sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

When you eat may in fact count

But not how it's usually told us, as in "eat 6 meals a day to fuel the metabolism" or "don't eat after 6pm".

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0517131703.htm

Scientists at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies have found that regular eating times and extending the daily fasting period may override the adverse health effects of a high-fat diet and prevent obesity, diabetes and liver disease in mice.
    Panda's team fed two sets of mice, which shared the same genes, gender and age, a diet comprising 60 percent of its calories from fat (like eating potato chips and ice-cream for all your meals). One group of mice could eat whenever they wanted, consuming half their food at night (mice are primarily nocturnal) and nibbling throughout the rest of the day. The other group was restricted to eating for only eight hours every night; in essence, fasting for about 16 hours a day. Two control groups ate a standard diet comprising about 13 percent of calories from fat under similar conditions.
    After 100 days, the mice who ate fatty food frequently throughout the day gained weight and developed high cholesterol, high blood glucose, liver damage and diminished motor control, while the mice in the time-restricted feeding group weighed 28 percent less and showed no adverse health effects despite consuming the same amount of calories from the same fatty food. Further, the time-restricted mice outperformed the ad lib eaters and those on a normal diet when given an exercise test.
    The Salk study found the body stores fat while eating and starts to burn fat and breakdown cholesterol into beneficial bile acids only after a few hours of fasting. When eating frequently, the body continues to make and store fat, ballooning fat cells and liver cells, which can result in liver damage. Under such conditions the liver also continues to make glucose, which raises blood sugar levels. Time-restricted feeding, on the other hand, reduces production of free fat, glucose and cholesterol and makes better use of them. It cuts down fat storage and turns on fat burning mechanisms when the animals undergo daily fasting, thereby keeping the liver cells healthy and reducing overall body fat.
    The daily feeding-fasting cycle activates liver enzymes that breakdown cholesterol into bile acids, spurring the metabolism of brown fat -- a type of "good fat" in our body that converts extra calories to heat. Thus the body literally burns fat during fasting. The liver also shuts down glucose production for several hours, which helps lower blood glucose. The extra glucose that would have ended up in the blood -- high blood sugar is a hallmark of diabetes -- is instead used to build molecules that repair damaged cells and make new DNA. This helps prevent chronic inflammation, which has been implicated in the development of a number of diseases, including heart disease, cancer, stroke and Alzheimer's. Under the time-restricted feeding schedule studied by Panda's lab, such low-grade inflammation was also reduced.
    I know it's a study on mice, but I found it interesting. Many people swear by the intermittent fasting diet, maybe this is why?
    Follow my 2018 competition prep here:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175566421&p=1547462721#post1547462721

michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    It's the LeanGains diet for mice .

I follow LeanGains myself.

One one level it's as simple as calories in but I think following an IF diet and timing calories with exercise as a way of life probably favors better body composition an health in the long run. That is with all else being equal.

acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Study Cliffs: One group of mice had access to food more often, ate more, and gained weight. Intake was restricted by time, not amount.
    Last edited by acrawlingchaos; 05-17-2012 at 09:11 PM.

michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by acrawlingchaos View Post
    Rats / mice metabolize carbs differently than humans, and unfortunately, I doubt this study really correlates well with humans.

Study: Cliffs, One group of mice had access to food more often, ate more, and gained weight.
    Actually, according to that study they ate the same. The one group just had a 16 hour fasting window.

As for humans there are other supposed health benefits besides fat loss. At this point I think fat loss from IF in humans is mostly theoretical but based on sound theories.

Rocky3540 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rocky3540 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rocky3540 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rocky3540 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rocky3540 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rocky3540 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rocky3540 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rocky3540 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rocky3540 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rocky3540 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rocky3540 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I just had a large bowl of fruity pebbles and a couple beers before that. Haha
    As i get older I am realizing i have to get while the gettings good. I can put stats and PR's up here all day long. But, the main concepts with my workouts....
    1. GO BIG OR GO HOME.
    2. FORM IS EVERYTHING
    3. BREATHE.

Enjoying the lamentations Ed_Hitchens's Avatar
    Ed_Hitchens is just really nice. (+1000) Ed_Hitchens is just really nice. (+1000) Ed_Hitchens is just really nice. (+1000) Ed_Hitchens is just really nice. (+1000) Ed_Hitchens is just really nice. (+1000) Ed_Hitchens is just really nice. (+1000) Ed_Hitchens is just really nice. (+1000) Ed_Hitchens is just really nice. (+1000) Ed_Hitchens is just really nice. (+1000) Ed_Hitchens is just really nice. (+1000) Ed_Hitchens is just really nice. (+1000)
    Very intredasting. My wife and I actually started IF this week as an experiment.
    Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now.

Your prayers have been answered. The answer is NO.

Never give up on your dreams. They provide so much joy to your friends and family who laugh about them behind your back.

Remember when you were a kid and dreamed of working in a cubicle all day? Mission accomplished.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by sy2502 View Post
    ...... it's a study on mice....
    Rodents metabolize carbs differently than humans; they're poor study subjects for such issues.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Legbuh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Legbuh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Legbuh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Legbuh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Legbuh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Legbuh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Legbuh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Legbuh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Legbuh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Legbuh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Legbuh will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've been reading about IF too and would love to give it a try... but I remember in college a couple times I'd skip breakfast and go to the gym and end up puking from low blood sugar afterwards. Getting the shakes, tingly hands, dizzy, and puking (mainly water since that's all I'd have in my stomach).

So if I were to IF I would choose to do fast on days I am not exercising, or only exercise (lifting or running) a couple hours after a meal. That dizzy/tingly low BS feeling is scary for sure.

