nwilliams15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nwilliams15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nwilliams15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nwilliams15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nwilliams15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nwilliams15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nwilliams15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nwilliams15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nwilliams15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nwilliams15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nwilliams15 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Starting Strength - Round 2

Hey Bodybuilding.com Community,

Here's my story. So Last year I had run out of money to pay for my MMA gym I had been going to so, I decided to join just a general fitness club for about half the price to workout. After about a month or so of wandering not knowing what to lift I looked online for a beginner routine because it was made apparent I knew nothing about weight training. Naturally, Rippetoe's SS popped up. Gave it a whirl last summer for like 2 weeks and me being the stubborn me said, "screw this I'm the only one who tells me what to lift," and returned to wandering around the gym for about a year. Obviously I have made almost no gains in strength or size. So basically I suck haha. But in reality not all was lost. Although I haven't made any real progress on any of the lifts on SS I have tried my hand at them enough where I know proper form on them, not great, but certainly good enough to prevent injury (exception of the power clean but I gave it a shot today and it's not that bad). So now I'm gonna give SS a try again, now that I realize I'm an idiot. No idea if I'll be able to benefit from those "noob gains" like true novice weightlifters would, but I am still a beginner by far, and think the program would benefit me so I'm gonna try it again. The other thing is my diet, I eat pretty good I think , but do believe I just need more calories overall, so I'm going to be posting all of my workouts, supplements, and foods here so you can all critique me on it and point me in the right direction because there are so many knowledgeable people on this forum I don't wanna pass up any advice. So without further ado, here is Day 1 of my most recent attempt at SS:

Day 1: 6/29/12

MEALS

One omlet with sausage, ham, and bacon
    Side of corned beef hash
    Glass of milk

Almond butter sandwhich

1.5lb Lobster
    A few mussels...(with lots of butter... )

Workout B

Protein shake
    Protein Bar

WORKOUT B

Squat Warmup: 2x5x45 1x5x60 1x3x90 1x2x120
    Squat Working: 3x5x155

Press Warmup: 2x5x45 1x5x30 (had to use dumbbells) 1x3x45 1x2x55
    Press Working: 3x5x65

Clean Warmup: 2x5x45 1x5x50 1x3x65 1x2x80
    Clean Working: 3x5x95

SUPPLEMENTS

6g creatine
    48g Whey protein shake post workout
    3 scoops neurocore pre workout

Few last words here, if you think because of my prior lifting SS will be of no help let me know! Anything you want me to fix about diet, supplementation, or lifting, let me know! If I get lazy and don't post on here, send me PM's and harass me about it to remind me, generally I'm good for self motivation but if I slip can't hurt to help! Lastly, after reading the SS book Rippetoe is always going on about "you can these exercises, but it's not the novice program" I would like to add in some grip training. I figured a few days with a Heavy Grip and then a few days resting before my deadlift day can't hurt right? Also, would it be a bad idea to add in some light cardio that's easy on the legs like an elliptical for 30mins or so on my off days, just to give me something to do and get my ass in the gym? And how about some ab exercises as well, or will those be worked plenty as stabilizers for the main lifts? So thanks for taking the time to read this, any feedback would be great and cheers everyone!
    Last edited by nwilliams15; 06-30-2012 at 09:46 AM.

nwilliams15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nwilliams15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nwilliams15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nwilliams15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nwilliams15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nwilliams15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nwilliams15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nwilliams15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nwilliams15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nwilliams15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nwilliams15 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Days 2: 6/30/12

MEALS

3 hard boiled eggs
    Lobster roll

Almond butter sandwich

2 slices of pizza

3 chicken skewers

Clif Builder Bar

2 McDoubles
    2 McChickens

SUPPLEMENTS

6g creatine

So today was the weekend so no workout, same deal will be tomorrow. Plan on hitting the gym pretty early on Monday for Workout A to start off the week. I know the pizza and McDonalds aren't best for me but was a some early 4th of July fireworks with the lady friend and they were the only real food options. Primarily focused on getting lots of calories and protein, not exactly as concerned with how i'm getting them!

Day 3: 7/1/2012

MEALS

1/2 pound grilled chicken breast
    Greek yogurt

3 glasses of milk

Can of tuna

Clif Builder Bar

2 Taco's (homemade, with just 1/2 of ground beef and tortilla's)

3 hard boilded eggs

SUPPLEMENTS

6g creatine

Getting my Durantula on FryDude's Avatar
    FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Keep it up brah I've quit and restarted SS at least 3 or 4 times by now lol. If you can just make it through once the gains should be massive.
    Toronto is Bake crew
    Raptors-Jays-Leafs-Bills. Best 2/10 sport teams crew.
    Herniated Dick crew
    Mike Tyson admirer crew
    Homeboy Leroy crew

Day 4: 7/2/12

MEALS

Oatmeal
    Greek Yogurt

Turkey Sandwhich

I ate something else but I'm forgetting it...

Protein Shake
    Clif Builder Bar

2 Reduced fat Bubba Burgers

2 granola bars
    Peanut butter sandwhich

WORKOUT A

Squat Warmup: 2x5x45 1x5x60 1x3x95 1x2x125
    Squat Working: 3x5x160

Deadlift Warmup: 2x5x70 1x3x110 1x2x155
    Deadlift Working: 1x5x185

Bench Warmup: 2x5x45 1x5x50 1x3x70 1x2x90
    Bench Working: 3x5x105

SUPPLEMENTS

6-12g creatine (forgot if I took it before my workout so I took some after too just to be sure)
    Protein shake
    3 scoops neurcore pre workout

So the bench press seemed pretty light today actually, so next few workouts should be easy before it starts to catch up with me. I find that squatting with a wider stance helps me get a bit lower for a nice and deep squat, not too wide but slightly wider than shoulder width. Is this a bad thing? And I also need to have my feet a bit wider deadlifting in order to get close enough to the bar and really drive my hips down and get going with the lift. I think it's because I'm just about 6 foot 2 inches with relatively long legs and I'm not as flexible as I could be. But overall great workout and can't wait for Wednesday's workout! God bless America!

Originally Posted by FryDude View Post
    Keep it up brah I've quit and restarted SS at least 3 or 4 times by now lol. If you can just make it through once the gains should be massive.
    Thanks! The only thing I'm concerned with is how much I'm eating. Been trying to keep the foods only stuff with high in protein like peanut butter, meats, fish, oatmeals, and eggs, but when people say you need to eat A LOT of food I don't really know if what I'm eating stacks up to what's necessary for the massive gains on this program. I pretty much eat when I wake up, and then eat till I'm full and then grab another meal as soon as I feel I can eat it, and then keep it going all day. I'm hoping that should be enough.

Day 5: 7/3/12

MEALS

Sausages
    Toast

Brown rice and black beans

Clif Builder Bar

Grilled chicken
    Pasta
    Green Beans

LOTS of milk over the day, trying this thing GOMAD, and pretty much went thru a gallon today (minus whatever my parents used for coffee)

SUPPLEMENTS

6g creatine

So my gym is closed tomorrow for the 4th so I'm thinking about perhaps just doubling up on and Thursday and then Friday again. Probably not gonna add weight onto my squats since it'll be two days in a row, but at least I'll have my two rest days and can continue on with M/W/F lifting.