Page 1 of 50 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Redfizz is just really nice. (+1000) Redfizz is just really nice. (+1000) Redfizz is just really nice. (+1000) Redfizz is just really nice. (+1000) Redfizz is just really nice. (+1000) Redfizz is just really nice. (+1000) Redfizz is just really nice. (+1000) Redfizz is just really nice. (+1000) Redfizz is just really nice. (+1000) Redfizz is just really nice. (+1000) Redfizz is just really nice. (+1000)

Cool There's No Whining When Getting Sexy!

I am enjoying working out so much! And after reading my old thread, I realized how much of a whiney-butt I was when I initially started. No more! I am here to do the work and go from Blech to Bam!

Goal: Be able to wear a bikini when we buy a boat next summer (2013).

I would appreciate any advice and encouragement as I work my butt off.

Stats (as of today):
    Waist: 30"
    Height: 5'3.5"
    Weight: 147.6
    BMI: 31.2%

Below is a copy of some posts from my old thread for documentation sake:

I pushed myself and worked my hiney off yesterday! (It was my second workout.) It took about an hour - probably because I haven't gotten into the rhythm yet - and I did two sets rather than one. Just as advised on this site, by the last one or two reps, I was barely able to get the weights up. I am a little sore, but nothing like my first night of exercise.

Oh! And my weight & BMI actually dropped this morning. This is unheard of for me; usually it bounces because my body is hoarding water. *So happy* And I woke up hungry, which was good.

I had two paradigm shifts yesterday:

1. Macro vs micro nutrients. This was a new concept for me. After spending a couple hours on here reading threads and sticky's, I finally understand that macros are proteins, carbs, fats; and micros are the vitamins, minerals, etc. I have always focused on micronutrients but never really paid much attention to macros. Now that I am watching my macros, I am adjusting my diet thanks to tracking it. For example, I found that my protein percentage was not as high as it should be yesterday, so I brought almonds to work today as a snack rather than a banana.

2. Cardio vs. weight lifting for fat burning. I had "cardio to burn off fat" beat into my head, and you all have beat it out. I am finally understanding why those who build muscle (and watch what they eat) burn fat more efficiently than those who rely solely on cardio. What I am finding is that cardio to losing fat = gas to a fire. It burns really quickly, looks great, and is intense, but it only lasts as long as the gas lasts. The wood generally remains once the fire dies out. However, muscle to losing fat = hot embers to a fire. They keep the fire going, but it is a constant, even-burn that continues to burn so long as it is periodically stoked (and the act of weight lifting stokes it). Eventually the wood slowly disappears into the red hot embers.

Also, I am really grateful for another concept on this site: No one talks about losing weight; rather everyone talks about losing fat. I need quit paying as much attention to the pounds on my scale and start focusing on the BMI on the scale.

My honey's copy of New Rules of Lifting [for men] comes tomorrow. He's really excited! And my copy of New Rules of Lifting for Women comes Thursday. He used to be friends with 4-time Mr. State X body builder winner, and when I told him what the basic concepts of the books were (based on what I read here and on reviews), which was to focus on the fundamentals before focusing on isolating, he was really excited since that was exactly what his friend had taught him. So the book already has some credibility to him. Hooray!

Current diet:
    Here is yesterday's meals to give you an idea of what I ate:

Breakfast:
    Smoothie (apples, strawberries, pineapple, raspberries, pomegranite juice)

Snack:
    Brown rice
    Dulse flakes
    Nori sheet
    Slice of salmon lox

Lunch:
    Salad (spinach and herb mix, cucumber, carrots, heirloom tomato, butter lettuce)
    1/4 avocado
    Can of wild Alaskan salmon
    Homemade honey mustard dressing (olive oil, vinegar, mustard, dijon mustard)

Dinner:
    Homemade pumpkin & sweet potato soup (includes onion, asparagus, etc.)
    Slice of procuitto di parma
    1/2 glass of red wine

Snack:
    Dehydrated onion chips

Total Calories: 1300
    Carbs: 167
    Fat: 31
    Protein: 60

(I realize I need to get my calories up, which I am working on.)
    Last edited by Redfizz; 04-18-2012 at 07:44 AM.

