Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    antoniod999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i liked the post about setting immediate goals was the best on. setting achievable goals and actually accomplishing them will keep you motivated in the long run.

for example, check the distance thing next time you work out and record what its at when you finish. each week set a new distance you want to travel and try to reach that distance each workout. i remember running used to be my biggest problem but now i can do 3 miles in 25 minutes but it took a long time to work up to that distance. for weeks id get to 2.9, 2.91, 2.92 and eventually i worked up to 3 miles.

anyways, good luck

elrosan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi Andrew,

I thought so too... currently on a vacation and am trying very hard to stick to my diet... lol

mckensel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mckensel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mckensel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mckensel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mckensel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mckensel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mckensel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mckensel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mckensel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mckensel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mckensel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I ask all my clients this, what are your three main goals: 1 for this month, 1 for this year, and one for the rest of your life. What are your goals, As well can you please post your stats on weight, height, BF if you know, as well as age.

You are jumping into training and that it is wonderful, i wish my clients had the drive that you have. But you need to remember you're new at this. And anyone new at anything can get injured very easy. I agree with several of the posts on here, but i do believe that first you need to set out a meal plan, A weekly meal plan with all your macros/micros(fats, carbs etc..vitamins, minerals etc..) accounted for. If you can not personally stick to a diet a training program is going to become very difficult for you as i have seen in the past, people get discouraged from working out due to lack of results. When 95% of the time it is the diet. You can have amazing foods and still be at or under 2k a day. I still would say do the elip but i would instead of going for greater intensity, i would first figure out what your HR max is and figure out a good steady pace starting out around 60% of your HR max. and do it for a interval of atleast 20 min. if you can not do it for 20 min slow it down and that is your goal the next week, to be able to hit that 20 min. if you fail or back off of something because you cant do it right then, that should be your goal the following week, or until you attain it. once you reach a time of 45 min on the elip at a steady pace, remove the time constraint and start focusing on distance, again follow the same rules set(pace, goals etc..). Weights are great but again dont over due them starting out. focus on your compound lifts more so than your isolated/isometric movements.

I encourage you to see a Dr. and get some blood work done as well to see where your HDL/LDL etc.. levels are so you can track your progress not just physically but as well as internally. Just cause your not seeing physical improvement doesnt mean your not helping your body out.

Best of luck to you in your life changing transformation,

Mac

gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    imo i dont believe the morbidly obese should do anything high intensity.
    as mentioned the most important factor in fat loss is diet, exercise is good for health & to help with calorie burning.
    do low intensity cardio for now, wait until u are in a better state to do high intensity.
    "Though the concept is not scientifically validated in detail (it should be considered as a hypothesis rather than a scientific theory), it is useful from a practical standpoint. When training athletes, it is impossible to wait until scientific research provides all of the necessary knowledge." Vladmir M. Zatsiorsky, Ph.D.

Originally Posted by gomez26 View Post
    imo i dont believe the morbidly obese should do anything high intensity.
    as mentioned the most important factor in fat loss is diet, exercise is good for health & to help with calorie burning.
    do low intensity cardio for now, wait until u are in a better state to do high intensity.
    @Mac:

Thanks for the information, will look into seeing a doctor. I have been on a tour and haven't been sticking to my diet and I will have to restart my entire program, taking your suggestion into account. Also, I will need to buy a good HR monitor...

@gomez:

I have been doing rather high intensities for some time already, however definitely not as high as you fit people do... I push myself but I know when to stop, thanks for your input!

I have also been doing some hiking while on the trip, though I stopped my diet, my regime was somewhat carried on with compound lifts done with my exercise belt.

dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by elrosan View Post
    Hmmm..

Update with my program:

I am up to warm up with 5 min of 25spm, then 8 reps of 15/45 where 15s is at about 50spm, 45s recovery at 25spm... then remaining 7 min to complete 7km as shown on my elliptical cross trainer.

My timing used to be 21min-ish and now I am beginning to reap a little bit of rewards by aiming for a 10s improvement in time everyday...

I just managed to clock 7km at 19:40 today.

