goldbondmafia is not very well liked. (-100) goldbondmafia is not very well liked. (-100) goldbondmafia is not very well liked. (-100) goldbondmafia is not very well liked. (-100) goldbondmafia is not very well liked. (-100) goldbondmafia is not very well liked. (-100) goldbondmafia is not very well liked. (-100) goldbondmafia is not very well liked. (-100) goldbondmafia is not very well liked. (-100) goldbondmafia is not very well liked. (-100) goldbondmafia is not very well liked. (-100)

one pec larger than the other

I am sure many have run into this problem in the past however I was wondering, has anyone with different size pecs end up balancing them both out to similar size?

I am left handed but for whatever reason my left pec is also much smaller than my right, how can I fix this? Also does anyone why this happens ?

drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by goldbondmafia View Post
    I am sure many have run into this problem in the past however I was wondering, has anyone with different size pecs end up balancing them both out to similar size?

I am left handed but for whatever reason my left pec is also much smaller than my right, how can I fix this? Also does anyone why this happens ?
    BH I'm the same way except reversed since I'm right handed. My assumption is that it is because my right arm is stronger than my left, so the right pec has less work to do.a to how to fix, idk.
    B: 285
    S: 375
    D: 555

orb85750 will become famous soon enough. (+50) orb85750 will become famous soon enough. (+50) orb85750 will become famous soon enough. (+50) orb85750 will become famous soon enough. (+50) orb85750 will become famous soon enough. (+50) orb85750 will become famous soon enough. (+50) orb85750 will become famous soon enough. (+50) orb85750 will become famous soon enough. (+50) orb85750 will become famous soon enough. (+50) orb85750 will become famous soon enough. (+50) orb85750 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Obviously, genetics plays a big part in left/right asymmetry. The larger both pecs become by training over the years, the less the apparent difference may be. I still have a minor asymmetry, but it was worse years ago. I didn't do anything special like extra work on one side. I've used dumbbells, barbells, machines, just like for other muscles.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz

Among noobs or those who are relatively untrained, muscle imbalances/asymetry issues are fairly common. Most of the time though, unless there's some medical issue involved, the differences are only apparent to the individual.

If you're fairly new to training, just continue to train your chest in balance with the rest of your body. Over time, the differences will fade.

Don't attempt to "fix" the problem by giving the smaller side more work. The body will sometimes respond to such efforts with unexpected results, possibly leaving you with a worse imbalance than that with which you started.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

goldbondmafia is not very well liked. (-100) goldbondmafia is not very well liked. (-100) goldbondmafia is not very well liked. (-100) goldbondmafia is not very well liked. (-100) goldbondmafia is not very well liked. (-100) goldbondmafia is not very well liked. (-100) goldbondmafia is not very well liked. (-100) goldbondmafia is not very well liked. (-100) goldbondmafia is not very well liked. (-100) goldbondmafia is not very well liked. (-100) goldbondmafia is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    Among noobs or those who are relatively untrained, muscle imbalances/asymetry issues are fairly common. Most of the time though, unless there's some medical issue involved, the differences are only apparent to the individual.

If you're fairly new to training, just continue to train your chest in balance with the rest of your body. Over time, the differences will fade.

Don't attempt to "fix" the problem by giving the smaller side more work. The body will sometimes respond to such efforts with unexpected results, possibly leaving you with a worse imbalance than that with which you started.
    Ive been lifting weights for about two years and I have made some good progression on my chest however one side just develops much more and quicker than the other. I wonder how long it will take for the two to balance out a bit more or how many more lbs ill have to put on. Did you have this problem in your case?

Consistency. Intensity. Medtreker's Avatar
    Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000)
    Don't worry. You're Impecable!
    Tony

"Punch It Bishop"

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Ive been lifting weights for about two years and I have made some good progression on my chest however one side just develops much more and quicker than the other. I wonder how long it will take for the two to balance out a bit more or how many more lbs ill have to put on. Did you have this problem in your case?
    I was expecting you to state that you were a beginner. Two year's time should have balanced things out if you've spent it working mostly compound exercises and working your entire body using a structured routine.