Redfizz is just really nice. (+1000) Redfizz is just really nice. (+1000) Redfizz is just really nice. (+1000) Redfizz is just really nice. (+1000) Redfizz is just really nice. (+1000) Redfizz is just really nice. (+1000) Redfizz is just really nice. (+1000) Redfizz is just really nice. (+1000) Redfizz is just really nice. (+1000) Redfizz is just really nice. (+1000) Redfizz is just really nice. (+1000)
    Today was my third workout, and it wasn't as tough as my first two, but it still kicks my hiney! My New Rules of Lifting for Women came yesterday. Yeah! I already like the approach that they take. They first dispel the myths and replace them with truths. Some of the exercises in the book look really challenging. Holy cow!

My honey took my before pictures today, and all I can say is I am still laughing - at myself. I reported in my BodySpace that I am 147.8lbs with ~32% body fat knowing that when I posted my before pictures I would have a slew of folks chime in and say, "Oh, there's no way that can be 32%! You must be a lot of muscle." Well, the camera doesn't lie, and my body truly is ~32% body fat. Haha. Darn. I will be posting my before pic within the next day or so. I am so determined to do things right this go around, and for the first time I understand that it's not some 6-week program like the infomercial workouts promise. This is a serious, long-term commitment.

One of the things that is really inspiring me is my honey's friend, Mr. State X, had 30% more bone density at 45 years of age than a mid-20s man. Wow!

My next work out will be Sunday. Hopefully by then I will have finished NROLFW and will have a great idea as to what I need to do. I will be following their program for the next six months. Wish me luck!

Progress not perfection PunkyCindy's Avatar
    PunkyCindy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PunkyCindy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PunkyCindy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PunkyCindy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PunkyCindy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PunkyCindy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PunkyCindy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PunkyCindy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PunkyCindy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PunkyCindy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PunkyCindy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Redfizz View Post
    Today was my third workout, and it wasn't as tough as my first two, but it still kicks my hiney! My New Rules of Lifting for Women came yesterday. Yeah! I already like the approach that they take. They first dispel the myths and replace them with truths. Some of the exercises in the book look really challenging. Holy cow!

My honey took my before pictures today, and all I can say is I am still laughing - at myself. I reported in my BodySpace that I am 147.8lbs with ~32% body fat knowing that when I posted my before pictures I would have a slew of folks chime in and say, "Oh, there's no way that can be 32%! You must be a lot of muscle." Well, the camera doesn't lie, and my body truly is ~32% body fat. Haha. Darn. I will be posting my before pic within the next day or so. I am so determined to do things right this go around, and for the first time I understand that it's not some 6-week program like the infomercial workouts promise. This is a serious, long-term commitment.

One of the things that is really inspiring me is my honey's friend, Mr. State X, had 30% more bone density at 45 years of age than a mid-20s man. Wow!

My next work out will be Sunday. Hopefully by then I will have finished NROLFW and will have a great idea as to what I need to do. I will be following their program for the next six months. Wish me luck!
    good luck
    Hi, I'm Crystal :)
    Fat Loss Log - https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180898713&p=1652556253#post1652556253
    11/18/2022 - Starting to fight again. - 275 lbs (highest was 279 lbs)

Red face 30" > Waist! & I refuse to wear Spanx!

Thanks, PunkyCindy! That always pumps me up.

Today I found out that my waist is now 29.5"!!! Woo!!!! It has been more than two years since my waist was in the 20's.

Today was a rest day for me. My knee hurt a lot yesterday after the leg extensions. I had a lateral release on my left knee almost 10 years ago, and it's never been the same. I am going to have to figure out how to get just as much exercise out of it without straining it. It felt bruised under my knee-cap. But it feels fine today. Any insight into weightlifting with a knee injury is welcome!

I realized today that one reason I am doing this is because I refuse to wear Spanx! To me that is the sign I have given up; I might as well throw on the sweats. lol.

I am still reading New Rules for Lifting for Women. I am really looking forward to implementing it.

