Jibbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jibbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jibbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jibbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jibbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jibbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jibbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jibbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jibbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jibbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jibbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Questioning the Protein Calculator !

The protein calculator makes me wonder if that much protein is really necesssary, I take one shake in the morning, one in the afternoon and one at night plus I eat normally. I also take my vitamins and aminos throughout the day. Sometimes I miss a protein shake and it is fine, but with some of the articles I read it just sounds like you are dropping into a catabolic state not taking your protein correctly or not enough. Personally I believe alot of the supplementation industry is going overboard with pushing their products. Best product I take is the Universal Animal Pak, I have taken it for more than 10 years now and I love the product, cant say enough about it "thats why its always at the top of the list". What are your thoughts on supplementation and any good ideas ?

Jibbo

MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Protein powders and how much protein to take is widely a personal decision, some people really believe you need 1.5 lbs per lbs body weight others say .3 lbs per lbs body weight is enough, and everything in between. I supplement with whey because I feel that my diet lacks and its a fast snack on the run.

To each their own

dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I aim for 220G a day based loosely on my bodyweight, I get most of it from real food but if I'm lacking I'll supplement with a whey shake. no science behind it for me been doing it for a couple of years and I'm making slow but sure progress (I think).
    Instagram - @dazlittle123

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Jibbo View Post
    The protein calculator makes me wonder if that much protein is really necesssary, I take one shake in the morning, one in the afternoon and one at night plus I eat normally. I also take my vitamins and aminos throughout the day. Sometimes I miss a protein shake and it is fine, but with some of the articles I read it just sounds like you are dropping into a catabolic state not taking your protein correctly or not enough. Personally I believe alot of the supplementation industry is going overboard with pushing their products. Best product I take is the Universal Animal Pak, I have taken it for more than 10 years now and I love the product, cant say enough about it "thats why its always at the top of the list". What are your thoughts on supplementation and any good ideas ?

Jibbo
    I suggest you head to the nutrition forum and start reading. From what you've posted here, you've been misled about protein requirements and meal timing from supplement ads rather than science-backed sources.

Here's a few places to start:
    *Emma-Leigh's calorie/macro thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121703981

*Alan Aragon/ Pre/Post Nutrition: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=123915821
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    OP, exactly how much protein (in grams) do you consume daily?

uhjin is on a distinguished road. (+10) uhjin is on a distinguished road. (+10) uhjin is on a distinguished road. (+10) uhjin is on a distinguished road. (+10) uhjin is on a distinguished road. (+10) uhjin is on a distinguished road. (+10) uhjin is on a distinguished road. (+10) uhjin is on a distinguished road. (+10) uhjin is on a distinguished road. (+10) uhjin is on a distinguished road. (+10) uhjin is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    A protein calculator like this one http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/calpro.htm used to cite PW Lemon as the source for the calculation. Had a look now and it doesn't mention PW Lemon anymore.

Probably because Lemon recommends 1.6-1.8 gms of protein daily per KILOGRAM of bodyweight, the calculator recommend 1.5 grams per POUND of bodyweight which is about double what Lemon really recommends http://www.jacn.org/content/19/suppl_5/513S.full , I wonder why this would be...

Most people here seem to recommend 1 gram per pound as the minimum from what I have read
    Last edited by uhjin; 04-18-2012 at 11:48 AM.

BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by uhjin View Post

Most people here seem to recommend 1 gram per pound as the minimum.
    Don't forget that's 1g per lb of lbm. Not over-all body weight. That knocks the figure down a fair bit for the vast majority of people.

uhjin is on a distinguished road. (+10) uhjin is on a distinguished road. (+10) uhjin is on a distinguished road. (+10) uhjin is on a distinguished road. (+10) uhjin is on a distinguished road. (+10) uhjin is on a distinguished road. (+10) uhjin is on a distinguished road. (+10) uhjin is on a distinguished road. (+10) uhjin is on a distinguished road. (+10) uhjin is on a distinguished road. (+10) uhjin is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by BloodySalad View Post
    Don't forget that's 1g per lb of lbm. Not over-all body weight. That knocks the figure down a fair bit for the vast majority of people.
    From what I understand it (1gm per lb) is based on overall bodyweight not LBM. Obviously not a one size fit all approach though due to fat level differences in individuals.

IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz
    Personally, I prefer to err on the side of excess, rather than on the side of deficiency. Nothing worse in my mind, to bust your ass in the gym, but not have enough protein available to rebuild your muscles bigger and stronger. Your body will convert any excess protein to fuel, anyway.
    ★DSC★
    ★MISC Cologne Crew★
    ★4200 cals a day crew★
    ★Squat Booty Sorority Fan Club★
    ★Forum Member #109,914,313★

► ► ►Dirty South Crew gear: https://www.zazzle.com/s/thedirtysouthlifts ◄ ◄ ◄ (Proceeds go to children's charities)

BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by uhjin View Post
    From what I understand it (1gm per lb) is based on overall bodyweight not LBM. Obviously not a one size fit all approach though due to fat level differences in individuals.
    I hang out in the Nutrition forum quite a bit and it's normally recommended as 1-1.5g per lb of lbm as recommended by Lyle Macdonald.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...ieting-qa.html

That said, there are probably dozens of different views as illustrated by your calculator.

IMO, Iron Charles has hit the nail on the head - err on the side of caution and aim high. It's not going to cause you any harm.