If your chest issue is that pronounced that it's obvious to others besides yourself, you might want to look into possibly working with a Physical Therapist (not a personal trainer!), to see if you can even things out.

When I started bodybuilding at age 45, my entire body was out of balance. I don't recall having a single body part that was symetrical, side-to-side. I was so skinny at the time though, that I didn't think about it too much; I just figured if I could add some mass all over, it would take care of itself, which it eventually did. Again, I can't give you a time frame, it just took as long as it took.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

I was expecting you to state that you were a beginner. Two year's time should have balanced things out if you've spent it working mostly compound exercises and working your entire body using a structured routine.

If your chest issue is that pronounced that it's obvious to others besides yourself, you might want to look into possibly working with a Physical Therapist (not a personal trainer!), to see if you can even things out.

When I started bodybuilding at age 45, my entire body was out of balance. I don't recall having a single body part that was symetrical, side-to-side. I was so skinny at the time though, that I didn't think about it too much; I just figured if I could add some mass all over, it would take care of itself, which it eventually did. Again, I can't give you a time frame, it just took as long as it took.
    You seemed to have gained a lot of weight over your ten year transformation, i will continue to put on the lbs and see whats happening at 200lbs. Ive have always had bad back posture my whole life I am starting to believe one side could be worse than the other (one shoulder slouched forward more) and it has effected chest growth..

thebigguy1 is just really nice. (+1000) thebigguy1 is just really nice. (+1000) thebigguy1 is just really nice. (+1000) thebigguy1 is just really nice. (+1000) thebigguy1 is just really nice. (+1000) thebigguy1 is just really nice. (+1000) thebigguy1 is just really nice. (+1000) thebigguy1 is just really nice. (+1000) thebigguy1 is just really nice. (+1000) thebigguy1 is just really nice. (+1000) thebigguy1 is just really nice. (+1000)

^^^^^ This, I totally agree.

When I first started out my pec imbalance very obvious. I met a guy at the gym who told me "just keep lifting, lift heavy and concentrate on compound movements. Of course that was many years and over 120+ pounds ago, but the problem no longer exists.

And yes, I also had to work on correct posture, which made a world of difference especially with shoulders/traps.

Good luck!

Ron lll---lll
    My favorite part of Bodybuilding is the sleeping because then I don't have to worry about eating all day!! :)

Going for strong and lean jtroster's Avatar
    jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000)
    There once was a man from Belsizes,
    Who had pecs of two different sizes.
    One was so small,
    That it was no pec at all,
    And the other was huge and won prizes.
    Joel

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”

My 2014 Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159562211

Originally Posted by thebigguy1 View Post
    ^^^^^ This, I totally agree.

When I first started out my pec imbalance very obvious. I met a guy at the gym who told me "just keep lifting, lift heavy and concentrate on compound movements. Of course that was many years and over 120+ pounds ago, but the problem no longer exists.

And yes, I also had to work on correct posture, which made a world of difference especially with shoulders/traps.

Good luck!

Ron lll---lll
    How did you fix your posture issues? Since i was a kid ive had that problem with my shoulders slouched forward and i cant sleep on my back which would help if i could..

But yes I will up the weight for chest and continue to focus on compound exercises hopefully as I gain more and more lbs it will even out. It just sucks cause my right side i even have stretch marks while the other side i dont haha

Registered User HairyScandinavian's Avatar
    HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by drudixon View Post
    BH I'm the same way except reversed since I'm right handed. My assumption is that it is because my right arm is stronger than my left, so the right pec has less work to do.a to how to fix, idk.
    This for me, but I'm kind of a mess. Right handed... my right upper arm is larger than left, my left forearm and pec is larger (and stronger) than right, my left thigh is larger than my right, my right lat pops out much further (viewed from front) than my left. I bet if I could see myself from the back my ass cheeks are different sizes also. I tried doing nothing but DB work for a while and it didn't seem to matter so I just ignore it now, figure if I can ever put on any appreciable size it'll balance out a little.
    Last edited by HairyScandinavian; 04-16-2012 at 12:11 PM.

