't fit on one of the 50mm high end bars because I mistakenly bought the wrong Olympic plates. I don't have the bars yet, but am figuring between a Texas power bar and an okie deadlift bar I'll be set.

heraclittus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heraclittus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heraclittus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heraclittus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heraclittus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heraclittus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heraclittus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heraclittus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heraclittus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heraclittus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heraclittus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by cturcott View Post
    I've lifted seriously in the gym, but am looking to set up a top notch home gym but in the process I'm learning about different bar types, 50mm vs 2", and want to be sure I don't wind up getting 500lb+ plates that don't fit on one of the 50mm high end bars because I mistakenly bought the wrong Olympic plates. I don't have the bars yet, but am figuring between a Texas power bar and an okie deadlift bar I'll be set.
    http ://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=135725561

dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Generally Speaking - Cheap plates will fit on a Quality bar, but Quality plates may not fit on a Cheap bar. Having said that, Cheap plates will fit loosely on a Quality bar, whereas Quality plates will fit nicely on a Quality bar. Ivanko has some of the tightest tolerances and are the only plates that I'm aware of people having problems not fitting on other bars.

My preference for benching and squatting are high end grip plates (Ivanko, Cemco, Intek, etc.) or vintage deep dish plates (Ivanko and York). I prefer metal plates, but I'm sure for every person that prefers metal there is one that prefers rubber or urethane. Although you don't need bumper plates for deadlifting, I prefer them. I have Pendlay Elite bumpers, which I would describe as some of the cheapest high end bumpers. Some of the higher end bumpers are Ivanko, Eleiko, Werksan, etc.

The main difference between cheap plates and quality plates are accuracy and tighter and more consistent hole tolerances.
    Last edited by dumb.bell; 04-24-2012 at 08:43 PM.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #39 ▪█─────█▪

▪█─────█▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #2 ▪█─────█▪

▪[[[[────]]]]▪ York Barbell Club #93 (DD) ▪[[[[────]]]]▪

▪[M]====[6]▪ Mech6 Crew #10 ▪[M]====[6]▪

186lbs in Avatar

Ivanko will fit on a Texas power bar, and okie deadlift bar though, right?

Everyone seems to be talking about Ivanko and York. Before I pull the trigger, are these top quality plates at the best price?

Christian fitness factory:

York Int'lBarbell 455 lb Olympic Weight Set

The one and only York! 455 lb Olympic Set.
    York Barbell
    145300-455

Price: $541.99
    Product Weight:*455*lbs

$224 shipping

thatguyheis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thatguyheis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thatguyheis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thatguyheis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thatguyheis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thatguyheis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thatguyheis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thatguyheis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thatguyheis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thatguyheis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thatguyheis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The York international plates aren't very good imo. York Legacy or vintage plates are what you want.
    Some of my international plates are off by 5%+. Sleeve hole diameter is quite huge, 53-54mm on the 45s; worse on the smaller plates, which aren't even bored, just cast. They're rough/jagged in some parts from the casting. Paint job was crap also, drip lines visible, and left black residue on my hands the first 6mo of using them.

Plates like this aren't worth the asking price with the more premium stuff costing just a bit more.

twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Ivanko will fit on a Texas power bar, and okie deadlift bar though, right?
    They should fit on TPB's, York, Rogue, Pendlay, and of course Ivanko bars and also some other bars not mentioned.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do, than by the ones you did" Mark Twain

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats" H. L. Mencken

[]---[] Equipment Crew #42 []---[] ()---() York Barbell Club #18 ()---()

Home gym 'til I die. ProtienandIron's Avatar
    ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Northernmoris View Post
    Srs answer. Ones that you will use and not collect dust.. Its easy to get caught up in the hype of brands, looks etc. Look back into the '70's-'80's. Weights are weights unless you compete.
    +1 on this.
    My training log:
    ---------------
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153596291&p=1062453741#post1062453741

[]---[] Equipment Crew #43 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #1 -!!!---!!!-
    ()---() York Barbell Club #4 ()---()

If Ivanko is the brand that only makes good quality plates as it appears (no intl. line or similar), where would you go to buy them?

Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    http://www.gtechfitness.com/cast-iro...ts.aspx?page=2

They are popular with the guys here.

