Thread: Deadlift Help!

o3hundred has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) o3hundred has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) o3hundred has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) o3hundred has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) o3hundred has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) o3hundred has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) o3hundred has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) o3hundred has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) o3hundred has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) o3hundred has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) o3hundred has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Exclamation Deadlift Help!

Hi there. I have been attempting to deadlift for the past week or 2. I have seen plenty of vids, but when I do it, I can't seem to get the right form. I keep my back straight at all times, when ascending and descending I try to keep my back at 45 degrees. Barbell touching my sheens and quads all the time, I even got painful bumps from the bar a few days ago. I lock my shoulders at the top. But the thing is, I don't feel my lower back at all. I feel my quads and middle back work more than anything. A few guys told me to keep my chest out, when I do so, I can feel my middle back squeezing. When I lift the weight, I lift with my quads, as if I was squating. What am I doing wrong? How do I work my lower back?

IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    People rant about form like hell, but in reality I find that for the deadlift all you need to do is keep your back flat and do high rep sets with as much weight as possible and your form will correct automatically. Seriously, do sets of 10 for a while and you'll find that the only possible form you can complete 3 max effort sets of 10 reps with is the correct form.

It's kinda like the squat - people can either spend 10 years posting form check videos to see if their form meets everyone's "approval," or they can just squat heavy and deep and adjust their form as needed to produce better numbers and end up with the right form anyway.

In the end, the vast majority of "form check" videos are retarded and only shot by people who need to seek the approval of others. Your form is good when you:
    1. Feel the muscles you want to feel
    2. Have good ROM
    3. Can lift big weights with it without getting injured

o3hundred has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) o3hundred has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) o3hundred has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) o3hundred has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) o3hundred has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) o3hundred has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) o3hundred has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) o3hundred has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) o3hundred has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) o3hundred has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) o3hundred has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by IDrinkBloodLOL View Post
    People rant about form like hell, but in reality I find that for the deadlift all you need to do is keep your back flat and do high rep sets with as much weight as possible and your form will correct automatically. Seriously, do sets of 10 for a while and you'll find that the only possible form you can complete 3 max effort sets of 10 reps with is the correct form.

It's kinda like the squat - people can either spend 10 years posting form check videos to see if their form meets everyone's "approval," or they can just squat heavy and deep and adjust their form as needed to produce better numbers and end up with the right form anyway.

In the end, the vast majority of "form check" videos are retarded and only shot by people who need to seek the approval of others. Your form is good when you:
    1. Feel the muscles you want to feel
    2. Have good ROM
    3. Can lift big weights with it without getting injured
    I lift weights that are heavy for myself, and I know that deadlift is one, if not the most strict exercise regarding form since it could cause lower back injury/ problems.
    I have tried different variations, but I don't know if they're making me more vulnerable to injury

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by IDrinkBloodLOL View Post
    all you need to do is keep your back flat
    ^ Essentially that.

Do deads however your body likes. Keep the back flat and you'll be good to go.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

I've tried keep my back lower than 45 degrees, more parallel to the floor, but then I could see a bump in my lower back. Whenever I keep my chest out, I seem to work my legs more.

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by o3hundred View Post
    I've tried keep my back lower than 45 degrees, more parallel to the floor, but then I could see a bump in my lower back. Whenever I keep my chest out, I seem to work my legs more.
    Your starting hip position will dictate what muscles are emphasized in the lift.

Flat/arched low back is the main thing to worry about. Low back is the vulnerable part of your body during a deadlift.

Rounded upper back is fine.

If you really want help on your individual deadlift, then film yourself and upload the video for a critique. Otherwise, we're just talking in generalities.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

Originally Posted by chazzy1864 View Post
    ^ Essentially that.

Do deads however your body likes. Keep the back flat and you'll be good to go.
    Alright guys, thanks. Repped. I will give this a try.