danap3681 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) danap3681 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) danap3681 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) danap3681 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) danap3681 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) danap3681 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) danap3681 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) danap3681 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) danap3681 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) danap3681 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) danap3681 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I am going to suggest if you have issues where it looks like one shoulder dips you see a doctor. Mine does the same and I found out when I was 25 I had a "slight" case of scoliosis. (Just to rule that out of course) My right side dips and I have had to adjust my workouts to where I use DB's alot to make sure I am working the correct muscles. Took progress pictures the other day and noticed one side of my back looks bigger than the other. I finally decided to make an appointment to go see a doctor because it is becoming more noticeable as I put on more muscle. I don't have any pain at all so I never worried too much about it.

But my right side is bigger than my left and I am right handed. Bigger bicep, bigger thigh, bigger butt cheek I notice it when I wear tight jeans or pants. No one else probably can notice but I do. Feel all lop-sided.
    **DIRTYSOUTHCREW**
    #sizeistheprizeswoleisthegoal

IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Are you doing DB work, or just BB?

If only BB, the strong side might be picking up more of the workload.
    Might consider using dumbells instead of barbells if that is the case.
    Any workout you can walk away from is a good workout.

[QUOTE=danap3681;867192021]I am going to suggest if you have issues where it looks like one shoulder dips you see a doctor. Mine does the same and I found out when I was 25 I had a "slight" case of scoliosis. (Just to rule that out of course) My right side dips and I have had to adjust my workouts to where I use DB's alot to make sure I am working the correct muscles. Took progress pictures the other day and noticed one side of my back looks bigger than the other. I finally decided to make an appointment to go see a doctor because it is becoming more noticeable as I put on more muscle. I don't have any pain at all so I never worried too much about it./QUOTE]

I am actually seeing my doctor for an unrelated matter next week but i will bring this up as well to see if he notices a difference.

Originally Posted by IdahoViking View Post
    Are you doing DB work, or just BB?

If only BB, the strong side might be picking up more of the workload.
    Might consider using dumbells instead of barbells if that is the case.
    Nope i use DBs only except for decline bench due to this issue however it has yet to help!

x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    [QUOTE=goldbondmafia;867231421]
    Originally Posted by danap3681 View Post
    I am going to suggest if you have issues where it looks like one shoulder dips you see a doctor. Mine does the same and I found out when I was 25 I had a "slight" case of scoliosis. (Just to rule that out of course) My right side dips and I have had to adjust my workouts to where I use DB's alot to make sure I am working the correct muscles. Took progress pictures the other day and noticed one side of my back looks bigger than the other. I finally decided to make an appointment to go see a doctor because it is becoming more noticeable as I put on more muscle. I don't have any pain at all so I never worried too much about it./QUOTE]

I am actually seeing my doctor for an unrelated matter next week but i will bring this up as well to see if he notices a difference.

Nope i use DBs only except for decline bench due to this issue however it has yet to help!
    If it were me i would target that weak point by hitting it hard....... to as the pros say"bring it up". I would focus on mind/muscle control by doing isometric flexing then do "singles" or 1 side at a time with a focus on the squeeze and hold at the top. But that's just me.

Incognito447 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just a quick survey please. How many guys here sleep on their side? I have this problem as well, I am right handed however my left pec, shoulder, trap, and outer tricep are developing better than my right side. I came to wonder whether my sleep position was to blame, so for a few nights now I have been sleeping on my right side and have felt DOMs focused on my right side. Please reply with your sleep habits or adjusting and let me know.

