MookyStick will become famous soon enough. (+50) MookyStick will become famous soon enough. (+50) MookyStick will become famous soon enough. (+50) MookyStick will become famous soon enough. (+50) MookyStick will become famous soon enough. (+50) MookyStick will become famous soon enough. (+50) MookyStick will become famous soon enough. (+50) MookyStick will become famous soon enough. (+50) MookyStick will become famous soon enough. (+50) MookyStick will become famous soon enough. (+50) MookyStick will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Question about proper bench press form

Hey guys, just got a quick question about proper form on the flat bench press. I'm at somewhat of a crossroads when it comes to grip and elbows tucked vs. elbows out. Everyone has always told me that if I don't have my arms at a 45 degree angle with my body(tucked)then I'm doing "immense damage" to my shoulders. The issue I have with this is that in order to keep my elbows tucked, I have to keep a fairly narrow grip on the bar and I hateeee it!! I've found that I'm almost twice as strong when I have my hands outside of the outer ring(basically, index finger on the ring or directly beside it)but when doing this, I'm forced to keep my elbows out, its impossible for me to tuck them. I understand this is somewhat of an unusual grip for most people but I'm just weird like that I guess. Basically, is it absolutely necessary to keep elbows tucked? Will I really be doing shoulder damage if I don't? I've had shoulder injuries in the past and I just recently tweaked my right shoulder again but that was due to some bad form on military press.

Sorry about the kinda long post, I didn't intend for it. Thanks in advance!
    -Rob

k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000)
    There's no way I could tell you what to do with a barbell to avoid shoulder issues, since you already have a history of shoulder issues. Someone could tell you what they think you could do.....but even with spot on form, you may get eff'd up since you already have a history of issues.

My only advice is to try out Dumbbells starting light. You can usually tweak your form to be more "shoulder-friendly" (through hand positioning/the angle you grip the DBs) .

Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    "Do not subordinate fundamental principles to minor details."

Physiotherapy instagram
    https://www.instagram.com/dayyan.physio/

Registered User LlamaWithARifle's Avatar
    LlamaWithARifle is just really nice. (+1000) LlamaWithARifle is just really nice. (+1000) LlamaWithARifle is just really nice. (+1000) LlamaWithARifle is just really nice. (+1000) LlamaWithARifle is just really nice. (+1000) LlamaWithARifle is just really nice. (+1000) LlamaWithARifle is just really nice. (+1000) LlamaWithARifle is just really nice. (+1000) LlamaWithARifle is just really nice. (+1000) LlamaWithARifle is just really nice. (+1000) LlamaWithARifle is just really nice. (+1000)
    Take a look at the So You Think You Can Bench series on youtube.

It does however teach the powerlifting style of benching (big arch in your back) but it's my preferred style of benching. The videos go into a lot of depth and also talk about what to do if you have shoulder issues.

bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000)
    It sounds like you have to take some time to practice benchin properly. Go back cut the weight down and do a few sets every chest workout for a month or 2 and get your form right. With proper form the weight will come. 2 months working on form is nothing when you look at how long you will lift throughout your life. As far as it hurting your shoulder with the form your using I've never heard that but everyones different and we all have exercises we cant do or have to do differently to get them to workout for us! At your age the biggest thing you need to figure out is what works for you! Nutrition,lifting,supplement wise it takes time so dont worry you'll get it straight!

MookyStick will become famous soon enough. (+50) MookyStick will become famous soon enough. (+50) MookyStick will become famous soon enough. (+50) MookyStick will become famous soon enough. (+50) MookyStick will become famous soon enough. (+50) MookyStick will become famous soon enough. (+50) MookyStick will become famous soon enough. (+50) MookyStick will become famous soon enough. (+50) MookyStick will become famous soon enough. (+50) MookyStick will become famous soon enough. (+50) MookyStick will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I appreciate the quick replies everyone. I watched the vids and got some good information.

I'll definitely be a little more critical of my form in the future and try to figure out what works best.

Thanks again!
    -Rob

32bulkcycle is not very well liked. (-100) 32bulkcycle is not very well liked. (-100) 32bulkcycle is not very well liked. (-100) 32bulkcycle is not very well liked. (-100) 32bulkcycle is not very well liked. (-100) 32bulkcycle is not very well liked. (-100) 32bulkcycle is not very well liked. (-100) 32bulkcycle is not very well liked. (-100) 32bulkcycle is not very well liked. (-100) 32bulkcycle is not very well liked. (-100) 32bulkcycle is not very well liked. (-100)
    Why do people post threads asking questions that could easily be answered by a quick youtube or google search?

Originally Posted by 32bulkcycle View Post
    Why do people post threads asking questions that could easily be answered by a quick youtube or google search?
    Because I think my situation was a little more specific than most...did you even read my original post? None of those videos actually answered my question, the only one that came close was bucsdodgers but I appreciate all other advice nonetheless.

JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by 32bulkcycle View Post
    In that case, why don't they just shut down the forum and put up a page that says "Refer to Google and Youtube"?

I have a better question. Why do people come into threads they think are "stupid" or "pointless" and waste their time posting?