As for my diet, I am keeping every meal below 500cal, 3 meals a day...
    be sure not to starve yourself of calories or you will get stuck not losing weight.

check out www.fat2fitradio.com podcasts or find them on itunes. you can take away a lot from them.
    ▪█───────█▪

Ivanko Barbell Crew Member #6

My Gear:

Lamar Rack w/lat & row setup
    Ironmasters DB's with add on package
    1000 lbs of Ivanko OM Plates
    Ironmaster Super Bench
    Parabody Roman Chair
    Precor 546 Elliptical
    Concept II rower Model D w/PM4

▪█───────█▪

I've had bi-lateral hip replacement.
    Ask me anything about it.

Originally Posted by dnb View Post
    be sure not to starve yourself of calories or you will get stuck not losing weight.

check out podcasts or find them on itunes. you can take away a lot from them.
    Hi,

Once in a while (a fortnight maybe) I succumb to temptations and let it get the better of me and "reward" myself with some snacks...

And good news is that even though I went to Taiwan for a family trip (lots of good food!!!! Pigged out but still with some sort of control...) and I just took my weight. I was thinking I was bound to have put on weight but it turned out that I lost 1.6kg over these two weeks!

Though I did not achieve 1.2kg a week, I will still push myself to do my best and continue to aim for 1.2kg weight loss a week!

Thank you everyone for your kind comments, it keeps me going while this is also a very reliable source for information.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by elrosan View Post
    Hi,

Once in a while (a fortnight maybe) I succumb to temptations and let it get the better of me and "reward" myself with some snacks...

And good news is that even though I went to Taiwan for a family trip (lots of good food!!!! Pigged out but still with some sort of control...) and I just took my weight. I was thinking I was bound to have put on weight but it turned out that I lost 1.6kg over these two weeks!

Though I did not achieve 1.2kg a week, I will still push myself to do my best and continue to aim for 1.2kg weight loss a week!

Thank you everyone for your kind comments, it keeps me going while this is also a very reliable source for information.

Thanks!
    Latest update: I lost 3.4kg since the last time I took my weight (18/5/2012).

This is going surprising well since I was planning to get lighter than 120kg by next week, but now I am 120.2kg.

This will motivate me further rather than make me complacent, I hope. (:

LPAthickness will become famous soon enough. (+50) LPAthickness will become famous soon enough. (+50) LPAthickness will become famous soon enough. (+50) LPAthickness will become famous soon enough. (+50) LPAthickness will become famous soon enough. (+50) LPAthickness will become famous soon enough. (+50) LPAthickness will become famous soon enough. (+50) LPAthickness will become famous soon enough. (+50) LPAthickness will become famous soon enough. (+50) LPAthickness will become famous soon enough. (+50) LPAthickness will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Weighing 264lbs at only 5'7", I'd say that your issues are WAY beyond just a lack of exercise. If you want to lose the weight and keep it off forever, you absolutely MUST learn to respect your body enough to build some discipline with regard to your diet. If you don't respect your body, and just eat whatever the hell you want in whatever portions you feel like, then NO amount of exercise will be enough to keep the weight off.

What has your diet been in the past, that led to such a massive amount of weight gain? You need to examine the causes of your current predicament, so that you may come to understand how to avoid it in the future.
    "Nice TAPOUT shirt, you must kick so much ass."

President/CEO: The People's Coalition Against Gym Hissing
    Chairman: Advocates for the Dissolution of the Flat-Brimmed Ballcap Fad

S: 325
    B: 285
    D: 405

Originally Posted by LPAthickness View Post
    Weighing 264lbs at only 5'7", I'd say that your issues are WAY beyond just a lack of exercise. If you want to lose the weight and keep it off forever, you absolutely MUST learn to respect your body enough to build some discipline with regard to your diet. If you don't respect your body, and just eat whatever the hell you want in whatever portions you feel like, then NO amount of exercise will be enough to keep the weight off.

What has your diet been in the past, that led to such a massive amount of weight gain? You need to examine the causes of your current predicament, so that you may come to understand how to avoid it in the future.
    In hindsight, I have no idea how I managed to eat that much instant noodles and crap. I guess that kind of summarizes all the crap I ate.

Right now I abstain from all soft drinks and try not to take up munchies here and there, and I am eating in smaller portions now.