PowerhouseJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Any Football or Track players out there ?

I'ma Sophomore in Highschool and I've only been playing football since 9th grade, so I was wondering if there's any Football or Track players out there that might have some fast working tips on how to increase my 40 yard-dash, I think I run about a 5.25 right now( which I know isn't real great ) but I was hoping to improve that to like somewhere around a 4.5 or 4.7 before Football season starts up again this fall. So, any tips ?

Raxcoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Raxcoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Raxcoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Raxcoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Raxcoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Raxcoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Raxcoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Raxcoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Raxcoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Raxcoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Raxcoe will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I play football right now I'm going to 9th grade. Last time I got it timed was around 2 months ago and it was a 5.3 handtimed. I play middle linebacker and I'm hoping to run a 4.9-4.8. Tips: Ive been doing alot of resistance running and it seems I've got faster I might run a low 5.2 now. Just giving you a bit of input.

Yeah, before the winter but after football was done I went out in my yard and tired 3 cinderblocks together and put a chain around them up to my waist and would try to sprint with them on , and it seemed like it helped a bit, I wanna get one of those para-shoot things that you put on , cause I think that might be what I need for some resistance. Last time mine was timed was at the beginning of last season and it was a 5.59 but around 3 months ago I had my friend time it and it was about 5.2 or so.

Raxcoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Raxcoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Raxcoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Raxcoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Raxcoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Raxcoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Raxcoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Raxcoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Raxcoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Raxcoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Raxcoe will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've been running with sleds.. It helps alot

bthomas11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bthomas11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bthomas11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bthomas11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bthomas11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bthomas11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bthomas11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bthomas11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bthomas11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bthomas11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bthomas11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    squats and get deep with it not half squats then do pilos where you jump on boxes and such also calves workout help. In highschool i ran a 4.5 40 machine timed and ran about a 11.1 100 i just did a lot of lifting in the weight room. Other lifts that might help dead lifts power cleans hamstring curls and leg extensions. then work on your starts. if you have a good start you can take .1 .2 seconds off which is huge in a 40.
    good luck though

fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by PowerhouseJ View Post
    I'ma Sophomore in Highschool and I've only been playing football since 9th grade, so I was wondering if there's any Football or Track players out there that might have some fast working tips on how to increase my 40 yard-dash, I think I run about a 5.25 right now( which I know isn't real great ) but I was hoping to improve that to like somewhere around a 4.5 or 4.7 before Football season starts up again this fall. So, any tips ?
    Don't take what I am about to write as pessimism, but going from 5.2 to 4.5 in the 40yd dash is not realistic. OK? Think about it for a second....a 4.5 is pretty much world-class level.

Now, with that said, it is possible to get to maybe a 5.0 or 4.9, with a lot of hard work, determination, and discipline. That's not gonna turn heads in itself, but it's not slow either. Keep in mind that there is more to improving your performance than just increasing your speed. Also, work on increasing strength, power, agility, reaction time (this is something that can turn an average player into a starter), and most important....GAME AWARENESS. You get better by playing the game or simulating game situations. Practice your specific position drills full contact every day! Or, at least every time you can.

Now for ways of increasing your speed:
    1)Squat or Trapbar DeadLift for strength (maximum effort) and dynamic strength (explosive speed reps with 60% of your 1 rep max); Perform the dynamic day on one day, then the max effort day 3 days later. Ex. Monday, then Thursday. Also, perform all the max effort work on the same training days and dynamic work on the same days. Ex: Monday (upperbody max effort) Tuesday (lowerbody max effort) Thursday (upperbody dynamic) Friday (lowerbody dynamic)
    2) Practice firing out of your stance for explosiveness, just as a Sprinter practices firing out of the blocks
    3) The very best drill I have ever seen actually work at increasing speed was running sets of sprints down an incline. It teaches your Nervous System to fire off the motor neurons responsible running. In other words, it develops the necessary motor pathways. Remember, you are teaching your body to move at a faster rate. The more you practice at this faster speed, the more your body will adapt and do as you wish. Anyway, Good Luck with your endeavors and don't give up. As I mentioned earlier, it will take a lot of work, and those that persevere reap the rewards.

JimboSlice123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JimboSlice123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JimboSlice123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JimboSlice123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JimboSlice123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JimboSlice123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JimboSlice123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JimboSlice123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JimboSlice123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JimboSlice123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JimboSlice123 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    you cannot train speed, the only was to increase is probably loose weight, one good exercise that you can try at the gym is dead tread, 1.) go on treadmill. 2.) start running (treadmill off) and once your at your fastest count down to 1 minute. Do 4 sets (WARNING :your probably going to throw up)

Originally Posted by fbcoach View Post
    Don't take what I am about to write as pessimism, but going from 5.2 to 4.5 in the 40yd dash is not realistic. OK? Think about it for a second....a 4.5 is pretty much world-class level.
    Well, I guess I did put that as a little high up goal, I'd want to run a 4.9 or around there for this next season, but by College I'd want to run a 4.5 or 4.45.

