candiland85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Stubborn Clients

I just wanted some advice on how to deal with clients that simply don't listen. I was assisting someone with weight loss and nutrition tips. They decided to go out and buy like 20 sodium filled complete meals! I explained to her that they were a bad move as far as nutrition was concerned. She argued with me that they were healthy and better than a cheeseburger. And this was said with much attitude. I have a quick temper and an even quicker tounge. I wasn't snappy in response to her statements, I just simply decided not to work with someone that doesn't listen and gets defensive when told right from wrong. How do you deal with clients with nasty attitudes or that are stubborn?

Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by candiland85 View Post
    I just wanted some advice on how to deal with clients that simply don't listen. I was assisting someone with weight loss and nutrition tips. They decided to go out and buy like 20 sodium filled complete meals! I explained to her that they were a bad move as far as nutrition was concerned. She argued with me that they were healthy and better than a cheeseburger. And this was said with much attitude. I have a quick temper and an even quicker tounge. I wasn't snappy in response to her statements, I just simply decided not to work with someone that doesn't listen and gets defensive when told right from wrong. How do you deal with clients with nasty attitudes or that are stubborn?
    Most of the time you have to learn to bite your tongue and just explain that "no, those are not any better than a cheeseburger" and back up your statement with nutritional data. Some people will learn... but most people that back talk to start with will always do it.

You will meet tons of people who are like this while being a PT... These people are insecure and very defensive about their actions (they have to justify because they know they are wrong). I made a policy for myself a long time ago; if a client talks back to me I respond with "I'm the expert here and you are the out of shape one... You came to me for advice and now you disregard it... Either drop the ego or I drop you as a client". Some will shape up, some will drop out. Either way, less headaches all around.
    ~Coach Rick Sterling Tarleton
    USA Weightlifting, USA Track&Field
    CrossFit L-1, ISSA CFT, Pilates
    www.CoachRickSterling.com

lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by candiland85 View Post
    Exactly the way you dealt with it! Don't put up with that sht. You give the directions, not the client.

Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000)
    You need to meet the client half way, take baby steps. You can't throw too much at them all at once. Have said that stubborn clients or complainers get to push the prowler and do burpees.
    A.C.E Certified Personal Trainer
    N.E.S.T.A Fitness Nutrition Coach

HOMER: [holds Lisa's suitcase] Somebody's traveling light.
    LISA: Meh. Maybe you're just getting stronger.
    HOMER: Well, I have been eating more.

Squat:560-Raw 565-wraps
    Bench:365-Raw
    Deadlift:555-Raw
    Front Squat-405x2(Raw) 465x1(Wraps)

ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Mr.ILL View Post
    You need to meet the client half way, take baby steps. You can't throw too much at them all at once. Have said that stubborn clients or complainers get to push the prowler and do burpees.
    Health psychology major checking in. Using exercise as a form punishment is bad for long term adherence.