Registered User placentalprevia's Avatar
    placentalprevia is just really nice. (+1000) placentalprevia is just really nice. (+1000) placentalprevia is just really nice. (+1000) placentalprevia is just really nice. (+1000) placentalprevia is just really nice. (+1000) placentalprevia is just really nice. (+1000) placentalprevia is just really nice. (+1000) placentalprevia is just really nice. (+1000) placentalprevia is just really nice. (+1000) placentalprevia is just really nice. (+1000) placentalprevia is just really nice. (+1000)

Question Am I beginner or intermediate

Im looking for new workout programs but honestly I'm sure of what level i am myself. I used to lift all the time, had hernia, and just started lifting again in october maybe. It was lighter then I did Kris Gethin's 12 week hardcore trainer. My squat strength is much higher than my bodyweight my bench is probably only 50lbs higher.

my go currently is strength and size. Do i do a beginner program like starting strength or all pro or look for something with more frequency?

how are workouts based on periodization? I'm just trying to figure things out

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Based on your stats, you should be able to make fairly rapid progress. Take advantage of that by using a good basic beginner program, such as this one:
    *Routine: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    At your height and weight, I'd say you are highly likely to be novice...

Bench Press Latest Update: Jan 30, 2012 88.2kg
    Squats Latest Update: Jan 31, 2012 134.6kg
    Deadlift Latest Update: N/A
    Bicep Curl Latest Update: N/A
    Barbell Rows Latest Update: Jan 30, 2012 69.1kg
    Overhead Press Latest Update: Jan 30, 2012 62.3kg

No deadlift? Shame because it's probably one of the most reliable indicators...

You could probably still make novice progression.

placentalprevia is just really nice. (+1000) placentalprevia is just really nice. (+1000) placentalprevia is just really nice. (+1000) placentalprevia is just really nice. (+1000) placentalprevia is just really nice. (+1000) placentalprevia is just really nice. (+1000) placentalprevia is just really nice. (+1000) placentalprevia is just really nice. (+1000) placentalprevia is just really nice. (+1000) placentalprevia is just really nice. (+1000) placentalprevia is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    Based on your stats, you should be able to make fairly rapid progress. Take advantage of that by using a good basic beginner program, such as this one:
    *Routine: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843
    thanks, thats one of the ones i have been looking into it

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    At your height and weight, I'd say you are highly likely to be novice...

Bench Press Latest Update: Jan 30, 2012 88.2kg
    Squats Latest Update: Jan 31, 2012 134.6kg
    Deadlift Latest Update: N/A
    Bicep Curl Latest Update: N/A
    Barbell Rows Latest Update: Jan 30, 2012 69.1kg
    Overhead Press Latest Update: Jan 30, 2012 62.3kg

No deadlift? Shame because it's probably one of the most reliable indicators...

You could probably still make novice progression.
    i stopped recording my workouts on the site. only my weight and BF. i record my workouts on my iPhone apps. there wasn't much deadlifting in kris gethins workout or any of the big classic barbell exercises. but i did drop 30lbs and 10%BF in 10 weeks on it

Lifting to Avoid COVID-19 PeterGibbons316's Avatar
    PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Give us some actual numbers on your lifts.

Are you really benching 205 @ 155 lbs? If so, that is probably pretty close to intermediate. What is your squat? Deadlift? Overhead Press?

Is your primary goal to increase strength?
    My Journal (RIP 05/11 - 09/13):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134256491

DIY Plyo Boxes:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151765733

Originally Posted by PeterGibbons316 View Post
    Give us some actual numbers on your lifts.

Are you really benching 205 @ 155 lbs? If so, that is probably pretty close to intermediate. What is your squat? Deadlift? Overhead Press?

Is your primary goal to increase strength?
    i'll give what i have done recently.

dumbbell bench press: 75lb dumbbells x 8 reps
    barbell bent over rows- 135lbs x 7
    Leg press 225lbs x 60 reps

Im still trying to go through the log in my app to find applicable examples of strength. Towards the of kris gethins plan it was a lot of supersets, giant sets, and DTP ( supersets set up like this 50, 40, 30, 20, 10, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50). those had me so exhausted, not sure if i was lifting near my max

if i had to guess my bench is probably still near 195lbs - 200lbs if i did it rested

davidbrogdon1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davidbrogdon1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davidbrogdon1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davidbrogdon1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davidbrogdon1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davidbrogdon1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davidbrogdon1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davidbrogdon1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davidbrogdon1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davidbrogdon1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davidbrogdon1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Man dont listen to that crap. Being a beginner or novice has nothing to do with how much weight you are moving. You think Hidetada and Jay lift the same? but they are on the same stage arent they. The truth is, only you know if you are beginner or novice. Are you ready to start dividing bodyparts and doing specialized training? I doubt it at 6ft. 155 lbs, but its possible. IMO you can never go wrong with a solid well balanced beginners program. Even pros will resort back to basics from time to time to keep their muscles from plateau. I still use some of the same routines from when i started, and they still are producing gains. If something works well, stick with it as long as it is working. Ride that beginner horse until it dies on you.

dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by davidbrogdon1 View Post
    You think Hidetada and Jay lift the same? but they are on the same stage arent they.
    Horrible analogy

The truth is, only you know if you are beginner or novice.
    This isn't true. Novice lifters are defined as those that can continue to make at least weekly progress (adding more weight to the bar)

I agree that how much you lift doesn't determine experience level and neither does how many years/months you've been training.
    Goals:

1.5 bw Bench
    2.0+ bw Squat
    2.5 bw Deadlift
    Gain 20 lbs

ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Man dont listen to that crap. Being a beginner or novice has nothing to do with how much weight you are moving. You think Hidetada and Jay lift the same? but they are on the same stage arent they. The truth is, only you know if you are beginner or novice. Are you ready to start dividing bodyparts and doing specialized training? I doubt it at 6ft. 155 lbs, but its possible. IMO you can never go wrong with a solid well balanced beginners program. Even pros will resort back to basics from time to time to keep their muscles from plateau. I still use some of the same routines from when i started, and they still are producing gains. If something works well, stick with it as long as it is working. Ride that beginner horse until it dies on you.
    Right on.

This section seems to be hell bent on lumping people into categories. Never really understood it myself, nor do I agree with the use of arbitrary numbers on various lifts to use as the primary gauge of one's experience.
    Who was this love of yours?

davidbrogdon1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davidbrogdon1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davidbrogdon1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davidbrogdon1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davidbrogdon1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davidbrogdon1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davidbrogdon1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davidbrogdon1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davidbrogdon1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davidbrogdon1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davidbrogdon1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by dday39 View Post
    Horrible analogy

This isn't true. Novice lifters are defined as those that can continue to make at least weekly progress (adding more weight to the bar)

I agree that how much you lift doesn't determine experience level and neither does how many years/months you've been training.

It seems like a horrible analogy i know. but it illustrates my point perfectly. They are not even close to the same size, and obviously dont lift close to the same amount of weight, but they are both pros. everyone always wants to group you by the numbers on your lifts, but a guy that is 5'5" is not going to lift as heavy as a guy that is 6'4" even if they are identical fitness wise. In contrast, a very experienced small framed guy might not lift as heavy as a large framed noob. It's just foolishness to say "if you squat 300 you are a professional. " its just not true.

and as far as adding weight every week. If the pros had been adding 5 lbs a week to their lifts the entire 20 years they've been pros, they would be lifting 6000 lbs man. think about it. sometimes you will gain strength (i.e. adding weight) and sometimes you will be stuck at a weight for a while and have to tweak it some other way. that IS bodybuilding and even the best of the best experience it.

dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    It seems like a horrible analogy i know. but it illustrates my point perfectly. They are not even close to the same size, and obviously dont lift close to the same amount of weight, but they are both pros. everyone always wants to group you by the numbers on your lifts, but a guy that is 5'5" is not going to lift as heavy as a guy that is 6'4" even if they are identical fitness wise. In contrast, a very experienced small framed guy might not lift as heavy as a large framed noob. It's just foolishness to say "if you squat 300 you are a professional. " its just not true.

and as far as adding weight every week. If the pros had been adding 5 lbs a week to their lifts the entire 20 years they've been pros, they would be lifting 6000 lbs man. think about it. sometimes you will gain strength (i.e. adding weight) and sometimes you will be stuck at a weight for a while and have to tweak it some other way. that IS bodybuilding and even the best of the best experience it.
    I think you're missing the point.

There comes a time when a lifter can no longer progress weekly. At that point, the lifter needs to re-evaluate because they are at an intermediate level.

Experience and elite athletes are an entirely different animal and comparing them is pointless, especially when trying to inform a novice lifter

Beginner/novice lifters have it easy in terms of measuring progress. As one moves up the ranks, gains are slow and progress is harder to measure (in a traditional sense)
    Goals:

1.5 bw Bench
    2.0+ bw Squat
    2.5 bw Deadlift
    Gain 20 lbs

well i have been doing a split and more advanced training for the past two months since the workout called for it and I'm used to lifting 4-5 days a week now. Kind of worried 3 times a week wouldn't feel like enough

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    A novice can follow novice progression and an intermediate cannot. It's that simple.

Using lifts as a guide might give an indication but nobody really knows until they actually try a beginner progression... Sure you can always find exceptions - really big guys who can bench 300 first time they try it and tiny guys who will never bench 300 but there is nothing wrong with using rules of thumb for average folks to try to help them out.

Lifting to Avoid COVID-19 PeterGibbons316's Avatar
    PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by placentalprevia View Post
    well i have been doing a split and more advanced training for the past two months since the workout called for it and I'm used to lifting 4-5 days a week now. Kind of worried 3 times a week wouldn't feel like enough
    Sometimes less is more. If you can recover with only 1 day of rest and then do a full body workout again, then you should be doing it - your progress will be much faster.
    My Journal (RIP 05/11 - 09/13):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134256491

DIY Plyo Boxes:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151765733

so what would be better in people's opinions for me?

Starting strength, practical programming, all pro beginner, mad cow 5x5 intermediate, strong lifts 5x5, all pro intermediate

keep in mind i have been training constantly for 4 months doing splits to get back in shape after a while off