Thanks all you, I figure sorta what I was doing with the cinder blocks was like a sled, but I don't have a lot of access to things like sleds or other workout equipment for my legs, I'll have to look around my town for stuff to practice and train with lol.

Originally Posted by JimboSlice123 View Post
    you cannot train speed, the only was to increase is probably loose weight, one good exercise that you can try at the gym is dead tread, 1.) go on treadmill. 2.) start running (treadmill off) and once your at your fastest count down to 1 minute. Do 4 sets (WARNING :your probably going to throw up)
    I beg to differ, I think you can train speed, because all speed is, is fast twitch muscles and reaction time. I truly believe that a lot of strength just comes from the mind, if you honestly think you can do it, I think its possible to achieve the impossible, or close to. Someone like Marshawn Lynch tapping into "Beastmode" what I believe that is, is him tapping into his adrenaline, and adrenaline can times your strength by so much.
    But one of my life motos is the one of Mind over matter, and I think that's from Bruce Lee, but I can't remember for sure right now

Also, you can't say that losing weight will help, I mean, it will a little, but if you look at Maurice Jones Drew, he's 5'7" and 210 pounds, and he runs around a 4.39. Sure, he could've just been born with amazing speed, but you can't say that its all natural, cause you don't see people with chubby little legs running 4.39s. His legs are massive and I can guarantee you that that's a factor in him being that fast.

creatine_freak has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) creatine_freak has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) creatine_freak has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) creatine_freak has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) creatine_freak has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) creatine_freak has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) creatine_freak has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) creatine_freak has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) creatine_freak has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Football!!!!

JimboSlice123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JimboSlice123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JimboSlice123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JimboSlice123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JimboSlice123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JimboSlice123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JimboSlice123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JimboSlice123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JimboSlice123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JimboSlice123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JimboSlice123 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Also, you can't say that losing weight will help, I mean, it will a little, but if you look at Maurice Jones Drew, he's 5'7" and 210 pounds, and he runs around a 4.39. Sure, he could've just been born with amazing speed, but you can't say that its all natural, cause you don't see people with chubby little legs running 4.39s. His legs are massive and I can guarantee you that that's a factor in him being that fast.
    Ok do what ever you want. You not going to get a 4.5 when you run a 5.2. It's either you have it you dont. Also jones drew is big as **** hes not fat hes is cut. I was saying body fat. If a 300 lb fat person runs a mile in 20 mins and he looses 50 lbs don't you think he is goin to run faster? Just trying to help you. Don't take it the wrong way

Ok do what ever you want. You not going to get a 4.5 when you run a 5.2. It's either you have it you dont. Also jones drew is big as **** hes not fat hes is cut. I was saying body fat. If a 300 lb fat person runs a mile in 20 mins and he looses 50 lbs don't you think he is goin to run faster? Just trying to help you. Don't take it the wrong way
    Well yeah he's going to run faster, but I'm like 170, I don't have much fat to lose. But I'll look into the "dead tread" thing and maybe try that.

Ggoodenough has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ggoodenough has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Yah dude, I played linebacker, Quarterback, and reciever at my small highschool along with being the punter and kicker and both returners. lol But speed is everyting. I'm now a freshmen in college up in Oregon playing football running a 4.4 40 yard dash. To improve your 40 you can do a variety of work outs on the track, but what you need to focus on to improve your 40 is form and your glutes. Doing exercises to improve your glutes and your explosion out of the gate is key. These weightlifting exercises include include power cleans and dropping to the floor, and exploding back up. Definitely focus on more light weight and exploding out of your stance. Also focusing on your hamstrings is going to help you gain more ground on each step. And of course, using a parachute for resistance is also beneficial, but all of these exercises only promote linear running, you also have to focus on your lateral movement too. Be sure to keep everything balanced You can be the fastest guy in the world, but if you can't cut and turn up into the right gap in time then you might as well just run to the sideline.

