IconOfVanity has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IconOfVanity has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IconOfVanity has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

NAVY SEAL hopeful looking for weight lifting routine.

Will most likely be banging out lifts in the morning. I've lifted before, but I'm not very knowledgeable on it. Looking for a workout that emphasizes on strength and stamina, maybe something that would really increase my pull ups and push ups muscle-wise besides just doing them. Also any good core workouts would be sweet, I've tried doing some research but I don't have the experience or time to figure it out myself. I'm 5'11" about 165-170lbs 11%bf if it matters, I'm also going to be doing a bit of running and swimming later in the day.

The Navy is pretty much looking for hunks and a lot of the training is mental, but a lot of that mental stuff is based off physical stuff, so I figure I go in a running, swimming, lifting machine that can deal with cold water, and think on my feet, it won't be as bad. I'm kindly asking you guys to help me with one of these things. Make me strong /bb/.

Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You better just worry about making in through Hell Week, squid. You need to focus on what you'll be doing in hell week, dips, running, swimming, pushups, pullups, etc...
    OG

mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Seal website has a suggested routine. I'd do that
    {{**DIRTY SOUTH CREW**}}

Strength Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=141019611&p=806856321#post806856321

Drive/Uncut Review:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158011943

octoberfest is not very helpful. (-500) octoberfest is not very helpful. (-500) octoberfest is not very helpful. (-500) octoberfest is not very helpful. (-500) octoberfest is not very helpful. (-500) octoberfest is not very helpful. (-500) octoberfest is not very helpful. (-500) octoberfest is not very helpful. (-500) octoberfest is not very helpful. (-500) octoberfest is not very helpful. (-500) octoberfest is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by IconOfVanity View Post
    Will most likely be banging out lifts in the morning. I've lifted before, but I'm not very knowledgeable on it. Looking for a workout that emphasizes on strength and stamina, maybe something that would really increase my pull ups and push ups muscle-wise besides just doing them. Also any good core workouts would be sweet, I've tried doing some research but I don't have the experience or time to figure it out myself. I'm 5'11" about 165-170lbs 11%bf if it matters, I'm also going to be doing a bit of running and swimming later in the day.

The Navy is pretty much looking for hunks and a lot of the training is mental, but a lot of that mental stuff is based off physical stuff, so I figure I go in a running, swimming, lifting machine that can deal with cold water, and think on my feet, it won't be as bad. I'm kindly asking you guys to help me with one of these things. Make me strong /bb/.

There is no short cut or easy way. If you want to get better at pull ups and push ups.... do them. A lot.

Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Limit your weight training and do a lot of calisthenics, running, pullups and swimming. Also it would help to practice being sleep deprived and swimming in 50-60 degree water.

ttuedu has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ttuedu has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ttuedu has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ttuedu has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ttuedu has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ttuedu has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ttuedu has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ttuedu has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ttuedu has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ttuedu has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ttuedu has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

first off mad respect for u man. my dad is retired navy and my brother is currently in italy serving in the air force. would rep if i could. butttttt yeah hell week is crazy....i would concentrate on pull ups, sit ups, push ups, and get RIDICULOUSY GOOD AT CARDIO.. run with a weight vest, holding something heavy above your head, running in sand with extra weight on u. but in reality they work u up to be able to handle the physical part, but that doesn't mean u shouldn't get ahead. its the mental part that forces ppl to drop out. if i were u i would test yourself for a week. get like 1- 2 hours day for seven days straight. if u can do that and workout hard u should be ahead of a lot of the other guys.

EDIT: ohhh yeah swim swim swim. no lie u should swimming lessons(even if u think your a great swimmer) they will push u beyond what u can even imagine. again mad respect and good luck

The Honky Barry White theoctavist's Avatar
    theoctavist is a jewel in the rough. (+500) theoctavist is a jewel in the rough. (+500) theoctavist is a jewel in the rough. (+500) theoctavist is a jewel in the rough. (+500) theoctavist is a jewel in the rough. (+500) theoctavist is a jewel in the rough. (+500) theoctavist is a jewel in the rough. (+500) theoctavist is a jewel in the rough. (+500) theoctavist is a jewel in the rough. (+500) theoctavist is a jewel in the rough. (+500) theoctavist is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I wasn't a seal, but an Army Ranger... What got me through Ranger School was my mind....and being in GREAT cardiovascular shape, as well as having muscular endurance.

Strength isn't as important as endurance is. but your MIND is the key. you need to spend a metric ****ton of time in the water , getting acclimatized to frigid water, lack of sleep(big one) and little food.

so basically...you cant really prep for it. if you could, anyone could do it...and they cant.

Water Polo players have MUCH better odds. fact
    "If you're doing business with a religious son-of-a-b*&ch, get it in writing. His word isn't worth ****. Not with the good lord telling him how to **** you on the deal."- William Seward Burroughs.

T4344 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) T4344 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) T4344 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) T4344 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) T4344 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) T4344 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) T4344 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) T4344 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) T4344 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) T4344 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) T4344 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

The Navy website has SEAL workouts// BUDs Prep or goto a BUDs Pre-Course

IconOfVanity has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IconOfVanity has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IconOfVanity has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I understand the endurance part, I just want to be an animal, and carry my weight and possibly more for my team while at BUD/S. I just feel like I lack in the strength department, and was just seeking some advice on what type of routine to have. You still have to carry the logs, boats, twin 80's on your back, treading water with those things on for like 5 minutes. It's not going to hurt me to lift weights and get stronger, I'm still going to be doing calisthenics, a lot of running, and a lot of swimming. I don't think it's broscience that with weight training my tendons and ligaments are getting stronger as well and that will prevent injuries. At least that's how I feel, thanks for the pointers guys.

Actually was just looking at lifting stats, and the 6 exercises they have listed there are like basic and seem good, how would I go about doing that during the week? Bench Press, Squats, Bicep Curls, Overhead Press, Deadlifts, Barbell Rows.

MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000)
    Bench Press, Squats, Bicep Curls, Overhead Press, Deadlifts, Barbell Rows.
    I'm of the opinion that (weighted) chinups and dips are also "key lifts". Bicep curls, not so much. Not bad at all, as a supplementary exercise, mind you. And DB rows are, IMO, just as good as the BB kind. Likewise, DBBP, if you want to emphasise the chest more. Lunges and stepups are good too. Hanging leg raises (weighted, even). GHRs...

Gets to be quite the list.

As for where they go in the week, that's up to you. Alternatively, just pick a solid routine, and stick with it, adding more weight either according to the plan, or simply when you're able.

theoctavist is a jewel in the rough. (+500) theoctavist is a jewel in the rough. (+500) theoctavist is a jewel in the rough. (+500) theoctavist is a jewel in the rough. (+500) theoctavist is a jewel in the rough. (+500) theoctavist is a jewel in the rough. (+500) theoctavist is a jewel in the rough. (+500) theoctavist is a jewel in the rough. (+500) theoctavist is a jewel in the rough. (+500) theoctavist is a jewel in the rough. (+500) theoctavist is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I understand the endurance part, I just want to be an animal, and carry my weight and possibly more for my team while at BUD/S. I just feel like I lack in the strength department, and was just seeking some advice on what type of routine to have. You still have to carry the logs, boats, twin 80's on your back, treading water with those things on for like 5 minutes. It's not going to hurt me to lift weights and get stronger, I'm still going to be doing calisthenics, a lot of running, and a lot of swimming. I don't think it's broscience that with weight training my tendons and ligaments are getting stronger as well and that will prevent injuries. At least that's how I feel, thanks for the pointers guys.

Actually was just looking at lifting stats, and the 6 exercises they have listed there are like basic and seem good, how would I go about doing that during the week? Bench Press, Squats, Bicep Curls, Overhead Press, Deadlifts, Barbell Rows.
    You can't really train for it. You can, in a general sense, be in good cardio shape, etc...but I guarantee that when it gets rough(and it will often) you wont be saying "man, those squats or bench presses really gave me the edge, golly!!!"

it is about being mentally tough and having a special quality that makes you stand out from the rest of the candidates. you cant train for it.....as i said, if it were that easy, anyone could do it.

there were 5-6 enormous tremendously strong guys in Ranger School with me. two of them were college football players. all but one of them BOLOd and quit. they didnt have the mental fortitude.

you need to be training your mind. do pushups and situps , swim, and run...but if your mentality is off, NONE of that **** matters. Physicality doesn't mean that much in the long run. they arent looking for the strongest, fastest....they are looking for the guy that never quits, who will die trying.
    "If you're doing business with a religious son-of-a-b*&ch, get it in writing. His word isn't worth ****. Not with the good lord telling him how to **** you on the deal."- William Seward Burroughs.

nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Here's the journal of someone going through BUDs. The first thing you'll see is that he isn't huge (but linked more for an overall understanding of the training requirements)...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=125789103
    Last edited by nutsy54; 04-22-2012 at 11:41 AM.

Originally Posted by nutsy54 View Post
    Here's the journal of someone going through BUDs. The first thing you'll see is that he isn't huge (but linked more for an overall understanding of the training requirements)...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=125789103
    wonder if he made it....buds is just the start

zdb55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) zdb55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) zdb55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) zdb55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) zdb55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) zdb55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) zdb55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) zdb55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) zdb55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) zdb55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) zdb55 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I too am a hopeful SEAL.

Visit http://www.sealswcc.com/ and read up. Follow the PTG provided on the site, as it is tailored to get a average enlistee ready for BUDs. Go on the forum on the site and read. There are a lot of people on there that have contracts and post their training, and what helped them succeed and get contracts. The octavist is correct, you can't train for Hellweek or any aspects BUDs, because you just don't know, you just have to experience it. The PTG is meant to give the best chance of getting through BUDs, there is no guarantee.

If you are really committed the one thing I have heard multiple times from retired/current SEALs, is to make small milestones, such as making it to the next meal and so on. Don't look too much in the future, don't say I am going to make it through Hellweek, instead say i will make it to the next evolution, after you make it to that say you will make it to the next.
    Last edited by zdb55; 04-24-2012 at 11:13 PM.
    Always trying to help

“Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.” -Lance Armstrong

**l**MISC GIF CREW**l**