Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    vikb has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vikb has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vikb has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vikb has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vikb has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vikb has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vikb has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vikb has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Unhappy i feel too weak. P90x too hard. I trash in 10 mins

OK, So I am just above 30 years of age.. i remember 10 years ago I was much healthier. I could do 20 push ups if ever a friend challenged me. Although I never have taken working out seriously before.

My goals are not to become a bodybuilder, or get 6 pack abs, nor do I want to stop eating all the creamy foods that I eat on the weekends. I just want to feel fit. I want to be able to run 5 miles if needed, I want to be able to save someone falling from a cliff, things like that. So I just want solid strength (do 150 lbs of barbell curl) for 5 mins, and stamina to be able to run if a disastor hits.

In terms of looks, i would certainly desire a bigger chest and arms more than any other section of the body.

My body right now sux. I test myself yesterday and failed after 2 push ups. I can't do even 1 chin-up and weigh nearly 178 lbs at 5'10" frame.

So, I purchased P90x and thought of trying it. Reason being that I have joined Gyms at least 10 times in my life, and it gets so frustrating to go there. Between every set, I have to wait 10 mins easy to find the machine because it is so jam packed. Be it an excuse or whatever, I just can't think of joining a gym anymore and want to do it all at my home.

So yesterday I started the first day of P90x and I failed after 30 mins and couldn't move a minute. It was supposed to be a 90 minute workout yesterday to workout the chest, back and abs. I didn't even get to the abs portion. Warm up itself was for 15 mins and that itself was super hard. And the next 15 mins totally killed me.

Today, I started off with plyometrics which is working out the legs, and I failed in 10 mins. My heart was pumping so fast, I could feel it through my ribs, without even touching it with my hand. I am 30+ now, and don't want to get a heart attack.

I feel too embarressed posting this here, but I am clueless on what I should do. Is P90x too hard for me? May be I should resort to those easier faster home-workouts I have seen in the Muscle & Fitness magazines. Those looked OK, but I thought they are more to "maintain fitness levels", not to "become fit from a bum".

I am not taking any supplements yet. I am planning on ordering the ON Gold Standard Whey Proterin to drink few mins before the workout, and Xtend during the workout. But then I'm thinking do I really need to take Xtend? It's not that I am pumping for a competition, why can't I be just natural.

I am not following the P90x nutrition plan because I am vegetarian, plus I will not like pretty much anything that is there. I am just planning on watching what I eat, and not eat burgers, and all that crap.

So anyway, back to my question. What is the right exercise routine? I am thiking of keep trying the P90x and slowly my body endurance will increase. If I feel my heart is going way too fast, just take a break... long enough that it settles down. I can alternatively use those Muscle and Fitness workouts but wonder if they will actually put any dramatic effect on me or not.

Next is about the supplements, what exactly do I "NEED" to eat? I looked at Xtend, even NO Xplode, and felt that they are for bodybuilders. I was thinking of drinking a cup of ON Whey Protein before the workout and thats it.

Just so you know, I am trying to workout in the mornings, and a heavy pre-workout meal is not really an option. I have a busy lifestyle and have only 20 minutes to digest anything before I start the workout.
    Last edited by vikb; 04-24-2012 at 09:17 AM. Reason: clarified the nutrition plan

sfalcon1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sfalcon1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sfalcon1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sfalcon1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sfalcon1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sfalcon1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sfalcon1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sfalcon1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sfalcon1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sfalcon1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sfalcon1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Are you listening to Tony? "Modify - Modify - Modify" "Do your best and forget the rest" Only do what you can, then walk around until you can continue, BUT do the whole workout. Also, get a good PWO. It helps. You will be amazed at how many push-ups you can do after completed it a few times.

Edit: I like C4 as my PWO.

vikb has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vikb has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vikb has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vikb has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vikb has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vikb has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vikb has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vikb has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by sfalcon1 View Post
    Are you listening to Tony? "Modify - Modify - Modify" "Do your best and forget the rest" Only do what you can, then walk around until you can continue, BUT do the whole workout. Also, get a good PWO. It helps. You will be amazed at how many push-ups you can do after completed it a few times.
    Thanks a lot.. yeah he keeps saying check your pace. But i gotta get done with it so I can then go to work.
    What is PWO?

sfalcon1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sfalcon1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sfalcon1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sfalcon1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sfalcon1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sfalcon1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sfalcon1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sfalcon1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sfalcon1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sfalcon1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sfalcon1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I modified my post... C4 gets me through the p90x workouts. You have to try different ones and see what stimulants work for you. ON Amino fuel is just beta-alanine and caffeine and isn't that bad.

Originally Posted by sfalcon1 View Post
    I modified my post... C4 gets me through the p90x workouts. You have to try different ones and see what stimulants work for you. ON Amino fuel is just beta-alanine and caffeine and isn't that bad.
    Should I stick to the brand? I heard ON Whey Gold Standard is the best. So that goes my Whey, now coz of that should I get ON Amino Fuel? Or it doesn't matter and I can go with C4, or NO Xplode?

Also, I looked at C4 description and it says that you have to determine the tolerance. What is the meaning of "determine tolerance"? Does it mean see how many push ups you can do? Or does it mean that make sure you are still alive 30 mins after taking it, and that your body was able to handle it?

dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    you don't need stims, you're just untrained (out of shape)

take it slow and work your way through whatever program you choose

I wouldn't neglect any particular part of the body in an effort to gain mass in another (don't work chest and arms and neglect legs, shoulders, etc)

you've got to whip your entire body into shape
    Goals:

1.5 bw Bench
    2.0+ bw Squat
    2.5 bw Deadlift
    Gain 20 lbs

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    After a long layoff from being active, you can't just jump into high rep work. Just like you can't just walk to the squat rack and do twenty reps with three plates(315lbs). It takes a lot of time and hard work before you even start becoming awesome at anything.

Do you walk everyday? Do you walk fast? Do you do lots of sets of half your rep max for the pushups. That is the recommended way to progress for stuff like chins, dips, pushups, bodyweight squats. If you go to the max at the beginning, you tend to stall almost immediately, and lose heart.

Being vegetarian is ok. But it means you have no creatine in your diet, even if you eat dairy and eggs. So cheap creatine monohydrate should be very beneficial. A kilo will last over six months at 5 grams a day. You don't need to load up at all.

The best protein/weight-gainer supplement is milk. A spoon or two of real live plain yogurt daily will help you digest a lot of milk. You can build up tolerance a glass at a time until you are consuming a large glass with every meal.

The best erogenic supplement before a workout is good ol' coffee. Seriously.

Multivits, high strength vitamin C, multi minerals, fish oils, zinc and magnesium are not scams.

Virtually all heavily hyped supps in the muscle mags are scams. And the mags are really just supplement catalogs anyway. If I drag out muscle mags from years ago, there are a plethora of weird supplements that are not sold at all now. That is because they never worked, tho' they might have cost sixty bucks a month just for one. That money would be better spent on real food, and on a 300lb barbell set, squat stands, builders trestles(portable power racks for safe benching and squatting), bomb proof bench. All that stuff is cheap secondhand.

A commercial gym is the most expensive option long term. Many of them are not places where people come to get big and strong.

But there are real gyms out there. They are places where you use chalk. Power racks, deadlifting/Olympic weightlifting platforms are there. You can drop power cleans or snatches without alarming the little old ladies(both male and female) on the treadmills. You can grunt when you pull a PR deadlift.

Such a gym might be someone's garage, and free.

If you want to build balanced muscle, All Pro's is about the best program out there for you, if.......

......you run if for the next year at least(10 cycles), and eat enough to keep the gains in muscle and strength for reps coming as long as possible.

You only go to a more advanced program like 5 3 1 when you are too damn strong and muscular to gain any more from a program like All Pro's.

If you are serious about this, unlike the majority who piss around with the latest fad they read in muscle mags, then you will build up strength and muscle over the next FEW YEARS. You can't just go from the empty bar(45lbs) to four plates(405lbs) for reps for a big exercise like squat or dead, and put on a ton of muscle, in six or twelve weeks on some fad "program".

Lift well and prosper.
    Beginners:

FIERCE 5:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631

Beyond novice, 5 3 1 or see above:)

Unless it is obvious to anyone who isn't blind that you lift weights, you might still benefit from a little more attention to big basic barbell exercises for enough reps:).

Originally Posted by jgreystoke View Post
    Being vegetarian is ok. But it means you have no creatine in your diet, even if you eat dairy and eggs. So cheap creatine monohydrate should be very beneficial. A kilo will last over six months at 5 grams a day. You don't need to load up at all.

The best protein/weight-gainer supplement is milk. A spoon or two of real live plain yogurt daily will help you digest a lot of milk. You can build up tolerance a glass at a time until you are consuming a large glass with every meal.

The best erogenic supplement before a workout is good ol' coffee. Seriously.

Multivits, high strength vitamin C, multi minerals, fish oils, zinc and magnesium are not scams.
    Thanks so much. Well, I am vegetarian and can NOT eat eggs, or even fish. I drink 1 cup milk though and eat yogurt, almost daily so I'll triple the milk as you said. But someone said that I need to eat as many grams of protein as my body weight. That would mean 177g. How much of that is really true? That is hard to do with natural foods.

Some people are saying I should get NO2, not just Creatine. If you say Creatine mono-hydrate is OK, where do I get this from? Is there a natural Veg food I can eat for it for it? If not, then what do I eat?

Oh, also I'm eating the Universal Animal Pack for Vits

Again, thanks so much everyone for helping me out.

Yea, you don't need stims and coffee can substitute but it helps.

To answer your question on tolerance of PWO - yes to the "if you are still alive 30 mins" or if your shaking and tingling too much. If your going this route(stims) read the ingredients and google the ones you don't know.

There are vegan protein sources available such as hemp and fermented brown rice proteins.

Negncic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Negncic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Negncic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Negncic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Negncic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Negncic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Negncic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Negncic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Negncic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Negncic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Negncic will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Try P90. It was the first released of the series. Not as difficult. Much better for those that are not in shape where p90x(extreme) is for those already in shape looking to get into better shape.

gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm sorry but no sympathy from me. I am 45 and I workout 5 days a week. I did P90X a couple of years ago when I was 30 lbs heavier and completely out of shape. Was it difficult? you bet. At the time I could only do 10 pushpus in a row and one pull up. But I had a goal and made it through. I cleaned up my diet, tried to keep up with Tony, and I got really fit and dropped 25 lbs. Now I can do 15-20 pullups in a row and I am significantly stronger.

I remember my first week doing P90X. It was hell. I almost quit after my first Plyometrics. But I didn't and I am thankful for that. I am healthier, look better, feel better. The first 2 weeks of P90X are hard but then your body gets used to it.

People want to look good and be fit but want to achieve that in one week, with very little effort, and not changing their diet. Sorry, doesn't work that way. You need sacrifice and preserverance.

One thing I will tell you, though, is that it becomes easier with time. I don't crave bad foods anymore, I am used to working out and it feels weird when I don't. I have bad foods on ocassion but they have very little effect in me and they way I look. Moderation is the key.

man o man, that motivates me... i better not give up this time.. thank you.

gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    One more thing: if you don't follow the P90X diet is fine, but if you keep on eating crap or don't change your diet, expect very little results. With any fitness program diet is at least 50%. You don't have to follow the P90X diet (I didn't) but you have to clean it up. Get rid of sodas, beer, fried foods, white bread. Eat better and you will see results and will feel better. And in a few weeks you won't crave that crap anymore. One thing that happens with P90X is that it takes so much effort that when you start seeing results you don't want to screw it up. I remember after Plyometrics I would see Ice Cream at home and I would think - "I just spent 60 minutes busting my balls burning calories. Why would I eat this stuff and pretty much kill all that?" That was a great motivator.

Originally Posted by gerryh777 View Post
    One more thing: if you don't follow the P90X diet is fine, but if you keep on eating crap or don't change your diet, expect very little results. With any fitness program diet is at least 50%. You don't have to follow the P90X diet (I didn't) but you have to clean it up. Get rid of sodas, beer, fried foods, white bread. Eat better and you will see results and will feel better. And in a few weeks you won't crave that crap anymore. One thing that happens with P90X is that it takes so much effort that when you start seeing results you don't want to screw it up. I remember after Plyometrics I would see Ice Cream at home and I would think - "I just spent 60 minutes busting my balls burning calories. Why would I eat this stuff and pretty much kill all that?" That was a great motivator.
    Its funny you say that coz last night my wife was eating ice cream sitting next to me, and I said no I don't want it.

Messed up part is that when I did plyometrics today in the morning, I died after 10 minutes.

DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    It's all about progression

Day1: 30 Min
    Day2: 32 Min
    etc.