~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000)
    Anything you get just make sure you've got the handles in them, it helps out a lot.
    ---------------------------------------
    "Fast is not fast enough, strong is not strong enough."
    ----------------------------------------

ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by jamesovercome View Post
    Anything you get just make sure you've got the handles in them, it helps out a lot.
    Completly dissagree with this. Many plates with handles (especially cheaper plates) have been known to break. If someone struggles holding a normal 45 plate just because it hasnt got handles, then I suggest they get to work on a gripper.
    My training log:
    ---------------
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153596291&p=1062453741#post1062453741

AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ProtienandIron View Post
    If someone struggles holding a normal 45 plate just because it hasnt got handles, then I suggest they get to work on a gripper.
    ROTFLMAO. And get a pair too. . . .

Might as well ask, who's hotter, Ginger or Mary Ann? (Some of you will miss this reference.) On a fundamental level, weight is weight. It doesn't matter who made it or what it's made of. You can get strong from lifting concrete plates just the same as lifting iron plates, just the same as lifting rubber bumpers. Beyond weight, you might be interested in consistency (accuracy, precision) and quality in the weights and ergonomic features. You may also be interested in aesthetic features. Or you may be interested in purpose-built weights (e.g., bumpers). Then you have to factor in how much you can afford.

The "best" new plates in the world are probably Ivanko and Eleiko. In that order, in my opinion. I doubt you're going to buy these. You need to ask yourself, what are you looking for, what do you need, and what can you afford.
    You need a good rack, a bench, and a 300-lb Olympic weight set. Now, what was your question?

My home gym: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1465291461&viewfull=1#post1465291461.

()---() York Barbell Club #1 (DD, RH, Kg) ()---() []---[] Equipment Crew #36 []---[] []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #51 []---[] [M]===[6] Mech6 Crew #29 [M]===[6] ~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000)

It's all personal preference. I have a thing for milled plates. Some people like vintage US iron, some people want pristine Chrome plated super calibrated 5 dollar per pound plates! Ultimately, it comes down to what you can afford, and personal tastes. If you want quieter plates, get rubber coated or bumper. If all you need is iron, and you don't want to hunt down decent plates in the used market, you have many options; Ivanko, York Legacy, Eleiko, Intek, Troy... the list goes on.
    Availability and shipping costs factor into the decision when buying new as well. Depending on how much you are looking to acquire and spend, you'll probably want to contact a sales rep directly and get quotes. Personally, I'd hunt the used market first. If you have the means to travel and pick up, you can probably find a decent deal using Search Tempest. Looking around for gym auctions is another way to get professional grade equipment at much lower prices.
    ()---() York Barbell Club #5 ()---()
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #10 -!!!---!!!-

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
    Winston Churchill

Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.
    Mahatma Gandhi

swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Completly dissagree with this. Many plates with handles (especially cheaper plates) have been known to break. If someone struggles holding a normal 45 plate just because it hasnt got handles, then I suggest they get to work on a gripper.
    I think it depends on how much space you have. My home gym is tight on space - having handles on a 45 lb plate makes it a lot easier to grab and put where I want it. If you have a lot of room, it's probably not an issue.
    STAND TALL AND SHAKE THE HEAVENS!!

"Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own." - 1 Corinthians 6:19

▪█─-─█▪ Equipment Crew #71 ▪█─-─█▪
    []---[] York Barbell Club #32 []---[]
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #66 []---[]
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #6 ||---||

jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000)
    ...how does a plate break? If you lift with proper form, don't slam the plates down the cheapest plate at Wal-Mart isn't even going to break. They might rust easier, have a looser feel but they're not breaking. Also, Its not about "struggling", I have 45lb plates with handles and without and the ones with them are just easier to change in/out.

just make sure you've got the handles
    @swimmer; Each to there own with handles, but the above quote makes it sound compulsory or common practice. If the OP is planning on heavy deadlifting (OP quoted he has lifted seriously), I would recommend otherwise due to the weak handles in many plates excluding Ivankos and the like.
    Last edited by ProtienandIron; 04-25-2012 at 08:41 AM.
    My training log:
    ---------------

ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Jacksons are nice....
    Attached Images

...how does a plate break? If you lift with proper form, don't slam the plates down the cheapest plate at Wal-Mart isn't even going to break. They might rust easier, have a looser feel but they're not breaking. Also, Its not about "struggling", I have 45lb plates with handles and without and the ones with them are just easier to change in/out.
    I have seen photos of broken handles on forums in the past. They do break. I have even had a 20kg plate snapped in half in the post. Cast iron is not indistructable, its brittle and can break easier then you think. This is compounded by the cheap quality casts that are being mass produced in China right now. As for technique, if you are deadlifting heavy then the plates are going to hit the floor hard.
    My training log:
    ---------------

Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I've seen plenty of broken plates, but I've never actually seen a broken grip plate.

