ohHAAAIII has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Can too much milk be bad for you?

Hi everyone! My first post here.

Last year I got into lifting, and my friend who was training me had me doing the whole Rippetoe thing. Since I started I've gained about 35 pounds or so. When I started he told me to do the GOMAD (gallon of milk a day) thing to make sure my body would have a surplus of calories.

Since then, I've dropped to going through a gallon (whole milk) every two days. I still want to make sure I have enough calories and protein (I also use whey), and I also just really like milk. It's like drinking ice cream.

My goal is honestly just to get as big as possible. I don't mind getting fat, and I have definitely gained more fat than I had before. Right now, I just want to be able to lift more and more.

Anyway, my question is, my friend told me that if you drink too much milk you can get "bone spurs". Is this something I should worry about?

Thank you!

PS: Any other advice is welcome too!

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    2 "is milk bad for you" threads in 1 minute by 2 different people? what the?

Why gain so much fat when it's not needed?
    Yes... I've started a log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159357321

liuzhoudragon is a name known to all. (+5000) liuzhoudragon is a name known to all. (+5000) liuzhoudragon is a name known to all. (+5000) liuzhoudragon is a name known to all. (+5000) liuzhoudragon is a name known to all. (+5000) liuzhoudragon is a name known to all. (+5000) liuzhoudragon is a name known to all. (+5000) liuzhoudragon is a name known to all. (+5000) liuzhoudragon is a name known to all. (+5000) liuzhoudragon is a name known to all. (+5000) liuzhoudragon is a name known to all. (+5000)
    since your title says "too much" milk the answer should be self-evident.

but lets ask what do you mean by "too much" milk. In order to determine what is too much we would need to know your hiegh, weight, goals, etc.

if you are a desk worker who lifts weights 1-2 a week then it is too much.

If you are Jay Cutler in the offseason then no.

For those in the middle it is impossible to tell without information.

guilard is on a distinguished road. (+10) guilard is on a distinguished road. (+10) guilard is on a distinguished road. (+10) guilard is on a distinguished road. (+10) guilard is on a distinguished road. (+10) guilard is on a distinguished road. (+10) guilard is on a distinguished road. (+10) guilard is on a distinguished road. (+10) guilard is on a distinguished road. (+10) guilard is on a distinguished road. (+10) guilard is on a distinguished road. (+10)

kasteanal is not very helpful. (-500) kasteanal is not very helpful. (-500) kasteanal is not very helpful. (-500) kasteanal is not very helpful. (-500) kasteanal is not very helpful. (-500) kasteanal is not very helpful. (-500) kasteanal is not very helpful. (-500) kasteanal is not very helpful. (-500) kasteanal is not very helpful. (-500) kasteanal is not very helpful. (-500) kasteanal is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by guilard View Post
    Why are you reviving this ridiculous thread?
    Bacon is my favorite number in the entire alphabet.

guilard is on a distinguished road. (+10) guilard is on a distinguished road. (+10) guilard is on a distinguished road. (+10) guilard is on a distinguished road. (+10) guilard is on a distinguished road. (+10) guilard is on a distinguished road. (+10) guilard is on a distinguished road. (+10) guilard is on a distinguished road. (+10) guilard is on a distinguished road. (+10) guilard is on a distinguished road. (+10) guilard is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    1) "reviving" doesn't fit at all. The thread was started today.

2) I'm interested in it. I thought that's why forums are there.

3) Why ridiculous? You seem to be extremely knowledgable.
    Maybe you have some thoughts on the article I posted.

nobrah is just really nice. (+1000) nobrah is just really nice. (+1000) nobrah is just really nice. (+1000) nobrah is just really nice. (+1000) nobrah is just really nice. (+1000) nobrah is just really nice. (+1000) nobrah is just really nice. (+1000) nobrah is just really nice. (+1000) nobrah is just really nice. (+1000) nobrah is just really nice. (+1000) nobrah is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ohHAAAIII View Post
    When I started he told me to do the GOMAD (gallon of milk a day) thing to make sure my body would have a surplus of calories.
    I respect what Mark Rippetoe has done in the strength training community, but that GOMAD thing is just stupid. If a little is good, more is not necessarily better. For those who can tolerate it, milk is what I would call a super food, but not in excess. The upper limit of calcium, for example, is about 3,000mg. But a gallon of whole milk will give you over 4,000mg.

Anyway, my question is, my friend told me that if you drink too much milk you can get "bone spurs". Is this something I should worry about?
    For the amount of time you'll be doing GOMAD, you have nothing to worry about in terms of bone spurs. Bone spur risk is a long term potential effect of excess calcium. No, your more direct risk is hypercalcemia and the myriad problems it causes. You can decrease the chances of hypercalcemia and resulting issues by increasing intake of vitamins and minerals that help get excess calcium out of your system, such as vitamin C and magnesium, but keep in mind that even if you increase other vitamins and minerals to handle the drastic increase in calcium, you might enter the range of toxicity for those nutrients.

A much better solution is to drop GOMAD and get your calorie surplus from a balanced diet.

Originally Posted by AlwaysTryin View Post
    2 "is milk bad for you" threads in 1 minute by 2 different people? what the?

Why gain so much fat when it's not needed?
    Several people have told me that if you're serious about gaining weight, you don't do it by having low percent body fat. I'm just trusting people who know more about this than me. It seems reasonable.

Originally Posted by liuzhoudragon View Post
    since your title says "too much" milk the answer should be self-evident.
    Ok, wise guy, you're right. By definition, "too much" is bad for you. I thought it was fairly clear that I was asking more "how much milk is bad for you?".

but lets ask what do you mean by "too much" milk.
    Since then, I've dropped to going through a gallon (whole milk) every two days.
    In order to determine what is too much we would need to know your hiegh, weight, goals, etc.
    My goal is honestly just to get as big as possible. I don't mind getting fat, and I have definitely gained more fat than I had before. Right now, I just want to be able to lift more and more.
    Right now, I'm about 5'10" and 200lbs.

if you are a desk worker who lifts weights 1-2 a week then it is too much.

If you are Jay Cutler in the offseason then no.

For those in the middle it is impossible to tell without information.
    I mostly work at a desk, yeah.

miacanesfan25 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) miacanesfan25 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) miacanesfan25 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) miacanesfan25 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) miacanesfan25 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) miacanesfan25 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) miacanesfan25 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) miacanesfan25 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) miacanesfan25 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) miacanesfan25 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) miacanesfan25 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I mostly work at a desk, yeah.
    In that case you'll have mad cow within days.

Originally Posted by nobrah View Post
    I respect what Mark Rippetoe has done in the strength training community, but that GOMAD thing is just stupid. If a little is good, more is not necessarily better. For those who can tolerate it, milk is what I would call a super food, but not in excess. The upper limit of calcium, for example, is about 3,000mg. But a gallon of whole milk will give you over 4,000mg.

For the amount of time you'll be doing GOMAD, you have nothing to worry about in terms of bone spurs. Bone spur risk is a long term potential effect of excess calcium. No, your more direct risk is hypercalcemia and the myriad problems it causes. You can decrease the chances of hypercalcemia and resulting issues by increasing intake of vitamins and minerals that help get excess calcium out of your system, such as vitamin C and magnesium, but keep in mind that even if you increase other vitamins and minerals to handle the drastic increase in calcium, you might enter the range of toxicity for those nutrients.

A much better solution is to drop GOMAD and get your calorie surplus from a balanced diet.
    Hmm. I probably should get some vitamins. I'm doing half GOMAD right now, HGOMAD I guess. Would I know if I got hypercalcemia?