LegallyBlondee is a name known to all. (+5000) LegallyBlondee is a name known to all. (+5000) LegallyBlondee is a name known to all. (+5000) LegallyBlondee is a name known to all. (+5000) LegallyBlondee is a name known to all. (+5000) LegallyBlondee is a name known to all. (+5000) LegallyBlondee is a name known to all. (+5000) LegallyBlondee is a name known to all. (+5000) LegallyBlondee is a name known to all. (+5000) LegallyBlondee is a name known to all. (+5000) LegallyBlondee is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Good luck girl!! A bikini is a fantastic motivator
    *LF Chat Crew*
    *Lawyer Crew*
    ++Positive Crew++

Thanks, Blondee!

Today was my second rest day in a row, and my hamstrings and glutes ached! It really surprised me. My weight is a constant 147.8lbs. Better constant than up I suppose.

There actually might be snow tomorrow about 100 miles or so from us! Thank goodness getting sexy doesn't require incessant cardio, so I don't have to worry about going out tomorrow. In fact, I keep having more and more epiphanies as I study more. For example, my extremely overweight mother even had a pool put in and she did water aerobics non-stop. And yet she never lost weight. Thanks to this site, I realize it's because she wasn't building muscle that would burn her fat; also, she eats southern-comfort foods and after seeing the cardio vs diet series on YouTube, I get it. Diet does matter.

I am sleeping so much better already! I look forward to sleeping in tomorrow and waking up to the cold weather and listening to the drizzle of rain. I work out tomorrow. Until then!

RedZaftig is on a distinguished road. (+10) RedZaftig is on a distinguished road. (+10) RedZaftig is on a distinguished road. (+10) RedZaftig is on a distinguished road. (+10) RedZaftig is on a distinguished road. (+10) RedZaftig is on a distinguished road. (+10) RedZaftig is on a distinguished road. (+10) RedZaftig is on a distinguished road. (+10) RedZaftig is on a distinguished road. (+10) RedZaftig is on a distinguished road. (+10) RedZaftig is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Diet does matter.
    ^^This. All the best on your journey to getting sexy I will be along for the ride *subbed*
    In the immortal words of The Doors, 'The time to hesitate is through.'

LegallyBlondee is a name known to all. (+5000) LegallyBlondee is a name known to all. (+5000) LegallyBlondee is a name known to all. (+5000) LegallyBlondee is a name known to all. (+5000) LegallyBlondee is a name known to all. (+5000) LegallyBlondee is a name known to all. (+5000) LegallyBlondee is a name known to all. (+5000) LegallyBlondee is a name known to all. (+5000) LegallyBlondee is a name known to all. (+5000) LegallyBlondee is a name known to all. (+5000) LegallyBlondee is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Thanks, Blondee!

Today was my second rest day in a row, and my hamstrings and glutes ached! It really surprised me. My weight is a constant 147.8lbs. Better constant than up I suppose.

There actually might be snow tomorrow about 100 miles or so from us! Thank goodness getting sexy doesn't require incessant cardio, so I don't have to worry about going out tomorrow. In fact, I keep having more and more epiphanies as I study more. For example, my extremely overweight mother even had a pool put in and she did water aerobics non-stop. And yet she never lost weight. Thanks to this site, I realize it's because she wasn't building muscle that would burn her fat; also, she eats southern-comfort foods and after seeing the cardio vs diet series on YouTube, I get it. Diet does matter.

I am sleeping so much better already! I look forward to sleeping in tomorrow and waking up to the cold weather and listening to the drizzle of rain. I work out tomorrow. Until then!
    LOVE sleeping when it's raining out lol so relaxing. Today is my day off from the gym too- enjoy it
    *LF Chat Crew*
    *Lawyer Crew*
    ++Positive Crew++

MelnCrash will become famous soon enough. (+50) MelnCrash will become famous soon enough. (+50) MelnCrash will become famous soon enough. (+50) MelnCrash will become famous soon enough. (+50) MelnCrash will become famous soon enough. (+50) MelnCrash will become famous soon enough. (+50) MelnCrash will become famous soon enough. (+50) MelnCrash will become famous soon enough. (+50) MelnCrash will become famous soon enough. (+50) MelnCrash will become famous soon enough. (+50) MelnCrash will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Good luck with your goals Redfizz!