That said, I don't like the look of grip plates.
    Boomer Rep Crew #1
    []---[] Equipment Crew #37 []---[]
    ()---() York Barbell Club #3 ()---()

"You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit."
    -Wendler

I have seen photos of broken handles on forums in the past. They do break. I have even had a 20kg plate snapped in half in the post. Cast iron is not indistructable, its brittle and can break easier then you think. This is compounded by the cheap quality casts that are being mass produced in China right now. As for technique, if you are deadlifting heavy then the plates are going to hit the floor hard.
    This. I have also come across threads with pics of a handle snapping.

~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Cleveland33 View Post
    That said, I don't like the look of grip plates.
    I'm with you brother, and I also like plates black, but that's just my preference.

[QUOTE=ProtienandIron;872177221] Cast iron is not indistructable, its brittle and can break easier then you think. [QUOTE]

This is the truth, I used to break up old cast iron boilers to get them out of basements. One well placed hit with a hammer and a 250lb. boiler shatters. Not breaks, but "shatters" into a hundred pcs.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do, than by the ones you did" Mark Twain

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats" H. L. Mencken

[]---[] Equipment Crew #42 []---[] ()---() York Barbell Club #18 ()---()

Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000)
    Troy plates are made with a pretty tight fit as well. The rubber coating is nice for less noise.

Just make sure they're round. I remember using 12 sided or something plates at a 24 hour fitness and it was a little annoying setting up for deadlifts. The whole point of that shape is so they don't roll around, but that's really not a concern if the floor is reasonably flat and you don't go leaning plates up against equipment.
    www.tworepcave.com
    Black Friday deals page updated daily through Nov 2022

Hi-Temp bumpers anyone as a better option than cast iron? I kind of want to keep my irons for rack usage and the bumpers for dead lifts and cleans, not to purposely drop but just in case :-)

thatguyheis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thatguyheis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thatguyheis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thatguyheis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thatguyheis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thatguyheis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thatguyheis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thatguyheis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thatguyheis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thatguyheis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thatguyheis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi-Temp bumpers anyone as a better option than cast iron? I kind of want to keep my irons for rack usage and the bumpers for dead lifts and cleans, not to purposely drop but just in case :-)
    Hi-temps are incredibly thick, I don't think even 405lbs would fit on my bar.

The Rogue training bumpers are only $30 more per pair, and you could fit 6-7 on the bar I think. I wouldn't buy bumpers just for deadlifts but I was considering them as my main plates for everything.. until someone pointed out rubber doesn't last forever. I want to buy something for life.
    Last edited by thatguyheis; 04-25-2012 at 10:07 AM.

trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by thatguyheis View Post
    Hi-temps are incredibly thick, I don't think even 405lbs would fit on my bar.

The Rogue training bumpers are only $30 more per pair, and you could fit 6-7 on the bar I think. I wouldn't buy bumpers just for deadlifts but I was considering them as my main plates for everything.. until someone pointed out rubber doesn't last forever. I want to buy something for life.
    The Hi-Temps are very thick, even by bumper plate standard. However, you can fit more than 405lbs on the bar if you get the Gorilla 65lb plates. Rogue website says you can fit 4 of these on each side of the bar without collar (8 plates total) for a total of 565lbs. These plates are pretty expensive though ($210 for a pair without shipping). A couple other things to consider with Hi-Temps: smaller diameter (may not work well when mix with other plates), and high bounce (possible problem with drops from shoulder and above).

AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by dumb.bell View Post
    The main difference . . . . [is] tighter and more consistent hole tolerances.
    And, afterall, aren't we all looking for tighter and more consistent hole tolerances?

Originally Posted by Vermonter View Post
    Jeebus, that's sexy. That hole tolerance may not be tight, but those milling marks are hot!
    You need a good rack, a bench, and a 300-lb Olympic weight set. Now, what was your question?

My home gym: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1465291461&viewfull=1#post1465291461.

()---() York Barbell Club #1 (DD, RH, Kg) ()---() []---[] Equipment Crew #36 []---[] []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #51 []---[] [M]===[6] Mech6 Crew #29 [M]===[6] ~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

playaj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) playaj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) playaj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) playaj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) playaj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) playaj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) playaj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) playaj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) playaj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) playaj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) playaj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    my Iron Grip Urethane plates are fantastic. LA fitness uses them in all of their Atlanta gyms.