ammons is on a distinguished road. (+10) ammons is on a distinguished road. (+10) ammons is on a distinguished road. (+10) ammons is on a distinguished road. (+10) ammons is on a distinguished road. (+10) ammons is on a distinguished road. (+10) ammons is on a distinguished road. (+10) ammons is on a distinguished road. (+10) ammons is on a distinguished road. (+10) ammons is on a distinguished road. (+10) ammons is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Push/Pull/Legs split for lean muscle gains

I'm 20 and have been lifting for almost 2 years, done mainly the 3x5 thing but recently turned on to push/pull. Have lots of experience with the big lifts and tend to center my workouts around those.

With the push pull legs program what I'm looking for is a good 4-5-day split that will grow lean muscle. Basically here's the schedule I want: PUSH/PULL/OFF/LEGS/OFF/REPEAT.

At the risk of sounding cliche, I want to put more emphasis on biceps/tricep isolation since I feel like my chest is naturally inclined to take over more, and therefore perhaps overcompensate, leaving bis/tris not as strong as they should be.

So if you have time to critique this push pull legs split I'd really appreciate it.

Pull A
    Warm up with 5 min run/ 10 warm up pull ups
    (4x6-8) Wide Grip Pullups
    (4x6-8) Close Grip Cable Row
    (4x6-8) Lat Pulldowns
    (3x12/10/8) DB Bicep Curl
    (3x12/10/8) DB Concentration Curl
    Weighted Leg Lifts - 3 x 10-15
    Stretching

Push A
    Warm up with 5 min run/ 1x15 bench low weight
    (4x5) Bench
    (4x5) Standing Military
    (3x12/10/8) Sitting Dumbbell Tricep Extension SUPERSET WITH
    (3x12/10/8) Dumbbell Lateral Raises
    (3xfailure) Close Grip Pushups
    Weighted decline Sit ups - 3 x 10-15
    Stretching

Legs A
    Warm up 5 min run/ 1x15 squats low weight
    (4x5) Squats
    (3x6-8) Straight-leg Deadlift
    (3x6-8) BB Lunges
    (3x8-10) Standing calf raises
    Leg lifts or Sit ups
    Stretching

ammons is on a distinguished road. (+10) ammons is on a distinguished road. (+10) ammons is on a distinguished road. (+10) ammons is on a distinguished road. (+10) ammons is on a distinguished road. (+10) ammons is on a distinguished road. (+10) ammons is on a distinguished road. (+10) ammons is on a distinguished road. (+10) ammons is on a distinguished road. (+10) ammons is on a distinguished road. (+10) ammons is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by ammons View Post
    I'm 20 and have been lifting for almost 2 years, done mainly the 3x5 thing but recently turned on to push/pull. Have lots of experience with the big lifts and tend to center my workouts around those.

With the push pull legs program what I'm looking for is a good 4-5-day split that will grow lean muscle. Basically here's the schedule I want: PUSH/PULL/OFF/LEGS/OFF/REPEAT.

At the risk of sounding cliche, I want to put more emphasis on biceps/tricep isolation since I feel like my chest is naturally inclined to take over more, and therefore perhaps overcompensate, leaving bis/tris not as strong as they should be.

So if you have time to critique this push pull legs split I'd really appreciate it.

Pull A
    (4x6-8) Lat Pulldowns
    Stretching

Push A
    (4x5) Bench
    (4x5) Standing Military
    Stretching

Legs A
    (4x5) Squats
    (3x6-8) BB Lunges
    Leg lifts or Sit ups
    Stretching
    bump

jamnajh is just really nice. (+1000) jamnajh is just really nice. (+1000) jamnajh is just really nice. (+1000) jamnajh is just really nice. (+1000) jamnajh is just really nice. (+1000) jamnajh is just really nice. (+1000) jamnajh is just really nice. (+1000) jamnajh is just really nice. (+1000) jamnajh is just really nice. (+1000) jamnajh is just really nice. (+1000) jamnajh is just really nice. (+1000)
    The workout it's self is fine
    Lean muscle is mostly diet
    So you need to get your diet straight as well.
    Any memphis sport.

roll tide

Originally Posted by jamnajh View Post
    The workout it's self is fine
    Lean muscle is mostly diet
    So you need to get your diet straight as well.
    Yeah the diet stuff is something I tend to overlook.

gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Your PUSH routine seems light on chest...especially if you are just doing this once a week. I would cut the overhead press to 2 sets, the lateral raises to 2 sets, and add incline
    bench (2-3 sets). And I would do: push, legs, rest, pull, rest, push, legs, rest, pull, rest, etc....