That's all you can ask for from your body. It's going to fight you and try to get you to quit, but you need to continue on. The body likes the status quo, it doesnt like change or stress. And that is what exercise is, stress. Since the body doesnt like this stress it will change to be able to handle said stress next time it comes around. This is exactly what you want. I would try to come up with more concrete goals then "just get into shape". That is to vague. The more detailed the goal the better. I would set short, medium, and long term goals. And make them attainable, but not overly easy. Would also write them down, when you actually write stuff down it solidifies that goal even more in your brain. You will get out of it what you put in. If you dont want to track your calories, then don't be surprised if your unable to shed all the body fat you want. For some people following a diet isnt worth it. Just have to decide what you want. Whatever you do, dont give up.
    My Workout Log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146169983&pagenumber=

"It is while struggling against the heaviest weights a human body can move that the demand for courage is incessant."
    -Mike Mentzer

jensantos16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Vikb, I am in the same boat with you. I am 33 y/o, 189lbs, 5'7" tall - I just started P90X yesterday. Although I am able to take on the program for more than 10mins., my max was about 30-40mins and that's really pushing it. I'd say don't give up now, you just started and can't expect your body to adapt right away. Just do what you can - if a portion of the exercise calls for 8 mins, do half of it only until you are totally comfortable.

Originally Posted by jensantos16 View Post
    Vikb, I am in the same boat with you. I am 33 y/o, 189lbs, 5'7" tall - I just started P90X yesterday. Although I am able to take on the program for more than 10mins., my max was about 30-40mins and that's really pushing it. I'd say don't give up now, you just started and can't expect your body to adapt right away. Just do what you can - if a portion of the exercise calls for 8 mins, do half of it only until you are totally comfortable.
    that is very encouraging. Thank you!!

It is perfectly normal not to be able to finish the workouts (especially Plyometrics) the first couple of times you do it. If you stay with it you'll be surprised that by week 4 or 5 you will be finishing it fine. For Plyo instead of doing 30 seconds try doing only 20 seconds, or 15. But push yourself. That will allow you to have more rest between exercises, finish the whole thing, and give you a sense of accomplishment

hannah7733 is just really nice. (+1000) hannah7733 is just really nice. (+1000) hannah7733 is just really nice. (+1000) hannah7733 is just really nice. (+1000) hannah7733 is just really nice. (+1000) hannah7733 is just really nice. (+1000) hannah7733 is just really nice. (+1000) hannah7733 is just really nice. (+1000) hannah7733 is just really nice. (+1000) hannah7733 is just really nice. (+1000) hannah7733 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Like the other guys said, you dont need to follow the P90X diet but you DO need to eat healthy. Do a little research on macros and stuff, Im vegan and I can get everything I need. You can ease into a diet if you think thatll help you stick to it but in the end you need your nutrition to fit with your program whether its P90X or whatever you do.
    P90X is a great program especially when youre getting started you just need to stick with it. Plyometrics is the hardest cardio workout on there so being shattered after 10 minutes on your first go doesnt matter, just break and continue until you get through it. Youll find youre fitness will get alot better as you go through. I didnt follow the program how its set out I just used the workouts in my own split and saw great progress but its not all about the program. If you dont push yourself to your limit you wont see the results you want. If youre not willing to push though the pain then to be honest theres really no point in trying. If you want it that bad and you need to spend an hour longer on each workout then thats what youll have to do, just get up an hour earlier.
    I probably sound really harsh but to succeed in achieving your goals, whatever they are, you need to want it more than anything and be willing to give 100% to get there because without that drive its likely youll give up in 2 weeks or whatever.
    Anyway good luck and I hope you carry it on because you will enjoy it once you get into it

dustin158 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dustin158 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dustin158 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dustin158 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dustin158 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dustin158 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dustin158 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dustin158 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dustin158 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dustin158 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dustin158 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    When I was thinking about trying P90X I was reading the books that come with it and in there it said if you are unhealthy and out of shape you should first do an easier program like Power 90 to start. I'm only 27, I'm 5'11" but I was 238lbs...So I listened to what they said and started with the power 90...I still had a very hard time at first but stuck with it and was eating healthy. I did power 90 for 8 weeks and lost 32lbs. Now I'm 203lbs and feeling great, so i started P90X. I'm on my second week of P90X and I'm still having a very very hard time, But I know not to give up because I've seen amazing results already...When i first started I could only do 5 push ups, 1 pull up. Now I can do 20 decline push ups and 10 pull ups. It's amazing how fast you will see the difference.

Its well worth it and keep with it. Like stated before, look up power 90 and start with that. Good Luck!!!