I am in a similar situation to you. Also around 32% body fat and finding it hard to get that calorie restriction idea out of my head! One day we will get there!

Thanks all! I totally agree with you, MelnCrash - we have had "calorie restriction" beat into our head by Weight Watchers and other organizations. I was just telling my honey that I now understand why the weight comes back after "dieting". It's because it's temporary. Whereas building muscle builds is like constructing a power plant in our bodies that devour our fat and produces a lot of energy. Who knew?

My honey's friend, Mr. State X bodybuilder, never paid attention to calories; rather he paid attention to macro nutrients. And he couldn't eat enough because his metabolism was revved so high. His wife eventually decided to build muscle years later and the only thing she changed about her diet is she quit eating fast food. She kept making fried chicken at home and the like, and in 6 months she had lost 30lbs (obviously she lost more than that in fat, but the overall weight was offset by the muscle she gained).

I am just continually in awe of just how wrong I was about weight. I guess that would only make sense since I was never able to lose any except through juice fasting. lol

Today I was 146.6. That's a 1.2 lb drop, but I remembered that two days ago I had some tamari (soy sauce), so I am sure that the weight loss is water weight as the sodium leaves my body.

But here's what is fantastic: I have been mindfully increasing my calories - something that contradicts every talking head on TV - and not only has my weight not gone up, it's kind of gone down!!! I still need to get my calories a bit higher, and that's happening slowly but surely.

I worked my butt off today! I actually just melted to the ground with my last rep of dips using the chair (it was one of my last exercises). Hopefully this means I am doing things correctly since it seems I should barely be able to do the last couple of reps in order to break down the muscle so it will rebuild.

I have been doing the whole body three times a week, and I think that's too much; I don't think I am giving my muscles time to recover. I haven't had a chance to read NROLFW since I am working on my thesis proposal (blech!), but I did see where they suggest an alternating workout A & B schedule. I may switch to that. Both my upper and lower body burn right now! And it feels GREAT! I want to make sure I do things right so I can keep it up.

kelly9306 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kelly9306 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kelly9306 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kelly9306 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kelly9306 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kelly9306 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kelly9306 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kelly9306 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kelly9306 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kelly9306 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kelly9306 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Title is now my new motto, love it!

Red face Why buy a dress now when it won't fit in a few months?

Haha! Glad you like it. It's my mantra when I am pushing through, and I had to keep repeating it over and over again by the end of my workout yesterday.

I am sore all over, and it feels so good. I actually had another .5lb drop! I am not sure if this normal, but I'm sure not complaining!

Yesterday I only got to 1000 calories, which surprised me. I felt like I was eating everything. I told my honey that I needed another 1000 calories to meet my daily caloric intake and that there's a nice bottle of wine in the fridge and a nice bar of Lindt's sea salt chocolate in the cabinet that would do the trick, and he replied, "Nice try."

It's back to my regular meals today. I was going to buy a new dress this weekend, but I figured that there was no point since it wouldn't fit in a few months. So I used the money to get our pup a (pretty crazy Beauty Rest) dog bed since sometime in April is her birthday. She loves it! Unfortunately she wakes up well rested now and goes straight into Personal Trainer Mode demanding to be walked in the morning.

Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000)
    But here's what is fantastic: I have been mindfully increasing my calories - something that contradicts every talking head on TV - and not only has my weight not gone up, it's kind of gone down!!! I still need to get my calories a bit higher, and that's happening slowly but surely.
    Ah yes.. welcome to the bandwagon of proper fueling !

It takes a little while to get used to - but as soon as you start EXPERIENCING the effects of how it works, the more you will trust what you are doing
    Very cool to see whats going on here... I like this journey

Right now it doesn't matter what the results will be.
    Whats more important is that you test the waters. You share the story.. you add a different aspect to your recovery..

Leap and the net will appear..

BBC's Supersize vs. Superskinny

It's funny you mention that, Megin. I am usually lethargic, but I am finding that since trying to increase my calories, I have a lot more energy! In fact, I started watching BBC's Supersize vs Superskinny via YouTube. (Warning! There is nudity, so don't try watching it at work!!!) They take an extraordinarily overweight and an extraordinarily underweight person and have them eat each others diets for 5 days. Then the doctor has a 3-month diet plan that is basically the same, and the skinny person gains a modest amount of weight and the overweight person (usually) loses a tremendous amount.

