ten2go has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Quick question about warm up sets and 5x5

Hello all! I haven't posted in awhile but have been lurking lately. I have 2 questions...First, when doing a 5x5 workout and say you are doing squats do you count your warm up squats as part of the 5x5? I've been trying really hard to increase my weights on squats (I think a lot is mental) and my first set I've been doing the bar, then next set 75 lbs, the next 95, next 2 are at 105 (I'm getting there!). Should I instead maybe do a warm up set and then 5x5 at 105?

Second, I saw FREEBIRDMAC post on another thread (and I didn't want to hijack it) that if doing legs 2x a week (which I do) that one should be heavy 5x5 and the other should be hypertrophy (8-10) and not do the same exercises. I don't do the same exercises on both days but are there better exercises for doing 5x5 vs. 8-10?

Day One I do: Squats, Stiff Leg DL, Walking DB lunges, Calf Raises, Leg Ext and seated leg curl.
    Day Two I do: Leg Press (and then calves on the leg press machine), Regular Dead Lifts, Smith Lunges, Plie Squats, Wall Sits (60 secs) and Leg Curls using the "kneeling" machine.

Thanks for any input!

MaliaBot has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MaliaBot has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MaliaBot has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MaliaBot has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MaliaBot has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MaliaBot has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MaliaBot has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MaliaBot has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MaliaBot has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MaliaBot has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MaliaBot has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I don't count my warm ups as part of mu working set. I do take a rest (a minute or two) after warming up so my muscles are ready to give it their all.

As for part 2...I think it depends on how advanced you are. I think beginners are fine doing a standard program. But...don't hold me to it!!!

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Look at the leg routine used for PHAT http://www.simplyshredded.com/mega-f...ated-2011.html

Thanks!

thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ten2go View Post
    Hello all! I haven't posted in awhile but have been lurking lately. I have 2 questions...First, when doing a 5x5 workout and say you are doing squats do you count your warm up squats as part of the 5x5? I've been trying really hard to increase my weights on squats (I think a lot is mental) and my first set I've been doing the bar, then next set 75 lbs, the next 95, next 2 are at 105 (I'm getting there!). Should I instead maybe do a warm up set and then 5x5 at 105?
    Don't count the warmup sets for that stuff for the 5x5. Your warmup looks exactly like mine. But yeah whatever your working weight is atm for your 5x5s, be it 105 or wherever you're starting then do 5 sets of that.
    Current PRs:
    Bench Press: 200x1
    Deads: 315x1
    Back Squats: 275x1

*Team Amazon* - Sisterhood of Iron
    *Log - There's a Ham in the Power Rack, Part II http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167311531

kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by thehobbes View Post
    Don't count the warmup sets for that stuff for the 5x5. Your warmup looks exactly like mine. But yeah whatever your working weight is atm for your 5x5s, be it 105 or wherever you're starting then do 5 sets of that.
    /\/\Agree. Don't count warmup sets.
    You have to train your mind the same way you train your body. You must protect it against the negative and feed it with the positive. Be mindful of what you watch, what you read and who you allow to influence you. Learn to consider your thoughts emotions and actions. Trust your gut face your fears head on and never quit. AJ Roberts

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=143102443

Cvrchak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cvrchak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cvrchak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cvrchak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cvrchak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cvrchak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cvrchak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cvrchak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cvrchak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cvrchak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cvrchak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You got the answer on warm up sets. As for high low rep, I like doing squats and press with heavly weights, low rep, and lunges, rdl and other with lighter wieghts and higer reps. You can do it any way you like it. Mix it in one day or do one day high rep, one day low rep. It depends on how your feel, and how tired are your muscles.

Originally Posted by Cvrchak View Post
    You got the answer on warm up sets. As for high low rep, I like doing squats and press with heavly weights, low rep, and lunges, rdl and other with lighter wieghts and higer reps. You can do it any way you like it. Mix it in one day or do one day high rep, one day low rep. It depends on how your feel, and how tired are your muscles.
    Thanks! I like that idea as I don't like to do Squats and Leg Presses on the same day but want to do both heavy!!

Cvrchak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cvrchak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cvrchak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cvrchak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cvrchak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cvrchak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cvrchak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cvrchak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cvrchak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cvrchak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cvrchak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ten2go View Post
    Thanks! I like that idea as I don't like to do Squats and Leg Presses on the same day but want to do both heavy!!
    Than you can do it on different days. Add some light work in combination. I used to do heavy squats superset with lunges with no weight
    leg press in combination with adductors and similar. Try, and you'll see what you enjoy the most and what works best for you