Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Prove you're worth a damn DJohnson's Avatar
    DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000)
    Ok, my tl;dr is: With the same calories equal weight is lost and probably equal LBM is preserved with protein kept the same. With that being said some studies show keto at least has better adherence therefore there is some benefit even if it is just better hunger hormone control. I would assume the study posted had more weight lost from keto because the people were less likely to cheat on it.

I've also seen studies showing the group that did keto were more likely to keep the fat off. I looked for this study but couldn't find it, I apologize.
    Also have seen studies showing people rate their hunger much lower out of ten when on the same calories keto vs. standard diet.

Anything works, keto just may make it easier for some people. If IIFYM with a high carb diet works for you then go for it, if you're having trouble with hunger/cravings plenty of other things to try like keto. Not much else to be said.
    Last edited by DJohnson; 04-19-2012 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Clarified the IIFYM part.
    History: Mar, 2001: 135lbs @ ~14% | Nov, 2004: 245lbs @ ~40% | Dec, 2006: 168lbs @ 5.5%ish | Nov, 2008: 177lbs @ 5.5%ish | Dec, 2016: 179lbs

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by DJohnson View Post
    Anything works, keto just may make it easier for some people. If IIFYM works for you then go for it, if you're having trouble with hunger/cravings plenty of other things to try like keto.
    If you follow keto, then you're using an IIFYM's approach.

Nimm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nimm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nimm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nimm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nimm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nimm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nimm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nimm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nimm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nimm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nimm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by rollei View Post
    BIA shure is not a very accurate way of measuring, but it was used equally across all individuals, so the discrepancy should've been made all across the board. Furter the diference in fat loss was not small ... i really don't believe BIA should be that inacurate
    I wouldn't assume that any BIA inaccuracies would be consistent across groups. A ketogenic diet is almost certainly going to reduce the amount of water in your body, particularly compared to a diet with carbohydrate. That's going to have an effect on a BIA measurement.

20,68 of fat loss for keto compared to 10,56 on a regular diet, that's almost two times. as i said, the research was made with obese males, i really wanted to see a more accurate resarch made in athletic male individuals with low BF. do you happen to know one?
    The controlled, metabolic ward studies I've seen don't show a significant advantage for a ketogenic diet on body fat loss (but no disadvantage either). Don't remember off the top of my head if any were restricted to low bodyfat subjects. I'll check later and post if I have one saved (not at the right PC now).
    Last edited by Nimm; 04-19-2012 at 02:37 PM.
    Think you can, think you can't - doesn't matter. Either way, you're right.

Prove you're worth a damn DJohnson's Avatar
    DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by WonderPug View Post
    If you follow keto, then you're using an IIFYM's approach.
    For sure! I worded that poorly. I'll fix it. I was just responding to the original question of:

Originally Posted by Al.Capone View Post
    First of all I just want to say that I understand that the fundamental principle of weight change is calories in vs. calories out.....

So, why do I see low carb diets being eaten and talked about in everyday general life as well as the gym?
    History: Mar, 2001: 135lbs @ ~14% | Nov, 2004: 245lbs @ ~40% | Dec, 2006: 168lbs @ 5.5%ish | Nov, 2008: 177lbs @ 5.5%ish | Dec, 2016: 179lbs

germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    what? so training fasted do not affect perfomace in the gym?

cons IF:

- training fasted
    - hard to maintain diet
    - fasting
    1. Some people perform better when train fasted.
    2. Some people find it easier to maintain as it fits their lifestyle better
    3. Some people do not have a problem with fasting. Large part of it is sleep and larger meals in short time frame help feel fuller throughout the day.

has no use for a name n0useforaname's Avatar
    n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000) n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000) n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000) n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000) n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000) n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000) n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000) n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000) n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000) n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000) n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000)
    what? so training fasted do not affect perfomace in the gym?

cons IF:

- training fasted
    - hard to maintain diet
    - fasting
    Umm.... doing IF doesn't mean you train fasted... actually you don't train fasted at all... you either take BCAA's before hand, whey shake, or eat an actual meal that is 20-25% of your daily caloric intake 2 hours before. And hard to maintain diet? Hardly... from when I wake up at 6:00 a.m. until I eat at 1:00 p.m., I'm not even remotely hungry at all.... And fasting for 16 hours is hardly a fast in my eyes... I was eating every 2-3 hours for about 5 weeks straight, then decided to switch over to IF to try it out to fit my changing schedule... Never got hungry, my workout actually improved, I feel more focused and energetic during the morning/noon hours, and eating at night is amazing.. I pound down a 1500 cal meal post workout then another 600 cal meal before bed that contains the majority of my fats for the day.. I'm never hungry, mostly so full I couldn't think of food, and I feel better. Plus on Fri. nights and weekends if I decide to go out to eat, I can.... 1500 cals is nice to eat in one sitting.

A couple of my close friends did the whole carb cutting diets, and I couldn't understand why because yes... they did lose faster but good lord... tired all the time, moody, started to hate lifting, constantly craved pizza, etc.. On my diet I crave something I eat it.. and still cut just as fast.

But anyways, not that it really matters because everybody is different and everyone has something that works better for them. I just prefer to get a balanced diet of carbs, fat, and protein and I'm never hungry.. and I did eat all the time and IF... both are fine for me, but IF is yielding a better attitude to me personally, and more energy in the gym.
    Learning something new here every single day... and I'm still not sure if I understand : /

Muuuse will become famous soon enough. (+50) Muuuse will become famous soon enough. (+50) Muuuse will become famous soon enough. (+50) Muuuse will become famous soon enough. (+50) Muuuse will become famous soon enough. (+50) Muuuse will become famous soon enough. (+50) Muuuse will become famous soon enough. (+50) Muuuse will become famous soon enough. (+50) Muuuse will become famous soon enough. (+50) Muuuse will become famous soon enough. (+50) Muuuse will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I use IIFYM, and have had great results.

My diet is still mainly Chicken, Oats, Brown Rice and Vegetables. In fact that's pretty much all I eat everyday, as I am on quite a low caloric deficit. However, If I have reached my 160g of Protein, and 80g of fat everyday, and still have 400kcals left, I'll happily go along and grab a donut/cake that contains no benefits, other than to satiate me and make me happy(as long as it is under 400kcals).

If anything, worrying about what you eat too much will have worse side effects. Your stress levels will increase, which in turn means that your cortisol levels will spike- leading to breakdown of muscle tissue.