The one thing that stood out to me was that the underweight people were eating about the same amount of calories as I had been (800-1200), and as soon as they begin to eat more, they always report having "more energy". This is also the show that inspired me to start weight lifting, because it takes a real look at how being "undernourished" affects the body and what it really looks like. In fact, an underweight girl in her 20s had the hip bones of a 60-year-old woman since she didn't get enough nutrition. What did the doctor prescribe to rebuild her bones? Weight lifting!

Today I am HUNGRY! And it's only the second week! I know that I build muscle quickly, but can an appetite ramp up so quickly? I am not complaining at all, since I am still trying to get my calories up.

My lower abdomen was so sore yesterday - a rest day. I have never been able to work those muscles, but the Body Solid machine that we purchased has the Captain's Chair mechanism. The first time I did it, I simply raised my knees when doing the obliques. Then I figured out that if I raise my entire lower body when twisted, my obliques and nearly my entire core is worked out! Whew!

Tonight is a workout night for me. I am ready to be made into putty by pushing myself. I am ready!

I did my workout yesterday, which included the captain's chair. My lower abdomen hurts. In fact, every time I laughed last night, it was followed by an "Ouch!"

My arms and legs hurt so good.

Generally, working is just fun. Who knew? I am still reading New Rules for Lifting for Women. I really like it so far. Today is my rest day.

Until tomorrow!

Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The one thing that stood out to me was that the underweight people were eating about the same amount of calories as I had been (800-1200), and as soon as they begin to eat more, they always report having "more energy".
    Naturally
    The definition of 'calorie' basically means energy
    So, the more you'd eat, the more 'energy' you'd have (granted, there is a point of diminishing returns )

Good learnings in here Red
    Keep doing your own research, asking questions, experimenting, and testing the waters to see what works for you
    Right now it doesn't matter what the results will be.
    Whats more important is that you test the waters. You share the story.. you add a different aspect to your recovery..

Leap and the net will appear..

Smile Keen Cuisine: The Whey to Go

I appreciate the encouragement, Megin! It definitely helps me to keep going.

As a newbie, I am confused about this whole whey proteins and know very little about it. So a friend referred me to a great article in Psychology Today called "Keen Cuisinie: The Whey to Go," by Rose Pastore, published on 1 November 2011. (I would post a link, but I cannot do that - and understandably so. )

It covers studies that compared the results of drinking whey proteins, soy, and water. Those that drank whey had a significantly better weight and a smaller waist. It also seems to help with satiety.

Anyway, you can Google it. It's a great article (especially for newbies like me), and I am now willing to give it a shot!

I did my workout yesterday, which included the captain's chair. My lower abdomen hurts. In fact, every time I laughed last night, it was followed by an "Ouch!"

My arms and legs hurt so good.

Generally, working is just fun. Who knew? I am still reading New Rules for Lifting for Women. I really like it so far. Today is my rest day.

Until tomorrow!
    Isn't that the best feeling?? It means you worked your a** off
    *LF Chat Crew*
    *Lawyer Crew*
    ++Positive Crew++

gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    A HA! In!
    Team Cookies Give You Superpowers

Current Journal: Adventure Time with Turkey
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170094463&p=1489770341#post1489770341

My Super Awesome SNS log- Lori Battles the Holiday Pudge (Finished):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=140145363&page=2