LeanLuke has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LeanLuke has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LeanLuke has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LeanLuke has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LeanLuke has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

I've pretty much balanced mine out. They were fairly lopsided, but now they are fairly close. It's not a noticable difference anyway. It took me a while, but with effort i think its accomplishable. I found some good info here:

www.whyisonepecbigger.com

so check that out if you like

Registered User miamibodybuilder's Avatar
    miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000)
    you're definitely right in assuming you're not the only one suffering from this. i have been trying to fix this problem for years and to this day am still battling it with my chest. what i can say is that it can improve and get better. what i started doing is continuing a set even after i was done with it, but just with my weak side. let me explain, and to make a point, i only do this with machines and hammer strength equipment. lets say i'm using the flat hammer strength machine, i'll do my normal set of so and so number of reps, i'll drop the weight, wait 5 to 10 seconds and then with my weak side only i'll push to get a few more reps with that side alone. it has worked wonders, but remember that muscle growth is a slow process so it takes time. but like i said it can be done.
    NGA Natural bodybuilder
    AAEFX Board Rep
    Team Natural Freak

Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000)
    For me, my muscle imbalances/asymetry is caused by back issues that have lovingly spread to other parts of my body.

Good luck, OP - we've all got our battles to fight.
    I don't lift weights, I flex under duress.

My 12 month progress thread
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155962953&p=1113020323#post1113020323

MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Juggertha View Post
    For me, my muscle imbalances/asymetry is caused by back issues that have lovingly spread to other parts of my body.

Good luck, OP - we've all got our battles to fight.
    feel your pain. similar issues for me

Consistency. Intensity. Medtreker's Avatar
    Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000)

So, So true. Noobs never believe it, but So True.
    Tony

"Punch It Bishop"

ruddy82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yes mate might be true. I think I will try and use DB for training instead of the bar because one arm might be taking more of the weight than the other.

bouser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Great thread. I am ambidextrous with a smaller right pec. Born left handed, this is a right handed world so I adapted. Most days are 60/40 60% right handed.

DessieB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by bouser View Post
    Great thread. I am ambidextrous with a smaller right pec. Born left handed, this is a right handed world so I adapted. Most days are 60/40 60% right handed.

I had this problem and I feel I have nearly balanced out the issue, however I have noticed other imbalances during scrutiny. My trap, shoulder and tricep on the smaller pec size is larger than the other side, I guess due to the compensation for the weaker smaller pec. So this introduced a number of required changes in my training.

When I realised that development was not equal on both sides I analysied my form and I noticed the position of my elbow at full pec stretch was different on the smaller side than the other side and also as I contracted the pec I also noticed the elbow was unstable through the movement, I guess subconciously repositioned it to enable the lift. This work pushed more effoert into the shoulders and triceps and away from the chest.

I decided to pre-exhaust the pecs with flies then run into a moderate weight combination movement ensuring the form locked in the pecs. This took the effort I was previous excerting away from the shoulders and triceps and placed into the pecs where it was intended. The result was better development, still not 100% balanced but much better.

The tricep and shoulder group issue on the larger pec side was addressed by introducing standing dumbell press which really isolates the shoulders thus enabling me to select an appropriate weight to bring the shoulder development in line and single arm reverse tricep extension which targeted the less develop inner head of the tricep. For the trap it was slightly different as I noticed the elbow and wrist where not positioned correctly, again a compensation action for the stronger left shoulder

So where am I am now?!...shoulders, traps and arms are balanced to a point where only I notice and the pec development imbalance is barely noticeable only from a standing side pose.

So I guess check your form is the really answer

Whats1a1squat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Whats1a1squat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Whats1a1squat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Whats1a1squat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Whats1a1squat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Whats1a1squat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Whats1a1squat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Whats1a1squat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Whats1a1squat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Whats1a1squat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Whats1a1squat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Pec imbalance, scoliosis

Hey so, I have had this problem that lately has been really bugging me. I looked in a mirror with a mirror next to it so I was seeing my true image, not mirrored. I hope that makes sense. Basically I always see myself mirrored and have thought I look pretty balanced. Well when I saw my true image one pec looked way smaller than the other and misshapen. I was diagnosed with scoliosis and this goes along with that because my sternum is slightly slanted, and seems to cut of the amount of room my left pec has to grow.

I experimented by taking a photo of myself in the mirror and flipping the image, the mirror one looked fine but the flipped one looked all wack
    The question I have is, will this always be prevelant because of my scoliosis

Cliffs: left pec weird because of minor scoliosis, but only in my true image, not mirrored.

Felt like this thread kind of pertained to my issue, especially with the person who has minor scoliosis as well.