MjAmos7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MjAmos7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MjAmos7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MjAmos7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MjAmos7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MjAmos7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MjAmos7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MjAmos7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MjAmos7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MjAmos7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MjAmos7 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Raxcoe View Post
    i second that sled drags and plate push works well.... GLUTE HAM RAISE THIS IS THE KEY TO BECOMING FAST SINCE 40% POWER COMES FROM THE GLUTES 25% FROM THE HAMMIES AND THE CALVES 5% THATS 70% OF YOUR SPEED
    A MAN WITH NO IMAGINATION HAS NO WINGS- ALI

Well yeah he's going to run faster, but I'm like 170, I don't have much fat to lose. But I'll look into the "dead tread" thing and maybe try that.
    Dead Tread is just one exercise, i go to a trainer for specific football training that trains D1 Athletes and Trained some NFL Athletes. Look for a place for football training. that do veritcal jump,40 yrd, combine stuff

DoubleDee12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Technique man. Form is the key to running a fast for 40 also a great start (acceleration). You want to hold your drive phase with your head down for the first 20 yards then slowly raise up and by the time you get to 30 yards you should be completely upright.

Collinbeloin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Collinbeloin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Collinbeloin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Collinbeloin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Collinbeloin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Collinbeloin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Collinbeloin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Collinbeloin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Collinbeloin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Collinbeloin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Collinbeloin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The kid who said you can't train speed is a retard. Don't take anything he says into account. Focus on lifts involving the legs, and speed increases also can come from stronger hamstrings because many athletes have weak/underdeveloped hams when they are young. Also focus on plyos and form correction for running to improve time and speed

Collinbeloin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Collinbeloin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Collinbeloin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Collinbeloin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Collinbeloin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Collinbeloin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Collinbeloin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Collinbeloin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Collinbeloin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Collinbeloin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Collinbeloin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Also losing weight won't garuntee makin you faster neither does you body fat percent have much to do with your speed. Look at the nfl lineman at the combine this year who weighed I think over 280 lbs, wasn't cut at all and ran under a 4.7.

PervedOut has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) PervedOut has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) PervedOut has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) PervedOut has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) PervedOut has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) PervedOut has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) PervedOut has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) PervedOut has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) PervedOut has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) PervedOut has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) PervedOut has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I found in another thread that 10 yard wind sprints x10 works well and is adding to my speed/endurance
    Ohio State Crew
    Cavs
    Indians
    Browns
    DSM Crew

SwoleJuice is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SwoleJuice is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SwoleJuice is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SwoleJuice is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SwoleJuice is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SwoleJuice is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SwoleJuice is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SwoleJuice is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SwoleJuice is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SwoleJuice is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SwoleJuice is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    4.5 is world class? Atleast 10 people at my school run that. All times were at a combine.
    Squat - 315 x 4, 355 x 1
    Bench - 225 x 5, 245 x 1
    Dead - 405 x 5 TnG, 425 x 2, 435 x 1

Lifts At 162lbs. - Finally in the 1000lbs club.

4.5 isn't world class its elite though for high school though. If they're handtimed then I would say that it's not a legit 4.5 as well

BigDawg69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigDawg69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigDawg69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigDawg69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigDawg69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigDawg69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigDawg69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigDawg69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigDawg69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigDawg69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigDawg69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Raxcoe View Post
    just make sure to use 10% of your bodyweight or less for top speed so you form doesnt break down, if you are working on acceleration heavy weight is fine

your a dumbass if you put on 15lbs of muscle and had the same amount of fat you would be much much faster and treadmill is terrible for 40 time since a 40 is all acceleration. Anyone can increase their speed just increase your relative strength

Originally Posted by SwoleJuice View Post
    4.5 is world class? Atleast 10 people at my school run that. All times were at a combine.
    if you run a 4.5 and are of average size you would be almost guaranteed a d1 scholarship just for that srs, im gunna say those were hand times or their frauding their times

Rugger w/ a throwing prob xxtwistedxx's Avatar
    xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    cant train speed you say??? brb going to tell my sprinters theyre wasting time and I will see them at conference day.

perhaps something else was meant by that but regardless...not right.

speed is just force output. increase stride length and frequency and guess what? you will go faster. a lot is mechanics which is tough to go over on a discussion board. but the easiest way is to improve force output. squats are used to develop strength but not speed (unless its speed squats or a similar variation), sprints will develop speed but not much towards strength, anything with resistance (sleds, oly lifts, hills, wind, etc.) will help develop POWER.

also its important when training to not just train the entire body but also to look at low rep but powerful sets. not like a bodybuilder or even a powerlifter. the idea is to upgrade the engine without building a bigger frame. unless you need to get bigger for football but running fast in a straight line is all about power to weight ratio. even though you may get stronger if you are also getting heavier then you need to be even stronger still to accommodate the added weight. so cutting weight has some merit to it however at 170 you are right there is not much left.
    ACE-PT, NSCA, USATF-1
    danprater.blogspot.com - blog for everything related to throws, rugby, training, etc. and stuff that isnt.

Youtube
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ubertoss2000

Throwers
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=122693921