Deftone007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deftone007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deftone007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deftone007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deftone007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deftone007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deftone007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deftone007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deftone007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deftone007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deftone007 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Push the pause button. Collect yourself and finish. If you cant do it all atleast write it down. It might take you much more time to complete it at first.

NateEvans79 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NateEvans79 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NateEvans79 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NateEvans79 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NateEvans79 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NateEvans79 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NateEvans79 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NateEvans79 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NateEvans79 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NateEvans79 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NateEvans79 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I started out with P90X about 2 years ago, and 70 lbs heavier. I could do one pull up, and about 8 pushups. Modify Modify, and keep pushing play every day. if you have to take a break, pause it, and get back at it as soon as you can. Soon you will be pausing less, then not at all, then not even modifying. Is it hard, heck yeah it is. But is it worth it? Heck yeah it is!! I'm 32 now, and it the best shape of my life!! Keep it up man! You will get there if you want it bad enough.
    No matter who you are, no matter what you do,
    you absolutely, positively do have the power to change.
    – Bill Phillips

www.NateandNicoleFitness.com

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Thanks so much. Well, I am vegetarian and can NOT eat eggs, or even fish.
    Of course you can eat eggs. The yolk contains healthy natural saturated fats that will help you make test. Also sulphur that is good for healthy ligaments, cartilage, connective tissue. Not to mention the egg is a good source of essential aminos.

I drink 1 cup milk though and eat yogurt, almost daily so I'll triple the milk as you said.
    Good start. You might get your hand on pint glasses, if you are only going to have three per diem.

But someone said that I need to eat as many grams of protein as my body weight. That would mean 177g. How much of that is really true? That is hard to do with natural foods.
    A gram of protein per pound of bodyweight is a good rule for anyone serious about muscle and strength. It is easy to do with natural foods. Meat, fish, eggs, milk. Harder for vegetarians, since they sabotage their gains by eliminating most of the best sources. Also natural saturated animal fats are the best raw material for making good hormones like test.

Some people are saying I should get NO2, not just Creatine. If you say Creatine mono-hydrate is OK, where do I get this from? Is there a natural Veg food I can eat for it for it? If not, then what do I eat?
    I do not recommend the latest fads, almost invariably scams.

The reason that your ancestors were able to dominate and survive against much bigger more powerful predators, is that they were smart enough to became apex predators themselves, in spite of physical limitations.

There is NO creatine in any plant food. That is why vegetarians get a real boost of power if they take creatine mono, OR if they start eating meat. The meat option is even better, since the healthy saturated fats will help them make a lot more test......

Red meat is even better again, since the extra iron and zinc is a bonus. And the zinc helps you make even more test.....

Shellfish is also very high in zinc. So if you give any credit to the Aquatic Ape Theory, eating periwinkles on the seashore is one way that our ancestors became more alpha.
    Beginners:

FIERCE 5:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631

Beyond novice, 5 3 1 or see above:)

Unless it is obvious to anyone who isn't blind that you lift weights, you might still benefit from a little more attention to big basic barbell exercises for enough reps:).

north06 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile Do Your Best, Forget the Rest

I have had P90X for about two years now and have started and stopped for a variety of reasons over that time frame. My approach now has been do to what I can each time but try to improve slightly so I make progress. Unless you are in amazing condition - strength, cardio, flexibility, mental - the first time you do it the program will be difficult. A heart rate monitor can certainly insure that you are not blowing out your max target rate (see a doctor to get medical clearance if you have any reason to doubt your heelth). Now I am using it to condition my body to do it as indicated, sort of like a prerequisite exercise program. You will get stronger as you go along so you have to have faith and believe that your body will adapt (trust me, it will).

OK, So I am just above 30 years of age.. i remember 10 years ago I was much healthier. I could do 20 push ups if ever a friend challenged me. Although I never have taken working out seriously before.

My goals are not to become a bodybuilder, or get 6 pack abs, nor do I want to stop eating all the creamy foods that I eat on the weekends. I just want to feel fit. I want to be able to run 5 miles if needed, I want to be able to save someone falling from a cliff, things like that. So I just want solid strength (do 150 lbs of barbell curl) for 5 mins, and stamina to be able to run if a disastor hits.

In terms of looks, i would certainly desire a bigger chest and arms more than any other section of the body.

My body right now sux. I test myself yesterday and failed after 2 push ups. I can't do even 1 chin-up and weigh nearly 178 lbs at 5'10" frame.