Originally Posted by Ed_Hitchens View Post
    Very intredasting. My wife and I actually started IF this week as an experiment.
    I've found I really love doing LeanGains. I'm combining it with a lose primal/paleo approach. If anything, it just gives me something to hyper focus on. It has been teaching me to eat big and eat carefully.

Once you settle into the IF lifestyle you realize you don't need to eat pre-workout or have x number of little meals per day. If anything there is extra energy when working out fasted. It's all about your overall, long term nutritional intake.

Originally Posted by Legbuh View Post
    I've been reading about IF too and would love to give it a try... but I remember in college a couple times I'd skip breakfast and go to the gym and end up puking from low blood sugar afterwards. Getting the shakes, tingly hands, dizzy, and puking (mainly water since that's all I'd have in my stomach).

So if I were to IF I would choose to do fast on days I am not exercising, or only exercise (lifting or running) a couple hours after a meal. That dizzy/tingly low BS feeling is scary for sure.
    Give it a try. LeanGains is a daily fast of 16 hours with an 8 hour feeding window. Many people have found this to be the easiest pattern and it still gives you the fasting benefit.

Once you get settled into a pattern and make sure your getting your daily macros you'd be surprised by how well you do. One thing that happens is your blood sugar stabilizes so that you don't get those lows and crashes.

Ed_Hitchens is just really nice. (+1000) Ed_Hitchens is just really nice. (+1000) Ed_Hitchens is just really nice. (+1000) Ed_Hitchens is just really nice. (+1000) Ed_Hitchens is just really nice. (+1000) Ed_Hitchens is just really nice. (+1000) Ed_Hitchens is just really nice. (+1000) Ed_Hitchens is just really nice. (+1000) Ed_Hitchens is just really nice. (+1000) Ed_Hitchens is just really nice. (+1000) Ed_Hitchens is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by michail71 View Post
    I've found I really love doing LeanGains. I'm combining it with a lose primal/paleo approach. If anything, it just gives me something to hyper focus on. It has been teaching me to eat big and eat carefully.
    We are also using paleo guidelines as a foundation for our diet. I prefer to say "traditional" diet as the word "paleo" seems to rustle jimmies around here. So on higher carb days we just add in some sweet potato, a bit of starchy vegetables, or an extra serving of fruit.

We find it easier to start the fast around 9PM. Eat the first meal next day around 1PM, another meal at 5PM, hit the gym between 7-8PM, then final meal around 9PM. So far so good, but the first couple of mornings were mentally tough as habits are tough to break, especially ones you've had your entire life. But sipping tea and cold water helps, as does keeping yourself busy.

Never give up on your dreams. They provide so much joy to your friends and family who laugh about them behind your back.

Remember when you were a kid and dreamed of working in a cubicle all day? Mission accomplished.

hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    These studies seem to be looking for excuses to eat poor nutritional food and get away with it.

I have learned six small meals a day works pretty good.

Originally Posted by michail71 View Post
    One thing that happens is your blood sugar stabilizes so that you don't get those lows and crashes.
    Seconded. We probably had an easier time adapting as we've been off processed and refined carbs for a long time now, so no major blood sugar swings.

Originally Posted by hammerfelt View Post
    These studies seem to be looking for excuses to eat poor nutritional food and get away with it.

I have learned six small meals a day works pretty good.
    Not really, that study tries to indirectly say a high fat diet is bad, which we all know it isn't. Perhaps it's bad for mice though. I don't know much about mice nutrition.

m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50) m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50) m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50) m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50) m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50) m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50) m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50) m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50) m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50) m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50) m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Just curious -- did the mice lift?

Originally Posted by Ed_Hitchens View Post
    We are also using paleo guidelines as a foundation for our diet. I prefer to say "traditional" diet as the word "paleo" seems to rustle jimmies around here. So on higher carb days we just add in some sweet potato, a bit of starchy vegetables, or an extra serving of fruit.
    There are people out there that take it to religious like extremes. I just like to follow the science and common sense.

I had cut out HFC and hydrogenated oils long ago and had been making an effort to reduce omega 6 and increase omega 3. Since celiac runs in my family I decided to cut the grains. Eventually I just wound up accidentally following a primal like diet. I'll do rice and potatoes though and have big post workout carb feedings.

acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by m9a1mike View Post
    Just curious -- did the mice lift?
    Yes, of course.

m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50) m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50) m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50) m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50) m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50) m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50) m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50) m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50) m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50) m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50) m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by acrawlingchaos View Post
    Yes, of course.

LOL!

He looks like a powermouse!

JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000)

Carbs immediately prior to a workout have a lot less effect than your overall carb consumption. You can always take one of those diabetic glucose pills that kick start the liver w/o calorie-ing you up or setting you up for a sugar crash.

dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    not just what ya eat but WHEN you eat...

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0517132057.htm
    ▪█───────█▪

Ivanko Barbell Crew Member #6

My Gear:

Lamar Rack w/lat & row setup
    Ironmasters DB's with add on package
    1000 lbs of Ivanko OM Plates
    Ironmaster Super Bench
    Parabody Roman Chair
    Precor 546 Elliptical
    Concept II rower Model D w/PM4

▪█───────█▪

I've had bi-lateral hip replacement.
    Ask me anything about it.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by dnb View Post
    not just what ya eat but WHEN you eat...

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0517132057.htm
    Article based on a study done on mice.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    Article based on a study done on mice.
    are we not men, or are we mice?
    ▪█───────█▪

Ivanko Barbell Crew Member #6

My Gear:

Lamar Rack w/lat & row setup
    Ironmasters DB's with add on package
    1000 lbs of Ivanko OM Plates
    Ironmaster Super Bench
    Parabody Roman Chair
    Precor 546 Elliptical