JMbrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JMbrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JMbrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JMbrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JMbrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JMbrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JMbrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JMbrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JMbrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JMbrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JMbrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How long before my workout should I eat?

I've heard that you should leave 45 minutes, I've also heard an hour, hour and a half, even 2-3 hours. I wake up, have a protein shake and 85g of oatmeal (which is a fair bit), and it doesn't matter how long I wait, I always feel the same, so is there any point in actually waiting? Also, I eat around 70g of carbs before the gym, and I don't even feel that energized?

Registered User ErikTheElectric's Avatar
    ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    There is no set time to eat before your workout because.... meal timing doesn't matter

You could wake up and train completely fasted, and hit bigger PR's than someone who was training on 350g of CHO.
    Eat whatever, and whenever you feel like it.

Vinzr is just really nice. (+1000) Vinzr is just really nice. (+1000) Vinzr is just really nice. (+1000) Vinzr is just really nice. (+1000) Vinzr is just really nice. (+1000) Vinzr is just really nice. (+1000) Vinzr is just really nice. (+1000) Vinzr is just really nice. (+1000) Vinzr is just really nice. (+1000) Vinzr is just really nice. (+1000) Vinzr is just really nice. (+1000)
    My rule is 30 minutes before my workout. This gives enough time for the food to get into my body so I don't get any stitches or stomach aches while working out. It really depends on you but I'd say anything between 30 mins to an hour is suitable.

Mylambo90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mylambo90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mylambo90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mylambo90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mylambo90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mylambo90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mylambo90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mylambo90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mylambo90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mylambo90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mylambo90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Something like oatmeal won't give you energy a half hour before your workout... You would need to be eating some faster digesting carbs, I typically take a shake with some fast digesting carbs and protein an hour before my workout to give it time to settle before my workout.

As far as working out fasted in the morning, there have been a some studies on this (sumo wrestlers actually do their first workout in the morning fasted, and then right afterwords eat a huge meal and take a nap haha) because it supposedly can slow down your metabolism. If you think about it, you start a workout with no fuel in the tank, your body prepares itself for the rest of the day to be running on low fuel. After reading these articles I always start my day with a little something before a workout just to get the metabolism going in the morning.

jon1995 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jon1995 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jon1995 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jon1995 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jon1995 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jon1995 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jon1995 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jon1995 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jon1995 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jon1995 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jon1995 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i usually just like BCAA 5-20min before. If eating give it 90-120 minutes before a workout so you can atleast give your stomach some digestion time

BBqChicken1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BBqChicken1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BBqChicken1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BBqChicken1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BBqChicken1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BBqChicken1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BBqChicken1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BBqChicken1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BBqChicken1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BBqChicken1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BBqChicken1 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Mylambo90 View Post
    Something like oatmeal won't give you energy a half hour before your workout... You would need to be eating some faster digesting carbs, I typically take a shake with some fast digesting carbs and protein an hour before my workout to give it time to settle before my workout.

As far as working out fasted in the morning, there have been a some studies on this (sumo wrestlers actually do their first workout in the morning fasted, and then right afterwords eat a huge meal and take a nap haha) because it supposedly can slow down your metabolism. If you think about it, you start a workout with no fuel in the tank, your body prepares itself for the rest of the day to be running on low fuel. After reading these articles I always start my day with a little something before a workout just to get the metabolism going in the morning.
    FYI: Some people doing IF have more energy training fasted when not.

Again, eating in the morning is not necessary. It's personal preference.

Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by ErikTheElectric View Post
    There is no set time to eat before your workout because.... meal timing doesn't matter

You could wake up and train completely fasted, and hit bigger PR's than someone who was training on 350g of CHO.
    ??

Meal timing doesnt matter for body composition...but I think it matter in this case. If you go to the gym right after a large meal, your performance will be reduce. When you eat, more blood go in the gut to help the digestion and less blood is available for the muscles. Also, I guess the hormones that help the digestion doesnt help sport performance (ie higher insuline).

OP, in your case, I dont think your meal is large enough to bother yourself with the timing. Personnally, when I feel lethargic after a meal, I wait an hour and usually, Im ready to go.
    ☆ ☆ QUEBEC CREW ☆ ☆

OW log :
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149575693&p=977696913#post977696913

Competition lift : 212 kg total (95/117) @ 77 kg

BBqChicken1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BBqChicken1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BBqChicken1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BBqChicken1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BBqChicken1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BBqChicken1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BBqChicken1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BBqChicken1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BBqChicken1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BBqChicken1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BBqChicken1 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Saintsqc View Post
    ??

Meal timing doesnt matter for body composition...but I think it matter in this case. If you go to the gym right after a large meal, your performance will be reduce. When you eat, more blood go in the gut to help the digestion and less blood is available for the muscles. Also, I guess the hormones that help the digestion doesnt help sport performance (ie higher insuline).

OP, in your case, I dont think your meal is large enough to bother yourself with the timing. Personnally, when I feel lethargic after a meal, I wait an hour and usually, Im ready to go.