So, I purchased P90x and thought of trying it. Reason being that I have joined Gyms at least 10 times in my life, and it gets so frustrating to go there. Between every set, I have to wait 10 mins easy to find the machine because it is so jam packed. Be it an excuse or whatever, I just can't think of joining a gym anymore and want to do it all at my home.

So yesterday I started the first day of P90x and I failed after 30 mins and couldn't move a minute. It was supposed to be a 90 minute workout yesterday to workout the chest, back and abs. I didn't even get to the abs portion. Warm up itself was for 15 mins and that itself was super hard. And the next 15 mins totally killed me.

Today, I started off with plyometrics which is working out the legs, and I failed in 10 mins. My heart was pumping so fast, I could feel it through my ribs, without even touching it with my hand. I am 30+ now, and don't want to get a heart attack.

I feel too embarressed posting this here, but I am clueless on what I should do. Is P90x too hard for me? May be I should resort to those easier faster home-workouts I have seen in the Muscle & Fitness magazines. Those looked OK, but I thought they are more to "maintain fitness levels", not to "become fit from a bum".

I am not taking any supplements yet. I am planning on ordering the ON Gold Standard Whey Proterin to drink few mins before the workout, and Xtend during the workout. But then I'm thinking do I really need to take Xtend? It's not that I am pumping for a competition, why can't I be just natural.

I am not following the P90x nutrition plan because I am vegetarian, plus I will not like pretty much anything that is there. I am just planning on watching what I eat, and not eat burgers, and all that crap.

So anyway, back to my question. What is the right exercise routine? I am thiking of keep trying the P90x and slowly my body endurance will increase. If I feel my heart is going way too fast, just take a break... long enough that it settles down. I can alternatively use those Muscle and Fitness workouts but wonder if they will actually put any dramatic effect on me or not.

Next is about the supplements, what exactly do I "NEED" to eat? I looked at Xtend, even NO Xplode, and felt that they are for bodybuilders. I was thinking of drinking a cup of ON Whey Protein before the workout and thats it.

Just so you know, I am trying to workout in the mornings, and a heavy pre-workout meal is not really an option. I have a busy lifestyle and have only 20 minutes to digest anything before I start the workout.
    "The critical ingredient is getting off your butt and doing something. It's as simple as that. A lot of people have ideas, but there are few who decide to do something about them. Not tomorrow. Not next week. But today..." Nolan Bushnell

"Success is a journey not a destination" Ben Sweetland

"Champions aren't made in the gym. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision" Muhammad Ali

I did it for a week, and then i quit.. got sooo damn bz with work.. then a wedding came in the family that took sooo much of my time and i was away from home for 2 weeks.. Ever since the weeding ended, its been a month and i've been freakin sick... freakin hate it.

danamerican will become famous soon enough. (+50) danamerican will become famous soon enough. (+50) danamerican will become famous soon enough. (+50) danamerican will become famous soon enough. (+50) danamerican will become famous soon enough. (+50) danamerican will become famous soon enough. (+50) danamerican will become famous soon enough. (+50) danamerican will become famous soon enough. (+50) danamerican will become famous soon enough. (+50) danamerican will become famous soon enough. (+50) danamerican will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    you should not be eating crap food whether you want to be a bodybuilder or not. the easy thing to do is try things and go in and out of routines. where people struggle is transforming into a healthy lifetstlye. first, get your diet in check. that will provide you with all the energy you need. if you are working out, 177g of protein a day. stop eating junk food. why are you a vegetarian/eating organics if you dont wanna be healthy? that makes no sense. cut the junk food.

second, push your as* through the workouts. anyone can write a 90 minute workout, but its hard to do anything intensely for that long. force yourself. unless you fear injury, keep pushing. you dont wanna be fat and out of shape, so dont let yourself be. its simple, you build muscle by working out. you lose weight by consuming less calories than you burn. you feel good by eating well and exercising. its all a numbers game, not too subjective. just make time everyday to workout and stick to it.
    B/S/D
    390/575/660
    The challenge is the diet. The lifting is all done in your head. Physically resist temptation; mentally, don't let yourself fail.

