kspicer88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Spartan Race Training Ideas

Yo Y'All,
    I'm currently in prep for training for my first ever spartan race which is is the beast, sure you've heard of it if your into intense obstacle races but if not google it, it won't let me add the link here?
    Obviously a high portion of it is CV fitness which I have as I have been a xc and track cyclist but I REALLY need to build up my strength for the body weight exercises such as climbing the ropes and the straight walls etc. If anyone knows any good diets or workouts which could help or have done the spartan and know what worked for them please let me know.
    I have 7 months to train
    Cheers

hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    To take on a Spartan Race be prepared to run over rolling hills scattered with military style obstacles, climb up and over walls and run through mud, fire and water. Create a Spartan Race training program includes running, strength training and race skills to dominate every obstacle along the way.

Run
    Complete at least 2 run workouts per week. Choose from run workouts that include a long run, hill sprints, intervals and tempo runs.

Strength
    Get ready to move your bodyweight over, under, around or through obstacles. Bodyweight exercises such as push-ups and pull-ups can be used to create a foundation of strength. Next, kettlebell swings and explosive movements like jump squats, burpees, and box jumps will help improve balance and leg strength.

Race Skills
    Combine strength and cardio training into one hybrid workout. When possible, workout outdoors or run on trails in a similar setting as the race. To train the skills that will help during the race pair running intervals or sled pushes with bodyweight or kettlebell exercises. If you are able to get your hands on oversized tires or weighted sandbags, this would be the time to flip, carry, or throw them around.

Try this workout:

Warm-up:
    2-4 Rounds
    5x Alternate Lung (each Leg)
    10x BW Squat
    5x Lateral Lunge (each leg)

5 minutes of easy Jog and dynamic movements: High-knees, Butt-kicks, Bounding, Reverse Run, etc.

Training:
    Run @ 400m
    25x KB Swing
    Run @ 400m
    Tire Flip @ 25 yards
    Run @ 400m
    25x KB Thruster
    Run @ 400m
    50x Push-up

Repeat 3-5 times, and then cool down.

check out www{dot}racedaydomination{dot}com or email me joe@hybridathlete.org for more obstacle race training tips
    Joe Vennare
    Hybrid Athlete

www.racedaydomination.com
    www.thehybridathlete.com
    www.kettlebellcardio.org

Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Sounds like Marine Corps bootcamp to me, without DIs smoking you and live fire.
    OG