HoustonLegend will become famous soon enough. (+50) HoustonLegend will become famous soon enough. (+50) HoustonLegend will become famous soon enough. (+50) HoustonLegend will become famous soon enough. (+50) HoustonLegend will become famous soon enough. (+50) HoustonLegend will become famous soon enough. (+50) HoustonLegend will become famous soon enough. (+50) HoustonLegend will become famous soon enough. (+50) HoustonLegend will become famous soon enough. (+50) HoustonLegend will become famous soon enough. (+50) HoustonLegend will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Oblique-shrinking exercises?

I used to do a lot of dumbbell sidebends and my obliques are a bit more built like I'd like them to be.. I don't want them to stick out as much, so what are some exercises I can do that will tighten them up and deflate the muscle size a bit? How do side planks in particular target this area?

gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    there are no exercises that decease muscle size. lack of exercise & inadequate nutrition reduces muscle size.
    u should simply avoid training the area.
    "Though the concept is not scientifically validated in detail (it should be considered as a hypothesis rather than a scientific theory), it is useful from a practical standpoint. When training athletes, it is impossible to wait until scientific research provides all of the necessary knowledge." Vladmir M. Zatsiorsky, Ph.D.

sleseur93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sleseur93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sleseur93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sleseur93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sleseur93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sleseur93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sleseur93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sleseur93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Yeah, there's no such thing as spot reducing. Try to just not work your obliques anymore and they should shrink. You can increase your cardio as well.

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    But I thought the obliques helped stabilize the spine while we run, rotate the pelvis during the stride, etc.

firefox16 is just really nice. (+1000) firefox16 is just really nice. (+1000) firefox16 is just really nice. (+1000) firefox16 is just really nice. (+1000) firefox16 is just really nice. (+1000) firefox16 is just really nice. (+1000) firefox16 is just really nice. (+1000) firefox16 is just really nice. (+1000) firefox16 is just really nice. (+1000) firefox16 is just really nice. (+1000) firefox16 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by HoustonLegend View Post
    I used to do a lot of dumbbell sidebends and my obliques are a bit more built like I'd like them to be.. I don't want them to stick out as much, so what are some exercises I can do that will tighten them up and deflate the muscle size a bit? How do side planks in particular target this area?
    HARD CHARGIN

"Obsessed is just a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated"

++ Positive Crew ++

VIsland has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VIsland has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VIsland has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VIsland has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VIsland has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VIsland has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VIsland has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VIsland has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VIsland has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VIsland has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VIsland has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Obliques are made in the kitchen.

Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    everyone (including myself 'sometimes') gets bothered about their obliques, but unless you've got the genetics theres $hit all you can do about it. side bends are going to add the most mass by the way.. but you dont want to leave them untrained. especially if you train the rest of your core hard, or you'll end up with a muscle imbalance.

regardless if you do russian twists, the paloff press or side planks, they will all stimulate the obliques into growth. if anything, your best bet would be the side plank. planks stress the internal muscles more, in this case, the internal obliques, but if you add weight their likely to hypertrophy and affect the external obliques somewhat.

to sum it up, stick with the side planks. planks help to draw in the deeper muscles but they will still effect the outer obliques to a degree.

HoustonLegend will become famous soon enough. (+50) HoustonLegend will become famous soon enough. (+50) HoustonLegend will become famous soon enough. (+50) HoustonLegend will become famous soon enough. (+50) HoustonLegend will become famous soon enough. (+50) HoustonLegend will become famous soon enough. (+50) HoustonLegend will become famous soon enough. (+50) HoustonLegend will become famous soon enough. (+50) HoustonLegend will become famous soon enough. (+50) HoustonLegend will become famous soon enough. (+50) HoustonLegend will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Curlers View Post
    everyone (including myself 'sometimes') gets bothered about their obliques, but unless you've got the genetics theres $hit all you can do about it. side bends are going to add the most mass by the way.. but you dont want to leave them untrained. especially if you train the rest of your core hard, or you'll end up with a muscle imbalance.

regardless if you do russian twists, the paloff press or side planks, they will all stimulate the obliques into growth. if anything, your best bet would be the side plank. planks stress the internal muscles more, in this case, the internal obliques, but if you add weight their likely to hypertrophy and affect the external obliques somewhat.

to sum it up, stick with the side planks. planks help to draw in the deeper muscles but they will still effect the outer obliques to a degree.
    Solid answer that I was looking for. Thanks.

I am aware of the impossibility of "spot reducing", but I was wondering what exercises aren't that harsh on the obliques and trigger the hypertrophy.

How are the obliques affected by situps with a twist (no resistance added) on the bench? Is it mainly internal or external?

Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Solid answer that I was looking for. Thanks.

I am aware of the impossibility of "spot reducing", but I was wondering what exercises aren't that harsh on the obliques and trigger the hypertrophy.

How are the obliques affected by situps with a twist (no resistance added) on the bench? Is it mainly internal or external?
    to be honest, i couldnt say.. im really not sure. with all the other great exercises to choose from i dont see any need for them. Thinking about it, i cant remember the last time i seen someone do those. im pretty sure its been set aside.. with all this 'scientific research' etc. i think i remember reading somewhere that sit ups with a twist are 'bad for you'. probably no worst for you than any other exercise performed with $hitty technique. just dont over twist and you'll be fine. as for how much they affect the obliques, im not sure, but they probably wont get them that big. experiment for a week or 2 and see how you fair. thats all i can say really. hope that helps somewhat..

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by VIsland View Post
    Obliques are made in the kitchen.
    Seeing them is, but building them isn't. Well not anymore than building other muscles would be.

blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by gomez26 View Post
    there are no exercises that decease muscle size. lack of exercise & inadequate nutrition reduces muscle size.
    u should simply avoid training the area.
    ^^this
    "Hey ladies, hey gentlemen, hey everybody...One more time for the Greatest Team in America!!!!"- ERK RUSSELL
    I rep back.
    Got negged twice in one day for believing in God. Guess what? I still believe in God.
    >>>>>Florida State Seminoles Tomahawk Nation Crew>>>>>
    CSCS by the NSCA

seanni11 is not very well liked. (-100) seanni11 is not very well liked. (-100) seanni11 is not very well liked. (-100) seanni11 is not very well liked. (-100) seanni11 is not very well liked. (-100) seanni11 is not very well liked. (-100) seanni11 is not very well liked. (-100) seanni11 is not very well liked. (-100) seanni11 is not very well liked. (-100) seanni11 is not very well liked. (-100) seanni11 is not very well liked. (-100)