sam88welborn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Training peaks..

I'm am looking for some professional opinion on training peaks. I am currently enrolled in the s&s program and have been actively doing other studies on the subject. I am a active mixed martial artist and help teach at a local gym. You hear alot of talk around the Mma and boxing world about reaching peaks where performance is maximal but I have trouble finding any solid information about it. Am just looking for opinions on the subject and if it really exsist, I can understand that mentally training to much can get exhausting and overwhelming at certain points but feel that disregarding the Mental aspect with the proper nutrition , training , and dedication the body could train at it's maximum potential without peaks or dumps in performance. Any information or opinions will be greatly appreciated .

hcshao has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hcshao has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by sam88welborn View Post
    I'm am looking for some professional opinion on training peaks. I am currently enrolled in the s&s program and have been actively doing other studies on the subject. I am a active mixed martial artist and help teach at a local gym. You hear alot of talk around the Mma and boxing world about reaching peaks where performance is maximal but I have trouble finding any solid information about it. Am just looking for opinions on the subject and if it really exsist, I can understand that mentally training to much can get exhausting and overwhelming at certain points but feel that disregarding the Mental aspect with the proper nutrition , training , and dedication the body could train at it's maximum potential without peaks or dumps in performance. Any information or opinions will be greatly appreciated .
    I'm not a professional, but I've used it for running and triathlons as a hobby. You can use it for weights as well but I haven't used it on trainingpeaks.

It uses the concept of impulse-response model. What this means, the body will react to the stress it receives, and it would adapt to get stronger for that stress. These "stress" are sometimes called doses. The modeling looks like -> dose of stress -> fatigue -> adaption -> super compensation from adaption (now stronger).

The time it takes for adaption depends on the individual, it could vary between next day to several weeks depending on the history/training load/stress/person. For instance, running takes about 4 days for me to metabolically become adapted, lifting something like 3 days, and swimming about 9 days. Depends on the load. You can figure this out by some test performances. However, life stress can make these performance manager software a bit hazy.

Trainingpeaks, makes an assumption of these constants for the general population. It might not be right for you. It also needs some sort of data to measure these "doses of stress". Probably a heart rate monitor. However, because it is a training diary of some sort, you would be able figure out if so so amount of training load a week is too much, you can see it on a chart and not "repeat it"

Having said that, I do not know how you would apply it martial arts, however. You might be better off using an excel program.

You can look at the primer here: home.trainingpeaks.com/articles/cycling/the-science-of-the-performance-manager.aspx

PS. I hope this was somewhat helpful.