How Bad Do You Want It? P90XVeteran's Avatar
    P90XVeteran is a jewel in the rough. (+500) P90XVeteran is a jewel in the rough. (+500) P90XVeteran is a jewel in the rough. (+500) P90XVeteran is a jewel in the rough. (+500) P90XVeteran is a jewel in the rough. (+500) P90XVeteran is a jewel in the rough. (+500) P90XVeteran is a jewel in the rough. (+500) P90XVeteran is a jewel in the rough. (+500) P90XVeteran is a jewel in the rough. (+500) P90XVeteran is a jewel in the rough. (+500) P90XVeteran is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by gerryh777 View Post
    I'm sorry but no sympathy from me. I am 45 and I workout 5 days a week. I did P90X a couple of years ago when I was 30 lbs heavier and completely out of shape. Was it difficult? you bet. At the time I could only do 10 pushpus in a row and one pull up. But I had a goal and made it through. I cleaned up my diet, tried to keep up with Tony, and I got really fit and dropped 25 lbs. Now I can do 15-20 pullups in a row and I am significantly stronger.

I remember my first week doing P90X. It was hell. I almost quit after my first Plyometrics. But I didn't and I am thankful for that. I am healthier, look better, feel better. The first 2 weeks of P90X are hard but then your body gets used to it.

People want to look good and be fit but want to achieve that in one week, with very little effort, and not changing their diet. Sorry, doesn't work that way. You need sacrifice and preserverance.

One thing I will tell you, though, is that it becomes easier with time. I don't crave bad foods anymore, I am used to working out and it feels weird when I don't. I have bad foods on ocassion but they have very little effect in me and they way I look. Moderation is the key.
    Defiinitely! Couldn't agree more! I remember when I could do 2 pull ups! 2!!! lol

OP, you definitely need to change the way you eat! Work hard man! if you want it bad enough, you'll do it!

How Bad Do You Want It? P90XVeteran's Avatar
    P90XVeteran is a jewel in the rough. (+500) P90XVeteran is a jewel in the rough. (+500) P90XVeteran is a jewel in the rough. (+500) P90XVeteran is a jewel in the rough. (+500) P90XVeteran is a jewel in the rough. (+500) P90XVeteran is a jewel in the rough. (+500) P90XVeteran is a jewel in the rough. (+500) P90XVeteran is a jewel in the rough. (+500) P90XVeteran is a jewel in the rough. (+500) P90XVeteran is a jewel in the rough. (+500) P90XVeteran is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by NateEvans79 View Post
    I started out with P90X about 2 years ago, and 70 lbs heavier. I could do one pull up, and about 8 pushups. Modify Modify, and keep pushing play every day. if you have to take a break, pause it, and get back at it as soon as you can. Soon you will be pausing less, then not at all, then not even modifying. Is it hard, heck yeah it is. But is it worth it? Heck yeah it is!! I'm 32 now, and it the best shape of my life!! Keep it up man! You will get there if you want it bad enough.
    WOW, you're in PHENOMENAL SHAPE! Great results man!

It's ALWAYS good to see a fellow Beachbody program user! My goal is to get SHREDDED like you, damn! Inspiration right there..

Strength Enthusiast Retardo-pex's Avatar
    Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Thanks so much. Well, I am vegetarian and can NOT eat eggs, or even fish. I drink 1 cup milk though and eat yogurt, almost daily so I'll triple the milk as you said. But someone said that I need to eat as many grams of protein as my body weight. That would mean 177g. How much of that is really true? That is hard to do with natural foods.

Oh, also I'm eating the Universal Animal Pack for Vits

Again, thanks so much everyone for helping me out.
    Its not hard to do with natural foods, only if you make the choice to not eat meat. Why are you even looking at ANY supplements right now wheny uo can't do 2 pushups? It doesn't go : out of shape + supplements + work= dream shape. Eat sleep train repeat. Progress whenever you can. If you can do 4 pushups 2 weeks form now, you are moving up. You really just need to make some lifestyle changes and become more active overall it seems, as your body doesn't simply dry up and turn to **** the minute you hit 30 years old Take it slow, but strive to progress. If you can only do half the sets or time p90 x recommends for you, do what you can and simply run it again after the intital 90 days.

You are looking to far into the whole situation when the fact is you are just simply undertrained and out of shape. Jog a lap aorund your neighborhood. next week jog 2 laps, or try to do one lap faster, pick a routine, ANY routine and start light, hit your target sets and reps with whatever weight you can handle, and try to do more the next time. Its not called working out because you can just jump into it and excell, you need to work hard for it.

chango888 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chango888 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chango888 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chango888 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    just keep at it, you will break through that wall

think positive and the end result

all you can eat pink tacos... :P