Going by your logic, we shouldn't eat before a workout at all, since digestion time can sometimes take several hours.

Registered User noodlesfromhell's Avatar
    noodlesfromhell has a spectacular aura about. (+250) noodlesfromhell has a spectacular aura about. (+250) noodlesfromhell has a spectacular aura about. (+250) noodlesfromhell has a spectacular aura about. (+250) noodlesfromhell has a spectacular aura about. (+250) noodlesfromhell has a spectacular aura about. (+250) noodlesfromhell has a spectacular aura about. (+250) noodlesfromhell has a spectacular aura about. (+250) noodlesfromhell has a spectacular aura about. (+250) noodlesfromhell has a spectacular aura about. (+250) noodlesfromhell has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Not a good idea to eat within an hour or so before an intense leg workout. It's just won't feel good. Otherwise it doesn't matter as long as you don't feel stuffed while you workout.
    getting my protein through a venflon 24/7 so i don't go catabolic crew

not gonna make it crew

RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000)

This.

Ah, I see Erik is back in the TBB section.....
    This post is Natypes approved.
    Natypes crew

I'm also a gun snob.

Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by BBqChicken1 View Post
    Going by your logic, we shouldn't eat before a workout at all, since digestion time can sometimes take several hours.
    I guess so...

Athletes are often advised not to eat several hours before training or competition. This is advice worth adhering to, as food in the stomach will lead to competition for blood flow between the digestive system and muscles. It has been shown that gastrointestinal blood flow during exercise shortly after a meal is greater compared to exercising on an empty stomach.
    Waaler BA, Eriksen M, Janbu T. The effect of a meal on cardiac output in man at rest and during moderate exercise. Acta Physiol Scand. 1990 Oct;140(2):167-73

It is a little bit too extreme IMO to not eat several hours before a training. It might be hard/impossible for some to fit their meal timing and training into their schedule.

In his book, Alan Aragon suggest the prework out to be finished 60-90 minutes before training if it's a solid meal or 30 minutes if it's an easily digested meal (like OP's breakfast). Idk if he still advise this though...his book is quite old (2007).

Personnally, if I eat a large meal and I go train right after, I feel sluggish and my work out sucks.
    Whenever I take my shake, a fruit or a snack doesnt really matter. I can finish my shake and eat an apple right before my work out and I feel great.

I repeat, meal timing doesnt matter in regard to body composition. But when it comes to energy distribution, statiety feeling, etc, it does matter.
    ☆ ☆ QUEBEC CREW ☆ ☆

OW log :
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149575693&p=977696913#post977696913

ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by RollTideNation View Post
    This.

Ah, I see Erik is back in the TBB section.....

Yep, and the above poster is mainly why I left in the first place. Too much ignorance, and false logic. How you been bruh?

Yep, and the above poster is mainly why I left in the first place. Too much ignorance, and false logic. How you been bruh?
    Then, enlight me.

My knowledge on nutrition is quite basic. If you can teach me something new, please go on.
    ☆ ☆ QUEBEC CREW ☆ ☆

OW log :

Then, enlight me.

My knowledge on nutrition is quite basic. If you can teach me something new, please go on.
    Did you read what "bbqchicken" wrote?

Basically your saying that it requires massive amounts of energy for our bodies to digest the food that we put in it prior to workout.
    So, therefore... MEAL TIMING DOES MATTER. I disagree entirely.

- Everybody is individually different
    - It depends on the size/volume of the food that's eaten. Think (2lbs of broccoli vs A candy bar)

Bottom Line: In the context of, "OH I GOTTA HAVE THAT SWEET POTATO AND CHICKEN BREAST EXACTLY 45 MINUTES and 39 SECONDS BEFORE MY WORKOUT TO GET THE MOST ENERGIES".. it's total bro-science.

spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000)

Basically your saying that it requires massive amounts of energy for our bodies to digest the food that we put in it prior to workout.

- It depends on the size/volume of the food that's eaten. Think (2lbs of broccoli vs A candy bar)

Bottom Line: In the context of, "OH I GOTTA HAVE THAT SWEET POTATO AND CHICKEN BREAST EXACTLY 45 MINUTES and 39 SECONDS BEFORE MY WORKOUT TO GET THE MOST ENERGIES".. it's total bro-science.
    He basically said that it is personal preference if I read his post right? All he said was it matters in regards to performance, which is true.

RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Not bad, man. What bout you?
    This post is Natypes approved.
    Natypes crew

I'm also a gun snob.

Chill the **** out dude...did you even read my posts? Or did you just stop reading when you saw "meal timing matter"?

I never said (nor even think) that it takes a masssive amount of energy to digest. Where the hell did you get that? It's a matter of blood flow. More flow in the guts = less flow in the muscles ; less flow in the muscles = decrease in physical performance.

