brbgonegym has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Vegetarian protein

I eat some meat, but because I find Veggie products often have better macros and cook quicker/easier from frozen I sometimes buy them too.

What I'm wondering is whether the kind of proteins that comes from things like quorn and veggie substitutes, fake meats etc are as good as other forms, or whether I should just stick to chicken, red meat, fish, whey, isolate all the time instead?

Ampoliros will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ampoliros will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ampoliros will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ampoliros will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ampoliros will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ampoliros will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ampoliros will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ampoliros will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ampoliros will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ampoliros will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ampoliros will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by brbgonegym View Post
    I find Veggie products often have better macros
    Define 'better'?

Originally Posted by Ampoliros View Post
    Define 'better'?
    Higher protein, lower carb and fat. Sometimes.
    Also they are often cheaper.

There are a number of reasons some as simple as the taste. Anyway, I was just wondering whether protein derived from this sort of food is any worse for being 'absorbed' for want of a better word and used by the body for muscle building.

jenl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jenl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jenl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jenl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jenl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jenl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jenl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jenl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jenl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jenl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jenl has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    As far as I know Quorn, while delicious, have never provided an amino acid breakdown of their products and I would hazard a guess that they are not a source of complete proteins or essential amino acids. In general, animal proteins (meat, dairy, eggs) are sources of all essential amino acids which are needed to build muscle and for recovery and repair. I know a lot of Quorn products contain egg but I doubt it is enough to correct this imbalance.

However, it is possible to continue to use meatless products such as Quorn, soy etc so long as you are also including other sources of essential amino acids in your diet and eating them at the same time i.e. don't eat a pile of Quorn mince post workout then thnk because you had a slice of whole wheat 3 hours later you're good to go. Make that Quorn mince and wholewheat into a veggie Sloppy Joe or something! Vegetable proteins are incomplete but can be combined together to provide the full range. As loose examples, grains + legumes (PB on whole wheat, wild rice and beans), grains + nuts/seeds or legumes + nuts/seeds.

Additionally, you can supplement your diet with whey and increase your consumption of eggs and dairy.
    Update your grey matter, 'cause some day it may matter

jenl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jenl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jenl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jenl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jenl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jenl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jenl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jenl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jenl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jenl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jenl has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Also, you could look into BCAAs as additional backup.
    Update your grey matter, 'cause some day it may matter

Originally Posted by jenl View Post
    Also, you could look into BCAAs as additional backup.
    Cheers pal. Helpful reply, I'm taking whey and then milk, cheese and eggs, occasional chicken, fish and burgers. Also always eating PB and some nuts. Will look into BCAA's also.

For anyone who does search this and wonders the breakdown of Amino Acids I have found one.
    httpcolonslashslahwwwdotmycoprotein.org/assets/ALFT_V2_2.pdf

Seems to me that it has less essential Amino acids when compared with other proteins but at most half as many, and is similar to eggs on almost all levels so fairly good.

It won't let me post it because I only have 25 posts. If someone else wants to, search 'quorn amino acid breakdown' on google and it is the first link. I'll put it in here but will put dot occasionally so it can post.