Closed Thread
    enjibenji has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Skinny but love handles

I'm 22, 5'8ish skinny but I have love handles and belly fat (noticeable when sat down)

I recently joined the gym and was given a cardio/resistance routine. I have been going but for the past week I haven't due to going home for Easter holidays from Uni. I have been keeping up intense work outs doing different variations of sit ups.

I have seen no change to the love handles, they are still there in all their glory. Seriously what do I need to do? It's the only thing I want to achieve at the moment, lose the love handles I don't even care about the extra belly fat I have.

Edit: I have link to picture of the love handles if anyone needs to see what I'm on about but can't put the link on my post

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Situps are going to do nothing. You cannot target fat loss by exercising those areas.

Reduction of fat can only be accomplished by dieting.

Since you are also skinny and presumably want to gain muscle mass, you need to alternate periods of muscle gain (high calorie intake) and fat loss (low calorie intake). Try 3 months mass gain, 1 month fat loss.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post847953543

Thanks for the reply. Thing is I don't even care about gaining muscle, I'm not like ridiculously skinny. I'm fine with everything except the love handles. Just want to get rid of them as quick as possible

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Then concentrate on dieting. You should still weight train your entire body and you should still count calories and grams of protein.

The weight training and protein are required to prevent you losing lean tissue while dieting. This would result in you getting scrawny and your metabolic rate dropping - a great way of priming yourself for rebound fat gain.

MatthewNYC80 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MatthewNYC80 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MatthewNYC80 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MatthewNYC80 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MatthewNYC80 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MatthewNYC80 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MatthewNYC80 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MatthewNYC80 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MatthewNYC80 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MatthewNYC80 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MatthewNYC80 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    This has been a problem of mine for years. I am almost rid of it finally.
    I am very skinny, but have fat around my belly and butt.
    You need to monitor your calories, make sure you are eating the right foods, really track what you are eating with a calorie counter (I use myfooddiary), and maintain a 500 calorie deficit.
    This takes a very long time to fix. I have been working at it for five months and have lost about an inch from my waist a month. I have been eating perfectly as well, even no drinking. I think I can lose one more inch until my stomach is flat.

Good luck buddy.

Brofister will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brofister will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brofister will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brofister will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brofister will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brofister will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brofister will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brofister will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brofister will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brofister will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brofister will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Attach a pic, srs. To lose body fat you need to eat at a deficit. It's that simple. Less calories going in than going out.

Originally Posted by MatthewNYC80 View Post
    This has been a problem of mine for years. I am almost rid of it finally.
    I am very skinny, but have fat around my belly and butt.
    You need to monitor your calories, make sure you are eating the right foods, really track what you are eating with a calorie counter (I use myfooddiary), and maintain a 500 calorie deficit.
    This takes a very long time to fix. I have been working at it for five months and have lost about an inch from my waist a month. I have been eating perfectly as well, even no drinking. I think I can lose one more inch until my stomach is flat.

Good luck buddy.
    Have you been eating carbs? or complex carbs? or eliminated them completely?

Normally I can eat less extremely easily, the problem with being a student is those night outs binge drinking and eating friend chicken. I don't do it very often (Maybe once every two weeks)

Originally Posted by Brofister View Post
    Attach a pic, srs. To lose body fat you need to eat at a deficit. It's that simple. Less calories going in than going out.
    It is really that simple? What about certain foods like eating carbs?

Originally Posted by enjibenji View Post
    Have you been eating carbs? or complex carbs? or eliminated them completely?

Normally I can eat less extremely easily, the problem with being a student is those night outs binge drinking and eating friend chicken. I don't do it very often (Maybe once every two weeks)
    Carbs - or type of carb are not going to have much impact on your diet - assuming that your calories are controlled and you reach minimum levels of protein and dietary fat.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Carbs - or type of carb are not going to have much impact on your diet - assuming that your calories are controlled and you reach minimum levels of protein and dietary fat.
    So it is literally just calorie intake I need to concentrate on? Does it work, say, if I was to cut 1000 rather than just 500, it would be quicker? Thing is, there is rarely a day where I eat 1500 calories let alone 2000

imgur.com/xZsWZ - link to pic

Brofister will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brofister will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brofister will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brofister will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brofister will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brofister will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brofister will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brofister will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brofister will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brofister will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brofister will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You'd be surprised at what you underestimate in your calorie intake. It's better to be on a 500kcal deficit than a 1000kcal deficit since your body will go into starvation. Ode and will hold onto everything you put in. Eat at a deficit with as high protein as you can manage. Do 3 all body workouts with only compound exercises (squats, deads, rows, bench, press) a week and you will be good to go.