"She's not overtraining- she just trains stupid" -Kimm4

~~~Noodle Arms~~~

I just finished tonight's work out, and my arms are noodles! My workouts are getting a bit easier, but the last 2-3 reps of each exercise are still a struggle. My honey's friend, Mr. State X bodybuilder, gave him the following advice: When starting out, stay at the same weight for a month before increasing the weight - this will allow the rest of your body to catch up with the muscle increase. He learned this lesson the hard way, because after winning a couple state-level competitions, his tendon tore from his bone. His muscles increased quickly, but his tendons did not adjust as quickly. So he said that going a bit slower with the process would allow our tendons to strengthen as well.

To be honest, this is the first time that I am not trying to get quick results and am ready to dedicate myself for the long haul. So I am willing to follow his guidance and do things the right way.

I am up to 1500+ calories! I am still working towards 2000. And what's the most fabulous part? My weight is stable! And my waist is still 29.5" - even though I am actually starting to eat like a normal human being!

I do need advice though. I have done about as much research as I possibly can regarding whey proteins using both the bb forum as well as other sources. First, are there really benefits to using this stuff? I mean, some of the claims that companies make about their proteins seem like I should have rainbows shooting out of my bum as I float off in a muscular weightlessness.

Second, I have narrowed it down to Optimum Nutrition or MaxPro. Any thoughts or suggestions? I try to do research before pinging you all, but I am at a loss right now.

Thank you so much!

The next two days are rest days. Hooray!
    (Sorry, my posts won't stay this long for much longer. I am still in the learning phase right now.)

gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hahaha! I know- the way supplements are marketed is ridiculous! But protein powder is just an easier/possibly tastier way of getting your protein in. It doesn't matter what kind it is, or if you consume it at all. Your protein intake is all that matters

I tried ON before and I thought it was a good all around protein that tasted decent and mixed well. Not outstanding, but not bad. I haven't tried the other one.
    Team Cookies Give You Superpowers

Current Journal: Adventure Time with Turkey
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170094463&p=1489770341#post1489770341

My Super Awesome SNS log- Lori Battles the Holiday Pudge (Finished):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=140145363&page=2

"She's not overtraining- she just trains stupid" -Kimm4

So many "!", but I am so darn excited!

Originally Posted by gobbles23 View Post
    Hahaha! I know- the way supplements are marketed is ridiculous! But protein powder is just an easier/possibly tastier way of getting your protein in. It doesn't matter what kind it is, or if you consume it at all. Your protein intake is all that matters
    Now I understand! I guess what I could do is drink it when on days that I don't have fish since it's harder for me to make my protein goals on those days. Thanks!

Today we took pup for a 4-mile hike, and she did so well! Since we got her December, I have walked her nearly every day, put her on a raw diet, and today she's in SUCH good shape.

Oh! My lower belly is actually going down!!! When I was skinny fat, I still had the pooch and could never get rid of it. I was actually planning on getting liposuction next year (and my honey wanted lipo on his belly, too); now we're talking about how we can use the lipo money to buy a boat instead - and I can wear a bikini even without the lipo!!!!

Why did I wait so long to start lifting? *palm to forehead* I am completely sold!

Progress not perfection PunkyCindy's Avatar
    PunkyCindy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PunkyCindy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PunkyCindy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PunkyCindy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PunkyCindy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PunkyCindy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PunkyCindy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PunkyCindy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PunkyCindy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PunkyCindy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PunkyCindy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Now I understand! I guess what I could do is drink it when on days that I don't have fish since it's harder for me to make my protein goals on those days. Thanks!

Today we took pup for a 4-mile hike, and she did so well! Since we got her December, I have walked her nearly every day, put her on a raw diet, and today she's in SUCH good shape.

Oh! My lower belly is actually going down!!! When I was skinny fat, I still had the pooch and could never get rid of it. I was actually planning on getting liposuction next year (and my honey wanted lipo on his belly, too); now we're talking about how we can use the lipo money to buy a boat instead - and I can wear a bikini even without the lipo!!!!

