Thread: Keto vs. Paleo

In Starvation Mode Brklyns_Finest's Avatar
    Brklyns_Finest will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brklyns_Finest will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brklyns_Finest will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brklyns_Finest will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brklyns_Finest will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brklyns_Finest will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brklyns_Finest will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brklyns_Finest will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brklyns_Finest will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brklyns_Finest will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brklyns_Finest will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Keto vs. Paleo

Found an interesting article in which the author outlines a sort of "aggressive" take on the paleo diet.

Read through it and many of the comments below, and it seems the only real difference between this and a ketogenic diet in the more traditional sense is the exclusion of dairy (other than butter) and the inclusion of a very limited amount (author mentions about 15% of daily cals max) of carbs from baked potatoes (fully loaded, of course ) and sweet potatoes. Other than that, it seems to be the same, with the same proposed health benefits such as better cholesterol, lower risk of many diseases, better sleep, more energy, etc.

Any thoughts on one versus the other? Better, worse, essentially the same?

EDIT: forgot to post the article, HERP DERP

http://www.gnolls.org/1141/eat-like-...ational-guide/
    Last edited by Brklyns_Finest; 04-14-2012 at 11:53 AM.
    275->180->248... Next stop, 150

"It ain't about how hard you can hit. Its about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward, how much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" ---Rocky Balboa

"Don't let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use."

DISCIPLINE + PATIENCE = SUCCESS

alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    paleo just seems elites, but both good diets in my opinion.
    Brazilian Crew [<O>]
    Keto(since 11/11/2011)

skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    It all just boils down to eating healthy food. When people remove things like bread from their diet and focus on fresh meat and veggies.... suddenly its a "low carb diet". Just dont mention it to the bros.
    I've gained and lost over 100lbs more times than any man alive should. Do as I say and not as I do.

KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I didn't read the link. "Keto" is not necessarily "Paleo', nor is "Paleo" necessarily "Keto". Paleo is more about elimination of discordant foods that lead to problems.
    I'll take arrogance and the inevitable hubris over self-doubt and lack of confidence, anyday.......

Carus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Carus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Carus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Carus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Carus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Carus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Carus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Carus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Carus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Carus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Carus is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Keto is a temporary diet for getting lean. Paleo is meant to be a way of life.

Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Carus View Post
    Keto is a temporary diet for getting lean.

No.
    "Arterial plaque is primarily composed of unsaturated fats particularly polyunsaturated ones." (Felton, C V, et al, Lancet, 1994, 344:1195)

How to bulk: http://70sbig.com/food/

Diet = http://i52.tinypic.com/21bhop.png
    ...or something like this daily. Problem? ;)

FFMI = 24

DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I actually emailed Rob Wolf about this (because I dont want to give up my casein+coconut milk+heavy cream shakes) and he told me two things.

1. Many people can handle dairy (but make sure its made from grass fed cows), but eliminate and see if things get better for you.
    2. The primary difference between low carb and paleo is the focus on food quality, grass-fed beef, free-range fowl and eggs, ect.

Cool and fun to read article tho
    Last edited by DustyChicago; 04-15-2012 at 12:20 PM.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=608052853&posted=1#post608052853

BEARS, CUBS, BULLS, HAWKS, SOX, MMA

357mag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 357mag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 357mag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 357mag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 357mag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 357mag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 357mag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 357mag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 357mag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 357mag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 357mag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by DustyChicago View Post
    I actually emailed Rob Wolf about this (because I dont want to give up my casein+coconut milk+heavy cream shakes) and he told me two things.

1. Many people can handle dairy (but make sure its made from grass fed cows), but eliminate and see if things get better for you.
    2. The primary difference between low carb and paleo is the focus on food quality, grass-fed beef, free-range fowl and eggs, ect.

I took a genetics test and it confirmed what I had suspected, I am likely lactose intolerant. They check one of 3 variants and mine clearly is the variant that releases less enzymes, it says I can usually have a glass a day? or so I think but I am trying (albiet it hard) to cut it from my diet completely. I was told that everyone is lactose intolerant, in that, eventually you will run in to a problem if you drink too much, just the same with any food I believe, your body can only churn out so many enzymes. Probably best in general to keep a balanced approach to food.

I agree with the grass fed approach and I would say, Raw milk is the way to do, might help with the whole lactose thing, for safety reasons, I personally avoid it. Grass fed cows are still going to produce milk with lactose so if there is an issue, best to limit consumption if you have the genetic variant.
    A former shadow of myself

KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by DustyChicago View Post

#1, yes.
    #2, no. Eating so-called health foods is a matter of personal choice, not the main focus of paleo, which is elimination/reduction of foods which are evolutionarily discordant on a biochemical basis. True, there is ongoing debate on such topics within the paleo community, with debate on types of animal fats being fairly common.
    I'll take arrogance and the inevitable hubris over self-doubt and lack of confidence, anyday.......

Here's an explanation for lactose intolerance:
    http://www.bionity.com/en/encyclopedia/Neoteny.html

DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by KLMARB View Post
    #2, no. Eating so-called health foods is a matter of personal choice, not the main focus of paleo, which is elimination/reduction of foods which are evolutionarily discordant on a biochemical basis. True, there is ongoing debate on such topics within the paleo community, with debate on types of animal fats being fairly common.
    Just what Robb Wolf told me... I'd tend to agree on the beef tip as omega fats ratios are important.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=608052853&posted=1#post608052853

BEARS, CUBS, BULLS, HAWKS, SOX, MMA

lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Some paleo reading

http://nutridylan.blogspot.com/
    - the march 26 entry
    and
    http://nutridylan.blogspot.com/searc...max-results=10
    - march 17th entry