Normal day for me - Banana and coffee in morning. Half a lemon squeezed in to hot water, green tea (all day)
    Lunch - Usually soup or small salad.
    Dinner - Chicken (frozen, or stir fry or oven cooked, or beans with cheese, or brown pasta with cheese, or noodles with something)
    Snack - mixed nuts, scotch eggs

That is pretty much what I eat, sometimes I miss out on lunch

calories - and grams of protein too. It sounds like you aren't eating enough protein. You need (at a guess) a minimum of 150g a day. I bet you are hard pressed to get 100 at the moment.

It sounds like you really need a mass gain cycle, it would raise your maintenance calorie level. You'll end up with a desirable body rather than an emaciated wreck that can't eat more than 1500 calories per day.

calories - and grams of protein too. It sounds like you aren't eating enough protein. You need (at a guess) a minimum of 150g a day. I bet you are hard pressed to get 100 at the moment.

It sounds like you really need a mass gain cycle, it would raise your maintenance calorie level. You'll end up with a desirable body rather than an emaciated wreck that can't eat more than 1500 calories per day.
    Ok so up the protein intake and ensure that I get 1500 calories per day? My problem is psychological, for example, I feel that if I eat bread or cereal or cheese or more than I am currently eating per day (I'm talking even just a small amount) then all my exercise is obsolete and I will keep gaining fat.

51747 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 51747 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 51747 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 51747 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 51747 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 51747 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    SuffolkPunch has pretty much given you all the information that you need.

My two pennies are that I believe that your body's metabolism has slowed down. You need to kick start that. Also, there's never any harm in putting on muscle because the more muscle you have the less tendency you'll have to put on fat (owing to increased metabolism). I know someone who spends 50 minutes every single day doing high intensity cardio and then eats 1 salad and 2 chicken breasts all day - without ANY weight drop. So don't be like that. Eat proper, exercise properly and your love handles will go away with time.

And be very mindful that this will take a long time because the fat around your tummy is usually the very last thing to go when your levels of fat drop. I know because I have the same problem - see my profile picture. A few months ago (before I started bulking), I had a completely flat stomach with hints of abs showing, but the love handles were still there. The b!tches are tough to get rid off but with a sustained diet and proper exercise you can get rid of them.

usmarine313 is not very well liked. (-100) usmarine313 is not very well liked. (-100) usmarine313 is not very well liked. (-100) usmarine313 is not very well liked. (-100) usmarine313 is not very well liked. (-100) usmarine313 is not very well liked. (-100) usmarine313 is not very well liked. (-100) usmarine313 is not very well liked. (-100) usmarine313 is not very well liked. (-100) usmarine313 is not very well liked. (-100) usmarine313 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Whether or not you like it, I'm going to tell you how it is; Like 51747 said.. The fat on your stomach is the last thing to go so you don't have to Powerlift of bodybuild.. but if you really want to change, I'd highly reccommend hitting up a gym, as the more muscle you put on the more calories you'll burn. Not eating alot is bad for you because your body still needs to feed off something throughout the day, and if you have no food in your system, guess where it'll eat from? Your muscles, and you'll never lose you're love handles. Eat 1800 Calories at the least and if you aren't interested in building muscle, just stick to a High protein/Low carb diet.

Originally Posted by usmarine313 View Post
    Whether or not you like it, I'm going to tell you how it is; Like 51747 said.. The fat on your stomach is the last thing to go so you don't have to Powerlift of bodybuild.. but if you really want to change, I'd highly reccommend hitting up a gym, as the more muscle you put on the more calories you'll burn. Not eating alot is bad for you because your body still needs to feed off something throughout the day, and if you have no food in your system, guess where it'll eat from? Your muscles, and you'll never lose you're love handles. Eat 1800 Calories at the least and if you aren't interested in building muscle, just stick to a High protein/Low carb diet.
    I already have a gym membership fortunately. I plan to go as much as possible throughout summer so maybe the building muscle/reducing body fat could be the best option for me.

One thing I don't understand - when you say I should be eating 1800 calories a day, does it matter if I eat carbs? or should I eliminate all carbs? It's pretty hard for me to eat enough calories without bread (being a student)

One thing I don't understand - when you say I should be eating 1800 calories a day, does it matter if I eat carbs? or should I eliminate all carbs? It's pretty hard for me to eat enough calories without bread (being a student)
    no!

Carbs are just a source of calories, not some kind of poison.

ALL foods are made from the same basic ingredients:
    - fats 9 calories per gram
    - carbs 4 calories per gram
    - protein 4 calories per gram

Use fitday.com to calculate calories consumed and protein/carb/fat content

make sure you are getting at least 170g protein and 80g of fat - the rest can be from any source

no!

Carbs are just a source of calories, not some kind of poison.