TheFitDick is not very well liked. (-100) TheFitDick is not very well liked. (-100) TheFitDick is not very well liked. (-100) TheFitDick is not very well liked. (-100) TheFitDick is not very well liked. (-100) TheFitDick is not very well liked. (-100) TheFitDick is not very well liked. (-100) TheFitDick is not very well liked. (-100) TheFitDick is not very well liked. (-100) TheFitDick is not very well liked. (-100) TheFitDick is not very well liked. (-100)

Thumbs up I would mix things up

If you want lean muscle mass you need to mix up your routine. You can do the workouts you've shown here but after a month or so your body will adapt to it. I would recommend trying this.

Do a push pull routine daily.

Day 1 - Chest super set with back.
    Day 2 - Legs and abs
    Day 3 - Biceps super set with Triceps
    Day 4 - do cardio
    Day 5 - repeat from day 1

This will shock your body and you will be sore but you will see results. Don't go to the gym and slack off though. Do the super sets with only 15-30 seconds in between sets. Too many people go to the gym and mingle instead of actually pushing there bodies to the limit. And then they wonder why they don't see results.

If you wanna get more in depth info on this download my Body Building Secrets for FREE at bodybuilding.thefitdick.com

Hope this helps - FD

Originally Posted by gerryh777 View Post
    Your PUSH routine seems light on chest...especially if you are just doing this once a week. I would cut the overhead press to 2 sets, the lateral raises to 2 sets, and add incline
    bench (2-3 sets). And I would do: push, legs, rest, pull, rest, push, legs, rest, pull, rest, etc....
    Is it really light on the chest if I'm finishing with 3 sets of pushups? Also, I have a "B" routine where I do Incline Bench and finish with dips.

gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Is it really light on the chest if I'm finishing with 3 sets of pushups? Also, I have a "B" routine where I do Incline Bench and finish with dips.
    I missed the part with the B routine. Then it should be fine.

Nonregistered Nonuser bustermac's Avatar
    bustermac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bustermac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bustermac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bustermac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bustermac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bustermac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bustermac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bustermac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bustermac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bustermac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bustermac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by TheFitDick View Post
    If you want lean muscle mass you need to mix up your routine. You can do the workouts you've shown here but after a month or so your body will adapt to it. I would recommend trying this.

Do a push pull routine daily.

Day 1 - Chest super set with back.
    Day 2 - Legs and abs
    Day 3 - Biceps super set with Triceps
    Day 4 - do cardio
    Day 5 - repeat from day 1

This will shock your body and you will be sore but you will see results. Don't go to the gym and slack off though. Do the super sets with only 15-30 seconds in between sets. Too many people go to the gym and mingle instead of actually pushing there bodies to the limit. And then they wonder why they don't see results.

If you wanna get more in depth info on this download my Body Building Secrets for FREE at bodybuilding.thefitdick.com

Hope this helps - FD
    Great advice from someone with 3 posts and a questionable user name!

aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Pull A
    (4x6-8) Lat Pulldowns
    Stretching

Push A
    (4x5) Bench
    (4x5) Standing Military
    Stretching

Legs A
    (4x5) Squats
    (3x6-8) BB Lunges
    Leg lifts or Sit ups
    Stretching
    Routine looks good, very similar to what I do. If your eating enough, I would try it 2x week and see what happens. I have been running it legs/push/pull/off/repeat for a couple months now.

Originally Posted by aspengc8 View Post
    Routine looks good, very similar to what I do. If your eating enough, I would try it 2x week and see what happens. I have been running it legs/push/pull/off/repeat for a couple months now.
    Yeah I was definitely thinking 2x/week since I don't think good gains can be made at just 1 rotation weekly.

balakidy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) balakidy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) balakidy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) balakidy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) balakidy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) balakidy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) balakidy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) balakidy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) balakidy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) balakidy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) balakidy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by aspengc8 View Post
    Have you been seeing good gains with doing it twice a week?