Why did I wait so long to start lifting? *palm to forehead* I am completely sold!
    congrats on all your progress. The protein powder def. makes it easier to his protein goals without going over on cals....for me anyway. have a great day!
    Hi, I'm Crystal :)
    Fat Loss Log - https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180898713&p=1652556253#post1652556253
    11/18/2022 - Starting to fight again. - 275 lbs (highest was 279 lbs)

Before picture finally posted

Thanks PunkyCindy!

I finally did it: My before pic is posted (which is my avatar right now). It was taken a little over two weeks ago. My honey said my tummy and sides are already going in, but he could just be a sweet honey by saying that.

As you can see, I definitely have a pear shape. Before coming here, I used to think I could target my thighs and belly; however, I now realize that the main principle is just building muscle, which will do it's thing with the fat. (By the way, I have since purchased a more supportive sports bra. )

I just can't get over the fact that I am actually patient about the long haul of this process, and I really have to give credit to many of the women on here who look fabulous, because you've stuck with it.

By the way, I bought a bag of Rainbow Light's Protein Whey Energizer. It costs and arm and a leg, but it is soy-free, gluten-free, sugar-free, lactose-free, dairy-free, wheat-free and yeast-free. It is 100% natural with no artificial colors, flavors sweeteners, preservatives or additives. *Whew!* It doesn't taste terrible with the vanilla flavor. I guess it tastes like vanilla-flavored cardboard?

Thanks to those who helped me understand the purpose of protein shakes; I will only be drinking it on days that I cannot make my protein goals and/or after I have worked out.
    Last edited by Redfizz; 04-28-2012 at 09:10 AM.

RedZaftig is on a distinguished road. (+10) RedZaftig is on a distinguished road. (+10) RedZaftig is on a distinguished road. (+10) RedZaftig is on a distinguished road. (+10) RedZaftig is on a distinguished road. (+10) RedZaftig is on a distinguished road. (+10) RedZaftig is on a distinguished road. (+10) RedZaftig is on a distinguished road. (+10) RedZaftig is on a distinguished road. (+10) RedZaftig is on a distinguished road. (+10) RedZaftig is on a distinguished road. (+10)

By the way, I bought a bag of Rainbow Light's Protein Whey Energizer. It costs and arm and a leg, but it is soy-free, gluten-free, sugar-free, lactose-free, dairy-free, wheat-free and yeast-free. It is 100% natural with no artificial colors, flavors sweeteners, preservatives or additives. *Whew!* It doesn't taste terrible with the vanilla flavor. I guess it tastes like vanilla-flavored cardboard?

Thanks to those who helped me understand the purpose of protein shakes; I will only be drinking it on days that I cannot make my protein goals and/or after I have worked out.
    lol @ cardboard comment. Sounds like pretty good stuff! I may have to change brands too
    In the immortal words of The Doors, 'The time to hesitate is through.'

swooshie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) swooshie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) swooshie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) swooshie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) swooshie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) swooshie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) swooshie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) swooshie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) swooshie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) swooshie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) swooshie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thanks PunkyCindy!

I finally did it: My before pic is posted (which is my avatar right now). It was taken a little over two weeks ago. My honey said my tummy and sides are already going in, but he could just be a sweet honey by saying that.

As you can see, I definitely have a pear shape. Before coming here, I used to think I could target my thighs and belly; however, I now realize that the main principle is just building muscle, which will do it's thing with the fat. (By the way, I have since purchased a more supportive sports bra. )

I just can't get over the fact that I am actually patient about the long haul of this process, and I really have to give credit to many of the women on here who look fabulous, because you've stuck with it.

Heyz there Red

Good stuff in here! I drink protein shakes on a daily basis....actually 2 every day. I have to eat on the run so much, it's an easy way to get my protein in. I've never heard of that Rainbow Light brand (at first I read it as "Rainbow Bright"!! Ha! Remember those dolls....or am I sounding my age now ) but I have eliminated all dairy, as much gluten as possible from my diet, and very rarely eat fruit. Here's my morning shake....you may like it! 1 1/2 scoops Protein powder, 2 egg whites (Egg Beaters), blueberries (opt), 1 1/2 cups spinach. Give it a whirl and go! It's really good! If you use chocolate powder it looks like poo water and if you use vanilla powder it looks like you put a leprechaun in the blender (it's green)!

Keep up the good work!
    Caring about what people think of you is useless. Most people don't even know what they think of themselves.

Stop watering dead plants

Rozlyn27 is just really nice. (+1000) Rozlyn27 is just really nice. (+1000) Rozlyn27 is just really nice. (+1000) Rozlyn27 is just really nice. (+1000) Rozlyn27 is just really nice. (+1000) Rozlyn27 is just really nice. (+1000) Rozlyn27 is just really nice. (+1000) Rozlyn27 is just really nice. (+1000) Rozlyn27 is just really nice. (+1000) Rozlyn27 is just really nice. (+1000) Rozlyn27 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Keep working hard! I'll be following along!
    Strive for more.

MyFitnessPal - Rozlyn1708

geek23ka is a name known to all. (+5000) geek23ka is a name known to all. (+5000) geek23ka is a name known to all. (+5000) geek23ka is a name known to all. (+5000) geek23ka is a name known to all. (+5000) geek23ka is a name known to all. (+5000) geek23ka is a name known to all. (+5000) geek23ka is a name known to all. (+5000) geek23ka is a name known to all. (+5000) geek23ka is a name known to all. (+5000) geek23ka is a name known to all. (+5000)
    so what do you think of NROLFW?

also, subbing.

Originally Posted by swooshie View Post
    Here's my morning shake....you may like it! 1 1/2 scoops Protein powder, 2 egg whites (Egg Beaters), blueberries (opt), 1 1/2 cups spinach. Give it a whirl and go! It's really good! If you use chocolate powder it looks like poo water and if you use vanilla powder it looks like you put a leprechaun in the blender (it's green)!
    Thanks for the tip! I told my honey about this, so he came up with the following shake: 6 strawberries, 1 kiwi, 1 ripe banana (for sweetness), ~3 Tbps of heavy whipping cream, 1 scoop protein powder. It was awesome! The vanilla flavored powder helped it to taste like a strawberry milk shake (pictured). : P~~~~

I was picking on him pointing out that the cream kind of negates the "lactose-free" aspect of the powder, but that element of the powder was specifically for him, not me anyway. *Shrugs*

I ended up getting more than 100 grams of protein today after eating a nice halibut steak.

geek23ka
    so what do you think of NROLFW?
    NROLFW is really great for this newbie! The author is clear, concise and explains concepts in ways that I can actually understand. My favorite part is that he actually backs up his data with peer-reviewed studies and even admits where some studies are flawed, but how they compare to others. To me that gives it a lot of credibility. I highly recommend it! (Though I can see that it might be too basic for people who have been doing this for a while.)

Speaking of NROLFW, I am slowly beginning to have a paradigm shift and understand the following concept thanks to the book:

Goal is to burn fat ==> muscle burns fat ==> need to build muscle ==> weight lifting + building blocks (aka protein) builds muscle

Which means the combination of weight lifting & protein = ultimately burning fat and gettin' sexy!

I do have a question:

I had a two-day break and today's work was actually tough! This is the third week, and I have not increased the weight yet. However, it was much more difficult today - I almost feel weaker. My honey said he remembered his friend, Mr. State X Body Builder, had mentioned that if we feel weak early on, then it is a good indication that we're getting the proper muscle tear down that leads to the rebuilding and building of new muscles. Is this correct?

Also, I have been doing full-body every other day, and it looks like I need to change it to an alternating Upper/Lower body schedule in order to give the muscles more time to recover. The book seems to suggest that, but I just haven't read that far yet.

Thanks for all of the encouragement and advice! It's really helping!

Pictured below: My honey's protein strawberry milk shake he invented for me. Yummy!
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Redfizz; 04-30-2012 at 05:04 AM.

geek23ka is a name known to all. (+5000) geek23ka is a name known to all. (+5000) geek23ka is a name known to all. (+5000) geek23ka is a name known to all. (+5000) geek23ka is a name known to all. (+5000) geek23ka is a name known to all. (+5000) geek23ka is a name known to all. (+5000) geek23ka is a name known to all. (+5000) geek23ka is a name known to all. (+5000) geek23ka is a name known to all. (+5000) geek23ka is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I had a two-day break and today's work was actually tough! This is the third week, and I have not increased the weight yet. However, it was much more difficult today - I almost feel weaker. My honey said he remembered his friend, Mr. State X Body Builder, had mentioned that if we feel weak early on, then it is a good indication that we're getting the proper muscle tear down that leads to the rebuilding and building of new muscles. Is this correct?

Pictured below: My honey's protein strawberry milk shake he invented for me. Yummy!

I want to know this, too, bc I feel stuck and even like I am regressing. My DL is getting harder, not easier.

Ingredients for the shake? Is it good?

I think I'm going to order NROLFW. Just to read it. I like starting strength bc it's pretty straightforward, but maybe I can use NROLFW after.