ALL foods are made from the same basic ingredients:
    - fats 9 calories per gram
    - carbs 4 calories per gram
    - protein 4 calories per gram

Use fitday.com to calculate calories consumed and protein/carb/fat content

make sure you are getting at least 170g protein and 80g of fat - the rest can be from any source
    Thank you for the link and advice, very helpful. So if after a day of food I find I haven't eaten enough, is it ok to have a late night snack? like a sandwich

yes

And if anyone tells you that you shouldn't have carbs before bedtime, kick them in the nuts

yes

And if anyone tells you that you shouldn't have carbs before bedtime, kick them in the nuts
    Haha will do

Thanks again for your help, if only I knew this info a while back I would of wasted so much time and stopped from starving myself so much.

One last thing - how much exercise do you recommend? I usually go to the gym 3 times a week for an hour, I plan on going for double that time this summer and doing tennis or squash etc. I usually use dumbbells and do all types of sit ups and a few press ups every day

aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Haha will do

Thanks again for your help, if only I knew this info a while back I would of wasted so much time and stopped from starving myself so much.

One last thing - how much exercise do you recommend? I usually go to the gym 3 times a week for an hour, I plan on going for double that time this summer and doing tennis or squash etc. I usually use dumbbells and do all types of sit ups and a few press ups every day
    Not trying to sound like a d1ck, but read the stickies man. They are up there for a reason- and ppl are suppose to read them before posting. These guys have given you more than enough info, and you sound like you want to be spoon fed. Do some research via stickies on TRAINING and NUTRITION and get to work.

Haha will do

3x is fine. You should do a well known routine such as all pros simple beginners routine. You should be able to run this routine until you can squat 130kg

broman122 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) broman122 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) broman122 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) broman122 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) broman122 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) broman122 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) broman122 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) broman122 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    carbs won't help build muscle or LOSE fat the only way you can eat CARBS and lose fat is to do cardio. exersises (running).If you don't want to do that then just do a NO CARB diet,which consists of most veggies and meat (lots of protein,preferably).Thats how you lose those love handles,if you don't want to do this you DON'T REALLY want to lose them,(detication is crucial,not a overnight process!)

22199 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Your workout

Originally Posted by 51747 View Post
    SuffolkPunch has pretty much given you all the information that you need.

My two pennies are that I believe that your body's metabolism has slowed down. You need to kick start that. Also, there's never any harm in putting on muscle because the more muscle you have the less tendency you'll have to put on fat (owing to increased metabolism). I know someone who spends 50 minutes every single day doing high intensity cardio and then eats 1 salad and 2 chicken breasts all day - without ANY weight drop. So don't be like that. Eat proper, exercise properly and your love handles will go away with time.

And be very mindful that this will take a long time because the fat around your tummy is usually the very last thing to go when your levels of fat drop. I know because I have the same problem - see my profile picture. A few months ago (before I started bulking), I had a completely flat stomach with hints of abs showing, but the love handles were still there. The b!tches are tough to get rid off but with a sustained diet and proper exercise you can get rid of them.
    As I was scrolling u saw you had some good advice and after seeing you progress I was wondering if you could share you workout/diet plan with me

redviking1 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) redviking1 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) redviking1 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) redviking1 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) redviking1 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) redviking1 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) redviking1 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) redviking1 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) redviking1 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) redviking1 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) redviking1 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    I have the same problem im 21 last year i was 220 then in 6 months droped to 160 then 158 at my smallest in curently 170 now its been 4 months since my lowest realy muscled up in those 4-5 months but still cant kill the love handles. only way i can is by lots of cardio and prety much starving myself. i work out 4-5 days a week 2 hour sessions before work then i work construction. my diet is pretty tight almost dam perfect but lately i have been eating more because im starving every 2 hours but im eating clean so i dont know where im goin wrong tghe amount i work and work out and the amount i eat i should be cut by now but i just cant seem to lose the weight

I'm 22, 5'8ish skinny but I have love handles and belly fat (noticeable when sat down)

I recently joined the gym and was given a cardio/resistance routine. I have been going but for the past week I haven't due to going home for Easter holidays from Uni. I have been keeping up intense work outs doing different variations of sit ups.

I have seen no change to the love handles, they are still there in all their glory. Seriously what do I need to do? It's the only thing I want to achieve at the moment, lose the love handles I don't even care about the extra belly fat I have.

Edit: I have link to picture of the love handles if anyone needs to see what I'm on about but can't put the link on my post

Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    don't worry bout em right now. bulk up and lift heavy to put on mass and then no one will care about love handles. once you look like a man you can start cutting again

Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by broman122 View Post
    carbs won't help build muscle or LOSE fat the only way you can eat CARBS and lose fat is to do cardio. exersises (running).If you don't want to do that then just do a NO CARB diet,which consists of most veggies and meat (lots of protein,preferably).Thats how you lose those love handles,if you don't want to do this you DON'T REALLY want to lose them,(detication is crucial,not a overnight process!)
    what? do you even nutrition bro?

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Nubygaines View Post
    what? do you even nutrition bro?
    you just replied to a 4 year old post :P
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee