realized is on a distinguished road. (+10) realized is on a distinguished road. (+10) realized is on a distinguished road. (+10) realized is on a distinguished road. (+10) realized is on a distinguished road. (+10) realized is on a distinguished road. (+10) realized is on a distinguished road. (+10) realized is on a distinguished road. (+10) realized is on a distinguished road. (+10) realized is on a distinguished road. (+10) realized is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Smoking - Lungs and working out... can't do cardio =(

Hello and thank you for reading this.

A quick low down on me.. was almost 290 lbs a couple of weeks ago, changed diet a bit, started going to the gym – down to 277 as of last week.

I have been a chain smoker for some time.. and I stopped smoking almost a month ago (same time I changed my diet and started going back to the gym)

Im in the worst shape of my life, was even worse 4 weeks ago.

4 weeks ago I could walk up an average flight of steps (think a house to get to the 2nd floor) and I would be out of breath, and sweating when im at the top..

Now I can run up a flight up steps 3-5x that and im not sweating at all (ive been doing a lot of leg lifting)...

However, im still completely out of breath. I can’t catch my breath when im at the top…

my bottleneck is my lungs.

Im well aware that ive abused my body, but will it ever return to normal? Is there anything I can do to help my lungs? Is there an Over the counter inhaler I can use till my lungs have healed? Supliments specific to lung healing? Foods? Etc… Its hard getting a cardo workout in when your lungs give out before you break a real sweat…

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by realized; 04-23-2012 at 01:45 PM.

kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I quit in 2009 and every once in a while I still get out of breath going up a flight of stairs but on the upside I can run a mile without keeling over. Go figure!
    You have to train your mind the same way you train your body. You must protect it against the negative and feed it with the positive. Be mindful of what you watch, what you read and who you allow to influence you. Learn to consider your thoughts emotions and actions. Trust your gut face your fears head on and never quit. AJ Roberts

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=143102443

the bigger the better nicoledominique's Avatar
    nicoledominique has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nicoledominique has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nicoledominique has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nicoledominique has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nicoledominique has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nicoledominique has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nicoledominique has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nicoledominique has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nicoledominique has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nicoledominique has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nicoledominique has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I have read that smokers lungs will repair over time, but that is the key - time. Congrats on your progress thus far!

I would just start off slowly - in addition to the weightlifting you are currently doing (you mentioned leg lifting), you can start off doing slow cardio. You can walk on a treadmill at a comfortable speed for as long as your lungs will allow you. As time goes on, you should be able to slowly increase the speed/incline of your walking, as well as the length of your cardio sessions. Your unhealthy habits weren't adopted overnight, so you should understand that reversing these habits won't happen immediately either. Don't focus on breaking a sweat for now - you want to work on your lung strength....little by little, they will heal and begin to get stronger.

As for an inhaler - you would need to talk to your doctor about this type of thing. I wouldn't take anything like that unless prescribed by a health professional.

mrshester is a name known to all. (+5000) mrshester is a name known to all. (+5000) mrshester is a name known to all. (+5000) mrshester is a name known to all. (+5000) mrshester is a name known to all. (+5000) mrshester is a name known to all. (+5000) mrshester is a name known to all. (+5000) mrshester is a name known to all. (+5000) mrshester is a name known to all. (+5000) mrshester is a name known to all. (+5000) mrshester is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I would also recommend practicing some deep breathing as well. Try breathing from your diaphragm as opposed to just filling your lungs with air...does that make sense? It's something that choral singers work on to help them hold notes
    "Do not give away to others what you have not first given away at home." unknown
    "It's never too late to be who you might have been." George Eliot, pen name of Mary Ann Evans

Proud wife and mommy.

Every saint has a past.

realized is on a distinguished road. (+10) realized is on a distinguished road. (+10) realized is on a distinguished road. (+10) realized is on a distinguished road. (+10) realized is on a distinguished road. (+10) realized is on a distinguished road. (+10) realized is on a distinguished road. (+10) realized is on a distinguished road. (+10) realized is on a distinguished road. (+10) realized is on a distinguished road. (+10) realized is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks guys! Yeah i know it’s a long road to recovery (not just my lungs but getting back down to a normal weight etc as well)
    I will stop pressing myself so hard on the stair master and just worry about cycling and walking for now. I will also look into this diaphragm breathing as well!

Hopefully I haven’t passed the point of no return.. im 33 years young and don’t want to feel like im 60 anymore =(

Thanks!

j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I stopped smoking a solid year before I started putting any time into getting into shape and when I started I could still barely breathe after 5 minutes though that was more due to being out of shape than smoking at that point. Take it easy and let your lungs adjust, they'll get there as long as you stay quit.

Every once in a while I get a whiff of smoke and now it almost makes me gag, especially when I'm doing something strenuous like running.
    "When you fall into a pit, you either die or get out."