TowerChaser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TowerChaser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TowerChaser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TowerChaser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TowerChaser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TowerChaser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TowerChaser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TowerChaser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TowerChaser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TowerChaser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TowerChaser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Progress Update September-April Appreciate any tips, advice etc.

September 19th-April 16th

290 to 260 with uneducated unhealthy cut left me with no lean mass so I bulked to 285 the smart way and have recently cut back to 260 in the second pic. Did that with Carb cycling and 5X5 workouts 2-3 times a week. Recently started RFL. I'm on Day 5 and love it so far.

Appreciate any tips, advice etc.
    Attached Images

Pietens will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pietens will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pietens will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pietens will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pietens will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pietens will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pietens will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pietens will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pietens will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pietens will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pietens will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by TowerChaser View Post

290 to 260 with uneducated unhealthy cut left me with no lean mass so I bulked to 285 the smart way and have recently cut back to 260 in the second pic. Did that with Carb cycling and 5X5 workouts 2-3 times a week. Recently started RFL. I'm on Day 5 and love it so far.

Looking fantastic man! Keep it up. I'm a huge advocate of carb cycling myself. What's the cardio training like? That would be my first question.

MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Good work man. Looks like your program is working.
    Vikings--Wolves-Gophers
    ***United----MNUFC***
    *****Celiac Bruh*****

TigerBulk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TigerBulk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TigerBulk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TigerBulk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TigerBulk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TigerBulk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TigerBulk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TigerBulk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TigerBulk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TigerBulk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TigerBulk is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Have you ever tried a routine like starting strength? It's only compound movements & is 3 times a week.

My understanding is that big compound movements will help you put on the most muscle and burn lots of calories.

I'm currently on a cut while on starting strength which is not generally recommended on these boards. However, it's my understanding that one can still make strength gains while on a cut, but it's like progressing into a headwind and relatively slow going. Unlike the gains made on a bulk which is similiar to having a tailwind / faster.

My advice tips would be to check out the IIFYM section and fine tune the micro and macro aspects of your diet to meet your personal goals.
    After your diet is in check, use a proven workout routine (with progressive poundages) that will also meet your personal goals.

As for me, my combo is Starting Strength while on a 15% caloric deficit. My cut ends when I hit 11%BF or 145lbs. I'm hoping for the 11%, but I'm also a realist.

Good luck OP!
    brb eating...

TowerChaser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TowerChaser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TowerChaser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TowerChaser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TowerChaser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TowerChaser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TowerChaser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TowerChaser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TowerChaser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TowerChaser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TowerChaser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Pietens View Post
    Looking fantastic man! Keep it up. I'm a huge advocate of carb cycling myself. What's the cardio training like? That would be my first question.
    In the beginning I was doing massive amounts of HIIT and stairs at the local track. I know it's supposed to support lean mass but I don't think I had my diet in check with it and was losing a lot of upper body tone.

To be honest I haven't done much cardio since December and so far that's one of the reason I like RFL so much. I don't have to feel guilty about not doing it cause it specifically says not too lol.

I like Cardio, I just have an OCD personality and it always turns into too much and bye bye muscle mass.

Originally Posted by TigerBulk View Post
    Have you ever tried a routine like starting strength? It's only compound movements & is 3 times a week.

My understanding is that big compound movements will help you put on the most muscle and burn lots of calories.

I'm currently on a cut while on starting strength which is not generally recommended on these boards. However, it's my understanding that one can still make strength gains while on a cut, but it's like progressing into a headwind and relatively slow going. Unlike the gains made on a bulk which is similiar to having a tailwind / faster.

My advice tips would be to check out the IIFYM section and fine tune the micro and macro aspects of your diet to meet your personal goals.
    After your diet is in check, use a proven workout routine (with progressive poundages) that will also meet your personal goals.

As for me, my combo is Starting Strength while on a 15% caloric deficit. My cut ends when I hit 11%BF or 145lbs. I'm hoping for the 11%, but I'm also a realist.

Good luck OP!
    Compound movements are where it's at and I have seen the best results doing a 5x5 program with as heavy weight as possible. I would just look at the the risk of losing Muscle Mass while doing Starting Strength on a cut. Not saying listen to everyone else about it but track with a tape measurer and listen to your body.

Appreciate it and good luck with your cut as well.

lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Great work. You must be a masochist if love RFL though, lol.

TigerBulk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TigerBulk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TigerBulk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TigerBulk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TigerBulk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TigerBulk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TigerBulk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TigerBulk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TigerBulk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TigerBulk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TigerBulk is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Not saying listen to everyone else about it but track with a tape measurer and listen to your body.

Appreciate it and good luck with your cut as well.
    Not to nit-pick, but I believe keeping up with your lifts (example: 5 Rep Max or X Rep Max) is superior to using a tape measure to keep up with muscle loss / gain when cutting. If you are losing inches, this does not necessarily mean that you are losing lean muscle mass. Upper arms are a good example of this phenomenon (AKA Fat-ceps). However, if you continue to progress with your OH Press, Bench, etc then you are likely to be making some LBM gains as well (however minor).

It is also generally advised to lift heavy on a cut in order to retain muscle.

Just a thought.
    Last edited by TigerBulk; 04-17-2012 at 07:52 AM.
    brb eating...

I agree with you on that for sure. I've tracked every lift. Continous progression with weight has led to much more success than I had before. I think it's a good idea to do both as I've measured every two weeks. Just keeps me motivated when the scale doesn't. I also agree with heavy weight to retain muscle I just mean keep an eye on the amount of days your lifting. I can get away with more on a bulk.

I agree with you on that for sure. I've tracked every lift. Continous progression with weight has led to much more success than I had before. I think it's a good idea to do both as I've measured every two weeks. Just keeps me motivated when the scale doesn't. I also agree with heavy weight to retain muscle I just mean keep an eye on the amount of days your lifting. I can get away with more on a bulk.
    Agreed
    brb eating...