momofthree1983 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How can I fit working out into my schedule?

It's been a while since I posted on here. Since the last time i was here I lost 10 lbs. However, since getting divorced, I've been working full time 4 nights a week and going to school 5 days a week. I'm also a single mom. I hardly have anytime cause I only get about 4-5 hours of sleep between work, school and time with my kids. When I do get time off, I'm simply too tired.

My job is bartending, so I'm constantly on my feet and I'm always lifting liquor bottles and beer cases when I'm restocking so I'm fairly active. I also try to eat healthy.

I'm not trying to make any excuses even though it seems like it.

If there's anyone here on a similar boat, what do you suggest to squeeze some exercise into such a hectic schedule?

Thanks
    Last edited by momofthree1983; 06-30-2013 at 04:57 PM.

srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by momofthree1983 View Post
    It's been a while since I posted on here. Since the last time i was here I lost 10 lbs. However, since getting divorced, I've been working full time 4 nights a week and going to school 5 days a week. I'm also a single mom. I hardly have anytime cause I only get about 4-5 hours of sleep between work, school and time with my kids. When I do get time off, I'm simply too tired.

My job is bartending, so I'm constantly on my feet and I'm always lifting liquor bottles and beer cases when I'm restocking so I'm fairly active. I also try to eat healthy.

If there's anyone here on a similar boat, what do you suggest to squeeze some exercise into such a hectic schedule?

Thanks
    Try getting some exercise equipment to have at home... Like some resistance bands, stability ball, ect, and find yourself 30 min a day for a circuit workout. Something else you can do is involve your kids in your workout. I take my kids out for a bike ride while I run next to them... Or if they re younger look into a jogging stroller. There's lots of things you can do as a family
    IFBB Bikini Pro
    NFPT & NESTA Certified Personal Trainer
    CEO BamBody Nutrition
    Official Formutech Nutrition Athlete
    Www.formutechnutrition.com

MoonAbove is just really nice. (+1000) MoonAbove is just really nice. (+1000) MoonAbove is just really nice. (+1000) MoonAbove is just really nice. (+1000) MoonAbove is just really nice. (+1000) MoonAbove is just really nice. (+1000) MoonAbove is just really nice. (+1000) MoonAbove is just really nice. (+1000) MoonAbove is just really nice. (+1000) MoonAbove is just really nice. (+1000) MoonAbove is just really nice. (+1000)
    Whenever I encounter people like yourself who have real fitness goals, but claim no time for it, I always advise the same thing - you need to schedule your workouts like any other part of your day. So, you really need to carve out that time, and not differ from it.

For your cardio, start doing HIIT. You will get the burn, the metabolism spike, the heart workout, and do it all in 15 minutes.

For your muscle training, if you don't have serious goals to build big muscle, then I recommend doing plyo's and iso's at home. You can do a lot of serious toning with just your own body weight...

yrot21 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yrot21 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yrot21 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yrot21 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yrot21 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yrot21 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yrot21 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yrot21 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yrot21 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yrot21 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yrot21 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I work 52.5 hours a week. I'm married with one child (has ADHD/sensory issues, so he keeps us busy). I still workout 4X weekly @ 45 minutes per session. I keep the rest sessions short in-between sets. I have everything at home (free weights and bench), which helps with time, gas money, etc. You have to better-schedule/manage your life. When I was deployed, I was working 105 hours a week, and I still found time to workout.
    Hey, you guise.

lca1986 is just really nice. (+1000) lca1986 is just really nice. (+1000) lca1986 is just really nice. (+1000) lca1986 is just really nice. (+1000) lca1986 is just really nice. (+1000) lca1986 is just really nice. (+1000) lca1986 is just really nice. (+1000) lca1986 is just really nice. (+1000) lca1986 is just really nice. (+1000) lca1986 is just really nice. (+1000) lca1986 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Just make time. I got 4 kids. I work full time. Up until recently 12 hour days. 6 days a week. The busiest of busy can manage gym time into their schedule. Don't see why it's not possible for you either.

Iamjustdenise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iamjustdenise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iamjustdenise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iamjustdenise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iamjustdenise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iamjustdenise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iamjustdenise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iamjustdenise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iamjustdenise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iamjustdenise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iamjustdenise will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have to agree. Make time. I have 3 kids. I work 12 hour nightshifts. If you want it, do it. Plan it and make it happen.

spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you're already only getting 4-5 hours of sleep a week, then it sounds like you need to just try and take care of yourself. Try and eat a well rounded diet and stick to a deficit and outside of that do what you can. resistance bands, BW exercises, whatever you can when you find yourself needing a quick study break. You'll be surprised at how much more energy you have after 10 min or so of activity.

GL!

JohnUhl has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JohnUhl has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JohnUhl has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JohnUhl has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JohnUhl has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JohnUhl has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JohnUhl has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JohnUhl has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JohnUhl has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JohnUhl has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JohnUhl has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Ur amazing

JohnUhl has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JohnUhl has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JohnUhl has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JohnUhl has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JohnUhl has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JohnUhl has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JohnUhl has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JohnUhl has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JohnUhl has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JohnUhl has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JohnUhl has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by spicyprice View Post
    If you're already only getting 4-5 hours of sleep a week, then it sounds like you need to just try and take care of yourself. Try and eat a well rounded diet and stick to a deficit and outside of that do what you can. resistance bands, BW exercises, whatever you can when you find yourself needing a quick study break. You'll be surprised at how much more energy you have after 10 min or so of activity.

GL!
    Don't listen to this

spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by JohnUhl View Post
    Don't listen to this
    Lol, and why is that?

Newly single mom with a ft job and ft school who is hardly getting any sleep as it is. Emotional, stressed, tired. Encouraging her to get adequate sleep to deal with all if it, feed her body well, and exercise even if in small increments. This is bad advice how?

devourthepower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) devourthepower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) devourthepower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) devourthepower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thanks
    As people have said, sleep is an important part of taking care of your overall health. And you will never find time for working out, you have to *make* time. I'm a college student taking a full schedule and working two jobs to pay rent (and pay for all my protein/gym memberships/workout stuff, lol) and I make sure to MAKE that time. I work out aroudn 5:30 am before class/work. I make sure to do my homework or other needs RIGHT after I get home, and go to bed around 2-3 hours after that. Fitness has become such a big part of my life that I pretty much schedule time around it.

Also, get some home workout stuff. If I don't feel like driving to the gym, I go for a run outside for my cardio, and I have a kettlebell and Swiss ball at home to do the basics.
    "You are your greatest asset. Put your time, effort and money into training, grooming, and encouraging your greatest asset."

Founder of AZ Ladies who Lift
    http://www.meetup.com/az-Ladies-who-Lift/

Current(lbs) | S:225 D:185 B:95
    Goals(lbs) | S:305 D:250 B:135

sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I don't think I would devote time to training if I was in your situation. I'd make the most of any time with the kids (park, jogging stroller, whatever) and then focus on training at a later date. I personally need downtime after dealing with the kids, I'd rather relax on the couch with any spare 20 minutes than keep going without a break.

Despite what some people might say, if you are working/going to school/single parent to 3, IT'S OKAY to not 'train' Yes, some people are superhuman and find ways, but it's okay to not work out too if you are overwhelmed temporarily. I think mental health matters.

sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000)
    She's only sleeping 4-5 hours a night, is working out in a traditional gym really worth just 3-4 hours of sleep instead? Not IMO....

blackhuff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm in the same situation as what you find in at the moment. I am working full time, have 2 kids and about to start studies of Personal Training in the evenings. Talked it over with my husband and we found that I need to do my 90 minutes of training after work and get home. Then leave for evening studies class. 90 Minutes are just not possible in the mornings with kids. Good luck in finding time to train, I know how hard it is to find the time.

Registered User coconuttree2009's Avatar
    coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Since my life got busy I now squeeze in my workouts into my lunchbreak, which ment that instead of 1.5h at the gym I know spend 40min but I made my rest periods shorter and intensity higher.
    However, I am not sure if on few hours of sleep I would be able to function at work, forget workouts. This would not be my priority.

Thanks!

Thanks everyone. I know I have at least an hour to do a quickie workout. At work while I lift beer cases and move liquor bottles around, I try to engage my entire body. If it's a slower night I dance when someone plays good music on the jukebox. I gained about 6 lbs now cause of the crazy schedule but I'm 24.4% body fat, which is better than 2 years ago when I was close to 30% and the same weight. That's not bad right?
    Last edited by momofthree1983; 07-20-2013 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Typos

This is how I feel exactly! Still, even though I'm at a normal weight for my height, when I look in the mirror, I still feel like i could look better. Fresh fruits and veggies are so expensive on a regular basis and I don't have too much time to cook. At work, I eat but the menu isn't always the healthiest. I try opting for lower carbs and I try get some fiber from fresh fruit like apples when I'm on the go since they're fairly cheap. I just don't feel like I'm doing enough...

Originally Posted by sonti View Post
    I don't think I would devote time to training if I was in your situation. I'd make the most of any time with the kids (park, jogging stroller, whatever) and then focus on training at a later date. I personally need downtime after dealing with the kids, I'd rather relax on the couch with any spare 20 minutes than keep going without a break.

Despite what some people might say, if you are working/going to school/single parent to 3, IT'S OKAY to not 'train' Yes, some people are superhuman and find ways, but it's okay to not work out too if you are overwhelmed temporarily. I think mental health matters.

Lauren1987 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lauren1987 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lauren1987 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lauren1987 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lauren1987 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lauren1987 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lauren1987 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lauren1987 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lauren1987 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lauren1987 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lauren1987 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You need to fit the time into your schedule, otherwise it's too easy to duck and avoid. Home workouts and kit will help a lot if you're under time constraints. I work regular full-time hours so to a point have the luxury of time, but I choose to roll out of bed earlier and workout in the morning because it's generally easier to fit in. Things like school runs and playing with the kids could be turned into a cardio workout. For cooking, try bulk cooking and freezing a few batches of meals. A couple of times a week you can do food quickly! I sometimes make a batch of chilli or spag bol sauce to freeze, we portion it up and leave it to defrost for the next day. Reheats nicely when the pasta/rice/jacket potato is cooking. I quite often make some extras and turn leftover pasta or quinoa into a fish or chicken based lunch for the following day, great with a few vegetables (some cooked frozen vegetables would work!). Soup can also be cooked in a large batch and kept in the fridge for 5 days - Mexican bean is very filling and easy and so is vegetable. I probably wouldn't keep a meat one for that long though.
    Going for gold :)

Does it matter whether I eat before or after my workout? I prefer to just roll out of bed and work out like you said, but I keep hearing that's it's so bad to work out on an empty stomach!

If I can get away with it, I'll roll out of bed, do a quickie workout, then eat breakfast ASAP.

Originally Posted by Lauren1987 View Post
    You need to fit the time into your schedule, otherwise it's too easy to duck and avoid. Home workouts and kit will help a lot if you're under time constraints. I work regular full-time hours so to a point have the luxury of time, but I choose to roll out of bed earlier and workout in the morning because it's generally easier to fit in. Things like school runs and playing with the kids could be turned into a cardio workout. For cooking, try bulk cooking and freezing a few batches of meals. A couple of times a week you can do food quickly! I sometimes make a batch of chilli or spag bol sauce to freeze, we portion it up and leave it to defrost for the next day. Reheats nicely when the pasta/rice/jacket potato is cooking. I quite often make some extras and turn leftover pasta or quinoa into a fish or chicken based lunch for the following day, great with a few vegetables (some cooked frozen vegetables would work!). Soup can also be cooked in a large batch and kept in the fridge for 5 days - Mexican bean is very filling and easy and so is vegetable. I probably wouldn't keep a meat one for that long though.

SuperMomx4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SuperMomx4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SuperMomx4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SuperMomx4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SuperMomx4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SuperMomx4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SuperMomx4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SuperMomx4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SuperMomx4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SuperMomx4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SuperMomx4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I've been a single working in school mom, now a married mom with 4 kids, two with special needs that take huge resources, and sleep very little.

What I've learned:
    1) Make time
    2) it isn't all or nothing

Per #2: the reality is you need to sleep and your kids needs you and some weeks, 5 days of working out just won't happen. I have my lifting on a 2 day cycle right now, as things are hectic. I can lift four days often, but if I only get in 2, I've hit my whole body heavy at least once that week. I force 2 days at the expense of everything. And I strive for days 3 and 4 and often get them in. I eat well enough to make cardio optional.
    My family's food prep escapades: How and what to feed bodybuilding marco counting parents, picky teenagers and allergic to everything kids!

www.********.com/JoannaFitnessFoods

All 3 of my kids are special needs. I really want to make time. Will i still get results with what little sleep I'm getting?

I also just posted a thread on this but I feel that it's easier for me to work out as soon as I wake up before I do everything else (shower, breakfast, get dressed...) will I get some good results if I at least eat as soon as I work out? My problem is that even just 20 minutes of exercise is such a huge production with all the prepping you gotta do. Isn't something better than nothing?

Originally Posted by SuperMomx4 View Post
    I've been a single working in school mom, now a married mom with 4 kids, two with special needs that take huge resources, and sleep very little.

What I've learned:
    1) Make time
    2) it isn't all or nothing

Per #2: the reality is you need to sleep and your kids needs you and some weeks, 5 days of working out just won't happen. I have my lifting on a 2 day cycle right now, as things are hectic. I can lift four days often, but if I only get in 2, I've hit my whole body heavy at least once that week. I force 2 days at the expense of everything. And I strive for days 3 and 4 and often get them in. I eat well enough to make cardio optional.

based on actual events jtaylor2010's Avatar
    jtaylor2010 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jtaylor2010 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jtaylor2010 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jtaylor2010 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jtaylor2010 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jtaylor2010 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jtaylor2010 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jtaylor2010 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jtaylor2010 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jtaylor2010 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jtaylor2010 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    All 3 of my kids are special needs. I really want to make time. Will i still get results with what little sleep I'm getting?

I also just posted a thread on this but I feel that it's easier for me to work out as soon as I wake up before I do everything else (shower, breakfast, get dressed...) will I get some good results if I at least eat as soon as I work out? My problem is that even just 20 minutes of exercise is such a huge production with all the prepping you gotta do. Isn't something better than nothing?
    If you're mainly trying to burn fat then less sleep and working out on an empty stomach won't really matter(other than your workout possibly suffering from low energy levels). If you're trying to add some muscle definition then less sleep will hurt. Bodies are built in the bed, so you'll have to find a decent balance between getting in exercise while not taking away too much recovery time.

That's one hell of a schedule though, so props for trying so hard to work in a routine. I'd suggest maybe just do a quick cardio session in the morning, then do what you're doing and focus on different groups while lifting cartons at work. So for example one night bend knees and lift with legs. Next night keep legs straight and do something similar to straight legged deadlifts. Twist entire body to activate core when placing boxes. Some nights focus more on using arm strength and upper back to lift them. Just some examples. That way you could get some personal time for yourself in the morning, then hit groups at night without even taking away time away from the other parts of your hectic schedule.
    +positive crew+
    -we all gonna make it, but what it is is up to you crew
    -all things in moderation, even political views crew
    -support local farms crew
    -try to do at least one good deed/day crew
    -less cursing the darkness and more lighting candles crew

Thanks, I requested to keep my schedule at 3 nights a week so I can get a full night sleep at some point during the week. I'll try what you suggested when stocking liquor and cleaning.

Originally Posted by jtaylor2010 View Post
    If you're mainly trying to burn fat then less sleep and working out on an empty stomach won't really matter(other than your workout possibly suffering from low energy levels). If you're trying to add some muscle definition then less sleep will hurt. Bodies are built in the bed, so you'll have to find a decent balance between getting in exercise while not taking away too much recovery time.

That's one hell of a schedule though, so props for trying so hard to work in a routine. I'd suggest maybe just do a quick cardio session in the morning, then do what you're doing and focus on different groups while lifting cartons at work. So for example one night bend knees and lift with legs. Next night keep legs straight and do something similar to straight legged deadlifts. Twist entire body to activate core when placing boxes. Some nights focus more on using arm strength and upper back to lift them. Just some examples. That way you could get some personal time for yourself in the morning, then hit groups at night without even taking away time away from the other parts of your hectic schedule.

SuperMomx4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SuperMomx4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SuperMomx4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SuperMomx4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SuperMomx4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SuperMomx4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SuperMomx4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SuperMomx4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SuperMomx4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SuperMomx4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SuperMomx4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I get results with little sleep but it is slow, recovery less, injured more and easier. My kids require some level of health care every couple hours around the clock so the reality is, my sleep is what it is for now. I really emphasize listening to your body. Regular recovery rules don't apply.
    My family's food prep escapades: How and what to feed bodybuilding marco counting parents, picky teenagers and allergic to everything kids!

www.********.com/JoannaFitnessFoods