For certain circumtances, I think so. Whether you have your 150g of protein in 3 differents meals separate by 4h or you have 150g of protein in one meal...I dont think it matters at all in regard to protein synthesis, anabolic window, body composition, etc.
    Obviously, meal timing does matter for certain thing. My knowledge is quite limited though...hope you can help me on that :
    Why do I feel less hungry during a cut to have my entire macros/calories in 1-2 large meal instead of 6-8 small meals?
    Why do I feel lethargic, sleepy, right after a large meal? 2 hours after, I feel perfect?
    Why do I feel hungry, regardless to my previous macros/calories intake, around 6-7 pm?
    Why do I have no endurance for a workout, when I go to the gym right after a huge bowl of pastas?

There is a couple of examples where the factor of time have an impact on my meal. Simply saying "MEAL TIMING DOESNT MATTER" at every aspect of nutrition is retarded. It remind me my christians grand parents who were saying "Jesus' plan" to every bad or good things that could happen to them. It doesnt explain anything.

Bottom Line: In the context of, "OH I GOTTA HAVE THAT SWEET POTATO AND CHICKEN BREAST EXACTLY 45 MINUTES and 39 SECONDS BEFORE MY WORKOUT TO GET THE MOST ENERGIES".. it's total bro-science
    lol wut?

I dont remember me saying anything that could be similar to this.
    Where is the broscience in my posts? I provid 2 viables sources.
    ☆ ☆ QUEBEC CREW ☆ ☆

OW log :

spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Just want to point out that this is getting heated for absolutely no reason. I'm 99% sure the 2 of you agree but are just experiencing a disconnect on the way you are saying it.

Dav92 is not very well liked. (-100) Dav92 is not very well liked. (-100) Dav92 is not very well liked. (-100) Dav92 is not very well liked. (-100) Dav92 is not very well liked. (-100) Dav92 is not very well liked. (-100) Dav92 is not very well liked. (-100) Dav92 is not very well liked. (-100) Dav92 is not very well liked. (-100) Dav92 is not very well liked. (-100) Dav92 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Try eating 30 minutes before then 60 minutes before then 1½ hours before and see whatever feels best for you.

Originally Posted by spiderman997 View Post
    Just want to point out that this is getting heated for absolutely no reason. I'm 99% sure the 2 of you agree but are just experiencing a disconnect on the way you are saying it.
    Well, yeah probably.

But he is so much knowledgable and his logic is so right and good that I beg him to take some of his time to explain me how everything works in regard to nutrition so I could parrot everywhere in this section "MEAL TIMING DOESNT MATTER! MEAL TIMING DOESNT MATTER!".

Im joking Erik, I dont wanna piss you off. I'm aware I'm quite ignorant about nutrition. Seriously, if you can teach me 1 thing or 2, I'll be grateful. But if you just parroting principles without real comprehension...well please, stop being a smartass.

Just to be clear :
    -I believe meal timing doesnt matter in regard to body composition
    -I believe meal timing does matter in regard to certain aspects (like time between meal and work out for optimal energy/endurance/performance).
    ☆ ☆ QUEBEC CREW ☆ ☆

OW log :

Well, yeah probably.

But he is so much knowledgable and his logic is so right and good that I beg him to take some of his time to explain me how everything works in regard to nutrition so I could parrot everywhere in this section "MEAL TIMING DOESNT MATTER! MEAL TIMING DOESNT MATTER!".

Im joking Erik, I dont wanna piss you off. I'm aware I'm quite ignorant about nutrition. Seriously, if you can teach me 1 thing or 2, I'll be grateful. But if you just parroting principles without real comprehension...well please, stop being a smartass.

Just to be clear :
    -I believe meal timing doesnt matter in regard to body composition
    -I believe meal timing does matter in regard to certain aspects (like time between meal and work out for optimal energy/endurance/performance).
    Ah, I must've mis interpreted what you wrote. Sorry, there's just way to much broscience being spread around this section now a days.

Now I see what you're trying to imply.

My apologies.

And everyone made up and teen bodybuilding lived happily ever after.

Then they all fucked.

No homo.

corepuncher has a spectacular aura about. (+250) corepuncher has a spectacular aura about. (+250) corepuncher has a spectacular aura about. (+250) corepuncher has a spectacular aura about. (+250) corepuncher has a spectacular aura about. (+250) corepuncher has a spectacular aura about. (+250) corepuncher has a spectacular aura about. (+250) corepuncher has a spectacular aura about. (+250) corepuncher has a spectacular aura about. (+250) corepuncher has a spectacular aura about. (+250) corepuncher has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Some advice from the Mayo Clinic (who presumably knows their s**t):

www.mayoclinic.com/health/exercise/HQ00594_D
    Bench: 295 X 1, 245 X 7, 225 X 11
    Incline Bench: 265 X 2, 225 X 7
    Dumbbell Bench: 130's X 2
    Deadlift: 565 X 1, 405 X 8
    Squat: 365 X 1, 315 X 2 ATG
    Box Jump: 50" Standing

Anabolex43 Anabolex43 Anabolex43 Anabolex43 Anabolex43 Anabolex43 Anabolex43 Anabolex43 Anabolex43 Anabolex43 Anabolex43
    My post workout meal is always my first meal of the day, except on rest days. I get my first meal around 3-6pm. It doesnt matter imo